Start by marking “Raising the Stakes” as Want to Read:
Raising the Stakes

Raising the Stakes

Hiding from the world…

Tucking herself away in the Adirondack woods was supposed to keep Vivienne Harris safe. From dark memories of the Bronx, from danger, from entanglements. But when an orphaned bear cub raids her pantry and conservation officer Liam Walsh appears with news of poachers nearby, her private, peaceful world is turned upside down!

Suddenly two forces are dr
Published April 1st 2015 by Harlequin Heartwarming

To ask other readers questions about Raising the Stakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising the Stakes

Paula
Vivie Harris moves from the city to the Adirondacks hoping to find a safe place after she was the victim of a brutal assault. One night, Vivie discovers a bear cub has gotten into her kitchen through the open window, seeking out her freshly baked pies. She finds out from handsome conservation officer Liam Walsh, that the cub’s mother was killed by poachers, and therefore, the cub may need to be put down. Vivie then takes it upon herself to rehabilitate the bear, whom she names Button, so it will ...more
Linda
An animal lover and champion of the underdog, Vivienne Harris unexpectedly woke up to find a bear in her kitchen. She noticed that the cub appeared to have a broken jaw. She called the Department of Environmental Conservation for assistance; then he arrived. Officer Liam Walsh: the one she had a previous run-in with. She tried to close the door on him but the toe of his boot was firmly wedged in the doorway.

And so began a story of two wary adults with a suitcase of emotional baggage and one bea
Lola
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

What I liked most about Raising the Stakes was the focus on the animals, it is a romance book, but there's also a lot about the animals. The story follows Vivie who finds a bear cub eating her pies, she realizes the bear is hurt and tries to find help for him. Then officer Liam enters the picture and that's the start of a great story and their romance. They start out as enemies on opposing sides, but grow closer slowly. I wasn't a big fan of the
Desere
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The amazing talent of Karen Rock is back in yet another heartwarming, too good to be true but simply is, read.

This time the author introduced me to Vivienne Harris, hiding out from the world by tucking herself away in the Adirondack woods, it's meant to keep her safe from the dark memories of the Bronx, from danger and from any entanglements.

Then a little visitor in the form of an orphaned bear cub raids her pantry and up shows conservation officer Liam Walsh ! But he brings news of poachers n
Katie W
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've come to love the stories that Karen Rock weaves. Each one is unique and tells the tale of two people falling in love. However, this one is slightly different, but the cover is perfect for this story.

Vivie is seeking a safe, comfortable life in the Adirondack woods in upstate New York. An orphaned bear shows up in her kitchen and when Liam appears to help, her peaceful zone flies out the window. Vivie and Liam butt heads more than once and over many different things--especially when it comes
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This post contains some of my favorite things. Harlequin Heartwarming + Clean Romance + Karen Rock. It all equals a happy me. :)

I don't think this was my very favorite book that Karen Rock has written, but it was still really good. I loved the setting and I could easily picture where the characters were and what they were doing. The characters were well developed and easy to like.

Both Vivie and Liam have inner demons that they struggle with. Vivie especially. Her isolated home is meant to seclud
Heidi
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each time I pick up one of Karen Rock's books, I know I'm going to enjoy a compelling read with a unique plot and characters facing real issues and seemingly impossible obstacles. Raising the Stakes was no exception. I thought the black bear rehabilitation plot element was unusual, yet enjoyable to read. The parallels between the hero and heroine's actions involving the bear and their emotional struggles was well-written, too. And of course, I tip my hat to the author for writing another novel c ...more
Jean
This was a very sweet story.
Vivienne moved to the Adirondack woods to keep herself safe after being attacked. But an orphaned bear, and a handsome conservation officer named Liam, end up pushing her out of her comfort zone.
This was a very well written story and I connected with the characters right away. Vivienne and her animals were very easy to care about, and I won't lie - I definitely shed a tear or two during this story.
Biswanath Banerjee
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
It is a saga of love, care and affection between two species of different kinds.
It is a story of romance with a difference.
Lost amid the wilderness of the Adirondacks- the writer explores a strange world, a world away from the hustling modern city life- where still the gradual blooming of a wild flower excites the young heart, the chirping of the birds sends a message to the listener, beautiful flashing of butterfly wings fills the young mind with imagination.
Where human still cares for others-
Gaby
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one of Karen’s books that I really enjoyed, I ended feeling very happy an optimistic, plus if you’re animal lovers I’m pretty sure you will like this because besides the romance, the animals also play an important part in the story.

This book introduces us to Vivienne Harris, Vivie, who lives in the Adirondacks, a place far from the city, where she believes she would be safe and away from danger, and also from her memories. However one night she wakes up after hearing noises in her kitche
Cynthia
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no doubt this is a heartwarming read of the best kind. If you are an animal lover you are going to want to read this heart touching, soul searching romance. Karen puts so much of herself in this book, so much sorrow, lose, pain. Three lost souls needing help all have demons from their past they must overcome to find a new life. Each must give of themselves to become whole and start life a new with love, tender loving care can this trio finds the match pair. You have one man who stays on ...more
Renita
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second time reading something by this author and I must say that I wasn't let down. Raising The Stakes is a heartwarming love story about two people, Vivienne and Liam and the cuddly circumstance that thrusts them together.
Vivienne has come to the Adirondacks looking to rebuild her life in peace and quiet, after leaving her life in the city behind. She enjoyed the quiet all the way up until she finds her kitchen ransacked by an orphaned bear cub who she decides to love and protect. U
Roberta
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After being attacked on the way home from work, Vivie Harris decides that she will never feel safe in the Bronx again. She decides that moving to the Adirondacks will provide her and her pets a quiet life. A local diner lets her use her pie making skills and make friends with long time residents.

Vivie’s sense of security is shattered one night when she hears a crash. The thief is a hungry orphaned bear cub who devours several of her cooling pies.
The bear cub’s mother has been killed by poachers
Teresa
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I was given a copy of this book for my honest review.
It's an adorable read. I have to say adorable because of the baby bear.
The Story is about Vivie, who had been attacked and raped years earlier in Boston, Liam a DEC officer, who had seen too much in the war, Buttons the baby bear whose mother was killed by some poachers, Jinx the cat who is blind in one eye, and Scooter the old dog who is now deaf.
Vivie inherited her Aunt's farmhouse in the Adirondack Mountains and moved there to open a cafe
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE .

Now, this cover is an interesting change from the usual fare of half-naked people embracing!

Clearly – as the cover tells you – the star of this book is the bear cub. Maybe I’m missing my kittens, but I was in the right mood to read about a baby bear being rescued! I have no idea how accurate any of this was – especially as we don’t have any bears in Australia! – but it seemed to be very, VERY well-researched. I think the author did an excellent job giving all the animals
Ashley
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never met a Karen Rock book I didn't love. And this was no exception! If you love animals, and you love watching two people not only fall in love, but also discover what it really means to live again after tragedy has struck, than you need to read this book. Now.

I cannot accurately describe all of the emotions I experienced while reading this book. There was this one, VERY powerful moment for me. I want you to experience it all for yourself, but here was my status update after reading it:

"A
Sofia Lazaridou
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I end up loving the animals more than I love the humans in a book. With Raising the stakes that were the case. I don't know if it was because the characters didn't have a big impact on me or because I found most if the animals cute. Button seemed like a very lovable cub.

I read the book late at night and I googled the word rattlesnake because I wanted to see what kind of animal was a danger to Button. I shouldn't have since the snake big and scary. It didn't help with my snake phobia. A
Zee Monodee
This is the first Karen Rock story I have read...and it definitely won't be the last! Ms. Rock writes with an easy prose and such a smooth flow that before you know it, you find yourself into the tale and engrossed in her characters' lives. I was rooting for Vivie and Liam from that very first sardonic smile of his and Vivie's miffed realization that he's the one the conservation services have sent, as she's already butted heads with him before.
I did find Vivie a bit over the top sometimes - too
Anita
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know wildlife isn't supposed to be cuddly, but I would like to give Buttons (the bear cub) a big ol' squeeze.
The three characters in this book, Vivie, Liam and Buttons, have each suffered a tragedy that has changed the direction of their lives. Only together can they provide the tools the other two need to heal.
I liked each of the characters, the conflict, the lessons learned. I was interested in knowing how the story would end. The author paints a lovely picture of the Adirondacks.

Rating: 3.
Kelly
I'm glad I stuck with it to finish this book, but... there was really, REALLY too much time spent on the bear rehabilitation. Still, I loved the characters, and I really did enjoy the animal antics.
Joanne
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toni King
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so good! As with every book I've read by Karen Rock so far, I felt as if I was in the story, a part of it...looking forward to more!
Pauline Ang
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-netgalley
Originally posted at Fathomless Reveries

I actually had a hard time choosing which book to read since I wanted my first one after my hibernation to be a good one in order to set my pace, and to bring me out of my reading slump. There were a lot of books that I wanted to read, and it was really hard. In the end, I decided to give Karen Rock's Raising the Stakes a try. I figured I wouldn't be disappointed since out of the three books of hers that I've read, I loved them all. I was certain that this
Laurie Winter
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
They say you can’t judge a book by its cover, but look at that cover. Isn’t that sweet, little bear cub enticing you to grab that book and start reading?

Raising the Stakes by Karen Rock is an animal / romance lovers dream. Vivienne Harris left the large city for the safety of the Adirondack Mountains. When a cub breaks into her house in the middle of the night, Vivie’s life is about to take a ‘wild’ turn.

Liam Walsh, a wildlife officer, answers the call about the stray bear cub. With the cub’s mo
Ems. (afternoonbookery)
I've made no secret of my love for Karen Rock in the past, and my love for Harlequin Heartwarming books is second to none, (although i havent read many). This was what i needed to read, without even knowing i needed to read it- im under the weather and a little bit sad at the moment, this melted my heart and tears slipped from my eyes...of happiness.

Vivie just wants to be safe, so when she is woken in the middle of the night, she automatically fears the worst, heading down the stairs - she sees
Dale Rogers
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Karen Rock has created a beautiful story of romance, tragedy, and triumph. I felt drawn into the novel immediately, and the pages flew by as I was caught up in the unfolding drama of a bear's well-being and future--as well as Vivie's and Liam's.

Not many people would be more concerned about what happens to a bear cub who climbs into their kitchen window than in getting it out of the house, but Vivie would. Perhaps it's partly because she moved so much as a child, leaving everything and
Bonnie
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raising The Stakes by Karen Rock was a very touching story about a bear. The bear cub, Button, fell on her jaw, out of a tree when her mother was shot by poachers. Conservation Officer Liam Walsh did catch the poachers. Button broke in the kitchen window at Vivie's house and was eating the pies Vivie had baked for the restaurant she works at. Vivie bakes them at home and takes them to work to sell. Vivie hears the noise and sees the cub bear and locks it in the pantry. In the morning she calls t ...more
Cathy
"Raising the Stakes" by Karen Rock. Two people, both running scared with emotional baggage, are brought together by an adorable bear cub, Button. Liam, a wildlife officer, is sweet and caring yet hides from his past by never staying put. I liked Liam -he loves his family and loves animals. I felt for him and the guilt he feels over his past. Vivie, moves to the mountains to escape her past. At times, I couldn't stand her - she was so stubborn to the point of making stupid decisions. However, as ...more
Marilyn Jang
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy for an honest review.

This is such a cute story. I absolutely love how Vivienne fought Liam all the way in keeping the bear cub. Liam kept reminding her when ever he could, that Button is not a pet, she is a wild animal and must be treated as such. But Vivienne wouldn't hear of it. After some convincing and coaxing from Liam, Vivienne reluctantly gave in and see if Button was able to survive on her own by taking her out in the wild to feed for herself.

When the time came for But
Kay Swederski
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been lucky this week to read such good and interesting books. I enjoyed reading Raising the Stakes. I found it a fast read and it held my interest till the end. Vivienne had moved out to Adirondack woods to feel safe; after surviving an attack. One night she heard some news down in her kitchen – when she went down she found a scared little bear eating her fresh baked pies. When she calls to report the bear conservation officer Liam Walsh shows up. The bears mother was killed by some poach ...more

• A Man of Influence (Harmony Valley #7)
  • Wicked Needs (Wicked Bay, #5)
  • Summer at the Shore (A Pacific Cove Romance #2)
  • Obsession (Obsession, #1)
  • Bound (Bound Hearts Book 1)
  • Freed by Him (Fighting Free, #1)
  • After the End
  • Accepting the Moon (Moonrising, #0.5)
  • Cornish Crusaders MC (South Coast Brothers #2)
  • Falling into You (Falling, #2)
  • Christmas, Actually
  • Seeking Nirvana (Dark Evoke, #1)
  • I Am Atlas (Playing God, #1)
  • Tortured (Tortured Soul, #1)
  • The Best Medicine (Dilbury Village #3)
  • The Runaway Bride
  • The Girl with Hearts (Midtown Brotherhood #1)
  • The Worst of Me