Start by marking “Someone Bigger” as Want to Read:
Someone Bigger

Someone Bigger

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Sam can't wait to try out his new kite, but Dad says he's too small to fly it alone-it needs someone bigger. When Dad launches the kite, a strong wind pulls it into the sky. But the wind is so strong that it pulls Dad up, too! Only one person can rescue this runaway kite, and Sam knows just who that someone is. With bouncy text-in a combination of rhyme and prose-and cheer ...more
Published March 22nd 2004 by Clarion Books (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Someone Bigger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Bigger

Stephen Barry
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a story with nice, detailed illustrations, of a father flying a kite and his little boy begging for a turn. Dad thinks Sam is too little and everyone has a try at catching the runaway kite, e.g. the postman and his sack of mail, a bank robber escaped from jail... and animals at the zoo, all with great rhyming text and a good paced rhythm. My children love it that all the adults struggle and in the end it is actually the little boy who is just right. This is one of my children's favourite ...more
Caranna
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kiddies
Sam wants to fly his kite but his Dad tells him that he's not big enough. Disaster ensues as a strong wind takes the kite, and Sam's Dad, on a whirl-wind adventure through the town. Everyone the kite passes tries to pull it down, but in-fact the solution to the problem WAS NOT someone bigger, but someone just Sam's size.

Someone Bigger sports bouncy text in a combination of rhyme and prose. The cheerful artwork make it visually appealing to even the smallest readers. This whimsical story is just
Kristie
Sep 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Rhyming text and a tidy ending that inspires and encourages self-confidence.
Miss Sarah
This would make a great extension for preschool and up about a boy and his dad flying a kite. The father won't let the boy fly it because he is to small but everyone else is getting pulled away by the kite. Will the boy ever get his chance?
Jill
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, you are just big enough.
Lidia
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although it is a fantasy, it reminded me that kids deserve a chance to try and impress us.
Kelly K.
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Someone Bigger by Jonathan Emmett

>Summary: A boy named Sam and his father decided to build and fly a kite. When they take it out to fly, Sam asks his father if he can fly the kite but doesn't let him because he is too small. So Sam stands and watches his dad fly the kite. Then a big gust of wind picks up Sam’s father and blows him away. Sam continues to ask his dad if he can fly the kite despite his father is being blown away. Community members like a police man, mail man, fire fighter and va
Laura Allen
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is very special to me and my daughter. We read it many many times when she was younger and she then read it to me when she learnt to read. We love a good rhyme and the illustrations are wonderful! We saved it, stored away for 10 years at least, until 3 months ago her baby brother was born and we got the same copy out and are all enjoying it all over again! Couldn't recommend it more for young children.
Caroline
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
A kid saves the day by grabbing the string of a kite when his father, townspeople, and animals are all pullled up in the air with the kite.

The kids in story time really liked this one. They were engaged and I saw lots of smiles.
Sian Taylor
I love this book; the illustrations and use of rhyme make it a wonderful bedtime story. Effectively gets across the message that size isn't important, which is always useful with little children who always ' want to be bigger'.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fathers, growing-up, kites
A little boy desperately wants to fly a kite he and his father made together, but is consistently told (by all the people swooped off the ground by the kite - including some very large zoo animals) this kite needs someone bigger!

Great illustrations.
Kate
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
It's very good...but it kind of reminds me of Stuck and it's just not quite as engaging for me. I think it's a bit too traditional for my taste since I prefer more subversive and edgy children's books.
Brooke
Sweet story, but the rhyme gets a little too wordy at times. I started abbreviating the text for Owen just to get the story for him. A fun one-timer to read to your kids. Get it at the library.
Marie
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very creative and a fun read!
Jess
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
December 2016 - this is a storytime favorite of mine, and Ben really liked it, especially since he's into the idea of getting bigger. One of those rhyming stories that's bouncy and fun to read aloud.
Molly
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute read aloud used in a kite storytime.
Jeffrey
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Easily my favorite children's book written this decade. I first encountered this whimsical tale of kite flying at a library story time. Afterward I immediately went to find a copy for my home.

Michelle
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
My girls love this book. Not only does the kid learn that he can do great things at any size, but he also saves the firemen!
Lesley Wade personal
Aug 18, 2012
Chester
Sep 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Jonathan Emmett was born in Leicestershire in 1965, the son of a factory fitter and a primary school teacher.

Jonathan loved books from an early age and some of his earliest memories are of visiting his local library. The picture books that he borrowed then, including Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss and Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson h

More about Jonathan Emmett