Start by marking “Conscious UnparentingTM: Our 1970s Spin on Modern-Day Motherhood” as Want to Read:
Conscious UnparentingTM: Our 1970s Spin on Modern-Day Motherhood

Conscious UnparentingTM: Our 1970s Spin on Modern-Day Motherhood

As children of the carefree 1970s, Kim Kinzie and Dawn Michael felt unprepared for the endless demands of 21st century parenting. Was it just the two of them who found motherhood so taxing? Dumbfounded, they asked fellow moms to share their feelings about raising children.

Initially, conversations were polite and scripted. Determined to get to the truth, the authors took a
Published February 10th 2015 by Two '70s Moms Publishing (first published January 23rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Conscious UnparentingTM, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conscious UnparentingTM

Start your review of Conscious UnparentingTM: Our 1970s Spin on Modern-Day Motherhood
Catherine
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you'll see from our stories, we embody a "different" sort of parenting: one that's more relaxed and less guilt-ridden, one that mixes the best of the '70s with the best of today. Taking a cue from Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin's "conscious uncoupling," we are calling this philosophy "conscious unparentingTM'" -- intentionally taking a step back from hyper-parenting and diverting that freed-up energy to attending to your own needs.
To embrace this mindset, you don't need to become a pretenti
Mary
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway, and was very excited when it arrived with a great letter and little disco ball charm. At last...a non-parenting book about parenting!

I really liked certain parts of the book. The authors made great points about how we've become a kid-centric society and that there's really and truly nothing wrong with taking time to nurture ourselves as adults. After all, our parents who raised us in the 1970s didn't spend every waking minute making sure we were comfy an
Nicole Donovan
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a fun and quick read. I value and applaud the 2 ladies who co-wrote this for their honesty and vulnerability. It makes other Moms not feel alone or crazy or judged. Great book to gift to friends :)
Bill
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This very funny look at current parenting methods should be read by all who have small children and all who are considering having children. It is well written, smart and humorous, very well worth the effort.
Dawn Stricker
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yes! Buy copies of this book for all your Mom friends for Mother's Day then make a date to open a bottle of wine and discuss while the kids tear around the yard.
Evann
Mar 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn’t what I thought it would be. I was hoping for ideas about raising kids, this seemed more like a series of bitch sessions.
Jill
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All moms
Such a great read! I not only laughed out loud but also found myself nodding my head (in agreement) throughout the entire book. The message is so refreshing in this age of helicopter parenting and it made me feel like I'm not alone as I fumble my way through motherhood! A great book to get us all sharing our experiences and talking about the pitfalls of modern-day motherhood.
Anthony
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book filled with short stories that will make you think and make you laugh. Any adult caretaker of children will appreciate the challenges that both Kim and Dawn talk about as they try to navigate modern parenting. Those of us who were raised in the 70's can appreciate the stark difference in how kids are now raised. A quick read but stories and advice that will resonate.
Anna Johnson
I appreciate their honesty, but mostly it seemed like I was just reading a bitchy parenting blog: in book form. Yes, we need to chill out sometimes as moms. Yes, we need community and self care. No, we should not judge others. These aren't new ideas to me. My friends and I could totally write our own book like this. In fact, maybe we will!
Karen Engeian
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book, would be perfect for a book club discussion. Such an easy read and with honest and hilarious stories about the realities of motherhood. So refreshing to know that I'm not alone!
Sep 09, 2016
Kate
rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2015
Christine Harding
Mar 03, 2015
Kathleen
rated it did not like it
Oct 29, 2017
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Apr 23, 2015
Kim Kinzie
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Since i wrote this book, my review cannot be trusted so I won't waste your time.
Chris Spinelli