Start by marking “Pumpkin” as Want to Read:

(A Cindermama Story #1)

Single mother Malika “Pumpkin” Tavares lost faith in fairytales after she fell for a toad. Now she believes she’s not cut from the storybook, heroine cloth and searches for Mr. Good Enough amongst the sidekicks and supporting men of the town.

Love at first sight isn’t a cliche for town royalty Armand “Manny” Charmayne. For generations the Charmaynes have spotted their soulm
Published March 10th 2015 by Heartspell Media, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pumpkin

Start your review of Pumpkin
Camille
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
2 stars for the cutesy fairy tale spin, which was sweet...even though we know nothing of what the hero looks like besides having grey eyes. I kept seeing these disembodied grey eyes floating around. Anyway.

3 stars though for the heroine, an English high school teacher, addressing the "customer is always right" model that is American education.

Because, thank you!

The customer of course being the lazy, indisciplined little fucks who think showing up in class entitles them to an A grade participat
Francesca Forrest
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was great in all kinds of ways. I thought the overall structure--retelling of Cinderella with a single mom in the title role--was really well executed, and I liked that it was self-consciously done. (Pumpkin has dreams of being a screenwriter, and she's always thinking in terms of casting, plots, movies, etc.) I really liked the setting and background drama: the election, with the accompanying conflict between the fishermen and the BP-like company that's polluted the waters off the coast of ...more
Sophia
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awww

This was a beautiful story. I enjoyed reading this book. Very Cinderella like. Manny was a wealthy bachelor looking for the one and she was standing in front of him the whole time. Pumpkin (Malika) had given up on love because of the frog that abandoned her. But an accidental encounter led her to her prince.
Courtney Filigenzi
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fun and entertaining single-mom fairy-tale that kept me turning the pages! I adored Pumpkin and enjoyed her journey to her happily-ever-after! I'm looking forward to reading more books in this series. ...more
Empi Baryeh
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Taking a fairy tale and giving it a modern twist can be tricky, which is why I approach fairy tale adaptations with caution. Although, to be honest this one had me at 'cindermama' (and the simple, but beautiful cover design).

Where do I start! The story starts off with an introduction to the heroine, Pumpkin, and her unenviable relationship with her cousins. In drawing a contrast between Pumpkin and her cousins, the author is able to show her heroine to be a woman of substance.

The first meeting w
Clare O'Beara
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: america-romance
Malika Tavares is affectionately known as Pumpkin by her two sisters. The three ladies are all single moms. But Malika had a marriage - which failed - and the other ladies just judge men by the size of the child support they are likely to provide. Malika went to college and now teaches. She has given up on ever finding a Mr Right, because there are no moms in the fairytales she was handed as a child. More important is to raise her young son well.

Then Malika meets a dashing young would-be politi
Lisa Tetting
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you believe in fairy tales? Well I certainly do and so does the mc in this book, Pumpkin.

Pumpkin is a modern day Cinderella with a twist. She's a single mother! When her parents died in a car wreck, young Pumpkin was taken in by her mean spirited aunt and raised with her cousins, who make her life miserable. After college she rushed into a loveless marriage due to an unexpected pregnancy, only to find herself deserted by her husband soon after. Her evil twin cousins are stereotypical short s
Deena
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute read. Loved the fairy tale aspect. It took me a minute to get into the story, but I enjoyed it.
Nicole
May 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook, erotica
OMG! A confusion of fairytale stories and way too many metaphors! The opening chapters were the worst but it does continue through the book. I love rewritten fairy stories; I even wrote a paper on the them as an undergraduate but a writer needs to be clear in her ideas. The shame here is that the links to Cinderella were often quite clever. Ines Johnson needs a good editor with a big red pen to stop her from going too far.
Melody
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story

Nice twist on an old fairy tale. Enjoyed the story plan on reading the next one. I really liked it.
Michaela
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great read! Now I need the second one. Pumpkin and Manny were a modern fairytale romance. Filled with second chances and recasting the roles of ones own destiny.
Goth Gone Grey
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales, 2018
Fairy tales, movies, and the modern world entwined

Fairy tale retellings are a fun genre. This is a modern version, playful and fun. Pumpkin is a beautiful single (kinda) mom, escaping into movie plots and envisioning her life as one. Mr. Charmayne (or Charming, whatever shoe fits) is a handsome, rich local politician and businessman.

The secondary characters of Pumpkin's family are LaStereotypes, from their names to their life choices. Modern day villains, I suppose, but they left me a bit uncom
Sybil Pun
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true Cinderella!!!

So, I started this book in a rushed thinking that I knew what it was about but little did I know that if I didn't slow down or stopped,skipping, I would have to re-read it to its entirety so I could truly understand and did I understood....
This was truly a work of art how the author was able to put on paper, black and white, how low self esteem can actually destroy a human being.
Pumpkin was the average, low self esteem, single mother, struggling and in a fairy tale worl, the
Corrie DeWolfe (Corrie's Book Nook)
Modern take on a classic fairytale...
3.5 ⭐

This was a cute read. I loved the awkward cynicism of Malika "Pumpkin" Tavares. And the charming, community centred, Armand "Manny" Charmayne.

The comfortable camaraderie between the two is refreshing. Showing their flaws, and their humanness within themselves.

And the smexy times, not too shabby.

Trigger/Content Warning for those that have any sort of trauma with abandonment, particularly familial. Or wretched family relations.
Kimberly Treamer
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-read, kindle
Chelsea Nicole
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was completely silly but I liked the spin on the typical Cinderella tale. What I found very weird is that the characters tells you exactly what is going to happen. I wished Manny had a better description because I couldn't really wrap my head around what he or his aunt looked like. While it wasn't a terribly bad book I think it could have benefited with having younger characters. Everyone in this was way too immature. ...more
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Pumkin had her hand full with her child and two grown children, her cousins and their children. She never ever expected to be swept off her feet in front of the welfare office. Then swept in to politics and the limelight she did not want anything to do with it. This was a different take on Cinderella. With some urban flare.
Sheena Breland
New age Cinderella story

All the characters are there, just in a different way. This was a fun and quirky yet predictable Cinderella tale. There were some spins that kept it interesting. There were also a few grammatical errors that caused pause but didn’t prevent me from finishing and enjoying the story.
Michele
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would give this book 4 1/2 stars. The plot and writing were really enjoyable, and seeing the growth of the characters was happily unexpected. My only gripe was the portrayal of Pumpkin's family, too stereotypical "welfare queens". She could have had unsupportive family members without perpetuating this harmful narrative. ...more
Katie Jo
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this retelling of Cinderella. There needs to be more contemporary stories about single mothers and women of color. Ms. Johnson does a great job smashing stereotypes while not avoiding the issues many people face. I love that Pumpkin is not a weak woman, but still has her faults. It's refreshing to read realistic characters that are written with heart. ...more
April
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I liked Malika/Pumpkin well enough, the secret she kept from Darrell and Manny even though she had time to tell both was one thing I didn't like about her. The overall theme feels like one that has been done before so this story didn't add anything new as far as I could tell. Not sure if I would read any more in this series or not. ...more
Allegra
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like no other fairytale

What a fun read! With reference to fairytale characters of our youth, this adult version is fun and sexy. A real page turner. Downloading another book now....
Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams
The love story of Pumpkin (Malik's) and Manny (Armand). Pumpkin is a single mom who has stop believing in love. She meets Manny and her hold world changes. Can Pumpkin find her dream again or will she find another frog. Get story and African-American Cinderella story. ...more
Cheryl Lopatka
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting story

I enjoyed reading this Cinderella-like story with a political background. They left a few important story elements unanswered but the ending was still satisfying.
Anne Turnley
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adult love

Pumpkin is a straight arrow, A high school teacher and single mother. Her husband walked out 3 years ago. She becomes involved with a man running for mayor and his best friend.
Sue Lauzon
This book was just an okay read for me. The storyline was a little to cliché for me with all the Cinderella and fairytale references. It was a quick and easy read. I also wanted to smack her aunt and her two cousins.
gail addison
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

I enjoyed escaping for a little while with the story. Not too long for a quiet afternoon read. nice ending
Linda
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pumpkin

I really enjoyed this book. The characters were interesting and the story line was good. I couldn’t put this book down until I finished it.
Angel Graham
Just No. I didn't like anything about this book except for the son. ...more
Fatmata Sankoh
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. From start to finish I was hooked. It was funny and exciting. The characters and storyline were well written. A definite must read.
« previous 1 3 next »
The MFRW Book Place: Week of June 17: Pumpkin (Cindermama #1) 2 3 Jun 17, 2015 06:33PM

• Kiss The Bride (Montana Born Brides #5; The Davis Sisters #2)
  • A Taste of Seduction (An Unlikely Husband #1)
  • A Teaspoon of Trouble (Bachelor Bake-Off #1)
  • Not You It's Me (Boston Love, #1)
  • No Pants Required (Men Of Laguna, #1)
  • The Earl's Winning Wager  (Lords for the Sisters of Sussex #2)
  • The Perfect Debutante (The Not So Saintly Sisters, #1)
  • Perfect Husband: A Fake Marriage Romance
  • Wild in Love (The Maverick Billionaires, #5)
  • An Unexpected Gentleman (The Haverston Family #2)
  • The Paramedic's Second Chance  (Hawthorne Harbor #1)
  • The Farmer's Wealthy Bride (Big Bertha's Mail Order Brides #4)
  • Philip's Rules (Bridal Discipline #1)
  • Someone's Been Sleeping in My Bed (Fairy Tale Romance #3)
  • The Fall of Lord Drayson (Tanglewood, #1)
  • The Duchess of Chocolate (Rare Confectionery, #1)
  • Lone Star Nights (Texas Justice, #2)
  • Where Hearts Meet (Jasmine Cottage #1)

A Cindermama Story (3 books)
  • Rumpeled