Start by marking “Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales

Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales

The everlasting tales of this favorite storyteller are celebrated in this colorful compendium. Eight stories such as Silly Hans, The Ugly Duckling, Thumbelina, and The Princess and the Pea are each illustrated by a different artist in full color.
Paperback, First edition, 512 pages
Published 2014 by Miles Kelly

To ask other readers questions about Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales

Noninuna
It was okay. Nothing fantastic about it. The narrator was excellent tho!
Jane
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A summer re-read, and what an excellent choice! An outsider himself, Andersen gets to the heart of abandonment, loss and cruelty. And yet he is also
funny and slyly observant of humanity's minor quirks. Rackham's illustrations, while perhaps not his best work (Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens would be my choice), are still a delight to see. He even took a trip to Copenhagen to get a feel for the architecture and Danish spirit.
Chris J
I read this to my girls who, while being well-acquainted to fairy land, had yet to be introduced to the more tragic tales of Andersen or Grimm.

I thus enjoyed seeing the shock on the girls' faces when the Steadfast Tin Soldier, only just miraculously reunited with his paper maiden, is in the story's final paragraph then flippantly tossed into the fireplace fire in an older brother's act of cruelty.

This is a fun read and the stories are re-told well in language my eight and five year old followe
Amy Westgarth
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I so wanted to love this collection, but... meh.

We all know the classics: The Little Mermaid, The Ugly Duckling, The Snow Queen etc, but when was the last time you actually sat down and read them?

There's a lot of weird stuff. Yes, sometimes dark and many stories have a death or sadness in, but I don't mean that, I was expecting that. I wasn't expecting the Christian overtones in a lot of the tales. The Lord this, God that etc. Also some of the smaller stories just didn't seem to have a point t
Keith
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great collection of stories. I was surprised by many because of how serious and sad some of them were. I do not know if any were changed for a modern audience or made softer but if they were I would think the originals would be hard to read for adults and even more for children.
Jaimie
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this is exactly what an illustrated collection of fairytales should be! Wonderful stories in their original format (or close enough to, since Andersen didn't write in English) are paired with a good mix of line illustrations and paintings, which are further solidified with well-designed page layout, book size, and quality inking and paper. I would expect nothing less of Viking publishers, as they generally produce very high quality reproductions of historical fairytale collections from all t ...more
Ivan Sagesse
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hay varios cuentos muy buenos:

El cuento de la Rana con el diamante en la cabeza. Este cuento hace la analogía de una rana con un diamante imaginario en la cabeza con las personas que buscan su verdadero camino, son libres y siguen sus sueños sin importar lo que el mundo opina.

La historia de Rudy, el joven montañés. Es la historia de la vida de un joven que vive en las montañas heladas y su relación con la virgen de los ventisqueros (una encarnación de la muerte).

La niña de los cerillos. Histori
Isabel
The stories were great (how can you go wrong with HCA?) but the pictures were a bit sparse and not my favorites. It's a good collection of tales, though, including several I hadn't come across before.
Ila
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Completely changed my view of a lot of classic fairy tales! it was an awesome read.
Ümit Mutlu
Gizli hüzünbazların şahı, güzel insan HC Andersen, sana ve buz gibi soğuk Odense'ye selam ederim.
Theresa
Andersen's Fairy Tales (Hardcover)
by Hans Christian Andersen
a great collection of pictures and prose
Estelle Miller
I understand they are classics, and that they were in another language originally, but they're still super odd. Still, it wasn't too bad - it was mostly interesting.
Hugo Ribeiro
Feb 05, 2011
Eloisa
Jun 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express themes that transcend age and nationalit ...more