Start by marking “Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love” as Want to Read:
Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love

Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love

The creators of the bestselling BAD APPLES: FIVE SLICES OF HALLOWEEN HORROR team up once again to bring you five dark tales of twisted love.

ELEANOR, by Jason Parent

When Father Stuart McKenzie finds a disfigured girl abandoned on the steps of his church, he decides the child is a blessing from God and raises her as his own. But the special needs of Eleanor demand more from
Published March 16th 2015 by Corpus Press

Start your review of Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love
Kimberly
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

DEAD ROSES is a collection of dark tales from the authors that brought us BAD APPLES. As with its predecessor, we have five distinct tales--this time dealing with the theme of "twisted love" in various guises.

The first story, "Eleanor", by Jason Parent, was my personal favorite in this collection. It's an emotionally charged story about a love that should never be--and yet, profoundly "understandable" at the same time. How desperate are we all to be loved and accepted? To what lengths
Gregor Xane
Feb 14, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: 2015
Released March 16, 2015!

Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love is available in paperback and eBook.

Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada | Amazon Australia

Also, if you're so inclined, you may Order a Signed Limited Edition hardcover or paperback.
Edward Lorn
Mar 16, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
THIS IS NOT A REVIEW. IT IS AN ADVERTISEMENT.

As of today, this book exists on Amazon. If you enjoyed our previous effort, Bad Apples, you might wanna give this one a go as well.

For those of you that follow Gregor, Evans, Jason, Adam, and myself, I apologize in advance for filling your feeds with this book. This will be my only post on the subject, but there are five of us, and each one will want to do their own promotion. Not to mention friends, fans, and followers reading and reviewing and pos
Andi Rawson
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love is from the same awesome guys who brought us Bad Apples: Five Slices of Halloween Horror; an awesome anthology if you haven't already read it.

Eleanor, by Jason Parent: When a disfigured baby is dropped at his door, Father Stuart McKenzie doesn't know what to do other than take it in. Figuring it is a sign from God, he raises Eleanor as his daughter but unbeknownst to the rest of his congregation for the fear of the repercussions that would c
Steve
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another excellent anthology from Evans Light, Edward Lorn, Adam Light, Jason Parent, and Gregor Xane. In this volume, they each provide their own take on twisted love (and it should be noted that it really is TWISTED!).

If you liked their previous anthology, Bad Apples, this one is even better. Looking forward to what they come up with next!
Bill
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what it is about these guys, but they gel very well together. After reading Bad Apples last year, I was super excited to hear about this one from Light, Parent, Light, Lorn and Xane. People in the know, just call them LPLLX...Ok fine, nobody calls them that.

The title says Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love and man they were not kidding. Each one of these short stories are very well written and each had its own distinct voice. Bring on more from these guys - maybe a Christmas terror an
Bark
Feb 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
Released March 16, 2015! (That's today!)

Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love is now available in paperback and eBook.

For release week only, the Kindle edition is available at 40% off the digital list price as a thank you to the readers who've been anticipating this the most.

Thanks for the heads up Gregor!

I cannot wait to give it a read!
Evans Light
Feb 14, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
THIS IS NOT A REVIEW. THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT.

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO PURCHASE FROM AMAZON.
Kaisersoze
Following hot on the heels of last year's Bad Apples: Five Slices of Halloween Horror, Parent, Lorn, Xane and the Brothers Light have again come together with five short stories this time thematically linked by the idea of love. All bring something compelling to the table, and each is unique insofar as offering at least one thing you'd be hard pressed to find elsewhere. Better still, all are exceptionally well-written and the pages genuinely fly by. I could scarcely believe how quickly I devoure ...more
Scot
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A very solid 4 stars

Dead Roses is a great anthology collecting short stories from five great authors. Each story is about twisted love and each story is a bizarre love story, some of which are a bit taboo. These authors have once again combined their "powers" to create a very memorable book. Although each story is really good and allows the reader a glimpse into an odd relationship, the standout story in the his collection for me was the story by Evans Light. That story is very easily going to b
Peter
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was first introduce to these author's in their ground breaking anthology Bad Apples: Five Slices of Halloween Horror. They are back again with Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales Of Twisted Love. Each story is well written and has a unique style of it's own. These five tales from the dark side definitely proves that love hurts. Dead Roses is a one of a kind horror anthology that is a must read. I would highly recommend this book!
Well Read Beard
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
Unfiltered Extreme Visceral Love. All the pain and desire wrapped in a 5 story collection.

This is a another engaging collection from Corpus press. Five different authors take on the loose theme of love. Different voices and different styles combine to create a circus of a reading experience. We dig deep into all the feelings: new love, old love, holding on, letting go, vengeance and regret.

Eleanor - Jason Parent - A platonic love turns improper. Vicious, jaw-drop ending.

Love Lies In Eyes - Evans
Thomas Strömquist
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A mixed experience for me, I think I may be in a horror short story slump. The first story, Eleanor , was all right, but with a quite expected and not very effective ‘chilling’ ending. Love Lies In Eyes I enjoyed quite a lot, that held a good piece of claustrophobic stalker horror. Panacea was back to same old, same old again with no explanations, no logic and nothing new. Cinder Block is a good, melancholy, Bay’s End story that I really liked as much as the first time I read it (available in ...more
Nev Murray
This copy of Dead Roses was sent to Confessions of a Reviewer as part of a special article on the site for the books launch and in return for an honest review. This is that review.

I have been looking forward to this one for a long long time after hearing such good stories about this group’s previous collaboration, Bad Apples: 5 Slices of Halloween Horror. I have read all but one of these authors previously and already know they can produce some very powerful short stories.

ELEANOR BY JASON PARENT
Josh
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bad Apples, the first anthology by these five indie horror heavyweights, was an auspicious one with strong potential to become a Halloween classic, and one of my favorite reads of 2014. Dead Roses has a looser theme, dealing as it does with “twisted love” in various forms and degrees, but rest assured it's just as strong as its predecessor. Each story is unique, yet fits alongside the others perfectly well (except for the last, but it sure as hell fits the theme.)

Jason Parent gets the ball rolli
Amber G
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this through a Goodread First Reads contest and thought I would review it. I loved the first three stories, but could have done without the last two. Very...weird. The stories are scary, funny, descriptive, imaginative, creative, and at times, kind of relatable. There were also some parts that i found a little too messed up (disturbing) for my taste. It did have me on the edge of my seat the entire time though, couldn't put it down =] I give it 4 stars because it was a great book, but the ...more
Rodney
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. These authors are great together. I don't think the stories could have complimented each other any better. I should have read this sooner and will say that Bad Apples, their other anthology, has certainly moved up in my seemingly infinite TBR pile. My favorites here were Love Lies in the Eyes by Evans Light, Panacea by Adam Light, and Loving the Goat by Gregor Xane. I hope this bunch continues to do what they have done here, as I really enjoyed this.
Keith A
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice collection of horror love stories. My favorite was "Loving the Goat". A true heart felt love story that brought tears to my eyes. Reminds me of the line, "two way petting zoo" from the Office. I mean everyone loves their pets, right?
Pam Mooney
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great stories that go well together yet the voices are original. I love the dark twist in each tale. Very compelling - each author makes you want to read the next. New to these authors but will be looking for and watching their work from now on. A good read!
David
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Roses was another fine horror anthology. A brief commentary on each:

Eleanor by Jason Parent - This one made me sad more than anything. Very well done and empathetic characters.

Love Lies in Eyes by Evans Light - My favorite of the collection. This could easily be the basis for a movie or at least a horror TV short if we only had some vehicles for that still.

Panacea by Adam Light - This one caught me by surprise. A sad story which really took I turn I didn't see. Very freaky but enjoyable!

Cin
Soraya Bowie
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are five stories in this collection and I enjoyed the first four, however I did find number five to be a bit too much. It was a story that involved beastially, so if you are not comfortable reading about that then avoid the last story.

That aside I really enjoyed this collection, it really is twisted to say the least. My favorite story is definitely the second one. If you loved messed up love stories with lots of horror then this is the book for you.
John Gibbons
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Well these guys would sure fuck up any Valentines Day, and it's much needed. Love is a messy thing. A dark thing. Unfortunately, most of the notions we have about love come from really crappy movies. You know the kind. Guy or gal falls in love at first sight with someone and they live happily ever after, blah blah blah. If you know that that relationship is bullshit than this is the book for you. In this collection you'll find stories of obsession, possession and goat love. All of the stories we ...more
Joel Kleehammer
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
After reading Bad Apples: Five Slices of Halloween Horror, I knew I had to read this book. Evans Light, Adam Light, Gregor Xane, Jason Parent, and Edward Lorn returned for another trip down creepy lane. Just like Bad Apples, I got this book because Gregor Xane is in it. Having Adam and Evans Light in it just makes it that much better. I enjoyed every page of every story in this book.

ELEANOR, by Jason Parent: Sick and twisted, and not completely unlike the story of "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles,
Lee  drunkonbookz
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I am a huge fan of the Bad Apples books so I was so excited to read this and get some more short stories from a bunch of extremely talented writers.

Evens Light and Adam Light wrote entertaining, slightly chilling, and beyond creepy romantic tales that I really enjoyed reading. I'm yet to find something either of them have written that I haven't liked.

Awesome Awesome Awesome story from Edward Lorn, I know how much he dislikes romance so the twist he puts on his tale is great I think this story i
Tamara
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These five guys ...

... Rock together! Another perverted antho from some sick authors that put together deviant tales. Sound up your alley? Mine too. Of course, I always have a fave story or two in any collection. Pick up a copy and decide which of these love stories turns you on the most.
J. Peter W.
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great collection of five stories that are dark and weird and delightful. The two that really stood out to me were 'Eleanor' and 'Loving the Goat'. Gregor Xane continues to impress me.
C
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty great short stories, I think the one by Adam Light was set in Jacksonville Florida, I recognized the landmarks, Orange Park and Blanding.

great job guys

Cherie
Jen Light
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've only read one of the stories from this book so far, Panacea By Adam Light. I have to say that I really enjoyed the story. I've been wanting to read the story since it came out but the author just happens to be my husband...and let's just say that I have to sleep next to him and I do not always want to know what is going on in that head of his...so I'm slowy getting the courage up to read his stories :) I'm easily creeped out but I'm coming around..lol. My only complaint is that you wrote ab ...more
Houstonc
Jul 09, 2019
Stephanie LGW
Dec 14, 2016
Evans Light is a writer of horror and suspense, and is the author of Screamscapes: Tales of Terror , Arboreatum , Don’t Need No Water and more. He is editor of the anthology Doorbells at Dusk and the In Darkness, Delight series. He is co-creator of the Bad Apples Halloween anthology series and Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love .
description