Start by marking “Back East (Heart's Compass)” as Want to Read:
Back East (Heart's Compass)

Back East

(Heart's Compass)

Where do you want to be when the world ends?

An apocalyptic M/M Romance. Electricity is gone. Society is on its knees. The heart’s compass becomes the light in the darkness.

Eli, an intern for Channel Seven News, finds himself on a bus full of hockey players from the New York City Gay Hockey Association. His boss thought it was a good joke to play on the new kid, but Eli ha
Published March 17th 2015 by Tracing The Stars

To ask other readers questions about Back East, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back East

Sheri
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
So far we’ve been Northbound and Deep South in Texas, this time we are heading back East, New York to be exact. We are…BOOM!! *gasp* So, so sorry. Did that scare you? *wide eyed nod*
Me too. This one is scary, sad and a bit angsty. I wasn’t expecting that.

Eli is a journalist doing a story on New York’s Gay Hockey Association. He has joined the team and they are packed into a Greyhound heading to a tournament when their world stops. However, it’s not during a video game or a horse taming session
Meep
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: promo-deals
This is a very light read considering the post apocalypse setting. Bad stuff is glossed over and everyone is lovely and supportive and kind. No-one panics or acts distastefully. It was a pleasant distraction but had little impact; the emotional aspect never hit me because there was never a sense of risk, losses were faceless, there was no concern over survival. All very civilized.

Liked the quote:
When it hurts too deeply to cry, the best thing you can do is hold on to one another and share a laug
M'rella
There should be a "wow" rating. I did not expect this mind blowing story out of a few pages. A very good read. Adding to favorites.
Chappy
In this installment of Heart's Compass, we start off on a bus with a bunch of gay hockey players. Eli, the intern reporter, is travelling with them to their next game. When the power goes out, chaos ensues on the highway.

Eli and David make it out alive and the chemistry between them goes nuclear.

Great story ;D
Furio
Post apocalyptic tales are never a jolly good read for me as the implications of a sudden indent in civilisation's course are all too clear to be looked at with rose-tinted glasses.
The author of this M/M short story skips over the worst traits of humankind which are bound to surface in situations like that and concentrates instead on the feelings of her characters, adding a nice dollup of humour and not a little amount of hope.
The first half of her story is good, the second pays the price of emo
V
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compare to the other stories from this wonderful series, this has a very sad plot, the story begins with a terrible tragedy.
Even though so many people suffers, the Author does such an amazing job, that we still get to see some loving tender moments.
I would have loved if the story was longer and had the chance to found out more about the other players, they were all very charming and it would have been great to see how the other couples were dealing in the middle of the apocalypse. Never mind,
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.9 Stars

Okay, this was a whole lot better than I thought it would be. I think I picked it up because it was free...and damnit, the promo worked because now I want to see how the rest of these stories turn out.

I didn't read the summary (like some sort of dolt, IDEK)...so, I'm not sure it was meant to be read first. But, this book does a great job as a standalone to tell the reader what happened. It's kinda like the beginning of Revolution where something* knocks out everything electric-powered,
Aya
A post-apocalyptic setting that is more hopeful than not despite the tragedy that occurred. There were tears & laughs in equal measures. For a short it sure packs a punch.
Shannon
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Humor, poignancy, and love at the end of civilization

Tale about a reporter on assignment on the bus of a gay hockey team when a solar flare knocks out all digital devices and pandemonium follows. Paints a funny but realistic picture of strangers banding together to face harsh realities while love blooms. Sweet, well-written and touching.
Walford
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this morsel. Not a lot there but well done and pleasing. Kilgore does a pretty good job of balancing the End of the World with Happy Ever After. Might check out the others in this set.
Tailtiu
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Also part of the Heart's Compass Anthology.
Karen
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lene
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Short angsty apocalyptic MM romance.
Dan
Dec 06, 2016
Andrew Kelley
Aug 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
C.E. Kilgore (1981 - ) is an author without genre, who likes to dabble in several genres from romance to science fiction. She also enjoys pushing the boundaries of those genres, trying new things, venturing outside formulas and turning tropes on their heads. Admittedly a control freak, she is currently a self-published author under the name Tracing The Stars, and hasn't quite found the publisher w ...more

Heart's Compass (5 books)
  • True North (Heart's Compass)
  • Down South (Heart's Compass)
  • Out West (Heart's Compass)
  • Heart's Compass