Start by marking “Gold Warriors: America's Secret Recovery of Yamashita's Gold” as Want to Read:
Gold Warriors: America's Secret Recovery of Yamashita's Gold

Gold Warriors: America's Secret Recovery of Yamashita's Gold

In 1945, US intelligence officers in Manila discovered that the Japanese had hidden large quantities of gold bullion and other looted treasure in the Philippines. President Truman decided to recover the gold but to keep its riches secret. These, combined with Japanese treasure recovered during the US occupation, and with recovered Nazi loot, would create a worldwide Americ ...more
Published January 17th 2006 by Verso (first published September 16th 2003)

Terry
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
I became interested in the topic of Philippine treasure hunting after reading Cryptonomicon. This book, Gold Warriors, is an exhaustively researched account of how Japan sequestered gold and treasure during the first half of the 20th century on behalf of the unbelievably greedy and bloodthirsty Japanese emperor Hirohito and his band of generals and crime bosses. This acquisition continued as Japan conquered their region in WWII but then they began hiding it in Philippine tunnels and sea wrecks a ...more
Nowick
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
History in a nutshell:
1. Ancient miners dig, smelt gold to bullion, buddhas.
2. Life goes on… rich get greedier.
3. Japanese invade to steal, then rebury gold and gems in hills.
Of course, that's only the beginning of the story... a masterpiece of investigative journalism, writing history where there was none, or a mere pastiche of fake news.
Chuckdee
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
It’s a conspiracy!

I suppose there’s some truth to the story. But...the story and suggestions of conspiracy at every turn are very tiring...also, citing Oliver Stone as a pseudo credible source...I expected more- honestly the sources were vague and “National Enquirer-esque “ all in all, an interesting theory, but to be taken with a grain of salt.
Craig Earnshaw
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
We all know about the Nuremberg trials. The Japanese were many times worse in their treatment of their enemies and yet, no Kyoto trials. Why? This book will astound and anger you.
Tim
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just started this book. I found out about it from a podcast I listen to called "Black Op Radio." The host, Len Osanic, interviewed Sterling Seagraves (the author) and I found it to be a very fascinating story. I had to buy the book. I do think it will be interesting. I have so far just read the intro, which just rehashes most of what I heard in the interview. Why this author was interviewed on this show is because of a connection with one of the main characters in his story with the assassinatio ...more
Michael Connolly
Fascinating tale of Japanese war crimes. According to the Seagraves, the Japanese looted a great deal of gold from Asia, then buried it in the Philippines, where Ferdinand Marcos later used it to make himself rich and powerful. The United States also persuaded the Japanese to give us much of the gold that they stole, and we then used it to finance our Cold War operations. In return, we agreed not to prosecute the majority of Japanese war crimes. It is difficult to know how much of the Seagrave's ...more
Mercurybard
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The implications of the information revealed in this book are *terrifying*, especially in light of the recent banking crisis.

The opening makes this seem like a conspiracy theory, but the last fifth of the book is anotations and citations and the authors offer to ship you a CD of scanned primary documents and interviews for free if you want to investigate more.

The premise--that during World War II, the Japanese looted trillions of dollars in gold, gems, and other precious artifacts from Korea, Ch
hoffnarr
Dec 13, 2008 rated it liked it
While full of references and footnotes and the authors have clearly done a great deal of research the style of the book weaves an elaborate web of conspiracy that makes me very reluctant to buy the whole story.

The book depends on the kinds of guilt-by-association and pointing out of coincidences that should always only point a historian to issues that need to be confirmed with further research, rather than form the key hinges in a complex accusation. If you are interested in Japanese and East A
Stephanie
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
My carpool partner told me about hearing this tale on NPR and it was fascinating, so I tracked down the book. What a scary story, about the huge treasure fund that has been used for decades to fund covert operations worldwide since the end of WW2.

Sadly, NOTHING surprises me anymore, and I do tend to be seduced by what some call "conspiracy theories" -- but just because they are thusly labeled does not mean they are untrue.

And again I would not put anything past our very own axis of evil, AKA Bu
Ddraig
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
this is one of the most mind-boggling books I've ever read. The authors claim to be able to document everything in the book (but want $45 for 3 CDs worth of evidence, boo), and in the book describe how Japan essentially looted trillions (yes trillions)(*) of dollars in gold and gems from all of occupied asia, and then stashed it in Japan to begin with, and later in Indonesia and the Phillipines as the war started to not quite go according to plan.

If this is true, it's really astounding. Worth a
Manheim Wagner
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An indispensable book, "Gold Warriors" lays out a very sound argument on how the world of black finance works and in turn provides strong evidence of how this black finance was acquired. The Seagraves have done a marvelous job weaving the story together, which involves the insane greed of the Japanese Imperial Family,the Yakuza, the Marcos Family, the Vatican, the American banking elite and both the O.S.S. and C.I.A. Simply put, this book along with Paul Manning's "Martin Bormann, Nazi in Exile" ...more
Liz Waters
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Like all conspiracy books, this one must be taken with a grain of salt.
Catherine Gentry
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
An eye opening about the literal profits of war.
Fernando Casado
Japan just wanted to steal the gold in WWII.

An excellent historical account of war time gold plundering for proposed of enriching the imperial family of Japan. Good story.
Matt Hornby
heavy - eye opener for sure
Rhonda Browning White
Interesting stuff! What a corrupt world in which we live. Quite the history lesson in these pages.
Quang Nguyen
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
The scariest thing about this book is that it exposes dirty secrets of WWII Japanese gold looting with an incredible amount of backup materials and intelligent deduction.
Arnold Otom
Feb 11, 2018
Ina Cawl
Nov 29, 2015
Jerry
Feb 09, 2015
Mrs D. Marston
rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2015
Underground Knowl...: The Roxas Buddhas 8 172 Nov 23, 2017 08:00AM
Well-documented history. 1 6 Jan 22, 2010 10:49AM

• Where Did the Towers Go?: Evidence of Directed Free-Energy Technology on 9/11
  • Midnight Dreary: The Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Secret Team: The CIA & its Allies in Control of the United States & the World
  • Hitler's Jewish Soldiers: The Untold Story of Nazi Racial Laws and Men of Jewish Descent in the German Military
  • Education of the Senses: The Bourgeois Experience: Victoria to Freud
  • Who Really Killed Kennedy?: The Ultimate Guide to the Assassination Theories--50 Years Later
  • The Myth of the Great War: A New Military History of World War I
  • The Bad War: The Truth NEVER Taught About World War II
  • World War II: The Rest Of The Story And How It Affects You Today, 1930 To September 11, 2001
  • Vaccine A: The Covert Government Experiment That's Killing Our Soldiers--and Why GI's Are Only the First Victims
  • The Hut Six Story: Breaking the Enigma Codes
  • Gilded: How Newport Became America's Richest Resort
  • Lady on the Hill: How Biltmore Estate Became an American Icon
  • Dissolving Illusions
  • The Big Bamboozle: 9/11 and the War on Terror
  • Hitler's Holy Relics: : A True Story of Nazi Plunder and the Race to Recover the Crown Jewels of the Holy Roman Empire
  • Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil
  • The Long Week-End: A Social History of Great Britain, 1918-39