Start by marking “The Night Falling” as Want to Read:
The Night Falling

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Night Falling

The international bestselling author of THE LEGACY returns with a searing new novel of secrets and feuds, set in 1920s Italy.
Puglia, Italy, 1921.

Leandro returns home now a rich man with a glamorous American wife, determined to make his mark. But how did he get so wealthy - and what haunts his outwardly exuberant wife?

Boyd, quiet English architect, is hired to build Leandro
Published March 26th 2015 by The Orion Publishing Group (first published November 20th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Falling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Falling

Kamilla
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book bored me to death. It was an excruciatingly slow read, with unlikeable characters and very slow developments. As much as Puglia's weatherbeaten landscape was brutal, so were the times, the lives of people living there. Even though I didn't know much about what happened in this area of the world during these times, because of the dry writing style I couldn't even develop a slight interest. I did struggle through it, more out of obligation than anything, as I did like previous books by K ...more
Gail
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love Katherine Webb books and eagerly awaited this. I found this an extremely laborious book and was loathe to pick it up at times. The only reason I continued was that I thought it would improve; sadly I was wrong.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I limped to the finishing line and turned the final page. Yes it's beautifully and descriptively written, as always, but I just felt that nothing really happened and that it didn't really get off the starting blocks for me.

It's told from the persp
A Reader's Heaven

Puglia, 1921. Leandro Cardetta, born into poverty, emigrated to America to make his fortune and has returned home to southern Italy a rich man, accompanied by his glamorous wife, Marcie, an ex-showgirl fighting middle age. Now Leandro has money enough to hire renowned English architect, Boyd Kinsgley, to renovate a crumbling palazzo into an Art Deco statement of wealth, and host Boyd's teenage son and his diff
Tripfiction
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Novel set in Puglia, Italy (a relatively recent troubled past )

Leandro Cardetta, born into abject poverty in Puglia, has made a fortune in America and subsequently returned to his childhood home with a glamorous and rather spoilt wife, Marcie. There he sets about restoring a crumbling palazzo helped by well-known English architect, Boyd Kingsley, who brings with him his teenage son Pip and his second wife, the rather shy and retiring Clare.

Outside the comfort and comparative luxury of the palazz
Brina
Oct 31, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe zuvor noch nie ein Buch von Katherine Webb gelesen und war dementsprechend neugierig, ob mich die hochgelobte Autorin mit ihrem neuesten Werk “Italienische Nächte” aus dem Diana Verlag begeistern kann. Leider sollte es jedoch einfach nicht sein, denn ich habe mich immer wieder dabei erwischt, wie ich mal hier und mal da ein paar Seiten vorgeblättert habe und mit der Geschichte einfach nicht auf einen Nenner kam und mich mit den Figuren nicht anfreunden konnte.

Dabei muss gesagt werden, d
Steffi
Puh, stellenweise war es wirklich eine Herausforderung dieses Buch weiterzulesen und zu beenden.
Die Geschichte an sich ist eigentlich auch interessant, aber ich fand es einfach zu langatmig und emotionslos erzählt.
Erst gegen Ende kam es etwa Tempo in die Handlung, einiges konnte mich noch überraschen, während ich andere Enthüllungen schon lange geahnt hatte. Insgesamt war alles aber zu erzwungen und einfach nur traurig und trostlos.

Dies war mein erstes Buch der Autorin, obwohl ich bereits einige
beloved books by Tine
Es hatte auf mich keine fesselnde Wirkung. Ich hatte nicht wirklich das Verlangen zu erfahren, wie es weiter geht.
Emma Crowley
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Night Falling is the fifth novel from Katherine Webb and once again she has delivered another stunning, spell bounding, absorbing novel that had me lost in the lives of Ettore and Clare from the very first page. I love how each of Katherine’s novels are all so different from each other and with this new release she takes us back in time to 1921 to Gioia del Colle in Southern Italy. Right from the opening line we feel the sense of unease, tension and suspicion that permeates this novel. The a ...more
Sophie
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Posted originally http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2014...

The Night Falling is a little different to the kind of books I normally read but I had no reservations – I’d heard wonderful things about Katherine Webb’s writing and I couldn’t wait to start reading it for myself. This book was truly incredible. In what should have taken me probably a good few chapters to get to grips with, considering I’ve not really read much about poverty or war before, Katherine Webb had me entranced within the firs
Jessica
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Spännande historia om en grupp människor i skuggan av den framväxande fascismen i södra Italien. Väldigt dramatisk och spännande upplösning.
Andrew
I will write this review as I am reading this book, rather than write a summary at the end. My thanks to Goodreads giveaways for my copy.

The book opens with a series of chapters written from the perspective of Clare and Ettore who clearly are two of the central characters in this novel which is set mainly in the South East corner of rural Italy in 1921. The opening descriptive scenes provide an insight into the lives of people from different social backgrounds in this poverty stricken part of It
Emily
Nov 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, this book very nearly made the couldn't make myself finish it category. The odd choice to use present tense in a historical novel, first of all, was very strange, and there was something lacking in the way the story began. Perhaps it was urgency, perhaps magic. I came to this book expecting to be swept in straight away, and instead, I found myself pushing through the first eighty pages and fighting the urge to put the book down. Yet I persevered, and I was rewarded by this skilled ...more
Sharon V
I was a little disappointed with this Katherine Webb book. Having really enjoyed her previous books this really wasn't up to the same standard. Beautifully written, great start and gripping finish but honestly the middle is just slow and quite boring.
Vanessa Pätzold
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wieder einmal eine wunderschöne Geschichte von Katherine Webb - ich liebe ihre Bücher und habe so auch dieses hier verschlungen, und geweint.
Suze Lavender
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's 1921, a few years after the Great War. Clare Kingsley isn't happy when she and Pip have to join her husband, Boyd, in Italy. Clare is Boyd's second wife and Pip isn't officially her son, but their bond is very strong. Boyd is an architect and he is in Gioia in Puglia to design a building for Leandro Cardetta. Leandro is a rich and dangerous businessman who has made his fortune in America. Together with his wife Marcie he's returned to his homeland.

Even though Leandro's home is luxurious Cla
Hazel
Jan 03, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads

The Night Falling by Katherine Webb is a historical novel with a romantic theme. The story is told from the perspective of two people: Clare, a middle class wife from England, and Ettore, a poor Italian "peasant". Set in Puglia in the summer of 1921, the two characters meet when Clare and her step-son, Pip, are forced to accompany Boyd to Italy where he is going to be working for Leandro, Ettore's uncle.

Clare and Ettore's relationship b
Helen
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tale based on alternating chapters between the two lead characters – Clare and Ettore – and is set mainly in the South East corner of rural Italy in 1921. There is such an array of strong characters in this tale that you will be pleasantly surprised. They will do, and have to do, so much just to survive, with each individual convinced that their path is the right one.

“This is not Britain, Mrs Kingsley; this is not even Italy. This is Puglia”.

Three and a half stars from me. Full review
Cynthia
Set in Italy in the 1920s, this story gives insight into the lives of peasants and the farm owners and overseers. It is a hard struggle and often brutal.
Leandro was once a peasant, but now he is rich from earnings in America and returns to his homeland. I was never sure what his motives were, Leandro's full story is only revealed at the end of the story.
Into this mix comes an architect and his family with their own secrets.
I enjoyed the story and the ending was quite unexpected, and did fit in
Helen Carolan
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful read. much darker than her previous novels, this book explores what happens to two people when their marriage is based on lies and secrets. summer 1921, clare travels to Italy to spend the summer with her husband Boyd. over the course of a hot and violent summer their marriage comes apart as they learn some shocking truths about each other. my favourite book by this author so far.
Okidoki
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-köp
Personporträtten är inte psykologiskt trovärdiga. Jag får ingen känsla för miljön. Berättelsen blir alltmer utdragen och tråkig. Det hela mynnar ut i ett löjeväckande melodrama. Skönt att det är över.
Villivonkansbooks
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clara Kingsley reser mot sin vilja genom södra Italiens brända landskap. Här ska hon tillbringa sommaren med sin make Boyd, som arbetar för den nyrike markägaren Leandro Cardetta. I lilla staden Gioia del Colle är det laddad stämning, stadens fattiga arbetare söker desperat efter arbete och mat. En av dem är Ettore. När Claras och Ettores vägar korsas försvinner hennes hemlängtan direkt.
Det är en fin roman som Katherine skrivit. Jag förstår varför den är nominerad till Årets Bok. Hon skriver på
Oda
Sep 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It may be a good thing for an author to be able to write varied stories, but I'm wondering if Katherine Webb may have multiple personalities. This sucked. The last book I read by her swept the ground away from under my feet, this made me angry for the time wasted. Most of the book is just waiting and waiting and waiting, the reader and characters both doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING while just waiting for some forewarned but vague catastrophe. And when it finally arrives after all that waiting, it does ...more
Christine Ottaway
I only made it to the end of this book by skipping large chunks of it.

Set in Puglia in southern Italy in 1921 it is a tale soaked in the poverty, inequality and brutality of those times and it did not make a good read for me. I found it all very depressing.

The sad thing is that Katharine Webb is a good author, she writes well, her characters are authentic, the sense of place brilliant but what a shame to use this subject matter for a novel.

If you like raw, gritty novels - you'll love this but n
Beáta
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liked
Elég nyomasztó könyv, de nem bántam meg, hogy elolvastam. Kicsit nehezen indult, már majdnem feladtam.
Az első világháború után játszódik Dél-Olaszországban. Megismerhetjük az akkori nehézségeket és életkörülményeket. Egy angol család egy olasz földbirtokos és amerikai felesége vendégszeretetét élvezi Olaszország ezen részén, ahol nagy a nyomor és az éhínség.
Ruby Syed
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Disappointed with this novel by Katherine Webb. It was more like a romantic novel and lacked the thrill, suspense, intrigue that are in her latest books. Too predictable and too much thought spent on little details. If you're a Katherine Webb fan and have enjoyed her work so far, I'd give this one a miss as it doesn't add any breadth or excitement.
Judy
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this book - too gruesome, slow-moving, boring descriptive passages... just not my "cup of tea".
Dorota
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely the worst book by this author. I struggled through the most of it and gave up after they all started killing each other.
Annika Kulp
Våldsam och hemsk berättelse. Ingen av huvudpersonerna är egentligen sympatisk. Ändå en gripande och läsvärd bok.
Littlebookworm
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in 1921, Clare Kingsley arrives in Puglia with her fifteen year old stepson Pip to join her husband Boyd, an architect who has been commissioned by wealthy landowner Leandro Cardetta, and who for some reason seems beholden to him. Leandro made his fortune in New York, and now married to ex-showgirl Marcie, has returned to his roots. However, tensions are rife in Puglia; the age old conflict between landowners and peasants close to crisis point. For Leandro's nephew Ettore Tarano, it is a dai ...more
  • Debutantes in Love (Debutantes, #2)
  • The Sacred River
  • Emeralds & Ashes (At Somerton, #3)
  • A Gathering Storm
  • Gorsky
  • Perception
  • The Memory of Lost Senses
  • West End Girls: The Real Lives, Loves and Friendships of 1940s Soho and its Working Girls
  • Wives V. Girlfriends
  • An Italian Summer
  • The Leopard Unleashed (Ravenstow Trilogy #3)
  • Die fremde Königin (Otto der Große, #2)
  • Das Licht der Welt
  • Magda und Ben (Das verbotene Eden, #3)
  • Klokkemakeren
  • Relics (Brother Petroc, #1)
  • Il signore delle anime
  • La monaca
I was born in Kent in 1977 and grew up in rural Hampshire before reading History at Durham University. History remains a passion, and I write character-led mystery dramas, often with historical settings. I love to explore the way past events can reverberate in the present, and I'm fascinated by the vast grey areas in human morality and behaviour.

My debut novel 'The Legacy' was voted viewers' choic