Start by marking “Love and First Sight” as Want to Read:
Love and First Sight

Love and First Sight

Love is more than meets the eye.

On his first day at a new school, blind sixteen-year-old Will Porter accidentally groped a girl on the stairs, sat on another student in the cafeteria, and somehow drove a classmate to tears. High school can only go up from here, right?

As Will starts to find his footing, he develops a crush on a sweet but shy girl named Cecily. And despite h
Published January 3rd 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Love and First Sight, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Maggie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,085 books — 8,416 voters
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny HanThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky AlbertalliBy Your Side by Kasie WestOne of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
2017 YA contemporary
205 books — 587 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’ll have to admit that I did not think I would end up enjoying LOVE AND FIRST SIGHT so much.

It’s not like it’s ‘‘mind-blowingly’’ written and I’m normally a little wary of books written by YouTube sensations, however famous the latter are.

But it was evident to me that Josh Sundquist wrote this book with much care, did a tremendous amount of research on visual impairment and carefully outlined the story.

You know how sometimes you read a book and you have trouble figuring out what is happening –
*TANYA*
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars. I rounded up. I really wanted to LOVE this book BUT, something and I can’t quite put my finger on it didn’t do it for me. Perhaps the writing?? It felt choppy, I want to go into detail but I’m afraid I’d give something away. It had tremendous potential, great story, though.
Stacee
I had enjoyed the other book I read from Josh and I liked the premise, so I was interested right from the start.

I liked Will and his group of friends. They were like a band of misfits and the loyalty between them was perfect. Will's mom was a bit annoying, but it makes sense. And even Will mentions that she's a helicopter mom.

What I enjoyed the most was being in Will's head and learning about things as he did. Especially after the surgery. The science-y parts weren't too science-y and it defin
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Possibly 3.5? This was pretty cute and overall I really enjoyed it, but I'm looking at the review notes I took and they all seem to be negative (re: ableism). Probably going to film a video review tonight to make some sense of my thoughts. Link to come!
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I enjoyed reading this book. I was pulled into the story right away by the wonderful characters, an interesting premise, and just the right amount of humor. This was a super quick read for me largely because I had a hard time putting the book down. The descriptions were vivid and I couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to be in Will's position. I am very glad that I decided to pick up this book.

Will is starting a new school. He prev
Teresa Faliq ☼
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
(I need to get better at writing reveiws in a timely fashion lmao)

I was at the library, just browsing around, and I honestly had no idea which books to get.. so I decided to pick up this one. I wasn’t disappointed.. this book was really cute and light and just overall pretty fun to read. (:

During this book, we follow Will who is going to public school for the first time. He has been blind all of his life, and has never gone to a public school before. His first day goes pretty well, he meets a
Carrie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Will Porter was born blind and at an early age his parents decided his best chance would be to attend a school for the blind to learn how to cope with is ability. Now at sixteen though Will wants nothing more than to fit in with normal kids his age and attend a regular school. His first day at his new school though has him accidentally groping a fellow student and making another cry.

Will does start to slowly fit into his new surroundings though making a new group of friends. As he finds his foo
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
“Oh, my God, I am SO sorry, I tooootally didn’t see you there,” says a female voice.

“No problem,” I tell her. “I didn’t see you, either.”

This was an adorable little book that gave me all kinds of happy feelings. The plot intrigued me, so I preordered it back in December without much research. I was expecting pretty much what I got; an adorable story about a blind guy who gets the amazing opportunity to see after being born blind.

This is one of those finish-the-whole-thing-in-an-afternoon bing
Jeff
Feb 27, 2018 added it
Dnf

This story seemed like a very fun, light romantic book yet it was the complete opposite. The author made everything seem very serious, and I know, with a MC who’s blind and wants to regain their sight, of course it’s not gonna be a happy-go-lucky book.
But every time I read some of this book, there’s this depressed mood about it.
Result: I also feel the sadness.
Result after result: is this worth it or not?

IDK. just...how the hell did this supposedly fluffy book turn out to be like this?
Ari Reavis
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
*ARC received from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review*

I liked a lot but had some things I just couldn't wrap my head around. 'Seeing' things through Will's eyes was interesting. How he noticed things most people paid no attention to. I liked his little group of friends. The contrasts in adults were good. While the vice principal basically relied on stereotypes to figure out how to interact with Will, his journalism teacher expected Will to be on the same level on everyone else and didn'
Catherine ♡
I really loved the synopsis. I thought the premise was so original, so different - this would definitely be a good book.

I started out loving it as well, not to mention Will's incredible sass.

But there are several problems I had with the book still. Firstly, the side characters felt underdeveloped. Even Cecily - I wanted to know more about her life, her background. And the other characters felt like they were simply there for comic relief.

I absolutely loved the writing at some parts actually, esp
Gina
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2017-read
Full review can be found here: http://bookishgina.blogspot.com/2017/...

Love and First Sight made me laugh out loud, it made me warm and fuzzy, gave me hope, made me see things in a new way, and also made me a bit teary eyed. Anyone who loves a good YA contemporary should check this book out! Love and First Sight is insightful, funny, heart breaking, and an all around great read.

I loved this book!! It was fun, insightful, beautiful, and eye opening. I loved the characters, the story, the scener
Mehsi
Josh Sundquist has done it again people. He wrote yet another gorgeous book, and this one it is YA fiction. I can't wait to see what more he can write.

Well, I am still not entirely sure if I can write a review, but I will do my best! This book sure was a rollercoaster of awesomeness!
Edit after reviewing: Well apparently I was able to write a review. :P This is one of my longest reviews!

Let me first get two not so good things out of the way. Yes, I just have 2 little things that I didn't particul
Reggie
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
• Disclaimer: I received a free eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. •

I love Josh Sundquist. He is one of my favorite YouTubers and one of the first that helped me discover the platform. I find him to be very smart, kind, funny, articulate & understanding. I've read one of his non-fiction works and found it to be very interesting. He is a great writer, orator and content creator. In fact, this was one of my most anticipated reads of the year.

You've probably guessed by my n
Cyndi
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of those books I wish I had more stars for! Our hero begins the story as a teen who was born blind. It is written in his POV! Awesome, right? The writer removed that sense from the story and must use the other 4 for visualization. He does it perfectly! Then when he goes through the steps to get his eyesight the writing is even more genius! The characters, plot, and locations come together perfectly. This is a YA novel that should be included in school curriculums. It lends itself to discussi ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Will is a blind 16 year old transitioning into a mainstream school after years in a safe blind school. If he's going to make it in a sight centered world then he'll have to learn to maneuver through whatever they throw at him. Cecily is one of a new group of friends Will grows closer and closer to. As soon as he's adjusted to the differences between him and his new friends his parents learn about a rad
Jessica
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I first discovered Josh Sundquist by reading his memoir, and giggling the entire way through it. I'm not generally a non-fiction reader, but I devoured that book. That meant that when I found out that Sundquist had written a YA book, I knew I had to read it. I couldn't wait to see how his wit and honesty translated to a fiction novel.

First off, I have to give credit where credit is due. It's very obvious from the first few pages of this story that Sundquist did a tremendous amount of research on
R.F. Gammon
Jessica
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I was sent this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

When I first heard of Love and First Sight I didn't think that I would end up enjoying it as much as I did. There is no better book to start off 2017 with!

I rated the book 4/5 stars due to the writing style - which was a bit mainstream and lacked a personal touch. But aside from that, you could tell that Josh Sundquist really did his research before taking on the task of writing this book.

From the first chapter yo
Sue Holmes
It's safe to say I did not like this book and that the main character is the worst I have ever read. Narcissistic, arrogant, whiney and overindulged it was impossible to feel any empathy for him.
The writing is clumsy and overexplained.

I listened to the audio version of this book. If I wasn't elbow deep in paint at the time I would have switched it off. I wish I had.
Kelly
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as bad as I'd feared - but not as good as I'd hoped.

(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic ARC for review through Netgalley. This review contains clearly marked spoilers.)

"A door swings open, dinging a bell. I recognize the next sound: the deliberate but controlled steps, treading gently, as if she’s trying not to leave footprints. I’ve never seen a footprint, of course, but my understanding is that the harder you press, the more of an impression you leave behind."

Sixteen-year-old Wi
Mandy
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wowwwwwww that was so much better than I could have ever expected from this little book.

To be honest, when I won this in a contest, I kind of went oops. I didn't know anything about the book other than it had a pretty pretty cover...and that's it. So, when I picked up this book, I didn't have much faith in it, and it ended up being SO GOOD.

I really enjoyed Will's voice. He had a very realistic feel to him, and he just had a great voice. I felt for him, and I got him. I rooted him on, and I want
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)

I thought it was great to see a blong main character represented in YA lit! Getting to know the world through Will's perspective was my favorite part of the story. They way was he thinks about the world is unique and he's constantly learning and growing and that was nice to see. I'm always a fan of friend groups and this story had a fun one. I like that for the most part, everyone was a
Celeste Paed
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just want to start by saying kudos to the author for finding a way to make me see what was happening in a book that's told in first person narration from a blind kid.

I borrowed this book from my roommate who received the book as an ARC at Book Con 2016. She read it and after a conversation about not knowing what to read next, I ended up going with Love and First Sight. It was a very quick read. I would estimate about five hours spent in total. The book was overall enjoyable and I found myself
Bark
May 31, 2018 marked it as own-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Free audio @ Sync today. Go HERE
Madison
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love And First Sight is an interesting book that explores the value of sight over really seeing and follows one young man's journey as he discovers the beauty of friendship, family, acceptance and trust, while somehow helping those around him to discover it also.

Will is blind. So going to his local high school for the first time is a big deal. And the first day really couldn't have gone much worse. But as Will settles into school and begins to make friends he has the chance to partake in a rare
Jenny Jo Weir
Awe! If you are looking for a fun, enjoyable, lighthearted story look no further I tell you. This book is just for you. Cute, adorable and very easy flow.

Josh writes impeccably and I love that his books are always innocent and appropriate for all ages and types of audiences. I always feel comfortable recommending him because he never disappoints. Cute book! I’m very happy I was able to experience this one.
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

Actual Rating: 3.5

Short and Simple Review
I really enjoyed the narration in this book. The MC, Will, has a very instinctive voice that is prone to humor. It worked really well on audio. The premise of this book was also interesting, a blind teenager that might be given an opportunity to see. I thought it discussed interesting ideas, not only things that what a procedure like that would do and how it would actually affect the brain, but I
Michelle
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love and First Sight is a young adult standalone romance by Josh Sundquist. This is the first novel I have read by Mr. Sundquist and I was so delighted by it. I immediately fell in love with the main character Will. I found him to be hilarious, bright and so personable. And his story was fresh, engaging and totally heartfelt. Love and First Sight made me think. What would I do in Will's position? I honestly have no i
Morgan
Jan 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
I listened to this story on Audible. It was a waste of a credit and I have returned it.

I thought about giving this book a two-star rating because I do like Josh Sundquist and think he's a great YouTuber and has always been pretty good at story telling. Unfortunately, I think he should stick to telling true stories instead of writing fiction.

I took issue with a lot of things in this book. One of the biggest issues I have with the book is that Josh literally stole a character from Harry Potter. T

• Baker's Magic
  • Johnny Get Your Gun
  • On Two Feet and Wings
  • Come August, Come Freedom: The Bellows, The Gallows, and The Black General Gabriel
  • My Name's Not Friday
  • Because of the Sun
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • The Great Tennessee Monkey Trial
  • The Accidental Genius of Weasel High
  • Watch You Burn
  • The Great War: Stories Inspired by Items from the First World War
  • 12 Things to Do Before You Crash and Burn
  • The Other F-Word
  • Local Girl Swept Away
  • Garage Band
  • Divine Collision: An African Boy, An American Lawyer, and Their Remarkable Battle for Freedom
  • A Tragic Kind of Wonderful
  • Bang
JOSH SUNDQUIST is a Paralympian, author, motivational speaker, and Halloween enthusiast.
“You know what friendship means? It means sharing the burden. You didn't have to carry it all by yourself.” 6 likes
“Lean on others long enough, and eventually you’ll fall.” 3 likes