Start by marking “The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)

The Thousandth Floor

(The Thousandth Floor #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  25,984 ratings  ·  4,492 reviews
NEW YORK CITY AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE.

A thousand-story tower stretching into the sky. A glittering vision of the future where anything is possible—if you want it enough.

WELCOME TO MANHATTAN, 2118.

A hundred years in the future, New York is a city of innovation and dreams. Everyone there wants something…and everyone has something to lose.

LEDA COLE’s flawless exterior
Published August 30th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Thousandth Floor, please sign up.
Katherine Luca There are five different sex scenes, including a rape, although the book never describes it as rape, just "being tricked." I don't know why Marianne…moreThere are five different sex scenes, including a rape, although the book never describes it as rape, just "being tricked." I don't know why Marianne said there's no profanity, since I was actually shocked that this book got away with the amount of profanity used (three F-bombs, and the d and b-words are thrown around as well) There is a murder, but it's not in much detail. There is domestic abuse between two characters. There is also heavy substance abuse/underage drinking, as Marianne said. (less)
Max It will be released on the 29 August 2017!

·  25,984 ratings  ·  4,492 reviews

Start your review of The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)
Sasha Alsberg
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to mention this: my friend Anna who doesn't read that much (if it's not Harry Potter) read TTF and called me once she finished with a wicked book hangover.
SO PROUD OF HER!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Wow.

The Thousandth Floor is a futuristic Gossip Girl which would be a lot more fun if not for the vague racist stereotypes, really bad homophobia, and gross sexual harassment. At around the halfway I was actually planning to give this a 2.5 star rating and round up, just based off how addictive it was and how much I personally enjoyed it. But I'm really, really angry about that ending, and given that after over six months I despise this book more every time I think about it, I'm not at all
Emily May
Confession time: I'm partial to the occasional trashy, chick-lit novel. You know the ones I mean. Those meaningless dramas where everyone sleeps with everyone and everyone betrays everyone and you are not required to think too hard. So when people were calling this a "futuristic Gossip Girl", that honestly didn't bother me. GG is an old guilty pleasure. Also, Chuck + Blair 4ever.

That's not the problem with The Thousandth Floor. This is the problem:
On the other end of the call was Atlas, her
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
3.5* (maybe even closer to a 4, so I guess 3.75*)
This was a really fun, but also kind of sad, scifi read! I'm not generally a big scifi person (as you may know), but this intrigued me with its concept of a giant building in futuristic New York. At times I found it difficult to keep track of who's who (maybe partially because I went the audio route for this one). But once I got it sorted I became pretty invested in each character and how their plot line went. I felt like no one was left behind
Wendy Darling
THE THOUSANDTH FLOOR is a sleek, smart, guilty pleasure. The opening chapter begins with an unnamed girl falling to her death from a skyscraper in 22nd century New York, and the questions of "who" and "why" are ever-present as this thriller unfolds. The major raised eyebrow comes from the main character's love for her adopted brother, which sits rather uncomfortably for YA and in this context; but despite a few reservations, this story is surprisingly well-written and enjoyable.

Positives:

Emma Giordano
Jul 30, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF at approximately 12%

Mainly because my library loan was up before I could make almost any progress with this book, but I was not enjoying it all that much. So many different perspectives (I don't even think I read from each of them yet), very immature writing, tons of telling and not showing, and I could already tell it fed into quite a few tropes I am not a fan of.

I would love to finish this book in the future because I think MAYBE I could come to love it as a trashy-YA story, but I'm
jessica
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love my YA books like i love drama - wild, reckless, and over-the-top. and the thousandth floor was all of that and more! i couldnt get enough. seriously, this book/series is soooo underrated and its a tragedy.

now, dont get me wrong. this wont win any literary awards or become a classic anytime soon (if at all). the writing is relatively simplistic and the overall tone feels young, but that totally works for this type of story. its serving me drama, dangerous flirtations, over-privileged kids
all he knew was that the girl was the first person to fall from the Tower in its twenty-five years. He didn't know who she was, or how she'd gotten outside.
He didn't know whether she'd fallen, or been pushed, or whether - crushed by the weight of unspoken secrets - she'd decided to jump.

I know the book comparisons get old, but think futuristic Gossip Girl. I was pleased with how excellent the drama was. Definitely one of those guilty pleasure type books. What elevated things for me was the
MischaS_
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I definitely can see the Gossip girl comparison because there was sort of the same vibe. However, I was also getting a bit of Pretty Little Liars vibes as well.

And I was also surprised by the story. I liked that there were several POVs. And I even found some characters to like. Well, except for Leda - hate that one.

I had to take the star away because at first I was really lost with the characters. Who lives on which floor and the relation were lost at me at first.

I will definitely read the
Matthew
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teen Drama fans
4.5 starts rounded up to 5

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I kept seeing it in my feed, but it seemed like the reception has been a bit lukewarm. The concept sounded interesting so I figured I would give it a try.

You might look at this YA teen drama and say to yourself, “Matthew, this doesn’t seem like your type of book!” Well, I do like to dabble in the teen drama a bit – I blame my years of watching Degrassi for keeping a nostalgic corner of my heart for the genre. Also, my wife is
Jessica ❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥
The Thousandth Floor is a YA novel set in the future. All the characters in the book live in a giant tower located in New York city. The amount of wealth and status citizens possess dictates where they live in the tower. The wealthiest families live on the top floors, the poorest on the bottom, and everyone else in between.

Throughout the story, we follow 5 characters, Avery, Eris, Watt, Rylin, and Leda, and get to read from each of their points of view. The book is written in third person.
Trina (Between Chapters)
You might like this if:
-You liked Pretty Little Liars or anything else by Sara Shepard (or Gossip Girl according to every other review, but I never saw or read that one to compare).
-You like stories that hinge on lies, frenemies, and revenge.
-You like books with enough POVs that even when you really hate one character/situation, there are plenty of others to get invested in to balance it out.

You might not like this if:
-You dislike stories about privileged rich kids doing drugs upon drugs out of
Caitlin
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well fuck. When I started this book I wasn’t that into it tbh. I struggled a little bit for about 75ish pages but then I was HOOKED. It reminded me so much of Gossip Girl but a little bit darker and I honestly could not put it down. The chapters fly by so fast since the perspective is always changing. I really enjoyed all the characters but I’d have to say Watt is probably my favourite but I definitely love Rylin and Avery also. I didn’t predict the twist at all. I was pretty set on it being ...more
Anatea Oroz
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for Gossip Girl fans! I loved it. Now I just need the next one!

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest
Cila
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
“Up here on the roof, so close to the stars, she felt young and alive and hateful.”

Hateful is a little harsh but annoying certainly fits the bill; it’s very hard for me to finish a book and not find a single character likable but alas, here we have it. Still, there were a couple of elements that made me like this book, and tons that didn't. If you like gossipy high school-ish petty drama this book might be for you, but I'll leave it up to you dear reader whether or not to embark on a 400+ page
Ishmeen
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually really enjoyed the plot twists and the relationships were well crafted! The story definitely gave off dark gossip girl like vibes and it was absolutely thrilling to read :)

“Was she ready for this – ready to come back here and face everything that had sent her into a tailspin in the first place?”

This was a YA futuristic story, about a group of teenagers living in a thousand-floor tower in New York City.

Avery was a girl who lived at the top of the tower, and had a crush on the one person she couldn’t possibly be with – her adopted brother
Lia
They say that before death, people’s lives flash before their eyes. But as the ground rushed ever faster toward her, the girl could think only of the past few hours, the path she’d taken that ended here. If only she hadn’t talked to him. If only she hadn’t been so foolish. If only she hadn’t gone up there in the first place.

THIS BOOK IS A FREAKING TREAT!

When I first added it to my tbr, months ago, I would have never imagined it to suck me in the way it did. I basically devoured it and with
Renata
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's 7am and I didn't slept at all because I couldn't stop reading. I loved it.
Lia

This book was such a lovely guilty pleasure. Like treating yourself to a lazy reading day even though you have a lot of work to do; you know you shouldn't, but you don't really care, and you enjoy every second of it.
If you've read a couple of reviews on this book already, you've probably already heard what everyone else is saying - that this book is basically a futuristic version of Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars. Which is true, to some extent. I don't normally enjoy reading
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

So it appears that you can disagree with your co-bloggers on books. While Jenna loved The Thousandth Floor, I could not stand it.

It started out promising, with the use of technological advancements leading to life with Manhattan in a thousand floor tower. Those who live at the top, such as Avery and her friends, live a charmed life filled with parties, drugs, gossip and opulence, while those who live towards the bottom live
C.G. Drews
look this is a book I've been meaning to read for three years and it was both terribly trashy and rather compelling. It starts off with a girl falling from the tower but we don't know WHO. and the last scene, with all the narrators coming together in a dramatic angsty finale was quite intriguing. It's basically spoiled rich kids who drink and do drugs and all interchangeably have sex and live in a very very tall tower with literally, no, exits. What could POSSIBLY GO WRONG.

it was definitely
Jill
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tbr-i-own
*3.5

I'm so conflicted about my feelings for this book... it was bad but also good? For many different reasons? And I desperately want the next one? I honestly don't know what I'm feeling right now xD

Super fast review:

The diversity in this book was great though like that part was amazing.

I loved how I got Pretty Little Liars vibes from this especially towards the end... I wasn't expecting that.

The ending was totally unexpected like damn I need the next book RN

The futuristic setting was cool
Sh3lly
This wasn't even on my TBR and was a spontaneous read. My library had it. What a fun surprise. The whole Gossip Girl comparison is so apt. I know this is a book I would have to be in the mood for, and I'm glad I was because it was such good brain candy.

It's about the future where rich people live in a thousand floor tower in New York City. The higher the floor where you live, the richer you are. There are parks, aquariums, gardens, malls, schools, everything you can imagine, inside. The
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 The Thousandth Floor -
#2 The Dazzling Heights - Not Read Yet
#3 The Towering Sky - Not Read Yet

In the year 2118, in New York City there’s a thousand-story tower. It has everything you could imagine inside, and there is no need for you to ever get out.

The floor you live on represents your status. The higher you live, the more money you have, which means you become more popular. The rich people don’t necessarily hang around with the poor, and
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: The Thousandth Floor is a young adult dystopian written by Katharine McGee. It was published on 8/30/16 by HarperCollins, 448 pages. The genres are young adult, dystopian, and science fiction. This book is the author’s debut.

My Experience: I started reading The Thousandth Floor on 8/1/17 and finished it on 8/9/17. This book is a great read! There are a lot going on because there are many characters to keep up with. Not only that, the technology in this book is very high tech and out of
Izzy
I don't want to sound repetitive, but I have to start this review by saying what pretty much every other reviewer has already said about this book: this is, in a nutshell, futuristic Gossip Girl. And since I devoured that series when I was younger, making it one of my favorites (nope I'm not ashamed), this was a pretty good read for me. It was easy enough to go through, and very quick once you're in the mood for it. But if you're not a fan of reading about petty teenage drama and first world ...more
Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader
If you liked the show Gossip Girl, then you will definitely love this.

Going into this, I didn't really know much about it other than the fact that it's set in the future and follows the story of 5 teenagers. My expectations weren't that high for it either, but it ended up blowing me away. This is Katharine McGee's debut novel but it was written as if she is a seasoned author. She clearly has a talent for writing and her style really captivates you. After reading the very first page, I knew that
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-books
FOR SOME REASON, I NEVER RATED THIS BUT I FINISHED IT IN 2016????!!!!!!

OK first of all, this book is like a much lesser version of Gossip Girl. It tried hard to be great, but unintentionally fell far, far, down into a messy and completely shit splattered mess.

This book killed off its ONLY redeeming character. A character that was probably the most developed and interesting AND (view spoiler).

WHAT THE FUCK.
I was completely irritated and frustrated
Sandra
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'D LIKE TO THANK THE PUBLISHER FOR PROVIDING ME AN E-COPY VIA EDELWEISS IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW.

GIF MY THOUGHTS

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

LONG STORY SHORT

Mind you, I have not finished this book, so I'm giving you a glimpse of what I've read so far, which is just 20% of the book.

SOMEONE FALLS OFF A BUILDING
MULTIPLE 3RD PERSON POV
RICH KIDS MIXING WITH POOR KIDS
GOSSIP GIRL-LIKE PLOT
FUTURISTIC SETTING
INCEST (YES)

THE POSITIVES

While I could not finish this book, from what I've read so far, this book had some

• Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • One Dark Throne (Three Dark Crowns, #2)
  • One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)
  • Legendary (Caraval, #2)
  • Wildcard (Warcross, #2)
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
  • Two Dark Reigns (Three Dark Crowns, #3)
  • Secret Game. Brichst du die Regeln, brech ich dein Herz
  • Everless (Everless, #1)
  • Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
  • Two Can Keep a Secret
  • Falling Fast (Hailee & Chase, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Archenemies (Renegades, #2)
Katharine McGee is the New York Times bestselling author of American Royals and The Thousandth Floor trilogy. She studied English and French literature at Princeton University and has an MBA from Stanford. She lives in her hometown of Houston, TX with her husband.

The Thousandth Floor (3 books)
  • The Dazzling Heights (The Thousandth Floor, #2)
  • The Towering Sky (The Thousandth Floor, #3)
“Sometimes love and chaos are the same thing.” 90 likes