Start by marking “The Rape of Persephone” as Want to Read:
The Rape of Persephone

The Rape of Persephone

In ancient times, when the Gods walked the world, the God of the Underworld kidnapped a girl named Persephone. He carried her off to the Realm of the Dead and through trickery, forced her to remain with him and become his Queen.

Everyone knows the story.

Or do they?
ebook
Published December 22nd 2016 by Elizabeth Schechter (first published February 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Rape of Persephone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rape of Persephone

Laura DeLuca
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've always been a huge fan of Greek mythology. I love the original versions, but I also enjoy when an author retells a story in a completely different way. The Rape of Persephone does just that. It takes the story of Haides and Persephone, and gives it an original spin, right down to a new take on the spelling of the Lord of the Underworld's name!

The story is told from the perspective of Haides. While lying in a field and enjoying a spring day, Persephone approaches him, and let's just say, she
Jamie White
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Persephone myth is one of my favorites from since I was a kid, so anything based on it is going to be a "must read" for me. Since this is a short read, I can't say much without spoiling it. Instead, I will just say that it was an excellent retelling and I loved the author's take on it. I recommend for mythology buffs who are looking for a short, entertaining read.
JeFfeRy
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweetly disturbing

It's a short story. It was very moving. I'm not a huge fan of the demonization-punishment of persephone interpretation, but as it was written wonderfully I want to read more from the author. I would say I'd want to read more of this story, and I would, but it was a superb finish as a short story.
Kyrja Kyrja
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Lord of the Underworld - with a twist!

I have always prefer the version of this particular story wherein Kore came
to enjoy her husband's company and her life in the Underworld. I had no use
for the version wherein Haides was portrayed as a vile monster, refusing to
let the innocent young maid return to her mother and the world above. And
so I was hesitant to approach this version, certain the Lord of the
Underworld was in for another bashing.

I rather enjoyed, then, the personification of Haides a
Sunny
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love books or stories that retell, recreate and/or incorporate well-known myths. Occasionally, there are stories that stick out due to its originality. This short story takes an old story that is retold and incorporated numerous times and twists it on its axis.

Myth-lovers know the story of Persephone who is taken from the land of the living to the land of the dead by Hades. This short story takes a piece of that tale and changes the reasons for the abduction and allows the reader to analyze t
Serena
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of folk tales and love when an author is able to skew the story we all think we know by telling it from a different perspective. This short story does that with a famous myth and does it extremely well! Once I was able to begin reading it on the Kindle® app on my phone, I did want to put it down. It is short story and the pace remains steady from beginning to end. The writing is tight and there are few, if any, wasted words.
If you are of age to read the real, unsanitized versions of
Long Island Reader
Nothing grows in Hades...

A great twist on the ancient myth. Very well written, a perfect short story. It is thoughtful erotica, which cannot be an easy task.
MercySkye28
Aug 10, 2015
Emily Dones
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
The myth of Hades and Persephone with a twist. I liked this a lot although it was too short. It was refreshing. This makes Persephone mischievous character and that was fun to see but it would sometimes feel a little bit over done and she came across as bratty. That said, I loved how Hades was portrayed as a practical man, with a grey moral compass and at the end just doing his job. He is my favorite greek god and I don't like how they always write him like satan. I wish it was longer like it di ...more
Alexander
Dec 31, 2016
David Flockton
Jul 15, 2017
Elizabeth Schechter
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
Carly
Sep 01, 2017
Michelle Montgomery
Feb 07, 2016
Elizabeth Schechter has been called one of the top erotica and alternative sexuality writers in the world. Her writing credits include the award-winning steampunk erotic romance House of Sable Locks, the science fiction BDSM duology Tales from the Arena, and the Celtic fantasy Princes of Air. Her shorter work has appeared in anthologies edited by D.L King (Carnal Machines), Laura Antoniou (No Safe ...more