Start by marking “Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)

Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  87,571 Ratings  ·  3,467 Reviews
At the end of the school year, Kendra and her brother, Seth, find themselves racing back to Fablehaven, a refuge for mythical and magical creatures. Grandpa Sorenson, the caretaker, invites three specialists- a potion master, a magical relics collector, and a mystical creature trapper- to help protect the property from the Society of the Evening Star, an ancient organizati ...more
Audio CD, 12 pages
Published June 2007 by Shadow Mountain (first published January 1st 2006)

Kimberley doruyter
if there was ever a person in the world that does not learn for there mistakes it's seth.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2), Brandon Mull
Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star is a fantasy novel written by Brandon Mull. The book was released on May 31, 2007. It is the second book in the Fablehaven series. Its sequel is Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague.
At the end of the school year Kendra finds a kobold has infiltrated her eighth grade class. She can see mystical creatures without drinking a magical milk that is usually needed to enable humans to see such beings. Kendra can
Aaron Vincent
My first venture to the magical world of Fablehaven was truly an unforgettable one. I just couldn’t stop raving about it to every bookish person I know. Truth be told, I read Harry Potter series because a number of critics and authors compared Fablehaven to it(and yes, I just read Harry Potter this year. Please, don’t kill me.) I wanted to prolong the pleasure in reading the entire Fablehaven series so I didn’t read the 2nd book immediately after the 1st one. I finally decided to revisit Fableha ...more
P
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
เปนหนังสือทีเอามาอานกอนนอนไดสนุกมาก เนือเรืองนาสนใจขึนกวาเลมทีแลว แตยังไมพีคถึงขนาดทีวา...อานแลวจะวางไมลง เพราะเราหยิบๆวางๆหนังสือเลมนีหลายครังมากกวาจะอานจบ เนือเรืองตามสไตลแบรนดอนเขาแหละ คือไมเนนความหวือหวา แตเนนบรรยากาศทีเรือยๆ อานเพลินๆ ไมเรงในการคลายปมปัญหา ซึงมีทังขอดีและขอเสีย ขอดีคือ...มันจะคอยๆบิวทอารมณเราไปเรือยๆแบบไมมีสะดุด ขอเสียกคือ...มันงวงจนเราหลับไปหลายรอบเลยนะสิ

จะวากวานะ ... เซธนารำคาญนอยกวาเลมทีแลว แตกยังมีมุมใหนาตบกะโหลกอยูอีกเหมือนกัน สวนเคนดราฉายเดียวในตอนทายแบบเลมกอนอีกแลว ส
Kimberley doruyter
in the first book it's meet and great to all the wonders of the world.
in this book we see the villian arise.
Tyler
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kendra and Seth can't wait for the end of the school year so that they can return to visit their grandparents at Fablehaven. A few days before the school year ends, a scabby kobold appears in her class. The kobold appears normal to everybody except Kendra. With the aid of a kobold exterminator they get rid of him and are then swiftly evacuated to Fablehaven for their own safety. Once there, they find out that the Society of the Evening Star (which opposes preserves such as Fablehaven) has gotten ...more
Kells Next Read
 photo a9e4dd1f-a127-4e9d-b765-e79a84623015_zps4cmglmws.png

photo yeah_zpsja1vgpzm.gif

Satyrs, Narcoblix, Brownies, fairies, Weird Puppet intertwine with deceit, betrayals and non stop action makes this second installment even better than the first. I can't wait to move unto book three.

Love It
DeLaina
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to DeLaina by: my 10-yr old daughter Amanda, thanks to Jen Christensen's daught
Shelves: ya
I liked the sequel to Fablehaven even better than Fablehaven itself. The author was able to flesh out the characters and each gained a lot of depth.

I read Fablehaven last night, and the sequel, Rise of the Evening Star, tonight, so they're quick reads at 3-4 hours each. (Thank you writer's strike and sick, clingy kids who INSIST on me holding them and not minding me reading at the same time!!!)

They’re fantasy, not unlike Harry Potter but more infused with value of the family. No Dudley or mean
Rachel Lightwood
Usually people have a special book or a series that ‘got them into reading’. I am lucky enough to be able to say that I’ve always been a reader (which sounds like I’m bragging for some reason, but I’m not trying to). There’s not a period in my life that I can remember when I didn’t have a book in my hand! But with that being said, there are definitely a few series from my childhood that stand out and that played a major role in my love of books. One of those series was Mull’s Fablehaven saga.

Go
Thomas
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Kendra and Seth return to Fablehaven to discover more of what they don't know (and that can kill them) and save the day. Seth, now a year older, is a little wiser and doesn't find himself in as much trouble, but again, it is Kendra who comes through.

By the way, in both books, while Kendra is the reluctant heroine, she is helped by others, so this isn't some supergirl of unlimited capabilities or powers.

I get the feeling, in reading these first two books in the series, that these two young advent
Almak
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
The events in Rise of the Evening Star pick up months after where Fablehaven left off. It continues the adventures of Kendra and Seth Sorensen as they become embroiled in an insidious plot by the forces of evil to obtain powerful, magical items and unleash a nearly unstoppable horror.

Mull deftly continues to add to the wonders of the world that is Fablehaven, giving the reader new exciting storyline and plots while nimbly threading in those from the previous book.

His writing etches the framework
Lindsey
May 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle-schoolers, clean read, boy-and-girl appeal, fast read
Recommended to Lindsey by: Andrew and Cynthia
Shelves: cleanreads, reviewed
All right. This book was a mess. By about page 300 I was just zipping through it, so as to have the vital information for the next installment, because A and C promised it gets better. Sigh.

As usual, Mull delivers on imaginative world building, and the pace never slows, but his logical foundation is so weak I don't dare examine it--one too-direct breath could knock the whole thing over.

(view spoiler)
Connor
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This book was really awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed it with all of its fairy and mythological creatures. Seth and Kendra are two siblings who discovered that their grandparents were the caretakers of a magical menagerie in the first installment, Fablehaven. In this one, the evil Evening Star is trying to make their move against Fablehaven, and the siblings have to use all their wits and courage to defend the menagerie and the world. Kendra was awesome, smart, motivated, and responsible. She was j ...more
Rachel
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE
GREAT writing. If you liked Harry Potter, you'll LOVE this one. The writing is tighter, the characters not as....angst-filled, a little more real, I think.
The world is so beautiful and yet real-feeling. There is a great sense of morality without the SLAP of it in your face. NO force feeding here, just a delightful romp, jog and then a mad-dash to the climax in a world of majesty and power that is both magical and compelling.
LOVED it. EVERY person (at least a dozen) I have recommended it to (even
Chantele Sedgwick
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Originally read in 2008. Just re-read and loved it just as much the second time! Such a fun series! One of my favorites.
Muhammad Ozair
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.Five is reserved for books that really leave a emotional mark.
This book was much more thrilling than the previous one,the fairies aren't all wimpy and stuff.
What with Blixes ,the Sphinx and people like Coulter,it was a thrill reading this book.
Besides unlike Bahumat (refer to first book)- who was supposed to be so powerful he could overthrow Fablehaven but still got whacked by a couple of Fairies- the Revenant was more of a horror.The part where Coulter turned out be wrong about the Ph
Exina
Rise of the Evening Star, the second installment of the Fablehaven series is more dynamic and more complex than the first one. More mysteries, more adventures take place, and keep you absorbed throughout the story.

The world-building in the first book, Fablehaven, was incomplete and unrefined, now the magical world of Fablehaven begins to unfold, as well as more and more special abilities of Kendra.

Colorful and varied magic is created in Rise of the Evening Star. It is so diverse both in its crea
May 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was better then the first. I am still not drawn to the main characters. I wish Kendra would take some more initiative and try to find out what her talents and powers are from being made fairy kind. There is so much build up to that and it is left hanging again in this book like it was in the first. I wish Seth would set a better example in the book, he is constantly disobeying, I was not thrilled with the things the children did in this book, i.e. sneaking out of their parents ...more
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
“Sometimes the most preposterous lies are the most believable.”

4 stars.

Certainly an improvement from the first book, but Seth is still an idiot. Kendra has become the most capable out of the both of them, but I can see Seth learning somewhat. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Sorry this is such a short review. :P
Alice Spades
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
the twist...
L.R.W. Lee
Intriguing and creative

A great continuation of the first book in the series. New characters and obstacles with and end that brilliantly sets up the next phase of the journey.
Rana Heshmati
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rana by: Sana Heshmati
خوندنش خوش گذشت و حتی نسبتاً سریع بود. یعنی کشش خوبی داشت! دوسش داشتم هم! اما بنظرم به ارتباط آدم ها کم پرداخته بود.. نمی دونم، ولی انتظار بیشتری داشتم! بیشتر پر از اتفاقات هیجان انگیز و حادثه بود، تا کند و کاو در ذهن شخصیت ها و درگیر شدن!
Danica
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever dreaded going to a relative's house, but once you got there you never wanted to leave? This is how Kendra and Seth (The two main characters) feel when they have to visit their Grandpa and Grandma Sorenson. The first time they visit their house they discover the magical preserve called Fablehaven, they then have to survive Midsummer's Eve where all the dreadful creatures come out and wreak havoc. Then, before they go back to Fablehaven next summer Kendra and Seth get tricked into aw ...more
Hannah Walsh
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is really unique and fun to read. I love the humor and all the interesting characters.
I thought this one was better than the first, and I'm looking forward to reading more!
Jen
I really enjoyed this story. I would have called it a "4.5 star - great!" story if not for two major annoyances: My Number One Annoyance was Seth. Annoyance Number Two was the ending. But more on these later. First, let's talk about the story and what I "really enjoyed."

In this second outing with Kendra and Seth, they go back to Fablehaven at the end of the school year, as stated on the book jacket. But first, Kendra (view spoiler)
Amanda Thompson
Originally published on To Read or Not To Read?
PG: Mild fantasy action/violence; monsters, demons, ghosties, and other frightening mythical creatures.
Recommend to fans of The Spiderwick Chronicles, The Ever Afters, Artemis Fowl, and their ilk. Good middle grade read, but still enough plot and character development for older readers -like me!

In the second book, the magic doesn't remain in Fablehaven; instead, I love seeing the effects of the magical preserve and its mission leeching into the norm
Sam.the.wolf.king
this is one of my favorite Fablehaven books. the ending was my favorite part because it had action blood and gory.
Francis
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites-books
Quiero aclarar y reafirmar que esta saga es fantástica.

Puede que sea algo más infantil que otras, que no esté bien fundamentada o que no sea tan conocida... pero es una lectura muy imaginativa, adictiva y va evolucionando en cada libro.

Tanto la historia como los personajes enganchan de una manera brutal; Fablehaven es un mundo increíble, de ensueño y repleto de magia.
El amor por la imaginación, la vida y los seres fantásticos se refleja en cada una de sus páginas y la lucha incansable entre el b
Jul 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed this book slightly more than I did the first one. I like a little more action/adventure/intrigue to my fantasy novels and this one delivered in comparison. I did not like how neither of the main characters played much of a role in the climaxing moments of the second book. Kendra WAS acceptably involved in the first novel.

I'm a Potter fan, I admit it, so permit me my little rant. In the Harry Potter books the characters have great mentors but in the crucial deciding moment
Erin
Fablehaven is flat and forgettable. There is plenty of action and adventure, but it is soon forgotten when the book is finished.

However, I did have to give this book the dubious honor of being labeled “rubbish”. Mull has an uncanny knack for writing offensive things about Indians. This book had children playing on a Foosball table populated with cowboys and Indians – complete with headdresses and bare chests. For those struggling to wrap their heads around this, an illustration is included on pa
  • The Golden Crown (Tennis Shoes, #7)
  • Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret (Leven Thumps, #2)
  • Diamondback Cave (Wesley Mackey, #3)
  • Land Keep (Farworld, #2)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • The Horn of Moran (Adventurers Wanted, #2)
  • The Hunt for Dark Infinity (The 13th Reality, #2)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
Brandon Mull resides in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and three children. He spent two years living in the Atacama Desert of Northern Chile where he learned Spanish and juggling. He once won a pudding eating contest in the park behind his grandma’s house, earning a gold medal. Brandon is the author of the New York Times bestselling Fablehaven series and The Candy S ...more
More about Brandon Mull...

Fablehaven (5 books)
  • Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)
  • Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)
  • Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)
“Running toward danger is foolhardy. ... But so is closing your eyes to it. Many perils become less dangerous once you understand their potential hazards.” 165 likes
“Hello," Newel said. "Look, Doren, we have visitors. Kendra, Seth, and ... Muriel's weirdo puppet."....Newel grabbed Seth's hand and shook it vigorously. "Congratulations. You just found yourself a secret entrance."
"So seriously," Doren said. "What's with the puppet?”
121 likes