Start by marking “Being a Girl” as Want to Read:
Being a Girl

Being a Girl

A funny, frank and fearless guide to being a girl

Being a girl is not all sugar and spice. How can you possibly survive school and even think about talking to your crush when you have spots in places you didn't even know you had, your boobs are too big (or too small) and the friend drama is off the charts? Luckily, bestselling YA author and sixth-form teacher Hayley Long pr
Published June 4th 2015 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Being a Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being a Girl

Start your review of Being a Girl
Amy | littledevonnook
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brilliantly witty and incredibly informative! A must read for women of all ages!

- I received a copy of this book at the Hot Key Books blogger brunch wherein I also got to meet the lovely author Hayley. After hearing Hayley read from the book I knew it would be a writing style that I would love so I jumped into it pretty sharpish!

- This book is supremely funny but also packs a massive load of useful information. I think all men should be made to read this book, they would probably learn quite a b
Carol Flores
3.5/5
This book sums up different topics of how girls come in all sized and shapes, and how becoming a woman is not a big deal (though in some ways it is).

Aside from the fact that this was targeted to a middle grade audience, as a grown woman I wish I had read this when I was a teenager. I’ve always felt different about a lot of things and I wish I had someone to tell me that everything I was going through was pretty normal.

I’ve learned through experience all the things that are put in here, bu
N.N. Light
Teenage girls, listen up: This book is just for you (and not adults)!

Ever wish you could get the truth about something without having to ask adults? Do you have questions swirling around your head and keeping you up nights?

This book is your guidebook to life, boys, sex, health, who you are and what’s going on. Consider it the ultimate hack on life.

Have questions about boys?

Hayley’s got answers and she tells you the truth.

Wonder about whether you’re a boy or a girl (gender identity)?

Hayley
Jody McGrath
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *

This book was one of the best books I have ever read for preteen to teen girls. It was completely informative, easy to read, humerous, open-minded, and nonjudgmental. It started off with the basics, like how your body is going to change and what is normal and what is not. She also stresses that everyone is different and there are absolutely no absolutes. She also addresses make-up, hair, crushes (both straight and gay), dating, s
Layla (Between the Lines)
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016, arcs
I received this eARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This in no way alters my opinion of the work.
“Oceans are wet and deserts are dry and we are girls living in a world dominated by men.”
Guys, do not be scared. This is a boy-friendly book (kind of). I mean, you probably won’t care for the detailed explanation of a menstrual cycle, but this is in no way a “man-hating” book. It’s a book for people. And more importantly, it’s a guide for young girls to realiz
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"this book was crying out to be owned by you"
And read it I did.

Gosh I loved this book.
It was hilarious and I wish I'd have read this when I was younger.
Instead I worked through things on my own without a guide.
Recommended if you need a good laugh, or have a good sense of humour.
But be warned: contains peroids and faffing with your foof.
Hayley is awesome. So read this book now!
Ellie
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Being a Girl is a great book for teens who feel their PSHE is lacking in certain areas or just want an honest opinion on whether it’s OK not to shave. It preaches kindness and anti-douchebaggery whilst being amusing and informative on the subject of being a teenage girl.

It covers all the key areas of concern and potentially embarrassing questions of adolescence for girls; periods, boobs and bras, hair (both the kind you want and the kind you’d rather get rid of), spots, clothes, crushes, safe se
Marie Andrews
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion in any way*

This is such a light-hearted, yet deeply informative guidance book for younger girls (pre-teens/early teens I would say) on everything you would possibly need to know about growing up as a girl. And when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING - periods, sex, crushes, friendships, sexuality, appearance, hygiene, pressures, media - you name it! The layout is easy to follow and there's eve
Courtney
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Luna
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
Thank you Hayley Long! What I need now is a time-machine to take this back a *cough* few years and hand it to my teenage self. Ok so maybe the hair care & make-up section would still be completely lost on me but there is a lot in this book – and as Hayley points out at the beginning there are all type of girls and we’re all brilliant in our own way. :)

Plus it’s funny! So funny. If there is an audiobook Hayley needs to read it.

I liked what Being A Girl set out to do. It’s informative, funny (I kn
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
This is a book where Hayley Long's wicked sense of humour really gets to shine through. This book had me in stitches the whole time I was reading it, which is quite embarrassing when you're reading a book on a packed train. This is a book that I feel every young girl should read, and I wish it had been here when I was younger.

This book is not only funny, it's incredibly informative too and a read I think every young girl needs to read. It has chapters on sex, periods, hair and so much more, ever
Rickus Bookshelf
I wish I had had this book when I was 13. 13 years later this was more of a fun read, and there were things I laughed at because I remembered how I felt about them as a teen. I would recommend this to any girl just reaching their teen years as it is a fun yet very informative book about teen life. It even deals with quite heavy matters in a good and non-judgmental way. Well written and even fun for us that have survived our teen years.
Queen
It was a good book for teenagers. The illustrations were funny and caught the eye. Although I would've preferred a more informative book (rather than a moralizing book), I'm sure it would do the trick for teenagers. It's a great start. ...more
Alicia
Focused on sharing information, I was lost every now and again by the graphics or illustrations sharing BIG IDEAS while talking about everything that it means to be a girl from sex to periods and finding voice and power. Engaging as a whole or in pieces.
Kendall Ball
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A (mostly) feminist-friendly book for girls about navigating puberty. Clever, but sometimes lacking depth.
Mandy
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Overall it was a pretty sweet book, not overly condescending and it had a lot of really good and important information that I think young girls should have. It made real attempts to be inclusive as far as sexuality and gender go, but didn’t do quite enough in my opinion. It definitely focused on cis gender and heterosexual as the norm, but at least acknowledged that that isn’t for everyone and did have a general message of, be whoever you are, there’s plenty of room in the world for all of us.

T
N.N. Light
Teenage girls, listen up: This book is just for you (and not adults)!

Have questions about gender identity?

Hayley’s got answers and she tells you the truth.

Wonder about whether you’re a boy or a girl (gender identity)?

Ha
Marzie
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-net-galley
I received this book from Net Galley in exchange for a fair review.

I have to admit that this book says things that I'd never want to tell my daughter. No, silly not the sex and puberty things! Things like "it's a man's world and you better prepare yourself for that reality." Things like a girl has to be careful and to not create the wrong kind of reputation. Things like how to identify early signs of bullying or abusive relationships. All things that we want to spare our daughters from ever havi
Kirsty
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
So funny. Brilliantly informative. Should be in every school library.

When being a boy came out I thought it was awesome but lamented the lack of a being a girl equivalent. I was therefore so pleased to find out that this book was in the process of being written.

Being a girl is funny, informative and perfect for the intended target audience. It goes through a variety of need to know information that teen girls need to know especially when they live in a world where a huge variety of misinformat
Cat (cat-thecatlady)
this was a nice little read. definitely more fitting for younger audiences. loved the humour and little drawings! herstory was by far my favourite thing about this book!

recommended read for your younger sisters, nieces, cousins, daughters of friends, etc!

full review here: https://catshelf.wordpress.com/2016/1...
Anusha Narasimhan
Being a girl myself, I could relate to some of the concepts mentioned in the book. I didn't agree with some of the stuff. Overall it was a good, light read.

Note - I received a free copy of the book from the publisher. This has not influenced my review in any way.
Danielle
I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review:

Being a girl can be the coolest thing ever! But it’s not always perfect, because us girls have to put up with a lot, between periods, beauty expectations, and ultimately living in a man’s world. Still, that doesn’t mean we have to go through it alone!

This was honestly such a cute read. Being a Girl is a comprehensive guide for any girl in their teens--and even older!--that covers a wide range of topics, from
Anne
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this book and tone in which Ms. Long wrote it. I just wish that I had had this book when my girls were young teenagers. I think they would have liked getting advice from a book rather than good-old-mom all the time.

I can't figure out the target age for this book. In the beginning it seemed like ti was talking to Tweens. Then it mentioned 13-year-olds and later there is advice about STIs, contraceptives, and sex. I would pick the perfect target to be somewhere in Junior High.

The illustrat
Mila B
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I LOVE IT!
Teen and parents (yes, dads too) who are trying to understand what their teenage girls are going through listen up!
This book is for you!

this is like a Wikipedia of girls' life. It has everything girls try to understand and sometimes they just don't know who could they ask, just give them this book. Easy to read, very well organized, open-minded and so fun! Hayley did such a great job, she even put a game at the end of the book.

This informative book has got answers to your questions a
Chelsea B.
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like many reviewers have said, I wish this book was around when I was a teenager.
It's funny, true, engaging, full of useful information and interesting facts. And it doesn't sugar coat. Real issues and life decisions are discussed here. And Hayley Long knows just how to walk you through these issues and decisions. Well done.
Jess Grover
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

This a wonderful book for young women. It's not perfect, but I think it's better than a lot of stuff out there and I would recommend it to the young women in my life. I think there's lots of good kernels in here, and a few that I don't think are necessary. I think I'll be pondering what I would tell young women in something like this for awhile yet.
Jill
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for teens!!!
Olivia Huson
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the most useful and amazing book I've ever read. I'm 18 years old and this book helped me feel better about how crap it can be to be a teenage girl. I would definitely recommend!!! ...more
Ayana Yakhni
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a helpful book for teenagers !
Simi
Whoops. I thought this was another graphic/comic novel by Gemma Correll, but she's just the illustrator and this is a handbook for teens. My bad! ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ocho
  • Y luego ganas tú: 5 historias contra el bullying
  • El chico de las mil almas
  • Esta no es la típica locura de los 18 años
  • Xènia, tens un WhatsApp
  • T'estaré esperant
  • The Romance of Tristan and Iseult
  • The Boy at the Top of the Mountain
  • City of the Beasts (Eagle and Jaguar, #1)
  • El noi del bus
  • INAZUMA ELEVEN vol. 01
  • Mirall trencat
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
  • Boy: Tales of Childhood (Roald Dahl's Autobiography, #1)
  • War's Unwomanly Face
  • Did I Mention I Love You? (DIMILY, #1)
  • Earthlings
  • Fowl Language: Welcome to Parenting
Hayley Long is the author of several award-winning books for teenagers, including What’s Up with Jody Barton? and the Lottie Biggs books. She also works as an English teacher. Hayley Long lives in England.

News & Interviews