Start by marking “Duchess By Mistake (House of Haverstock, #2)” as Want to Read:
Duchess By Mistake (House of Haverstock, #2)

Duchess By Mistake

(House of Haverstock #2)

The Duke of Aldridge offers for Lady Elizabeth Upton, his best friend's sister, after a mix-up sends her to his bedchamber just when he emerges from his bath. Her scandalous behavior would shame her dear brother, the Marquess of Haverstock. She agrees to marry her childhood heart-throb, but former loves threaten to destroy their fragile marriage.
Published April 7th 2015 by Harper & Appleton (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Duchess By Mistake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duchess By Mistake

Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
COULD HAVE BEEN 5 STARS INSTEAD OF 3

"Duchess by Mistake" is the story of Philip Ponsby 5th Duke of Aldridge and Lady Elizabeth Haverstock. Philip has just returned to London from 5 year of living in Italy He orders a bath and as he is stepping out of the bath when Elizabeth enters and see him in his birthday suite. She was lead to the Dukes private chambers by mistakes. .Now Elizabeth is compromised and must marry Philip. Philips best friend is the Marquess of Haverstock and Elizabeth's brother.
Melissa
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book, for free, on Goodreads First Reads. This book is part of the House of Haverstock series, but I think it was a great stand-alone book. I am, however, curious about the other books in this series. This book was THAT good. I thoroughly enjoyed that setting (England) and the characters (Lady Elizabeth and Philip, The Duke of Aldridge). I had to pace myself while reading this book because, I think, I could have easily read it in one sitting. I have always loved historic romance novel ...more
Eileen Dandashi
Philip Ponsby, better known as Aldridge since he was the duke of Aldridge, was back in England after five years of gallivanting around Europe, sowing his oats, so to speak and most recently sowing them with Contessa Savatini who looked much like the woman he lost in marriage to his best friend many years back.

Now, back in England, at 32, he wants to take the reins of his dukedom seriously and just possibly make a difference against the monster Napoleon. Napoleon was trolling Europe conquering la
Dee Deacon Foster
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having had her heart broken, Lady Elizabeth Upton vows to remain a spinster. After receiving a letter from her brother who is a solider asking her to check on the widow & child of a fallen solider Lady Elizabeth sees a need for a home for war widows - a project she throws herself into. After finding a home that belongs to the Duke of Aldridge, her brother's best friend & her childhood crush, she takes it upon herself to visit the Duke & ask him to donate it to her cause.

Philip Ponsb
Nikita (Njkinny's Blog)
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All lovers of historical romance

Duchess by Mistake is the first book by Cheryl Bolen that I have read and I am happy to be introduced to her books. This book is the second book in the House of Haverstock series. I haven't read the first book, Lady by Chance but still I didn't feel as if I had missed anything when I picked this second book to read.

I loved the cover, especially the red gown and the blurb too had me sitting up and taking notice. These two initial things made me request this
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
COULD HAVE BEEN 5 STARS INSTEAD OF 3

Gail
This is a delightful little story. I truly enjoyed it. The hero is a duke who's been in Italy for several years and has finally returned to England to take up his duties. He intends to take up his seat in Parliament, volunteer his talents at the Foreign Office, and in his spare time he supposes he ought to see about acquiring an heir. Which means he needs a wife.

The heroine is the hero's best friend's sister. She had a crush on the hero backalong, but when he left for Italy, she finished growin
Connie
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A love story for all time

Cheryl Bolen is an extraordinary author of Recency romance. This is the 2nd in this series I have read this week. I am off to Amazon to purchase the 3rd.

This book is a brilliant take on Regency mores, the war with Napoleon, and British politics. Although our cultures have loosened overall, we still address many of the same issues today. How do we address payment for defense? What about the families over those lost in war? What is honor? How do we make these difficult dec
Kelly Mclean
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was okay, but it really did not keep the essence of a regency romance novel. I found too much modern aspects to really enjoy the storyline. Where is Jane Austen when you need her?
Stacy Gallina
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Ugh I could strangle the author

Overall, this was an enjoyable book. However, the end of the book was rushed and primary and secondary characters were left with unfinished business.
********SPOILER*****
Also, I was so angry about the ending. He leads his wife, his/her family and the ton to believe he is having an affair with his mistress. To which he publicly humiliated his wife. Just after humiliating her, he tells her the reasoning behind his actions. Miraculously, she forgives him immediately a
Shayla
Did not finish. Bored me to tears.
franciene whyte
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very Good Read

Miss Bolen has once again created exquisite characters that are expressive and true to life.
Good plot,interesting details and tear jerking ending.
Ted
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Success by Mistake

I enjoyed the romance between Elizabeth and her Duke. I also am waiting to see what happens between Claire and Richie. This is a great series.
RoloPoloBookBlog
Duchess by Mistake by Cheryl Bolen
Book #2: House of Haverstock
Source: Purchase
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Review:

Lady Elizabeth Upton is in her early twenties and has already decided love is for the birds and the life of a spinster is the only way to go. As a declared spinster, Elizabeth can move more freely through society with no chaperone, she can continue to live in her family home and, she can devote her considerable time to charitable causes. Elizabeth is quite happy with her decision for the
Zena
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do so love a good historical novel and Cheryl Bolen knows exactly how to write one with the right amount of romance, angst, mystery, a villain, secrets and most important, family values.
Elizabeth walks straight into an innocent and compromising situation with Phillip and as a result they have to get married.
They gradually fall in love but are both reluctant to be the first to admit this.
Ms Bolen weaves a beautiful love story which captures the dress, mannerisms, family values and romanticism i
Eileen Dandashi
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Our hero and heroine play their part perfectly and willingly, following the rules of Polite Society. Though when love ambles into their relationship, logic no longer rules. The rules be damned!

Kay Hudson
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, romance
Lady Elizabeth Upton is on a mission of charity, hoping to find a home for the widow and child of a soldier killed in the Peninsular War, when a series of accidents leads her into a very compromising situation involving a tub of bath water and the Duke of Aldridge. As the daughter of a marquess, she has a position in society to uphold; she can’t laugh away such an embarrassing incident. But she has no intention of being forced into a loveless marriage, either, even if she did once have a girlhoo ...more
Courtney
I found this book because I won the 3rd book in the series, Countess by Coincidence, through a Goodreads giveaway. I love reading books in a series, so I started with the 1st book, Lady by Chance. This is the 2nd book in the series and I have to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first one and I actually took a long time to finish this book because I could just feel the drama building and disaster waiting to happen. Which, I suppose is a sign of good writing.

In general, I love the i
Marissa
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kindle Copy for Review

Lady Elizabeth Upton was not looking to get married after she was rejected by a soldier several years ago who went off to war without asking for her hand. She is happy to be a spinster and do charitable works helping soldiers ‘widows and their families who need aid.

When a seemingly innocent visit from her asking for help with her brother’s best friend, the Duke of Aldridge, who recently returned from Italy after awhile, turns into a scandal that neither could imagine. The D
My Book Addiction and More MBA
#2 in the "House of Haverstock" series, but can be read as a stand alone. Fast paced tale of a marriage of convenience, family, duty, passion and romance. But can a marriage of convenience turn into the love of a lifetime? You must read "Duchess By Mistake" to find out, there is more to this tale than meets the eye.
The secondary characters are very entertaining as well, with a budding romance of their own, in the mix. The characters are lovable, interesting and endearing as well as engaging. We
Vi
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tantalizing and charming historical romance!
Helping the less fortunate is what Lady Elizabeth does. It makes her happy. She's one and twenty. She's decided not to marry. She'll continue aiding her sister-in-law with the classes for disadvantaged women. Now, she's added helping war widows and their children. She's found the perfect house they can reside in,. She just has to finalize the deal with her brothers best friend...
Philip Ponsby, the Duke of Aldridge, has returned home after five yea
Daneesha
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I wanted to scream so many times while reading this!

Why were the main characters comparing everyone/themselves to the wife of the heroine's brother? It was repeatedly said how beautiful Anna was and no one could compare. Um, why?
What duke would go along with blackmail from some foreign chick? Don't they have enough power and wealth to get rid of anyone with such a petty blackmail scheme? Don't even get me started on the blackmail scheme!
How is the daughter of a marquess so naive to socially app
Judy Lavik
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mistresses and mistakes

Anna and Charles are still deliriously happy in their marriage despite the tragedy that befell them. Now Charles's best friend, Philip, has come home after a 5-year absence and immediately compromises his last unmarried sister. All is forgiven, though, when Philip proposes. At first Elizabeth resists, but ultimately decides it's in her best interest to marry the Duke. Once again, we see a marriage that doesn't start out as a love match. These two have many hurdles to conqu
Marti

Duchess by Mistake by Cheryl Bolen is the second book of the House of Haverstock Series by Cheryl Bolen. Elizabeth Haverstock has determined that she is never going to be married. While going to ask Philip the Duke of Aldridge for assistance with her war widows, she is exposed to his naked self! This faux pas guarantees their marriage to each other right away. Philip and Elizabeth’s brother Charles are best friends, which help the marriage and confusion move forward quickly and quietly. Elizabet
De'Anna
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, first-reads
I'm not usually a fan of historical anything, but this book was a delightful read. Looking back to a time when the sight of a naked man "ruined" an unwed lady was fun to read. I was drawn into their story and couldn't put the book down. I will say that the ending seemed a bit rushed and somewhat forced.

Lacking the vivid and descriptive sex scenes typically found in romance novels, this book becomes more approachable for those who aren't comfortable reading those. I don't think that detracted fr
Evelyn
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, romance, historical
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this second book in the House of Haverstock series. It was fun to see the characters from the first book "Bride by Chance" (Anna & Charles). However, they don't hijack the story of Philip & Elizabeth. Misunderstanding, blackmail and silence run amuck in Duchess By Mistake. I liked how the author told the story alternating between Philip & Elizabeth. The peek into a time when Napoleon was at war with England added a layer to this story. The plight of army ...more
Joan Osborne
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Truly enjoyable romance

This was a clean Regency romance that I found truly enjoyable. The story was interesting and I found myself immersed in the romance of Phillip and Elizabeth and thoroughly enjoyed watching them fall in love. I anxiously turned the pages towards the end to see how Phillip would get himself out of his dilemma with the Contessa Savatini. If you enjoy a clean romance without sex scenes and a good storyline then this is the book for you.
Wendy Tavenner
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book, the 2nd in the series. Philip the Duke of Aldridge has just returned from a 5 year absence. Elizabeth is wanting a house he owns to be used as a refuge to widows of fallen soldiers so she goes to his residence. A simple mistake happens and they are married days later. You have lust, passion, misunderstandings, jealousy and eventually love all wrapped up in a wonderful read. Thanks for another wonderful book!!
Bev Ross
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It started out ad a typical arranged marriage after Elizabeth mistakenly gets ruined by Philip her brother's best friend! But it had some good plot twists that will keep it interesting! And a couple unforgettable character's that make this a romantic, humorous, likeable story with the quality of writing that has become the signature of Cheryl Bolen .That is why I will buy a Cheryl Bolen book just because it is by her!!! I know I won't go wrong!
Sandy Digger
Ah romance....

What a lovely story of romance, just the right amount of angst...and a happy ending although I wasn't sure it would be. The story of Phillip and his lovely bride. Although she starts out with disgrace she more than acquits herself. She starts a home for war widows and their children after her brother writes to her of his fellow soldier's wife, asking her to look out for her. Ms. Bolen's books are always well written , and I can't wait for the next one!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 21, 2015 02:21PM

• The Duelist's Seduction (Seduction #1)
  • Rockwell's Lady
  • Bride of Falcon (Waltz with a Rogue Novellas, #2)
  • Never Say Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #4)
  • The Disappearance of Lady Edith (The Undaunted Debutantes, #1)
  • To Wager the Marquis of Wolverstone (Wicked Wagers, #2)
  • A Scandalous Charade (Scandalous, #2)
  • Legend of Love (Muse Chronicles, #2)
  • The Soldier's Bride (Music Box Romance #1)
  • Sugar Sweet (Sugar #1)
  • Miss Goodhue Lives for a Night (Winner Takes All, #2.5)
  • When the Crows Fly Low
  • Obsession
  • One Wicked Night
  • Hard Ride #2: A Novel in Three Parts (Ready to Ride #4b)
  • Going All In (Heat Wave,  #4)
  • A Scandalous Affair (The Merry Widows #3)
  • Kiss the Boys (Lost Girls #2)

Since being named Notable New Author for 1997, Cheryl Bolen has published more than 35 books with Kensington/Zebra, Harlequin, Love Inspired Historical, Montlake, and independently. She has broken into the top 5 on the New York Times and hit the USA Today bestseller list. Her 2005 One Golden Ring won Best Historical, Holt Medallion, and her 2011 My Lord Wicked was awarded Best Historical in the In

House of Haverstock (4 books)
  • A Lady By Chance (House of Haverstock, #1)
  • Countess by Coincidence (House of Haverstock, #3)
  • Ex-Spinster by Christmas (House of Haverstock, #4)
“Even if it was not a love match for either of them.” 0 likes