Start by marking “Cold Sake: Yamabuki vs. the Undead” as Want to Read:
Cold Sake: Yamabuki vs. the Undead

Cold Sake: Yamabuki vs. the Undead

Not all vengeance is exacted by the living.

In 12th-century Japan, Yamabuki, a young woman samurai, 17 years old, travels deep into the Oku wilderness. Along a lonely road, at a forgotten inn, she seeks shelter, warm food, and cold saké. But as darkness falls, she ends up fighting for her life...and she finds that there are terrible things under heaven that no weapon can va
Published December 13th 2013 by Toot Sweet Ink

To ask other readers questions about Cold Sake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Sake

Ariel Hudnall
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Japanese tradition is long and complicated, with subtleties that are truly hard to capture in a work of extant fiction. However, Katherine M. Lawrence does a wonderful job of it. Peppered throughout "Cold Sake" and "Haru" are little details like using the old calendar (Year of the Monkey, for example), and translating the tongue-twister names of people in the pre-modern era so that their inherent meanings can be gleaned even by readers unfamiliar with the language.

Doubly impressive is the ch
Jay Batson
Such fun!

Kate weaves a truly enjoyable tale here. She knits the warp of Japanese custom with the weft of a good plot & crisp pace. It was good fun to read, and I look forward to more tales of Yamabuki.
Patricia Gulley
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fast read. A very good ghost story.
Katie Harder-schauer
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story is written in an odd style, but I think it might be consistent with the style of Japanese story telling. The way the characters spoke and thought made me think at least a little bit of Memoirs of a Geisha, which is the closest example of Japanese story telling that I have experience with.

This was a really short book, less than 50 pages, so it was a quick read, but it was also very entertaining. I have always enjoyed ghost stories, and ultimately, that's what this is. I suppose I woul
Roslynn
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m not terribly well-versed in Japanese culture or history, and Cold Sake would not normally be in my reading genre, but a friend who’d read it gave me the book as a gift…and I found it quite enjoyable. There’s an outstanding ghost story here, a couple of compelling combat scenes, and plenty of mystery around the character of Yamabuki and her mission. The setting is vivid, the pacing solid, the glossary helpful, and the cover beautiful. I wish there were more of it to read. Happily, there is an ...more
Jo Ladzinski
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, physical-copy
Excellent, quick read. Lawrence seems to have a grasp of her setting and her character, Yamabuki. The story is more of a traditional ghost story with a spooky demon and some disturbing imagery. It was unsettling, which was to be expected. The incorporation of Japanese cultural elements were well-done in a way that felt natural and not pedantic.

**DISCLOSURE** Received from Goodreads First Reads program in an exchange for an honest review **
L.   (Vacation All I Ever Wanted)
Your classic ghost story of someone looking for shelter for the night, finds what seems to be a comfortable place to stay, is confronted by The Unknown, then awakens in the morning to discover the place has been in ruins for quite some time and everyone that was encountered last night has been dead for years.
Antonia Malvino
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite ghost stories. The print version is excellent, and the audio version (can be obtained at Audible) is a favorite, one I listen to whenever I'm in the mood for something spooky and beautiful. Highly recommended.
Larry
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, captivating. Difficult to put down. I'm crushed that the rumored follow-on series is not available yet.
Andrew Sng
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic reading ...

Fantastic reading ... It has me wanting more of the series I can only hope that she will write more of this character
Via Mari
Jan 02, 2016
Claudia
Dec 05, 2017
Eileen Tanaka-Minami
rated it did not like it
Dec 07, 2015
Anne Vonhof
Apr 06, 2018
Emmanuel Papelera
Dec 03, 2015
According to the Wall Street Journal, April 3, 2015, Katherine M. Lawrence may very well have originated the widely used term, "glass ceiling."

Currently her Yamabuki series is about a woman samurai who breaks through a ceiling in ancient Japan to become an accomplished warrior, but without losing her humanity.

The author first became interested in Japan while growing up in Seattle, Washington, and