Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Uncle Vanya” as Want to Read:
Uncle Vanya
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Uncle Vanya

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  14,159 Ratings  ·  392 Reviews
Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright David Mamet’s Uncle Vanya is a sparkling restoration of a masterpiece of the modern stage, marked by Mamet’s finely tuned ear for dialogue and memorable poetic imagery.

In "Uncle Vanya," a retired professor and his beautiful young wife return to the country estate left by his deceased first wife to find themselves overwhelmed by the stagnan
Paperback, 96 pages
Published January 21st 1994 by Grove Press (first published June 2nd 1897)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
Issa Deerbany
الخال فانيا الذي اضاع حياته هباء، يتنازل عن حصته في الإقطاعية لأخته ويعمل من اجل اخته وزوجها البروفيسور الاستاذ الكبير ليقوم بالانفاق على أبحاثه.

تموت اخته ويتزوج البروفيسور الذي اصبح عجوزا امرأة شابة يقع الجميع في غرامها ومنهم الخال فانيا.

الحياة في الإقطاعية مملة جدا وآلة يريد ارضاء البروفيسور الاناني والذي يحول نظام البيت على هواه ومزاجه.

استيقظ الخال فانيا عندما عرف ان البروفيسور سيحاول ان يقنع ابنته ببيع الإقطاعية والرحيل الى المدينة، يجن جنونه ويحاول إطلاق النار على البروفيسور.

في النهاية تعود
هو الحليم اذا غضب.. هو البعير اذا هلك
العم فانيا سيجعلك تتساءل :هل للطحالب جذور؟
هل هناك ما يحول *السلبيين* لقوى محركة؟
مع تشيكوف لن تجد ندابون و لا أبطال..
لا اصباغ و لا مكياج . .
فقط مجموعة من المبهمين ممن سيجبرك تشيكوف على التعاطف معهم في مسرحية عرضت في اخر ايام القرن 19

بروفيسور متقاعد متباهي مغرور عاد مع زوجته الشابة لضيعته التي ورثها من زوجته الأولى ...و لاعوام طويلة ظل العم فانيا شقيق زوجته المتوفاة؛ يرسل له إيراد المزرعة و يكتفى براتب صغير البروفيسور البغيض يستدعي طبيب بشري يائس "استروف " ليعا
Ahmad Sharabiani
Дядя Ваня = Uncle Vanya = Dyadya Vanya, Anton Chekhov
Uncle Vanya (Russian: Дядя Ваня, translit. Dyadya Vanya) is a play by the Russian playwright Anton Chekhov. It was first published in 1898 and received its Moscow première in 1899 in a production by the Moscow Art Theatre, under the direction of Konstantin Stanislavski.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و یکم ماه آوریل سال 1992 میلادی
عنوان: دايى وانيا - نمایشنامه در چهار پرده؛ آنتون چخوف؛ مترجم: هوشنگ پیرنظر؛ تهران، نیل، 1347؛ در 127 ص؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران،
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature

عن الشقيانيين و كل عزاءهم أنهم سيرتاحون فى الجنة و لا أمل لهم مطلقا فى الراحة تحت هذه الشمس و فوق هذه الأرض
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kindle, reviewed, 2015
Another great Anton Chekhov play. I’m not really sure what it is I love about Chekhov, though if I had to narrow it down I might attribute that love to some of his more pitiable characters—think Lubov Andreyevna, for example, or Treplev from The Seagull. Or I might say that there’s a kind of understatedness to his plots that bring his plays to life in a way that is often unmatched. There are recurring themes, also, that unify his four major works. The characters in Uncle Vanya discuss at length ...more
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite play. I discovered it thanks to one of my favourite movies, Vanya on 42nd Street... Such a satisfying work of art about frustration...
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, fiction
Similar themes as in Three Sisters, but I liked Three Sisters better than Uncle Vanya, even though I really enjoyed this play also.
We have three male characters in existential, middle-life crisis and two females unsatisfied with their lives, but seeking consolation in love, faith in God and ideals. The melancholic and nostalgic atmosphere is present throughout the whole play as well as the sense of tiredness of life.

ASTROFF. … And then, existence is tedious, anyway; it is a senseless, dirty bus
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uncle Vanya was completed by Russian playwright, author and doctor Anton Chekhov in 1897 and first produced in Moscow in 1899. This fairly complicated interaction between a group of people, secluded in a country estate is filled with dramatic irony and with overwhelming themes of introspection, ennui and dashed hopes. To say it is bleak would be like saying Conan O’Brien can be a snarky smart ass.


But this is Russian drama, so some darkness can be expected, even anticipated. I wonder if long, col
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dramaturgy
Just this.
"We must live our lives. Yes, we shall live, Uncle Vanya. We shall live through the long procession of days before us, and through the long evenings; we shall patiently bear the trials that fate imposes on us; we shall work for others without rest, both now and when we are old; and when our last hour comes we shall meet it humbly, and there, beyond the grave, we shall say that we have suffered and wept, that our life was bitter, and God will have pity on us. Ah, then dear, dear Uncle,
Ken Moten
"Astrov [shouts angrily]: Stop it! [Softening tone] Those who will come after us, in two or three hundred years, and who will despise us for having lived our lives so stupidly and insipidly--perhaps they will find a means of happiness...In the whole district there were only two decent, cultured men: you and I. But after ten years of this contemptible, barbarian existence we have been encompassed by it--it has poisoned our blood with its putrid fumes and we have become just such vulgarians as all ...more
نقد روز
یکی از ویژگی های بارز نمایشنامه این است که تقریبا تمام شخصیت های آن از زندگی های خود راضی نیستند و احساس رخوت، تاسف و خستگی می کنند. آن ها از افزایش سن خود گلایه می کنند، حسرت سال هایی را می خورند که با کارهای طاقت فرسا هدر داده اند،غم عشق های برباد رفته را می خورند و در این مساله تفکر می کنند که اگر جور دیگری زندگی می کردند اوضاع در حال حاضر به چه صورت بود. به این ترتیب آن ها غم فقدان را می خورند، بدون این که توجهی به داشته های فعلی خود داشته باشند. در طول نمایشنامه، تفکرات شخصی آن ها در معرض د ...more
I enjoy Chekhov's short stories immensely, I think many of them would make very good plays. But he also wrote good plays, and Uncle Vanya was one of the best. It's about one Russian family and their interfamily relationships, featuring jealousy, secret amorous longings, and common bickering, that occur over a span of a few days. I know it's meant to be a serious play, and it is, but I couldn't help but be amused by some of their actions and conversations. I would love to see this one on stage.
Perturbare assopiti acquerelli

I quattro atti di Djadja Vanja sono definiti Scene di vita di campagna (e rielaborano qualcosa che Čechov aveva scritto quando non aveva ancora trent'anni, nel 1889).

L'ambientazione è una proprietà di campagna russa (la villa di Serebrjakòv), dove la normalità della «noiosa, stupida, sudicia» vita di provincia (così la definisce uno dei personaggi) è stata sovvertita da qualche tempo dalla presenza del professore di arte in pensione, Aleksàndr Serebrjakòv, capriccio
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays-drama

From serf to aristocrat, the incessant race to outrun boredom, insignificance, futility.

Insert- histrionics, war, accusation, blame, infatuation, certification, profession, materialism, religion, faith, posterity, captiousness, dependence.

Life. The fabricated rationalizations that constantly strive to alchemize vacuity to consequence.

Human hubris.

توفيق عبد الرحيم
معدل القراءة قل في وقت غلط تمامًا مش واثق من تقييمي للمسرحية الحقيقة بس ده تقييمي ليها لما قفلتها
المسرحية دراميه تعرض حياة الخال فانيا الذي ضيع حياته في ادارة ضيعة اخته المتوفية و ارسال النقود لزوجها السابق و بذلك لم يعش حياته ابدًا لم يتزوج
و تصدمه الحقيقة فجأة بأنه ضيع حياته من أجل شخص لا يستحق حتي هذه التضحية
و تتوالي الأحداث حتي يعود الخال فانيا لعمله مره أخري
و كذلك تعرض المسرحية أقدم محب للطبيعة قرأت عنه حتي الآن الدكتور أستروف
لم أعلم أن المحافظين علي الغابات بهذا القدم و يمكن أن يكون هناك
I came upon this play at just the right moment, when I could see it in isolation and yet reflecting the connections between it and all the other great plays about family interaction, unrequited love, and human despair. It reminded me strongly of Eugene O'Neill or Arthur Miller, filled with a kind of crazy inability to act, to move, to change.

I had no idea previously that Chekov was writing directly to all of us, the people "one hundred or two hundred years from now" who would be facing an enviro
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anton Chekov. Gerçekçi oyunculuğun Bernard Shaw'la birlikte mucidi.
Vanya Dayı ise onun en bilindik oyunlarından biri.
Br çiftlikte geçiyor oyun.
Vanya, Sonya'nın dayısı. Sonya'nın annesi ölmüş. Yaşlı babası, güzeller güzeli üvey annesi, dayısı ve dadası ile beraber yaşıyorlar çiftlikte.
Bu arada Vanya dayı, üvey anneye fena halde aşık.
Birde doctor var. Yaşlı babanın romatizma ağrıları nedeniyle o da çiftlikte. Üvey anneyi görür görmez o da vuruluyor kadıncağıza. Kadının yaşlı profesörle evil olm
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Vanya Dayı: Çocuğum, bilsen nasıl da güç geliyor bana! Ah bilsen nasıl güç geliyor!

Sonya: Ne yapabiliriz? Yaşamak gerek!
Hayatında mutluluğu tadamadın, ama bekle Vanya Dayı bekle...

Vanya Dayı’nın geçen yıllar karşısında elinden kaçırdıklarına ve
bunlara karşı olan isyanına ,
insanın da isyan edesi geliyor bağıra bağıra!
TAM •'
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays

"لم يعد بمقدوري أن أتعلق بإنسان، أنا لا أحب أحداً ولن أحب. أما الشي الذي لا يزال يشدني فهو الجمال لا أستطيع أن أكون لا مبالياً تجاهه !"

خالنا فانيا، شخص عاش حياته من أجل شخص آخر، مرة من أجل أمه وأخرى لأخته وزوجها وأحياناً لابنة أخته إلى أن وصل لعمر استوعب فيه أنّه لم يعش حياته لأجله ولا لمرة واحدة، لم يحقق شيء على صعيد حياته الشخصية ولم يبني شيئاً لا مادياً ولا حتّى معنوياً.

ككل قصص تشيخوف، هنالك مغزى وراء كل قصة، هنا عليك أن تتعلم كيف تعيش حياتك لأجلك، مهما بلغت بك الرغبة بأن تمنح حياتك لإس
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çok sevdiğim oyunlardan biri Vanya Dayı. İsyan etmek ile etmemek arasında sıkışıp kalan hayatlar ve Çehov'un saf pürüzsüz kelimeleri. Behramoğlu çevirisi güzel, İŞ Kültür basımı imla/basım vs hataları yok.

Soluklanmadan 1 saatte yeniden çok severek okudum...
Fatima Zohra Larbi
رغم عدم ولعي بالمسرحيات الا ان كلا من تشيخوف وشكسبير استثناء من القاعدة
في الخال فانيا يصور تشيخوف حياة الشقاء التي يعانيها كل من سونيا وخالها فانيا
الى جانب بعض الحوارات الاخرى

سنسنمع ترانيم الملائكة، و سنرى السماء مرصعة بالماس، سنرى كيف تغرق كل شرور الدنيا، كل آلامنا فى بحر الرحمة، الذي سيغمر العالم كله، و ستصبح حياتنا هادئة رقيقة عذبة كالحنان. أنا أومن، أومن.. يا خالي فانيا المسكين، أنت تبكي..أنت لم تعرف الفرح فى حياتك، لكن مهلا، مهلا يا خالي فانيا..سوف نرتاح..سنرتاح!


Seen the Louis Malle movie a bunch of times, saw it performed as a kind of farcical romp once, read the actual play several times over.

It's my favorite among the Chekhov plays I've read. Stunning, relate-able, so agonizingly true to life (the love triangles, dorky-but-sweet professor type doesn't notice the simple heart who loves him, wretched old man whose longing for the beautiful lady is simultaneously his idea of redemption and self-pity, on and on....) and with an ending that gently plac
محمود حسني

لما برجع أقرا حاجة لتشيكوف بفتكر كلام باتريك سوزكيند عن موزارت في مسرحية مونودراما عبقرية ليه اسمها الكونتراباص

وكان بيقول على لسان عازف الكونتراباص : إن موزارت حقيقة ليس أسطورة في الموسيقى .. ليس استثنائي في مؤلفاته .. أهميته ليست فنية بقدر ما هي تاريخية .. أهميته في أنه أول من أفتتح تلك الدروب التي أتى من بعده بيتهوفن وشوبان وشوبارت ليملؤها عبقرية ..

تقريبا الكلام اللي اتقال عن موزارت في الموسيقى نقدر نقوله عن تشيكوف في الأدب وخصوصا القصة القصيرة ..

Tempo de Ler
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O tamanho deste livro não é reflexo da densidade do seu conteúdo. Por ser uma peça, acabamos por ter um papel mais activo, acrescentando as nossas percepções em relação ao que não foi escrito. Cada vez mais os livros se enchem de grafismo, parágrafos e parágrafos de descrição para montar cenários, linhas e mais linhas para dissecar sentimentos e aqui está, da forma mais simples possível, mas com igual ou superior competência, «O Tio Vânia».

A melancolia que encontrei antes nos contos de Tchekhov
Hiba Arrame
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une succulente pièce de théâtre, admirable même... Chekhov a su comment inclure le thème des interactions familiales, l'amour, le désespoir, la vieillesse, tout dans cent pages.
L'oncle Vania n'est rien qu'une figurine pour plusieurs gens, pour les humains, dans son désespoir, dans son regret pour le temps qu'il a perdu de sa vie, quelques uns savent cacher l'oncle Vania qu'ils ont au dedans d'eux, d'autres n'essaient pas de le faire.
Cette pièce théâtrale inspire beaucoup.
مجید اسطیری

تئاترش را چند سال پیش با کارگردانی و بازی اکبر زنجانپور در نقش دایی وانیا در تالار اصلی تئاتر شهر دیدم.
مصطفی مردانی و خانمش را دعوت کرده بودم. تولد موسیو بود.
تئاتر به شدت تلخ و گزنده بود. مخصوصا پایانش. خوب شد تنها نبودم وگرنه زیر آوار اندوه اون همه فاصله آدم ها با هم و با آرزوهایشان نابود میشدم. مصطفی و خانومش تا از تالار اومدیم بیرون از حال و هوایش خارج شدند و آخرم شام منو برند ساندویچ فروشی داغون اون دو تا داداش ترک تو خیابون خاقانی.
مایه های ضد روشنفکری در این اثر چخوف هم به شدت در رنگ هستند
Adem Yüce
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çalışacaz Vanya Dayı Çalışacaz...
David Sarkies
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Modernists and people who like Russian literature
Recommended to David by: I've always wanted to read Chekov
Shelves: modernist
The nobility in a time of transition
11 October 2013

This is the last of the four Chekov plays that was in the book that I picked up in a second hand bookshop in Adelaide. The main reason that I grabbed the book was because I had never read anything by Chekov before, and also it was one of those nice hardcover editions (though I suspect that it is actually a part of a much larger collection of world literature, like the ones that are advertised in television in one of those ridiculously long info
Aliaa Mohamed
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
ربما تبدو المسرحية في مظهرها الخارجي عادية ، ربما بعد الانتهاء من القراءة تشعر بأنك لم تحصل على شيء جديد أو تستفيد شيئاً من قراءتها ، ربما تشعر بخواء ولكن كل هذا لا ينكر أن بساطة أسلوب تشيخوف في تلك المسرحية اخفى وراءه قيمة هامة للعمل المسرحي هذا .
الخال فانيا ، الكثيرون منا بداخلهم الخال فانيا ، البعض يعترف بذلك والبعض الآخر يرتدي قناعاً لإخفاء ذلك .
أغلبنا تمر عليه لحظة يشعر وأن حياته مرت هباءاً وأنه أضاع الكثير من الوقت في الماضي دون أن يقوم بعمل أشياء لا يستطيع القيام بها الآن ، الندم وما أدرا
Ahmed Mahmoud Gamal
Sep 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anton-chekhov

لحد الان لم أقرأ قصةاو مسرحيه مبهرة لانطون تشيخوف ..هذه المسرحيه تافهه للغايه هل تكلم تشيخوف عن مشاكل فى مجتمعه؟..لا لم يفعل فقط نجد مسرحيه بدون هدف تحكى عن عائله ريفيه حياتها ممله ورتيبه ..يتبدل حالها
بمجرد وصول احد افراد الاسره هو وزوجته ..يقع كل افراد الاسرة الذكور والعجائز فى غرام الزوجه ..وتجنبا للمشاكل
تقرر الزوجه وزوجها الرحيل كما جاءا ..هذه هى المسرحيه
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
All About Books: Group Play -- Uncle Vanya (Spring 2015) 46 44 Jun 19, 2015 09:08AM  
Public Play House: Uncle Vanya 1 7 Mar 01, 2015 10:04PM  
  • The Inspector General
  • The Master Builder
  • Mourning Becomes Electra
  • Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
  • Krapp's Last Tape and Other Dramatic Pieces
  • The Father
  • The Little Tragedies
  • The Lower Depths
  • Time Stands Still
  • A Delicate Balance
  • The Cripple of Inishmaan
  • Electra
  • Far Away
  • Curse of the Starving Class
  • The Threepenny Opera
  • The Clean House and Other Plays
  • Asya / First Love
  • Oleanna
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov [Russian: Антон Павлович Чехов] was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.
"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov r
More about Anton Chekhov...

Fiction Deals

  • War Brides
    $3.99 $2
  • Bluebeard
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Madonnas of Leningrad
    $10.74 $2.99
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Want Not
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Twelve-Mile Straight
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Long Way Home
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cafe by the Sea
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Everybody's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $2
  • The Word Game
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cats Are Weird: And More Observations
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Wake Up
    $4.99 $2
  • The Way to London: A Novel of World War II
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Abby's Journey
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Ask the Dust
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Kings of Broken Things
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Collected Stories of Stefan Zweig
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Saving Abby
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Fat Chance
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Jailbird
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Mrs. Saint and the Defectives
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fire by Night
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
    $8.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“..when one has no real life, one lives by mirages. It's still better than nothing.” 51 likes
“What must human beings be, to destroy what they can never create?” 32 likes
More quotes…