Start by marking “The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  289 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Female entrepreneurs are a growing force to be reckoned with. Each year, more and more women take the initiative and start their own business ventures—at twice the rate of men. Women continue to reshape the business world with innovative models, both large and small. So why is there a lack of clear-cut, expert advice aimed at this dynamic female audience?

In The Boss of You
Published April 15th 2008 by Seal Press

To ask other readers questions about The Boss of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boss of You

Jeannette
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm not one to read business books which is a shame since I have my own business, but I really liked this one. Lots of practical advice and even though I've been in business for myself for a couple of years, there still was enough information in there to keep me reading. I got this book from the library, but I actually think I will head out and purchase this one. Even though it's geared towards women, I think my husband (and business partner) will find that this book is full of useful informatio ...more
Emily
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome, start to finish. I checked it out of the library, but now I really want to get my own copy and read it again, dog-earing pages and writing in the margins. Tara Swiger, from Blonde Chicken Boutique, recommended this on a call she did a while back, and the advice seems right-on and adaptable to all different kinds of small businesses, from product sales to service-based.
Lorissa
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every woman wanting to start, or grow, their own business needs to read this.
Julianne
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-reads
I really loved the practical and encouraging tone of this book, as well as the sassy humor. It was full of great advice and made me think through a lot of aspects of running a busniess without overwhelming me. That being said, there were a few words/business examples that I didn't exactly appreciate, so in spite of the overall fabulousness of this book I have to give it four stars.
Ariadna73

The Boss Of You - Lauren Bacon and Emira Mears

This book is full of common sense advice. I liked to see the ideas printed in paper in front of me. I think it would be a good reading for someone with no idea on how to defend themselves in the world.

This is the cover of the book I read:

This is the edition of the book, and a beautiful dedicatory to every woman that is running a business and needs good vibes to succeed:

Here is some advice on getting ready to set the shop:

And he
Juliette
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a fantastic book and here's why:

* Approachable writing style makes it very easy to read (good sense of humor, too!).
* Rich content that's clearly organized.
* Lots of examples to flesh out the topics covered.
* Helpful exercises to encourage experiential learning, not just read-it-and-maybe-forget-about-it.

This book is aimed at women, but it's not full of crazy feminist stuff or touchy-feely-how-to-love-you type of stuff. I was worried I'd get that in a book aimed at women (eve
Diana Nagy
Jan 15, 2016 added it
Shelves: books-i-own
If you are starting your own business, this is the book for you. I can't begin to tell you the tips that have helped me to make my business a success by reading this book. It is filled with everything, literally. Branding, home office set up, marketing, taxes, and tons more! Literally everything related to a home business you can think of and then some. While some of the information wasn't relevant for me initially, some of it later came to be and I know others will be more later. This is a book ...more
Kat
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I read everything from start to finish. This book was like a breath of fresh air. It really told me everything I needed to know and stayed true to its title. I checked it out from the library but its definitely on my list of books to purchase. This is not a book I just read through. It actually inspired me to get a notebook and brainstorm. Very inspiring. The best book for aspiring woman entrepreneurs. Great step by step information and resource guide in the back. I ...more
Tara
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it
What I learned from this book...
1. Not that I'm going to be going off on my own anytime soon, but I think every independent woman wonders what it would take. This is as simple a guide as possible that's out there and it was easy to read, but I was left with more questions than answers. Which, I suppose in this case, is a good thing.
2. On the one hand, starting your own business seems easy, and why wouldn't you want to be your own boss.
3. On the other hand, it's quite scary and takes some bravery
Jaime K
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library, business
Best book I've found about running a business if you don't have a traditional business background, and what you think of as "traditional business" makes you cringe just a bit. This is a modern, refreshing guide accessible to creative types and those looking to be serious but not stuffy. If you've wanted to start a business and have no idea how to start, what to expect, or what resources you need, this book grabs your hand and takes you through the process, most importantly helping you get a gras ...more
Stitchywoman
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Good book for anyone (woman or man) who is interested in starting their own business. Well organized, understandable, and concise book the goes over the basics of starting your own small business. It was an eyeopener for me and has caused me to rethink some of my plans. I realized, after reading this book, how unprepared I was to start a business. This book is not in-depth but rather is a good first start for anyone interested in owning their own business.
Sheyna Galyan
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an EXCELLENT book: practical, funny, and encouraging without being too perky. I'd give it 4.5 stars, and the only reason it's not a 5-star book is the book designer's fault: the print was just a point size or two too small, and—glasses or not—reading that tiny print for more than a few pages gave me a headache. Wish I'd had the ebook version!
Kim Olson
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic little guide to launching a business, written specifically for women who plan to start a small, creative endeavor. It offers advice on planning, marketing, pricing--the whole gamut--with precisely this type of business in mind. It's chock-full of specific tips and advice (and inspiration), and the writing style is pleasantly engaging.
Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really good, makes me want to start my own business. US-focused, which surprised me a little. Very fun to read (except some of the drier bits about finances and taxes, I'll admit), lots of great tips and fabulous anecdotes. Highly recommended!
Jacqueline Snider
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a very informative book for all business owners, not just women. They are very insightful and comprehensive in their tips and their exercises really help you answer some of those tough questions about business decision making.
Jamie
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: z-2012-reads, non-fic
I thought this book was well written and gave me some valuable information as well as a few things to ponder. A good addition to my resources collection. I see myself referring back to it in the future :)
Laurie
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this book because I have been thinking about startin an online fabric store.... A lot of this book didn't really pertain to me and my business ideas, but I still enjoyed it and found it very useful.
Stacy
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very helpful book that doesn't come across as too dry and "businessy." There's lots of good info in here, even if you aren't your own boss but, like me, work for a small business and/or want to keep your options open for the future.
Melanie Mauer
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
i read this in 2008 which feels almost like a decade - and at the time, it was groundbreaking for it's thoroughness. parts now might be less applicable but i'm grateful for the help it was at the time.
Ashley Howard
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this book is just what i need right now. motivation and reassurance that woman CAN be their own boss! written by two very artsy and hype ladies, this is not a dull read.
must read for all those seeking self employement!
Lisa
Nov 25, 2008 added it
Shelves: could-not-finish
Looks to be chock-full of great info, but my entrepreneurial mojo has died down a bit (not due to the book!) so I just couldn't finish it. I do plan to read it someday, if the entrepreneurial mood strikes again.
Sarahjane
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a nuts and bolts business book that doesn't make you feel evil or encourage you to become so, this is a good choice. It's a business guidebook for people who never expected to be in need of one.
Kate
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great book for women.
Anne
General overview of various aspects of starting and maintaining a small business on your own terms. A good place to start anyway.
Ashley
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book if you're serious about freelancing or working for yourself - I'm not business-inclined, and I LOVED this book!
Linda Le
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
okay, i never finished this book but it's a great reference. easy to read, female friendly...
Mirbot
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love this book, it really covers most everything you need to know as a new entrepreneur. The authors are from BC, so there is plenty of Canadian content as well.
Jess
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
All obvious steps. Demeaning to women.
Anna Edwards
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource for anyone looking to start their own business.
Kassel
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
A good, unconventional look at guiding women into running their own businesses. Best for women who seek to maintain a small business, have a solo proprietorship, or run a consultancy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • The Handmade Marketplace: How to Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, and On-Line
  • The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business: Candid Advice, Frank Talk, and True Stories for the Successful Entrepreneur
  • Crafty Superstar: Make Crafts on the Side, Earn Extra Cash, and Basically Have It All
  • The Right-brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists  Creatives of all Kinds
  • I Just Like to Make Things: Learn the Secrets to Making Money while Staying Passionate about your Art and Craft
  • The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed: The only personal finance system for people with not-so-regular jobs
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • Where Women Create: Inspiring Work Spaces of Extraordinary Women
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • Infographics
  • The Freelancer's Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Have the Career of Your Dreams_On Your Terms
  • Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life
I am the author of The Boss of You: Everything a Woman Needs to Know to to Start, Run and Maintain Her Own Business
More about Emira Mears...