Start by marking “Voracious: A Hungry Reader Cooks Her Way through Great Books” as Want to Read:
Voracious: A Hungry Reader Cooks Her Way through Great Books

Voracious: A Hungry Reader Cooks Her Way through Great Books

Blogger, butcher, pastry chef, and voracious reader Cara Nicoletti explores the intersection of great books and great food.

Cara Nicoletti has been an avid reader since childhood, and she is an equally enthusiastic eater and cook. Here she combines her passions in a delicious literary feast, essays on beloved books and the food scenes that give their characters texture and
Published August 18th 2015 by little

To ask other readers questions about Voracious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voracious

karen
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eats, free-from-work
the ratio of text-to-recipes in this book skews strongly towards the recipe side of things - about 2-3 pages of writing per recipe - which is a shame because like Jenny Lawson and Samantha Ellis and Sarah Hepola, i love this woman's voice and enthusiasm, and she is someone i would love to hang out with, please!

she loves books and she loves food, and her trajectory from smalltown new england booknerd to NYU and big city/big apple dweller is like a younger and much more successful version of me.
Heidi The Reader
Voracious is so much fun. It is a foodie's honest and open-hearted memoir in which she weaves literary themed recipes each chapter and gives a brief summary of the novel that included it. Pair this with Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist and you've got the makings of a bookworm's dream feast!

The chapters from Cara's childhood were some of my favorites because they were so relatable. "I cooked and read my way through awkward middle school years, first love, devastating heartbrea
Miriam
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culinary, books
Rather disappointing. Great concept, but neither her anecdotes, her reading choices, or her recipes were very interesting to me. Also, the culinary selections often seemed minimally connected to the books, and the whole thing felt as if it were forced for the sake of a blog concept.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by knowing people like karen and Kinga who do this sort of thing better.
Roya
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good
I should probably start off by saying I do not cook. Ever. I was drawn to get this book not because it contains recipes, but because of its huge literary element. Cara Nicoletti, a butcher and this book's author, writes an essay for each book. Then there's the recipe portion, which I of course skipped. This book is sort of like a bunch of Goodreads reviews packed together. Nicoletti writes about her relationship towards each book she makes a recipe for and it's quite relatable. It's divided into ...more
Karen Witzler
A fun book for readers under 30 - alas, neither the literary choices nor the recipes appealed to me. Recipes were , on several occasions, only vaguely connected rather than historical or regional re-creations. I did like reading about her restaurant and butchery work.
Julie Ehlers
I decided to take a weekend to read this book in its entirety, and I loved every minute of it. Nicoletti revisits treasured books from throughout her life and cooks the meals described in them, sharing both her reading experiences and the recipes with the reader. As other reviewers have pointed out, some of the stories she tells and recipes she provides are only tangentially connected to the books they’re ostensibly about, but for me this actually worked better than a more slavish devotion to th ...more
Book Riot Community
I really enjoyed reading these very short essays about favorite books from different periods of the author’s life combined with recipes inspired by those books. It not only made me want to go back and read all of my old favorites, but also prompted me to add several to my TBR (and several items to my cooking list). I know what I’ll be giving as holiday gifts for friends this year! -- Wallace Yovetich

from Buy, Borrow, Bypass: http://bookriot.com/2015/04/27/buy-bo...
Diane Barnes
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book hit the mark for me on a lot of different levels. I love books about books, collect them in fact. And I love cookbooks and books about food. So give me a book about books that includes recipes of foods mentioned in the books she talks about, and we've got a winner. Add to that the fact that she is a butcher in New York City who knows what she's talking about, and a darn good writer who knows how to say it. By the last essay, I felt like an old friend. I haven't tried any of the recipes ...more
Lesa
Isn't it fascinating to discover what one reader gets out of a book when another misses it totally? I've read a number of the same books as author Cara Nicoletti has, but I never concentrated on the food in the books. She's a butcher, a former pastry chef, and the author of the literary recipe blog, Yummy Books. And, so many of her memories of books involve food as evidenced in her book, Voracious: A Hungry Reader Cooks Her Way Through Great Books.

Any reader will appreciate the preface of Nicole
MaggyGray
Es passiert nicht oft, dass mich ein Buch persönlich so berührt, dass ich es nur in mal mehr mal weniger großen Happen lesen kann. "Yummi Books" ist so ein Buch.
Man darf nicht den Fehler machen und ein reines Kochbuch erwarten, denn dann wird man höchstwahrscheinlich enttäuscht werden. Vielmehr schreibt hier Cara Nicoletti über ihre zwei großen Leidenschaften: das Lesen und das Kochen. Sie unterteilt ihr Buch in drei Abschnitte, ihre Kindheit, Jugend und das Erwachsensein, und beschreibt anhand
Diane S ☔
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 review to follow.
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-arc, food, nonfiction, memoir
Voracious: A Hungry Reader Cooks Her Way Through Great Books (from this point forward, referred to as only Voracious because that is a mouthful!) sets out to do something completely unique and interesting. Author Cara Nicoletti writes about her combined love of books and food, while also giving us bits of her life and how literary food scenes completely speak to her.

Voracious is divided into three parts based on where in Cara Nicoletti’s life the book was read and/or affected her. The sections
Callie
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I came across this book when I was searching for cookbooks one day and decided to give it a try. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but the premise sounded intriguing - a hungry eater cooks her way through great books? Sounds (sort of) right up my alley!

I was pleasantly surprised and ended up really enjoying this book. Each chapter is a mini-memoir of how the author was introduced to each book, a little bit about the story and history of the book, what she noticed about the culinary references in
Julie  Durnell
A beautifully illustrated book-about-books with a scrumptious corresponding recipe for each book essay and interwoven with her personal history of time, place, and situation. Very well done!
Trudie
I needed a light, fun, foodie book after the serious ecological epic that was my last reading experience. Due to a reading challenge I had been spending a lot of time trying to find a "food memoir" that actually appealed. In as much as I love cooking and cookbooks, food writing falls into two camps for me - whiny, egotistic chef memoirs or trite love letters to wholesome lives spent making pie crusts or growing organic vegetables. So I was very happy to have this book recommended to me as it com ...more
Mona Nomura
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Apologies to the author, for I just finished three Laurie Colwin novels in two days and read VORACIOUS still immersed in Colwin's world of witty, unapologetic, honest storytelling. It's probably unfair for most writers to be read after Colwin, really, as she is utterly delightful and her charm, timeless. But VORACIOUS was redundant and slightly painful to read.

Nicoletti repeats how much she likes to read, uses books as a form of escapism, and cooks to cope through awkward and tough times over a
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of my favorite things in the world are 1. reading fiction/nonfiction books 2. reading cookbooks 3. eating 4. reading while eating. I found Cara Nicoletti and her book delightful. I want to be in a book club with her. Cara weaves personal stories with reviews of her favorite books and how both inspired a recipe. The final chapters went well with roasted pepper pimento cheese, sweet potato Triscuits and a red blend.
Darcy
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes five stars is for "this is a masterpiece and it should win every prize and everyone must read it" and sometimes it's for "I feel like the author wrote this specifically for me and I loved every page." This is the latter. I love books, cooking, and talking about books and cooking, so this was pretty much a perfect storm.
Lisa
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very bloggy, best of the blog kind of book. I wish that there was more of a structure to seeing the author change and grow through her maturity and relationship to her books.
Laura Harrison
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have for any book lover. One of my new favorite titles.
Cathie
Cara Nicoletti’s debut novel stems from her love of books. A former pastry chef and current butcher, she adds writer to her repertoire. Her literary food blog Yummy Books began when she started a book and supper club, which then became the impetus of this pretty book.

A coming-of-age memoir (sections separated into three periods: childhood, adolescence and college years, and adulthood), she shares her stories about how a particular book affected her during a time in her life, connecting deeply to
Hannah
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is brilliant. With books and food, you already have a good chance with me, but Nicoletti doesn't just let those carry her through. The brilliance is in her balance of composition. She writes about books that have meant something to her personally, people and moments through which these books reached her, and the food inspired by all of this reading, which brings it all home. Each recipe and section of prose is just a few pages long, which feels like just enough. That being said, I have ...more
Beth Knight
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
An enjoyable, fast read. One mistake the author made, which I'm surprised got past the editor, is she kept referring to the parents of Laura Ingalls Wilder with the last name "Wilder" rather than Ingalls! Picky, I know, but it was annoying. I always like reading books about books and books about food, so this was a nice combination.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I devoured Voracious: A Hungry Reader Cooks Her Way Through Great Books. The author has taken lots of her favorite books and closely looked at the food described within. It makes for a fun collection of blog posts, especially if you, like me, are a big fan of books-about-books.
Nusrah Javed
Gotta commend the author's observational skills!

If you love books and cooking/ eating food, read this!
Highly recommended!
Robert
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2017-18-season
I am a sucker for autobiographical cookbooks (tell a story, present a recipe) and taking a literary bent on that formula made this an irresistible read. Many of the recipies seem worth trying - not overly complicated in either ingredients or technique - and the stories told have reminded me of several reading aisles I have yet to turn down and mapped out several others I've never considered exploring.
Amy
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good idea for a book. The author talks about books she has loved, the food and cooking in those books, and recipes she created inspired by them. I like books about books and books about cooking so this one was a good fit for me. Some of her chosen books I have read, and some I have added to my TBR list.

The only issue I really had was in the very first chapter. She talks about Little House in the Big Woods, and the recipe is for sausage like "Ma Wilder" made. That makes me think she doe
Elizzy
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zusammengefasst
Als ich den Klappentext zu diesem Buch sah, wusste ich, dass ich es einfach haben muss! Wie toll konnte es sein Rezepte aus seinen Lieblingsbüchern nach zu kochen? Und ich wurde nicht enttäuscht, schnell fand ich einige Rezepte die mir ausserordentlich gut gefielen und die ich unbedingt nach kochen wollte.
Das Buch ist in drei Kapitel aufgeteilt „Kindheit“ – “ Jugend und Studium“ – und „Erwachsenenalter“. Passend zu diesen drei Themen sind dann die Bücher aufgelistet, es beginnt mi
Chelsea
More reviews available at my blog, Beauty and the Bookworm.

When I first saw Voracious' description, I thought it would be love at first read. "A Hungry Reader Cooks Her Way Through Great Books." What more could a hungry reader who reads her way through great books want? Well, the answer is apparently something other than Voracious, because while this book had nice parts, it wasn't really what I wanted.

Cara Nicoletti is a woman with a career in the food industry and a love of books. Our love of b
Camilla
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I quickly breezed through half of the book up there. On a cliff. On the edge of the continent. It was refreshing. And, over the course of a few evenings this week, I've voraciously devoured Voracious.

Let's get this out first: It's not a novel. There is no plot. This is a collection of musings by Nicoletti who is a former pastry chef, butcher, and author of the literary recipe blog Yummy Books. More importantly, she's an avid reader whose tastes in books seem very closely aligned with my own.

She
  • Fictitious Dishes: An Album of Literature's Most Memorable Meals
  • Stir: My Broken Brain and the Meals That Brought Me Home
  • How To Cook A Moose
  • The Book Lover's Cookbook
  • Eating for Beginners: An Education in the Pleasures of Food from Chefs, Farmers, and One Picky Kid
  • Foraged Flavor: Finding Fabulous Ingredients in Your Backyard or Farmer's Market, with 88 Recipes
  • Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good: A Memoir of Food and Love from an American Midwest Family
  • Maman's Homesick Pie: A Persian Heart in an American Kitchen
  • The Cassoulet Saved Our Marriage: True Tales of Food, Family, and How We Learn to Eat
  • Season to Taste: How I Lost My Sense of Smell and Found My Way
  • In a French Kitchen: Tales and Traditions of Everyday Home Cooking in France
  • Food Fights & Culture Wars: A Secret History of Taste
  • 52 Loaves: One Man's Relentless Pursuit of Truth, Meaning, and a Perfect Crust
  • The Butcher and the Vegetarian: One Woman's Romp Through a World of Men, Meat, and Moral Crisis
  • More Home Cooking: A Writer Returns to the Kitchen
  • Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris
  • Life Is Meals: A Food Lover's Book of Days
  • The Tucci Cookbook
“Realizing that your emotions and experiences aren't yours alone is one of the great powers of reading.” 1 likes
“What I know now, having lost both of my child hood dogs, is the the grief of losing a beloved pet - especially one that has been in the family for many years - is as much about recognizing the passing of time and the closing of chapters as it is about mourning companionship.” 1 likes