Start by marking “Vreeland” as Want to Read:
Vreeland

Vreeland

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In every school, there is always one exceptional individual who stands out from the rest of the crowd.
Seventeen-year-old Anton knows this all too well. Creative, sensitive, and musically-gifted, he possesses an intangible quality that draws both the admiration of young girls and the ire of teenage boys. Teased since grade school for his slightly-pointed ears, and tormented
Published January 27th 2015 by FriesenPress (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Vreeland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vreeland

Charlotte Anderson
I enjoyed this book much more than I initially thought; however after I started reading it I couldn't put it down. Vreeland is a magical place where the main character Anton falls in love with a fairy named Titi, the fairy world mirrors our own and is full of adventure and true love. The romantic interests and developments are so enduring. The illustrations are charming and added to the enduring qualities of the book.

The story has a lovely message; one that we all could learn from the message th
Kimberley doruyter
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
one of the most adorable things i have ever read.
Briar's Reviews
Vreeland is a very cute novel!

This novel is an interesting one, since I would not label it as a story you read to children, yet it's not exactly Young Adult material either. It seems to be placed somewhere inbetween the two, since there is romance and fighting that seems more along the lines of Young Adult, but the plot line seems very childish, like something I would read to a six year old.

I did find this novel extremely hard to read. The author types out the accents of the characters, so lett
Jodez
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tweens/Teens and the Young at heart.
Recommended to Jodez by: Goodreads First Reads
Shelves: one-for-my-girls
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads.

Very cute! This is the story of 17yo Anton, a teen who just doesn't quite fit in. Preferring books and music over sport, and keeping his hair longish to cover his elf like ears, Anton was always the target for bullies.

After one such bullying incident at Summer camp, Anton finds himself in a strange place, Vreeland, surrounded by 5 beautiful girls, each with a tiny waist, pointed ears, dainty wings and incredible beauty...

Journeyi
Jessica
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

GOOD JOB, MR. STRUMP! YOUR WORDS HAVE PAINTED A BEAUTIFUL PICTURE IN MY HEAD. I did not expect to actually enjoy this book but it sucked me in and soon I felt like I was right there beside the characters experiencing their adventures along side them. I am positive Vreeland will stay alive in my mind for quite sometime. This book could easily become the next hit thing. I would not be surprised if I one day see an animated Anton and Titi on tel
Susan Jordan
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Since I have grandchildren and want to encourage them to read, I occasionally pick up a book which looks appropriate for kids. This one caught my eye because of both the title and the charming artwork on the cover, and the author's premise. All of the Oz books were great favorites of mine, so a tale of a magical place sounded like a journey I would enjoy sharing with my grandkids. The book was an absolute delight. The great descriptions of Anton's adventures ... everything he experienced in this ...more
Sheryl Lee
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been neglecting my indie author reading lately, just not enough hours in the day. Here is my review of Vreeland, by Gabriel Strump. Vreeland is first and foremost a fairy story with a moral, in the tradition of all the best fairy stories.
Anton is a teenage boy who is bullied for being different. While at summer camp, and running from bullies, he falls into a hole and finds himself in the magical realm of Vreeland.
Vreeland is a land where proportions make no sense - strawberries are huge, p
Julie  Whitley
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the engaging world created by Gabriel Strump. The story follows Anton, a clever and creative teen who is bullied and teased by others. Following a particularly frightening episode at camp, he awakes to find himself in a strange place where beautiful little creatures can fly, one can catch a ride on a bumblebee and a tomato is the size of a house. There are parallels with his home and his parents and neighbour in his new world. As the Vrees learn about him, Anton learns more about himse ...more
Darlene Cruz
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All I needed was fairy dust and it will complete my adventure. Vreeland a magical fairyland. You will journey through this tale with the feel of honest to goodness fun. Don't get me wrong you will stumble upon a bit of a turmoil but the overall feel of this book made me feel like a kid again. Their language and words so childish and cute, like a child who lost their front tooth and their pronunciation of words will make you laugh or get spit in your eyes. Fireball ... Viheball, boyfriend ... boy ...more
Clare
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Vreeland is a sweet fairy tale for readers of all ages, I enjoyed the story of Anton and his arrival in Vreeland where he meets creatures and fairy folk (Vrees) of all different kinds that come in all different colours shapes and sizes. He finds himself falling love with Titi a Vrees who helps Anton along with her sisters to find his way around Vreeland. The story has a few twists to keep you reading to the end including a battle to save the Queen but it leaves you to make up your own mind of wh ...more
2OCC Reviews
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anton a 17year old gets bullied, he has slightly pointed ears, long hair, and plays the flute (extremely well). from the first page I was hooked, hoping Anton would overcome this bullying. It's clear he's been through a lot with the bullies and I felt so sorry for him! I seriously wanted to cry for him!
It's a magical, heartwarming story!
It's lovely to see how he's accepted into Vreeland and finds love!
It's a very well written book, I actually really enjoyed it!
Sharon Lopez
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great story with many life lessons

In this story the characters become other characters; as real life meets a fantasy one. The main character, Anton learns many lessons about life, himself, family, and love as the story progresses. Through this new wisdom, his character is majorly transformed. This is a very creative and unique story that people of all ages can enjoy and learn from.
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book seemed at first like it would be silly, but in truth it has a depth that you wouldn't expect to find in a YA book at all. Strump's descriptions of the characters and scenery are complex, vibrant and intriguing and the book really makes you think even after you've read it.
Mackenzie
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairies, ya, middle-grade
This would make a great animated movie. I love the world building in this book. This book sucked me in from the first page.
Hawa Abd
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
xxw
Richard Kiefer
Oct 10, 2017
Meredith
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gabriel-strump
I loved this book. There were a lot of themes in this story that reminded me of other stories that I'd read. The author very creatively created a beautiful world. I loved the dialogue and how some of the characters couldn't say pronounce the letter R. I had to reread some of the words, so that was also a bit of a stumbling block. I really loved the ending. The book overall was a rollercoaster ride, especially the second half.
Ajanaen
Melitta Cross
Erin
Louise
Mar 07, 2015
  • Geth and the Return of the Lithens (Beyond Foo, #1)
  • The Pirates of Bair Island (The Absolutely True Adventures of the Amazing Faradays, #1)
  • Dreamer (Clockwork Twist #3)
  • On Fledgling Wings
  • The Dragon Riders of Pearl
  • Dragonflame: Tap Into Your Reservoir of Power Using Talismans, Manifestation, and Visualization
  • How I Met My Pet Dragon  (Dragon In My Garage #1)
  • Chewy Noh and the Fall of the Mu-dang
  • The Jaguar Key: The Eternals: Rosamond's Story
  • Dragoncrown
  • Tangled Magick
  • Maya Vanishing
  • Earth Vs. Aliens (Aliens Series #1)
  • The Morrigan: Raven Heart
  • 299 Sudoku Mix
  • Monster Manor
  • She Rides with Genghis Khan (Catalina & Bonhomme International Spy Series, #3)
  • We Spy (Sam's Top Secret Journal, #1)
Hi. I am Gabriel Strump. I'm a business owner, philosopher, musician, and the author of Vreeland.

I live in the Midwest. I am an amateur gardener. I love to cook. I love to read. I love to write. I love to make music.

I play violin, piano, organ, and keyboards well. I play other instruments too, but not so well. I also sing.

I have spent years reading and studying books about philosophy, religion, sp