Start by marking “Twice Upon A Time: Fairytale, Folklore, & Myth. Reimagined & Remastered.” as Want to Read:
Twice Upon A Time: Fairytale, Folklore, & Myth. Reimagined & Remastered.

Twice Upon A Time: Fairytale, Folklore, & Myth. Reimagined & Remastered.

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Fairytales don’t always happen once upon a time. Fables don’t always have a happy ending. Sometimes the stories we love are too dark for nightmares. What if waking Sleeping Beauty was the worse thing the Prince could have done? What if Rapunzel wasn't in that tower for her own protection—but for everyone else’s?

Assembled by The Bearded Scribe Press, Twice Upon A Time combi
Published January 14th 2015 by Bearded Scribe Press

To ask other readers questions about Twice Upon A Time, please sign up.
The Bearded Scribe I decided to publish an anthology of one of my favorite literary elements: fairytale retellings. I extended the scope to include folklore, fable, and…moreI decided to publish an anthology of one of my favorite literary elements: fairytale retellings. I extended the scope to include folklore, fable, and myth, then contacted a few authors to contribute. This anthology serves as the launch of my new publishing house, The Bearded Scribe Press.(less)

Missie
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A new published friend asked me to review her short story in the anthology Twice Upon A Time and I could not turn her down. I am so proud of AJ Bauers and all the work she has done in the past year to achieve her dreams! She moved to a brand new state and started going to school to pursue her dream of creative writing - leaving her family, friends and a career behind. She is already making strides with her first story published in Twice Upon a Time!

Likes:
This book is amazing. The anthology has
Emily Craven
This anthology was a mixed bag for me, some stories were brilliant and other stories needed a tight edit (I'd say the ones that were brilliant were because the author themselves already had a tight handle on editing). While, conceptually a great idea, the anthology needed a much tighter curation, at 745 pages in length it needed to be about half the size (I have this feeling the editor didn't want to say 'no' to anyone). In saying that, if you skip over the stories that aren't doing it for you, ...more
Tina
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

Twice Upon a Time is a delightful and eclectic collection of tales with a supernatural twist. Ranging from fairy tale retellings set in the future to mixtures of beloved tales blended into a fantastical dream (or nightmare), you never know what characters you might stumble across. Like any anthology, there are ups and downs from story to story. Overall though, I thought that the collection was very well chosen, and there were definitely some hidden gems in there.

Readers to be warned though, many
Amy (Lost in a Good Book)
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Note: I was provided with a copy of this book for review.

Twice Upon a Time is an anthology of fairytale retellings and cover everything from the Grimm Brothers, Hans Christian Anderson, fables, myths, as well as numerous folklores. Each fairy tale has been interpreted and retold differently and the myriad of authors who contribute have created stories that reimagine fairy tales in beautiful, unimaginable, and captivating ways.

What is wonderful about this collection is each story takes a differen
Kimber Wheaton
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the editor in exchange for an honest review

I'm going to start by saying WOW. Not since Brothers' Grimm have I been so entranced with a collection of short stories. What made this anthology fantastic was the imagination and creativity that went into each individual story. These authors weren't just hacking up old stories and regurgitating them. The stories in Twice Upon a Time were unique and compelling -- all of them. The stories range from modern to fantasy to sci-fi,
Tay LaRoi
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

“Twice Upon A Time” is a brilliant collection of tales that breathe new life into classic stories and introduce readers to ones that feel like they should be classics. It also provides a wonderful chance for independent authors to showcase their work along traditionally-published authors, proving once and for all that they have what it takes to write along side those who take more conventional routes to success.

My favorite thi
Queen Spades
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: royally-favored
Note: A copy of this book was provided by the editor in exchange for an honest review.

Twice Upon a Time is a juggernaut of fairy tales, folklore and myth—a collaboration of different authors for the purpose of giving an alternate take … a dark side, if you will, to a genre usually geared towards the “moral of the story” and “happily ever after”.

I typically start off with the assets of a book but I will deviate from my usual and begin with some suggested improvements.

Cons

Triathlon of Talent

When I
Crystal Marie
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a pretty cool book, but I knew it would be from the description. Basically, it’s an anthology of fairy tales told in a new way. There’s Grimm Brothers of course, fables, myths, folklore – it’s awesome. Each tale is different and imaginative in a way that I didn’t know was possible.

My favorite story in this book was the Spear Among Spindles, which is the retelling of the Helen of Troy myth in modern day. I thought the way it was brought into the present was incredible and captivating and
Kim
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Twice Upon a time is a collection of Fairytale Folklore with a darkness woven throughout. Unlike the happy tales we all know, each author tells the take in their own unique way. There are so many different tales told, giving each reader something to enjoy.
The first story was a bit too twisted for me. Luckily, it was a quick read and the next one proved to be much better. Some are so dark and full of horrendous acts, and some feature romance and suspense. The tale that stood out the most for me,
Kim Falconer
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've delighted in these stories. Such a wonderful range. Beautifully written and edited.

My favourite?

Tarran Jone's ‘All That Glitters’. The retelling of the 'girl with no hands' is very moving to me, a story I researched when the far distant planet Sedna was discovered. In ancient lore, Sedna was also a girl with no hands, the meaning and metaphor as relevant today as ever.

Fabulous read!
Katherine
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Good imagination of the writers, loved the remastered stories
Nicola
Jul 25, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
A collection of essentially amateur writers. May revisit when retired.
Andretta Schellinger
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
There were done really good stories and some that could use some work. The main issue is that this was over 740 pages long. Would have done alot better in pieces.
Liz
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A good mix of stories. As always for an anthology, some were more to my taste than others.
A.J. Bauers
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Nichole Taggart
Dec 17, 2014
Joshua
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Tarran
Seth
Jun 27, 2018
Shauna Uzan
rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2016
Jeremiah Jacobs
Dec 16, 2014
Kenechi Udogu
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Micki
Mar 02, 2015
Portia Rockers
Apr 04, 2017
Shelly Mcintosh
Apr 19, 2015
Tonia Harris
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hannah
Dec 17, 2014
Elizabeth
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Joshua
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Liz DeJesus
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Aussie Readers: New book - 'Twice Upon a Time' is now live 2 21 Jan 19, 2015 12:27AM
Fairy Tales Eclectic: New Release: Twice Upon a Time 2 33 Dec 18, 2014 09:39AM
  • Falling for Alice
  • Valentine (Cupid, #2)
  • Nearly Undone (Nearly, #3)
  • Mayan Blood (The Stone Legacy, #1)
  • Through a Tangled Wood
  • Things I'll Never Say: Stories About Our Secret Selves
  • Escape (The 1000 Revolution, #2)
  • Fairy Tale Confessions
  • Five Enchanted Roses
  • Tales of Arilland (Books of Arilland #5)
  • Fierce Reads: Kisses and Curses
  • Slumber (Slumber Duology #1)
  • Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales
  • Among The Shadows: 13 Stories of Darkness & Light
  • The Ugly Stepsister (Unfinished Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Eye of Horace
  • The League of Delphi (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
  • Knights of Rilch (Serengard, #2)
“Unfortunately, the operation altered his genes just enough so he could temporarily change into large versions of mammals which shared a large portion of their DNA with humans. It made for some pretty impressive party tricks, but ended up having absolutely no tactical use.” 1 likes
“Jackson Wilkes died of a heart explosion yesterday. Not just an attack, a literal explosion, showing that, even in cowardice, he was always destined to be great.” 0 likes