Start by marking “On Grief and Grieving” as Want to Read:
On Grief and Grieving

On Grief and Grieving

One of the most important psychological studies of the late twentieth century, On Death and Dying grew out of Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's famous interdisciplinary seminar on death, life and transition. In this remarkable book, Dr. Kubler-Ross first explores the now-famous stages of death: denial and isolation, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Through sample in ...more
Published August 14th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Ltd

To ask other readers questions about On Grief and Grieving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Grief and Grieving

Amanda
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How to review the first book you picked up after losing your 58-year-old father suddenly and unexpectedly to a heart attack? Normally I take a very academic approach to my books reviews (or at least I try to). I can’t review this one that way. I certainly wasn’t in an academic frame of mind when I was reading it. I wasn’t anywhere near my normal frame of mind. So instead, I’ll tell you about my experience reading it.

I found out my father was dead at 7am on a Thursday. I knew my father had been t
Sean
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Finding life and death. Kubler-Ross' Five Stages of Grief of: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance have been immensely helpful to people over the years. The process provides a way to work through all those difficult emotions and discover how to hope again. If she were simply to concentrate on these five areas, that would be worth the price of the book; but she goes much further and deals with the inner world of grief (e..g. loss, regrets and fault). the outer world of grief (e.g. ...more
Iryna Paprotska
It is a good book that helps to accept grief and it helps to understand people that are grieving.
It also is a good book to help live through it. Simple and honest stories to remind that whatever is happening to you in grief should actually happen. You just need to go through it and let it heal you.
And the stories are real. And these stories can be a great escape for those who cannot go and talk to someone about their feelings. It almost feels like sharing.
Melissa Stottmann
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book truly helped me through the loss of a loved one. It helped me understand my feelings, process them and feel less alone.
Demetria
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book that I highly recommend to anyone in any stage of the grieving process. In these pages I found warm, practical, reassuring and insightful passages. I felt a range of emotions reading it and it's not possible for me to highlight every part that moved me, but I do want to share one paragraph that offers a good summary of what it means to live with grief.

"The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not 'get over' the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live wi
Sheila Carr
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is experiencing grief
An invaluable book for anyone going through the pain of losing a loved one, the authors really understand the overwhelming feelings of grief and explain the stages of the grieving process with compassion. I highly recommend it.
Joel
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is much more than a "death" book. Its a book more about what its like to lose someone, in the sense of what that feels like and how those feeling cycle. That loss might be death, might not; we lose those dearest to us in a lot of different ways and the loss needs to be grieved...a cost that gets paid at some point. That might be the real point of this book.

Probably the bests thing about the book is that it normalizes the grief that comes from loss; puts it in a context and humanizes the pr
Hannah Berg
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I know this model is considered to be outdated now—but 5 stars because Kubler-Ross writes an accessible, useful guide for lay persons, and because this is a seminal text. Others have since complicated the KR (5 stage) model, and that work is important. But those complications are only possible because KR first articulated this more simplistic model. KR’s model provided a new way of conceptualizing grief: it encouraged us to think of grieving as a diverse, multifaceted process to go through, rath ...more
Minh Hoang
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Regret and vulnerability are part of human beings, we don't try to live without them, we try to live with them." The book is not an antidote to help humans completely move through emotional pain. Instead, it provides a great insight how we gradually heal and cope with sadness (the 5 stages of grief), and how opening up to grief really helps us build up resilience along the way. Most examples in the book are about death, but I believe many other kinds of loss can make people experience true dept ...more
Janie Larned
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you have lost a loved one I highly recommended this book. I recently and very suddenly lost my mother-in-law. This book came highly recommended and has taught me “there is no correct way or time to grieve”. Take your time, there is no finish line and no judge.” This book has shed some light on one of the darkest most difficult times I have ever experienced. I’m sure I will reference it and read it again throughout the years.
Heather
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The writing style is basic and some of the examples given seem almost too perfect to fit each situation. I know it's possible, but I found myself, as a survivor of suicide, being skeptical that it all fits so neatly.

Regardless, there were some very good insights and I was able to identify some very specific responses to my husband's death as I can reflect a little easier eight years later.
Cez Prieto
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books-read
It is comforting to read "On Grief and Grieving" because of the authors' vast experiences about the topic of grief. I also continue to grieve and I find reassurance from this book that there is nothing wrong about it.
Sweet Alia
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It explains the five stages of grieving with examples of different cases .. helpful to understand your emotions but it does not give you a relief of sorrow
Abbey
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Perhaps this book is such a classic that the advice in the book is second nature. I didn't find anything I haven't heard before.
Susana Filipe
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A aceitação da morte, a forma como vivemos o nosso luto...
Porque a morte faz parte da vida!
Jean
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting concepts
Marcy Jynx
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Really needed this. It helped a lot.
Sharon Hughson
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's rough to read through this when in the throes of grief. Which is why it took me two years. Because I put it down for months, spilled water on it, hid it somewhere and forgot where and got caught up in reading more "inspirational" titles before bed.
It's a classic for a reason. A must-read if you want to better understand the way humans mourn a loss. I will be quoting from this tome by these famous psychologists in the memoir on the topic of surviving grief that I'm writing.
Paul
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-work
I enjoyed reading this book but at times it seemed disjointed. There are many anecdotes about people who faced loss but I wish there was more specific information about how they experienced the grieving process. There also isn't much information about how those without religious beliefs or belief in an afterlife grieve.
Kristi
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Did not help me at all. Made it worse.
Rui Ma
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This book helped me make sense of my loss and grief.I found comfort and a way onwards with my life. Thanks.
Mie
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kubuler Ross is a profound lady to accept us by saying it is ok to feel sad and also she says how we feel grief is individual. I wish I could have found the book sooner when my dad passed away.
Karen