Start by marking “Lorali” as Want to Read:
Lorali

Lorali

(Lorali #1)

Colourful, raw, brave, rich and fantastical - this mermaid tale is not for the faint-hearted.

Looking after a naked girl he found washed up under Hastings pier isn't exactly how Rory had imagined spending his sixteenth birthday. But more surprising than finding her in the first place is discovering where she has come from.

Lorali is running not just from the sea, not just fr
Published July 2nd 2015 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Lorali, please sign up.
Nemo (The Moonlight Library) Lorelei is actually a very traditional name for a mermaid. There's a famous poem called Die Lorelei which depicts a mermaid on a cliff combing her hai…moreLorelei is actually a very traditional name for a mermaid. There's a famous poem called Die Lorelei which depicts a mermaid on a cliff combing her hair and drawing sailors to their doom. It was written by Heinrich Heine in 1824.(less)
Half Wild by Sally GreenThe Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda SalisburyThe Art of Being Normal by Lisa  WilliamsonThe Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick NessFinding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella
UKYA in 2015
147 books — 284 voters
Sirena by Donna Jo NapoliIngo by Helen DunmoreHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
Sea Creatures
636 books — 946 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Lorali
Stacey (prettybooks)
I love being surprised. I wouldn't normally be drawn to a mermaid book and I'm not sure that I've ever read one before, but I picked up Lorali because:

1) After reading Hi So Much, I trusted Laura Dockrill to create amazing contemporary characters
2) It's so shiny! And pretty! And BLUE!
3) It was my book club's pick for August

I started reading, not knowing what to expect, and then, a few hours later, I had finished.

Lorali begins with the arrival of a naked mermaid on Hastings pier, discovered by Ro
Maddie
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, this was the best mermaid book ever! I loved the different perspectives and the descriptive writing style was just so beautiful! All the characters were really quirky and developed for such a short book, this is definitely worth a read!
Emily Mead
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
UGH, why do I never have any luck with mermaid books? This was confusing, I didn't really care about the characters and I skimmed a lot of it.

But you'll hear more of that tomorrow when I review it.

____________________________________

Ever since reading Ingo by Helen Dunmore when I was a wee lass, I’ve been hunting for an incredible mermaid book.

These books are AMAZING. They’re kind of dark and powerful and the underwater world is described so amazingly, and the world-building is phenomenal, and
Cat (cat-thecatlady)
this book is genius. I want to live inside Dockrill's mind because damn that place must be amazing! I'm really disappointed with the ending. otherwise, this would be a 5 star book, no doubt about it.
full review here: https://catshelf.wordpress.com/2015/0...
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
I've never read a mermaid book before and I honestly wasn't sure if this book would be for me but to my surprise I ended up LOVING it. Being inside Laura Dockrill's imagination is a wonderful thing. I now want to read everything she writes!
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
I haven't had much luck with Mermaid themed young adult reads, they tend to be underwhelming and not the magical, whimsical storylines most readers are probably expecting. Not only does Lorali break that mould, but it's a much darker storyline than I'd imagined. Told from three points of view, Rory, Lorali and The Sea, it tells the story of Princess Lorali who has surfaced among humans and those who are on the hunt to capture her.

It was deliciously bizarre
Amy | shoutame
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I've never read a mermaid book before but am totally glad that I picked this one up first! If you have any recommendations for me for future mermaid reads then please feel free to leave a comment :)

- So this novel follows the story of a young mermaid princess named Lorali. At the beginning of the novel Lorali is found by a young lad named Rory who is walking along the beach and to his great surprise comes across a completely naked girl (Lorali). Confused and panicky Rory decides to take Lorali h
Kirsty
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I knew this book would be special because it is written by Laura. Laura is one of those brilliantly unique human beings who shine without trying because they are just being themselves.

This book is absolutely bonkers. Quite literally like nothing you've ever read before. Just brilliant.

You will read it and want to be a mermaid. Or a pirate. Or both. The world that Laura writes just begs to be read about and I found myself completely drawn in and unable to put the book down and finished it in one
Lia Angelidou
You can take a look at my blog Bookland@wordpress
Check out my twitter BookLand@twitter
Also you can like my fb page Bookland@facebook

Arc kindly provided by the publisher, via netGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Lorali is a cute, lovely book filled with beautiful, thrilling mermaids and pirates and adventure.

Writing Style

Laura Dockrill did a great job expressing every character’s feelings and made it possible to relate. It’s important to know what’s inside the mind of the heroes in order t
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)
I found the ending to this novel incredibly poetic, if rather sad, but felt that it just didn't live up to the hype surrounding it.

Full review to come!
Frannie Pan
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: z-2015

The moment I saw this book's cover and heard it was a mermaid story, my mind instinctively went to the TV show H2O and how much I had loved it and was missing it. Then, the cherry on top: three PoVs, among which there was the sea's point of view. Say no more, Lorali, you had to be mine.

But oh, Lorali, why did you have to ruin everything? Why did you had to go ahead and crash all my expectations?

The story was, in one word, boring. In two words, boring and annoying. I actually thought about DNF th
Rachel Gunter
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating - 3.5 stars.

I received a copy of Lorali from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Lorali by Laura Dockrill is a YA book about a young mermaid Princess who becomes a human and washes up on a beach in England. I thought it was a unique book, different from most of the other mermaid books I've read.

The two main characters, Lorali and Rory, were both likeable. Lorali was sweet and unintentionally funny a lot of the time. The way she was excited about her feet, and cake, and all the n
Amanda
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
A solid three stars. I wanted more from the mermaid lore. How to they smoke and drink cocktails under water? The poetic language was a bit heavy handed. I didn't believe the romance and thought the ending was rushed and subversive just for the sake of being so rather than because the narrative called for it. If you're looking for a dark, modern twist on a mermaid tale with pirates and death and social media, then this is the book for you!
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
(3.5)Wasn't what I was expecting (in a good way) and quite eccentric (also in a good way).
Marta
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS.BOOK.OMG.

i can't even bye
Rachael
Not my kind of book at all... mermaids... pirates. But yet I'm sat here having just finished it, with tears in my eyes, thinking I have to give this book five stars! There was action, adventure, a whole new world to explore, with it's own politics and rules on life, and wonderful characters.

It was so beautifully written as well. The three narrators, Lorali, Rory and The Sea, had such distinctive voices, especially The Sea's voice, you could almost hear the waves against the shore wrapped around
Casey Ann Books
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LORALIMermaids, love, action and hilarious moments.

I haven't read a good mermaid YA in a very long time. There hasn't been one that has captured my imagination until now. After reading it I want to be a mermaid. Better yet I want to be a pirate! I want to sail the seals with mermaid Royalty. I want to brandish a sword and fight my enemies. This book has brought to life a creature that wasn't so prevalent in YA to the full front of greatness.

This book had some really funny moments... From merma
Bee
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wasn't too sure what to expect from this book as I have never read any Mermaid tales before. The blurb on my proof copy didn't reveal very much either, and honestly, didn't excite me very much. I only read this as the author was coming for a signing in store, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Turns out, I shouldn't have bothered anyway as it was deeply underwhelming.

This book had so much potential to be this beautiful, magical, fantastical YA story, but instead I was utterly bored.

It had me
rubywednesday
This was an odd little book. There were lots of good points but in terms of tone it didn't quite hit the mark. It vacillated between fluffy book for the very young to gritty book for people who like dark shit and, as a result, didn't really succeed in either mark.

I appreciated
-the weirdness. seriously. it was weird and surreal.
-the use of modern British slang and speech patterns and realistic young person behaviour
-the internet stuff
-the sheer wonder of Opal
-the boy makeover scene
-the mermaid cr
Nicole
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-reading, netgalley
LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED.

Seriously, I just can't get over how brilliantly inventive and hilarious Laura Dockrill is. So much fun, and such vivid imagery. This book is a riot of colour and feels and the most excellent choice of words. I'm pretty jealous to be honest!

A crash-bang-wallop of vivid storytelling and fun!!!
Acacia Ives
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016, fantasy
Solid 3.5 sadly I did not feel inclined to continually update my Goodreads especially with it being a Readathon I was very slow on the updates. I enjoyed it I thought it was something different and fun I can't say it's something that's not a favorite but it will remain on my shelf I think it will be something to reread another time and see if it changes
TheBookAddictedGirl
4½ Out of 5
“You can't go back. You know you can't…”
Rory is just eating chips on the beach in Hastings, chilling on his birthday, when a storm appears from nowhere, sending him running for cover. Under the pier, he finds a girl. She's naked, new and different. He becomes her protector, but he doesn't know what he's let himself in for.
Because the girl is called Lorali and she isn't just a girl. She used to be a mermaid – but she has run away from everything.
And now the Mer are terrified – the Quee
Mikayla Gray
All Rory had planned for his 16th birthday was a underage drink with his friends in the dead end seaside town of Hastings. Until he finds a strange, naked girl on the beach. Her name is Lorali. Followed by fierce storms and a group of mysterious figures who look like they’ve stepped out of the 18th century, Rory is drawn to the strange creature, determined to protect her. But who is Lorali? Where has she come from? And why is she running?

I have to confess to having a bit of an obsession with mer
Angel - Angel Reads
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review Originally Posted on Angel Reads
I received Lorali by Laura Dockrill from The Five Mile Press (Hot Key Books) in exchanged for an honest review. This has in no way influenced my thoughts on the book.
As soon as I read the synopsis for Lorali, I knew I needed it in my hands so I could read it. Firstly the cover is stunning, not only does it look beautiful. but it feels so cool. The front has scales like fish do, or like a mermaid’s tale and you can feel them.
Lorali jumps through 3 points o
Brit McCarthy
Mermaids is not really a subject I’m familiar with, other than, of course, Disney’s The Little Mermaid. And it seemed to me this was a take on the original Hans Christian Anderson story, and I wonder why we keep going back to those basic elements instead of trying to create something new. Lorali is a mermaid who longs for something else and, as you would expect from what you know about mermaid stories, she swaps her tail for legs and heads up to dry land. Only when she gets there, she can’t reme ...more
Rosy
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review was written for The Review Diaries
You can read the full review here

Huge thanks to Hot Key Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

I’m not usually a fan of mermaid books, so I was dubious picking this one up, but knowing that Laura had written it made me curious regardless of the content. I’ve loved Laura’s books in the past –the prose is so incredible and vibrant – and I think that Lorali may actually be my favourite novel of hers yet.

This book is like nothing I’v
Maia Moore
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original review posted here

I found the dual narrative of this book really interesting. Sometimes the switches confused me, but I think this was due to the format of the NetGalley copy more than anything else. In the beginning, I enjoyed Rory's narrative the most, and I kept looking forward to his parts. The narrative from the Sea's point of view offered a really different take on things, but sometimes, particularly near the beginning, I wasn't too interested in what was going on, and wanted to g
Lulufrances
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I did something to up my level of coolness whilst reading this.
Are you ready to hear about it?
Ok.
So.
I read a book about mermaids actually whilst being under water myself. YES.
I'M A MERMAID TOO, AGHH - PEOPLE!!!
Aw well, okay, to be honest, I am not a mermaid, but I nevertheless read this under water, namely in the Euro Tunnel crossing over from France to England.
I thought it was flippin fantastic.

As was this book (uhh, smooth transitioning).
It oozes with british eccentricity and whimsical, poeti
Lisa Mckenzie
Dec 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
So, Lorali...

I think I will start out by saying that I really wanted to love this book, I mean mermaids? Yes please! But when I opened it up, the first few pages were just drivel. I could not stand the 'writing style' or however you would like to describe it. I felt as though I was reading a rough draft.

It may seem like a very silly thing to be bothered by, but I felt like I was being taken out of the story by all stopping and starting. Some of you readers might not have any problems with it, b
Lady Bookhunter
Jul 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: Lady B uses lots of naughty language. If you're the type to get your panties in a wad over cussing, then don't read my reviews. If you're a fanboy/fangirl of a book that Lady B has given one star to, don't come and troll my review space. Not interested.

I love mermaids, always have, and I’m always on the lookout for a good mermaid book. But one reason I’m always on the lookout is because I haven’t found a good one yet. And after reading Lorali? Still looking.

Sorry, but I had to DNF t

• Only Ever Yours
  • The Mirror World of Melody Black
  • The Two of Us
  • Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between
  • The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie (Ashbury/Brookfield, #3)
  • The End of Time
  • The Empathy Problem
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • Skin Deep
  • Summer at Buttercup Beach (Hope Island #2)
  • Charisma
  • The Other Mrs Walker
  • Dear Vincent
  • Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)

Lorali (2 books)