Start by marking “After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)” as Want to Read:
After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)

After the Fire

(Maeve Kerrigan #6)

Arson, accident or murder?

After a fire rips through a North London tower block, two bodies are found locked in an 11th floor flat. But is the third victim that ensures the presence of detective Maeve Kerrigan and the murder squad. It appears that controversial MP Geoff Armstrong, trapped by the fire, chose to jump to his death rather than wait for rescue. But what was such
Published November 19th 2015 by Ebury Press (Fiction) (first published June 18th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about After the Fire, please sign up.
1sandijay1 Peter James - Roy Grace series. Excellent police procedurals set in Brighton UK.…morePeter James - Roy Grace series. Excellent police procedurals set in Brighton UK. (less)
YC
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)
Liz Barnsley
Reread Complete 1/3. Below is original review from first time round.

I am absolutely in love with this series. Completely hook line and sinker. They really do just keep getting better and bettter. Also they have Derwent. Which basically makes them better STILL. If that’s possible.

Anyway before I go off on a Derwent love tangent, After the Fire is the 6th book in the Maeve Kerrigan series, but can easily be read on its own merits – in this instalment Maeve is attempting to deal with a problem
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I have just loved every book I have read in the Maeve Kerrigan series, you just cannot go wrong with it. After the Fire did not let me down and was a really fantastic read with a lot of brilliant elements that made it shine.

Jane Casey knows how to make her characters come to life, as if they are standing right there next to you. I love Maeve Kerrigan, so much light and shade there, a really fascinating character. I adore the way she goes after a case like a dog with a bone, not giving up until
Emma
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

I am converted and these are now on the must-read list. I finished this instalment in one day, gripped by the pacing and plot line. It was only recently that I read The Burning, which was an excellent start to a detective series. This was mainly due to Jane Casey's skill with her characters, something which has improved to mastery in book 6.

I am fascinated by the people in her books, from the main protagonists Maeve and Derwent, to the other police, side characters, and the dead. Each
Christine
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hurrah! The latest Maeve Kerrigan. We are so lucky that the wait is finally over. Anyone who hasn’t found this series yet, you simply must READ THEM ALL. I have missed Derwent so much, and Maeve!!! But mostly Derwent! I love Derwent.

The action takes us to Murchison House on the Maudling council estate, a grotty high rise in a dodgy run down area of the city. A fire starts in the tower block destroying multiple lives and homes. Geoff Armstrong, local Member of Parliament and controversial Nigel
Gary
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Net Galley and Random House for giving me a copy of 'After the Fire' by Jane Casey in exchange for a honest review. Loved the book and was certainly impressed with the author but thought the title and cover design did it no favours. I asked for a copy due to the very good feedback I received from other Goodread friends or otherwise I don't think I would have been drawn to it.
This is the 6th book in the series and the fact that I hadn't read the previous five didn't detract from my
Marie
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Josh Derwent. That is all.
Julie
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After the Fire by Jane Casey is a 2015 Minotaur publication

Once more Jane Casey creates a moody, turbulent, atmospheric crime story disguised as a standard police procedural. This series gets better with each installment and as far as modern British mysteries go, it has become one of my very favorites.
While it is not absolutely necessary to read the series in order, I still suggest you read the book immediately preceding this one in order to understand the relationships between the main cast of
Deanna
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Casey has earned her place in the small top tier of my most admired and loved crime novelists. Each book in this series showcases her growing skill and unmissable talent.

This one once again surpassed the earlier books in stakes raised at all levels, deepening complexity of relationships and character, a signature curve of interest and tension from serious but leisurely to inexorable and startling. And boy can she stick an ending.

I have one more novel left in the series to catch up with what’s
Leah
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2015
Maeve goes maverick...

A fire in a block of flats leaves three people dead and one little girl terribly injured. The fire inspectors suspect it may have been arson and, when it turns out that one of the victims was a much-hated politician who had no known reason to be in the building, it looks as though murder may have been the aim. But as Maeve Kerrigan and the team begin to investigate, they discover that many of the residents have secrets, and that there is more than one possible motive for
Cleopatra  Pullen
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another superb outing for Maeve Kerrigan in this, the sixth in the series. Although it isn’t necessary to have read the previous five books, in my opinion, you are missing out if you don’t read this series in order.

So what happens? Well there is a fire, always good when the title links to the content, at Murchison House on the Maudling Estate, the scene of the action in book five, The Kill. The fire took hold of the tenth and eleventh floors of the tower block and one of the fatalities is MP
Renee (itsbooktalk)
You can find all my reviews at www.itsbooktalk.com

Jane Casey manages to out do herself with each book because the concept for the mystery in this one was brilliant! Picture a high rise, run down apartment complex filled with people harboring many secrets. When a fire breaks out and several of these people are killed or injured, the question soon becomes whether this was a case of arson? Not only is the list of possible arson suspects long, but since there were several people killed and injured,
Kate
What a wonderful book! My favourite police procedural of the year so far, not least because of Kerrigan and Derwent. I hadn't read the others and this didn't matter a jot.

Barbara
I have liked other books in this series more than the latest. The multiple storylines didn't really engage me. Maeve Kerrigan works for the Met in London. Her parents are Irish, mother from Mayo, but in this novel it only comes up once. She is recovering from a trauma of some kind, which isn't specified, and also living alone after her boyfriend has moved out and disappeared on her.

The storyline revolves around a fire in a London housing estate in one of the high rises. A Conservative member of
Ruth Fabiano
Sep 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
And I say au revoir to Maeve and her odd collection of colleagues, all of whom seem to desire her and be hot. It started in the last book, where she began to veer strangely off course into co-dependency on both Derwint AND Rob has only gotten worse in this book. Derwint isnt a desirable "bad-boy" in my opinion, hes a bully. He likes to make people feel stupid and that he begrudgingly needs them- for sex or help at work or both. He was 100% correct about Rob though.

My biggest problem with this
Bookread2day
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book that I have read by Jane Casey. As a fire rips through Murchison House block of flats on Maudling Estate in North London, the questions the police want to know was could this have been an accident or was it arson? The fire seemed to of have started on the 10th floor. Two bodies are found in an 11th floor flat. I highly recommend reading After the Fire.

This is a lively, gritty thriller. Every scene is well timed. The characters are quickly, expertly drawn. Readers will be
Jen
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
As compelling as her previous novels, I was unable to put After the Fire down and finished it the day I started it. It is easy to get caught up in Casey's plots and characters.

Maeve Kerrigan and Josh Derwent (somewhat to their surprise) are once again partnered by their superior officer and sent to the scene of a fire in which one of the bodies may have political repercussions.

There were three fatalities in the fire that ravaged the 11th floor of a London tower block, but more secrets are
Jill's Book Cafe
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Welcome back Maeve Kerrigan and team. I have really enjoyed this series so far and there is always a fear that at some stage diappointment will set in. I'm pleased to say that with this one it doesn't. For those who haven't read previous titles in the series, this can be read as stand alone. It does feature the Maudling Estate and some previous characters and in particular brings one running strand to closure, so be aware if you like to read things in order.

The plot this time revolves around a
Hallie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This was SO GOOD. I love Maeve, and while I hate the way so many things are going in her life, this was still SO GOOD. (view spoiler) ...more
Beth
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This quiet little series has been excellent from the first, and I don't know why Casey hasn't achieved the same level of fame some other writers of the genre have. This latest was very, very VERY good--for the usual reasons that make a novel a joy to read (tight plotting, well-planted clues, small but significant reveals, brilliant characterization, great, unexpected twists) and some other reasons as well. We get into the character of Derwent (Maeve's smart-mouth, swaggering, chauvinistic yet ...more
Lynn
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the Maeve Kerrigan series. The characters are well drawn and it is a series that the reader wants to keep up with their lives. The book returns to the Maudling Estate housing project where a deadly fire consumes several floors of the Murchison House. There are several mysteries within this fire. Why was a well known politician at the house? Who were the two women that were locked in their room? Was the fire purposely set or started by something substandard in the housing? Add to ...more
Jane
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of British police procedurals and aren't already reading Jane Casey, you need to start. She is one of the best writing today. Consistently strong writing, interesting characters, believable plots, plus all that great police terminology.

Maeve Kerrigan is an Irish woman cop in London. She catches a lot of grief for being Irish and for being a woman. Most of the time her partner is Josh Derwent, a male chauvinist pig with layers who frequently surprises both Maeve and the reader.
Tanya Brough
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing

What happens after a fire? You are left with ash and debris.
But when a tower block in North London goes up in flames, the body of an MP is also found.
This leads to Maeve Kerrigan and her team being called in for help.
What was the MP doing there?
As Maeve combs through the ash, more and more secrets are revealed from the buidling.
After the Fire is a gripping, unrelenting story.
Jane Casey knows how to structure a story that the reader doesn't know what to expect next, but also that the reader can't
Manda Collins
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british-mystery
Every time I close a book in this series I'm desperate for the next one. Since I'm a romance writer I'm of course really curious about how Maeve's love life will reconcile itself. I thought maybe Derwent was going to be the one, but I suspect Casey either does want to go there OR she's going to tease it out for a few books more. Either way I want more! And oh yeah, the mystery was top notch as usual and kept me guessing. Totally didn't guess the ending(s).
Keenan Powell
This series just gets better and better. The story is a page-turner, or if you're an audiophile like me, you'll look for excuses to clean the house or exercise so you can find out what happens next. Maeve has her challenges. Derwint's character evolves. If you're a writer, you'll appreciate how neatly the plot elements dovetail into each other. Beautifully crafted and artfully read.
Book Addict Shaun
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2015
Sometimes it takes just a couple of paragraphs to know you are going to enjoy a book, and that was the case for me with After the Fire. I only read my first Jane Casey book last year, but immediately added her others to my TBR, and I will get to them soon! In After the Fire Maeve Kerrigan faces one of her toughest cases yet, some major developments in her personal life and in her relationship with Josh Derwent, professionally and personally.

Jane Casey writes in a way that puts you right at the
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Ready for more!
My View:
Fast paced, full of action, social commentary and intrigue with a powerful yet sad ending, this book left me wanting more!

The various characters that live in The Towers come alive in this book and I could not help associating these elements /characters with the TV series, The Bill. There was something about the grim, bleak, lonely, life defeated attitudes teamed with the criminal elements in this setting that just screamed life on the “Estates” of The Bill, and this is
Rob Kitchin
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
After the Fire is the sixth book in the Maeve Kerrigan series set in London. Kerrigan is a head strong detective in the Met police determined to make her mark and negotiate the internal politics and personal rivalries of the system. In this outing she is part of a large team investigating a fire in a North London tower block that leaves three people dead, including an infamous MP, and a handful of other residents in hospital. The strength of the story is the main plotline and the procedural ...more
Steve
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Our review originally posted at http://www.literaryweek.com

The latest in the Maeve Kerrigan series – After the Fire is another strong outing for author Jane Casey. The book is set around a murder investigation in London, but the plot also integrates elements from previous books in the series, so we would recommend you read the first five books before you start reading this one. The plot unravels at a steady pace, offering enough twists and turns along the way to keep you guessing. The plot
Tucker
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can’t get enough of the Maeve Kerrigan novels. Once again Maeve is working with DI Josh Derwent, an abrasive, insensitive, but very smart detective. The relationship between Maeve and Derwent continues to develop, making me anxious for the next book to see where it will ultimately lead. The other characters are just as well developed as Maeve and Derwent - they’re all very believable and an important part of the story. In addition to these great characters, it’s a cracking good police ...more
Jane Russo
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pulled me in from the start.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Six Wicked Reasons
  • A Dark and Twisted Tide (Lacey Flint #4)
  • Dead Scared (Lacey Flint, #2)
  • Blood Tide (Paula Maguire, #5)
  • Like This, For Ever (Lacey Flint, #3)
  • Overkill (DCI Matilda Darke Thriller, Book 5)
  • The Killing House (Paula Maguire, #6)
  • A Savage Hunger (Paula Maguire, #4)
  • Little Boy Lost (DCI Anna Tate, #3)
  • The Dead Ground (Paula McGuire, #2)
  • The Silent Dead (Paula Maguire, #3)
  • Now You See Me (Lacey Flint, #1)
  • No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome, #2)
  • Between Two Evils
  • Never Look Back (DI Mike Lockyer, #1)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • Cold Bones (DS Aector McAvoy #8)
  • Beneath the Surface (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #2)
She studied English at Jesus College, Oxford, followed by an mPhil in Anglo-Irish Literature at Trinity College, Dublin

Maeve Kerrigan (9 books)
  • The Burning (Maeve Kerrigan, #1)
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • The Last Girl (Maeve Kerrigan, #3)
  • The Stranger You Know (Maeve Kerrigan, #4)
  • The Kill (Maeve Kerrigan, #5)
  • Let the Dead Speak (Maeve Kerrigan, #7)
  • Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
  • The Cutting Place (Maeve Kerrigan #9)
“There weren't many people who could make you feel as if you'd launched yourself down a set of rapids just by saying hello.” 0 likes