Start by marking “Heart of Ice” as Want to Read:

Heart of Ice

Will their passion for each other be a blessing, or fulfill an ancient curse and destroy them?

Lucinda Stafford is uniquely unqualified to serve as governess for the children of a handsome inventor. But, she’s determined to prove to her family she’s not a fragile, pampered heiress who can’t take care of herself. She didn’t plan to be attracted to the man who makes her furi
Published February 9th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Ice

Trisha
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
"I wanted to bathe in the spectrum and feel a rainbow on my skin."

I think this was a very good book but possibly marketed to the wrong group. I grabbed this one because it showed as YA. It tends to be the types of books I read because the sexual stuff and adult drama tends to be lower key in them.

This one, not really. It's a book about adults. And they are adults that behave like adults. That's not a bad thing, it just meant that I was surprised by it.

I did like the story line - the governess a
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)

This was an enjoyable read.

I enjoyed the setting, the writing and the characters, I especially enjoyed the interactions and relationship between Lucinda and the children, Mari and Niels.

Even though these paranormal aspects were somewhat alluded to earlier on in the story and in the synopsis, somehow the addition of them at the end felt a bit like this had just been tacked on for a bit more drama in the story. I feel like this aspect of the storyline could have been developed a little fu
Tania
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
-ARC kindly offered by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review-

Romance between master and servant, steampunk elements, a pinch of suspense, this novel had the need to make me fall in love. But unfortunately I was not completely satisfied. The story took place in a rather rushed and, personally, I would have preferred that the Stone had deepened more scenes. These are the reasons cons that led me to lower the voting to the book, let's move to the pros.

I was touched the bond that is created bet
Emma
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: r4r-and-arc
I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book had a nice premise, they characters were clever and very well defined, but this curse that is described in the blurb barely shows up and you never truly find out exactly what it is. There's little hints but not enough. This is in all essence a romance novel trying to pretend to be a Gothic thriller. It didn't have me fooled for very long. So if you wanting the folk lore and thriller-ness this book promis
Pctrainer98
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is written by one of our staff! I enjoyed this book. It takes place in Iceland and has some twists and turns I did not expect in a romance. Not a long book, I encourage you to read it and support a local author.
Marsha Spohn
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
First reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

It’s hard to put Heart of Ice into a specific genre. It is definitely Historical Romance with a touch of Gothic and definitely a touch of Steampunk and perhaps just a smidge of ghostly Paranormal. You see? It’s difficult to pin down exactly which genre it belongs in… but in spite of that – the story itself was a delightful romantic gothic tale with a bit of airships and some howling ghosts. In effect, a bit of a lot and unique to itself.

Lucinda is a wealthy heir
Maureen Lubitz
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on You Must Have Your Hands Full

I received this book from Netgalley/the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I was not familiar with Sibelle Stone, but when I had the opportunity to read her novel Heart of Ice, I was intrigued by the premise and the combination of several genres. The story is set in 1910- in Iceland, which is rather unique. Lucinda Stafford is a young woman who is not ready to return to her home in New York. She applies for the position of governess. She
Kat W
Unfortunately, this copy was filled with questionable typos, grammatical errors, syntax errors, and an oddly wavering, redundant voice. I hope the officially published version had more intensive editing done to it. The language errors aside, the story is the classic governess and dark, brooding, and handsome employer template. Yep, Jane Eyre. Despite a great template, the entire book is far too unpolished as a story and with the many writing errors. Though steampunk is advertised as a category, ...more
Ane Margaux
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this free of charge through Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

description

Lucinda Stafford, a young woman of wealth and note, has taken a position of governess of two small children. Something she is severely under-qualified to do. Grayson Thorne, widower and master of Thornehus, needs a new governess to nurture his lovable but unruly children. What neither of them expected was to develop an extreme attraction to one another. As their attraction grows, the pasts and secrets of the hous
Vibha Hegde
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book long back by netgalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

Well my first impression was: "Why the hell hadn't I read this book soon?!"
This book is the not so traditional tale of the know-it-all powerful guy[Grayson Thorne] who is need of a governess to discipline his two notorious children with a reputation of sending off governesses is well known. He cannot remain distracted as he is approaching his deadline to create a way to convert geothermal energy into electricity. The
June
I received this free from Net Galley in exchange for a honest review.

First off, I really liked this cover. And it captures the atmosphere of the book well. The beauty and mystery of the Aurora Borealis with the daring female- Lucinda Stafford. And this book is all about her - and that is a plus in my view.

I really enjoyed getting to know Lucinda Stafford. She was smart (educated at top American university for women in early 1900s), sassy, brave to meet any challenge with aplomb and believable.
April
HEART OF ICE by Sibelle Stone is a unique Victorian Gothic Historical romance with a variety of other genres included. Such as Steampunk, Paranormal, and Supernatural elements.

Meet, Lucinda Stafford, a a strong, determined, independent, Governess, in need of a job and Grayson Throne,a revolutionary inventor, geothermal (he is trying to use steam to make electricity) and he is in need of a Governess for his two young children, Mair and Niels.
While, Grayson is trying to improve his Geothermal Plan
Loretta
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Heart of Ice is a historical romance set in the island of Iceland. Lucinda Stafford is a strong woman out to find independence from her ambitious stepmother.Grayson Throne is an intellectual gentleman on the verge of a revolutionary invention to turn steam energy into electricity. Thorne is in need of a governess to his two children, Mair and Niels, in order ensure their education and to focus on his invention. Thorne gets more than her bargined for when the beautiful Lucind Stafford turns up fo ...more
Shay
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
The cover of this caught my eye, then I read the synopsis and thought it would be an interesting read. I have to say it is much better than I expected. I was drawn into the story from the very beginning. I don't like when books take too long to get good, I want to be hooked from the start. The first conversation was with Grayson Throne and his housekeeper Mrs. Jensson. I loved Mrs. Jensson right away she was lovely. I had expected Lucinda to have a hard time controlling these hellion children bu ...more
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All historical romance lovers above the age of eighteen
Heart of Ice by Sibelle Stone attracted me because of the title and the cover. The blurb is also pretty interesting.

This is a different kind of story and I enjoyed the settings of the story. It has an overall mysterious, dark. gothic feel to it. The characters are well developed and I enjoyed following the chemistry of the protagonists and had fun watching them stumble on their path to love.

The writing style is vivid and created a mental picture in my mind. I loved how the author brought the boo
Rachel
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-reads
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for a review.

Overall this was a pleasant read about a sweet love story between a man and a governess. The plot, while mostly predictable, was well developed and engaging to read. The characters were likable and believable. I think my only complaint and the reason it did not receive another star is that the story is going along in real life like setting and then bam out of nowhere are ghosts/spirits that have a huge impact on the plot. Sure, these
Fort Fairfield Public Library
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love steampunk images and was very excited to try this book with it's steampunk background and it did not disappoint. The characters were very personable and connected well with each other. Dialogue between them was very easy and natural. The setting of Iceland was very unique, but enjoyable. The whole book made me want to look for more Victorian steampunk reads. The plot was good, and even if it was a bit predictable at spots, it did not detract from the overall story. The book was given free ...more
Vanessa
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I Absolutely loved it!

What a delightful historical romance with a bit of a paranormal element! Set in Iceland in the early 20th century and incorporating some Islandic myths Or folklore makes this story more interesting than the usual historical romance.

Lucinda, a wealthy heiress masquerades as a governess. She Is a very loveable protagonist. She is caring, adventurous and independant. I loved her interactions with the children. And with their father Grayson.

I recommend this to all historical ro
Nocturnal  Bookworm
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful Gothic Historical Romance and I truly enjoyed it. There's an independent heiress turned governess, a handsome widdower inventor, two rambunctious children in need of a guiding hand and a wonderful and loveable staff. There is a wonderful storyline, a well developed plot and a hint of the supernatural. I look forward to reading more from this author.

This book is suitable for adult readers only!
cinda draper
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

I loved the emotions of these people. Truly written well and very captivating. The children were the icing on the cake in making it a very believable story. The twist with alteration, ghost was very unexpected.
Glad I read this one and hope to read more of this author's books
Heather andrews
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Our girl has no qualms about stating her thoughts, “I’m not objecting to the kissing, or most of the—other part.” She straightened her bodice and brushed at her sleeves. “I think perhaps we’re proceeding a bit too quickly.” This was a good book, I liked Grayson he and his children were entertaining.
Melissa
Mar 02, 2016 marked it as never-finished
Shelves: do-not-recommend
This started out really well and I enjoyed the Jane Eyre like atmosphere. However, the book quickly became sexually suggestive. This book is supposed to be a YA novel, but it read more like an adult romance novel. Decided not to finish it.
Cait
Jul 20, 2016 marked it as didn-t-finish
didn't realize the book was explicit. won't give a rating, though, because otherwise it was intriguing. Or would have been, if the story had been more a focus than the romance.
was it clean? no
Pratikshya Mishra
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the relation that Lucinda shared with the children. I liked the starting of the plot, but the paranormal elements were confusing. And the ending seemed haphazardly done. I still liked it.
Simera
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Heart of Ice
I liked the relationship that Lucinda had with the children. It had some twists and turn and an enjoyable read.
Tanya Pickles