Start by marking “Squall” as Want to Read:
Squall

Read Book* *Different edition

Squall

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  7,661 Ratings  ·  632 Reviews
Bush pilot and family man Tom Stokes is about to face the worst day of his life. On a clear winter morning he sets out in his Cessna 180 to do some repairs on a remote hunt camp, leaving his five year old son and very pregnant wife snug in their beds.

Published January 5th 2015 by Red Tower (first published October 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Squall, please sign up.
Stephen Running No, but I can see why one might do. I read the book as a light and very easy to read story, raced through it in one sitting. I see it's been picked up…moreNo, but I can see why one might do. I read the book as a light and very easy to read story, raced through it in one sitting. I see it's been picked up as a film option, might be quite interesting to see how they do deal with some of the morality.(less)

BrokenTune
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Fast-paced action with little substance or humour is not my bag, but Squall also proved once again that swearing is not substitute for said substance or humour. And its not like I don't appreciate a good swear-fest.

I know that this may not need to be a funny book, but there are some scenes that are trying to be a Fargo-esque comedy, it's just that it doesn't balance right with the action elements and it makes the book feel like it is lacking direction.

On the bright side, this was a very quick r
Ric deMeulles
Don’t read any of Sean Costello’s books if you’re looking for one of those novels that sends the egghead crowd Ooo-ing and Aahh-ing. You know the type of book I’m talking about, the ones reviewers refer to as ‘multi-layered’ and ‘luminous’ or then tell you to ‘linger and savour’ the ‘quiet passages’. Damn, if it’s lingering and savouring you’re after then grab a slice of cheesecake and a nice cup of tea … but forget about Costello's novels because each one begins by laying down a long strip of r ...more
Linda
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: free
A quick, action-packed read that is far-fetched but engaging.
Amanda
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Confession time: I rarely read The synopsis of a book. I'll read just about anything. That being said, I had no idea what I was in for when I started reading this. Heroin, murder, planes. I liked it, but the entire time I was reading I had a feeling of dread when it came to possibilities of what could happen next. This book was a non stop roller coaster of events that seemed to drop once things started looking up.
Cindy Grimaldi
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Quick and Engrossing Read

After trying to read, then abandoning a couple of other tedious books recently I was happy to find this book. It immediately captured my attention without going into drawn out and extraneous character development, plot settings and scenery descriptions. It was masterfully written with enough information to allow the reader to feel as though they were there watching, then got out of the way and let the characters develop through good dialogue and action descriptions. I
Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard
Well this little thriller was just as cute as it could be. It kept me wondering what would happen next. It took a little longer than usual for me to come to like the characters, but once I got past that hurdle, it was a fun read. It really does pack a punch, there is a lot going on and more than one evil person to hate. In the beginning, I hated all of them, even the good guys 'cause they were just too good. But it all balanced out later. I'm glad I read it.
Inês Lille
Jan 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A waste of time. I really tried getting into this but the story just couldn't get my attention. Spent the whole book yawning and yearning for another book.
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, kindle-free
Briskly paced, and darkly comic, this book is a very quick read. (Took me about an hour and a half) It's also highly implausible at times, but that just added to the fun.

I will have to look into more of this author's work.
Tressa
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Squall started off strong with some interesting characters caught up in a bad situation but started fizzling out in the middle. By the end it was a kind of predictable preposterousness.
Col
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, c
Synopsis/blurb…

MAYHEM. MURDER. RETRIBUTION. (THIS BOOK is RATED-R FOR LANGUAGE by the publisher.)

Bush pilot and family man Tom Stokes is about to face the worst day of his life. On a clear winter morning, he sets out in his Cessna 180 to do some repairs on a remote hunt camp, leaving his five-year-old son and very pregnant wife snug in their beds.

On the return trip, a squall forces him into an emergency landing and he winds up—quite literally—in the lap of petty criminal Dale Knight. Dale, now a
Leore
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 5-star-reads
Really enjoyed it. Overall it was a very engaging read and the ending was incredibly funny. Would read more from this author in the future :)
Kathleen
This fast moving thriller has lots of action, tension and suspense. Parts of the story remind me of some of the "pulp-fiction" movies of the 80s.

There are "good guys" and "bad guys". I like Tom, Mandy and their young son Steve, who are the "good guys" accidentally caught in the middle of a drug deal gone wrong.

Some scenes are very graphic and I rate the language R for Restricted.

This book was a free download for me, probably from BookBub.

If you are looking for a quick thrilling read with lot
Bonnye Reed
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
GAB I received a free electronic copy of this novel from Sean Costello and Red Tower Publications in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for sharing your hard work with me!

This is a no holds barred thriller, without rest stops along the way. Rated R for language, folks, but a fast read set in deep winter in northern Canada. There are way more bad guys in hot cars and trucks than you can imagine on your own and when you add in the weather things don't look so good for the clean cut three and
Jim
Tom Stokes and his wife have a small business in Ontario, Canada. In addition to being a bush pilot Tom and his wife own several remote hunting cottages. On a wintry day he sets out to make repairs to one of the cottages leaving his pregnant wife and five year old son safe at home. On the way home he encounters a winter storm and crash lands into another lake front cabin. The sole occupant, Dale Knight, is a petty criminal who is on the run after stealing heroin and drug money from his drug lord ...more
Hollie
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I noticed this was offered as freebie and had never read any of this writers work so I decided to give it a shot. Here's my breakdown:

Pros:
* Offered as a freebie
* A good balance of suspense
* Amazing writing style - the word development and character depth was well done
* Did I mention how much I liked all of the characters? Even the secondary characters were well defined
* A complete and well balanced story - not overly romantic, or suspensul and just the right touch of humor - well executed
* Fast
Tobia
Nov 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
I stopped reading this book midway but I am pretty sure I didn't miss anything.
It was just so terribly predictable.

It started out with a gang-drug thing which isn't my kinda story setting but ok.
However there was nothing new. I have read/seen this a hundred times.
Only one thin was funny but then it was so absurd that it was just not right either...

I don't know.
Go get another book its a waste of time.
Adam Howe
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A light-aircraft pilot literally crash lands into the middle of a botched drug deal and must fight for survival to protect his family from vicious criminals.

Taut, tense, expertly plotted mainstream thriller; with crisp, clean prose that moves between punch-in-the-mug hardboiled, to surprisingly moving.
Nathan Goodman
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fast, punchy writing style you will love

A fast, punchy writing style you will love. Great action, complex story. Would like to see another professional editing pass, but so worth the investment to read.
Brian Bigelow
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn't like this book at first. Almost didn't finish it. Glad I stuck it out and continued to read.
Torbjörn  Dahl
Dec 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle, thriller
A cheap book; just a waste of time.
Pam
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Squall is a novel by Sean Costello. It is an adventure of sorts along with drug trafficking. A pilot and his family find themselves in the middle of a drug dispute and must find a way to survive.
Dale Knight and his fiancé Ronnie were on their way to meet with a buyer for his brother Ed. Ronnie was ragging on him for not being a partner with Ed by now and complaining that they lived in a hovel while his brother was in a mansion. She wanted Dale to take the drugs and head to Montreal and go out o
Cindy
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This was non-stop from the first page. It's not a thoughtful book - there's no deep examination of feelings or motivations, it's strictly action and more action. The story involves Dale, an inept bad guy, and his ambitious girlfriend Ronnie who make off with the money and drugs from a drug deal. When the drug lord comes after them, they go on the run in the wilds of Alaska. Meanwhile, there's Tom, a bush pilot who's just making a last run to repair a few cabins before going home to celebrate his ...more
Jack Getz
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
quick read

Seems like gratuitous language in the beginning of the book is used to establish how tough the characters are, but it’s more like a shortcut to good character development. Strange, but this semi-preposterous story kept me glued to the end, which was more like Sunday School than the brutal beginnings. It’s not a good novel and while it has entertaining parts and a few great lines, but I doubt I will read another of his books. Not too long, by the way. Nice weekend read.
Doug Branscombe
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, action packed. Two story lines collide, literally and violently, as a pilot in northern Canada investigates reported damage in a remote cabin. He encounters severe weather, crash lands near a lake, his plane plowing into a small cabin, on top of a bathtub where a drug runner is taking a bath. As you can imagine is gets even crazier from there, with non-stop action. A quick and fun read.
Michaela Twigg
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A cracking good read.

From the first to the last page I was gripped. The title !more than lived up to it's name. Fast paced action, good characters and no typos that I saw. The description of the plane crash was well done and I felt like I was there in the cockpit. Well recommended.
Kaj Samuelsson
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intense

This book took many unexpected turns. And you could guess what would happen but would not be even close to how it plays out.
Dixie
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I wasn't too sure starting off with the villain but I am so glad I stuck with it. A wonderful read. Great characters. Even had me laugh out loud a few times.
Jim Heskett
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Intense, believable, satisfying. A quality thriller novella with good character development and plenty of twists and turns. Well worth your time.
Connie
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Fast paced thriller, I had it on my phone so read it on a couple of long bus rides. Finished it tonight and found the ending a pleasant surprise.
CoffeeandInk
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick and clever suspense, couldn't put it down :)
  • Freedom of the Mask (Matthew Corbett, #6)
  • Standpoint (Thomas Bladen #1)
  • Antler Dust (The Allison Coil Mystery Series Book 1)
  • The Gray and Guilty Sea (Garrison Gage, #1)
  • A Perfect Grave (Jason Wade, #3)
  • Rosemary's Gravy (We Sisters Three, #1)
  • Strings
  • Repulse Monkey (The Alex Glauberman Series #2)
  • Russian Hill (Abby Kane FBI Thriller #3; Chasing Chinatown Trilogy #1)
  • Her Favorite Honeymoon (Windy City Romance #2)
  • Reckless (Shattered Sisters, #1)
  • December Park
  • Streets of Mayhem (Booker, #1)
  • Miami Requiem (Deborah Jones Crime Thriller, #1)
  • Sea to Sky (A Hunter Rayne Highway Mystery, #3)
  • I Am Sal
  • Keeping with Killers (The Salingers #1)
  • True Conviction (Adrian Hell, #1)
Sean Costello is the author of nine novels and numerous screenplays. His novel Here After has been optioned to film by David Hackl, director of Saw V. Depending on the whims of his muse, Costello's novels alternate between two distinct genres: Horror and Thriller. His horror novels have drawn comparisons to the works of Stephen King, and his thrillers to those of Elmore Leonard. In the real world ...more
More about Sean Costello

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“Cocooned in his pillowy red snowsuit, Steve came whisking down the hallway, his overstuffed school bag flopping between his shoulder blades. Though he wasn’t a big fan of school, the little guy was excited about it today. His junior kindergarten teacher always made a fuss about the kids’ birthdays, and Steve had been chattering about it all morning.” 0 likes
“gap,” 0 likes