Start by marking “The Cherry Tree Café” as Want to Read:
The Cherry Tree Café

The Cherry Tree Café

(Wynbridge)

Cupcakes, crafting and love at The Cherry Tree Cafe... Perfect feel-good summer reading for fans of Great British Bake-Off

Published July 16th 2015 by Simon Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about The Cherry Tree Café, please sign up.
Trine Lise Based on the three I've read, they can be read in any order, but main characters from previous books do pop up in each new book, so you won't be safe…moreBased on the three I've read, they can be read in any order, but main characters from previous books do pop up in each new book, so you won't be safe from spoilers. That said, a "happily ever after" is pretty much a given with these books anyway, and they don't generally rehash the plot of previous books or go into great detail on them. Basically, you get glimpses into how people's relationships are going a few years on.

Speaking for the ones I've read (the Christmas books), I wouldn't read "Snowflakes and Cinnamon Swirls" before "Sleigh Rides and Silver Bells", but only because they feature basically the same cast of characters, and you get a much better introduction to them in the latter (Anna, the main character of "Sleigh Rides and Silver Bells" is new to Wynthorpe Hall, while Hayley from "Snowflakes and Cinnamon Swirls" has been there for years and knows everyone already). (less)

Hannah Clarke (Love Books Actually)
You can find all my reviews on my blog!

So I will let you into a little secret, I have never read a Heidi Swain book before. I know what you are all thinking... what a shocker! So I decided to start from the beginning and read her debut novel 'The Cherry Tree Cafe' I LOVED it!! I mean seriously why have I never read her books before, I have been missing out on some fantastic reads!

'The Cherry Tree Cafe' is a total feel good book packed with friendship, lov
Reyes
Oct 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chicklit
Girl is dumped by asshole #1 on her birthday. Girl moves back to her little town to mend her broken heart and help her BFF on her new cupcake business. Girl runs into her high school crush, who turns out to be asshole #2. In the mean time, she also gets involved with asshole #3. And all the while every single character in the book acts like an idiot. For. The. Whole. Bloody. Book.
Just not for me :(
Rebecca
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on http://beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk/

Dear bookish folk, I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't Heidi's absolutely gorgeous cover AND title which originally drew me to her book. If you know me at all, then you'll know how much of a sucker I am when it comes to pretty covers, and the cover of The Cherry Tree Cafe ticked every-single-box for me. The bunting, the charming tables and chairs, the silhouettes of the birds and the flowers... It just screamed 'romance' and 'delectable
Lisa Whittaker
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This isn’t the first of Heidi’s books that I’ve read but it was the first one she had written and what a total delight it was! I knew I’d love this book as I’d loved the other 4 books of hers that I’ve read.

It was lovely to finally read Lizzie’s story and read about how The Cherry Tree Cafe began, especially as it features so much in her other books, along with Jemma and Tom. I couldn’t put this book down. I always feel bereft when I finish one of Heidi’s books as I never want them to end! I im
Jo
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely feel good book - first in a series I think. Will definitely be reading the rest.
Book Addict Shaun
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
3.5

It is important to me - in Women's Fiction especially - that our main character is both likeable, and somebody that you can really believe in and want to see succeed. In the opening chapter we see Lizzie Dixon assuming that her posh boyfriend is about to propose on her birthday and anniversary when in actual fact he hasn't even remembered about those two things and is actually about to break up with her, to marry his ex-fiancee. Think he sounds a $%£? You'd be right! Heidi Swain really convey
Rea Cobb
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I happened to stumble across Heidi Swain’s blog in January and I have enjoyed finding out snippets about the book, the excitement when the publication date was announced and the stunning cover revealed, I have been eagerly awaiting the chance to read The Cherry Tree Café as it has been one I have been really looking forward to.

Lizzie has had her life turned upside down, what started off as a hopeful day soon ended in one of the worse days of her life as she has been pampered and treated like a p
Simona
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I’ve been waiting to read for a while. The cover is gorgeous and having been in contact with Heidi and reading the blurb has made me really excited about it.

The story start at a really bad place for Lizzie Dixon. She expects a marriage proposal, but Giles tells her that he wants to be with his ex fiancé again. Lizzie is devastated.

She returns back home, to Wynbridge, her parents are there and also her best friend Jemma. Jemma and her husband Tom just bought the Cherry Tree Café an
Karen Mace
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, e-books
I received this via NetGalley in return for an honest and fair review.

Lured in once again by a gorgeous cover and the promise of combining two of my favourite things - cafes and sewing - and this author doesn't let me down!! One of those books that has you under its' spell almost immediately as it is written in such an easy way that the storyline flows naturally that you just want to keep reading! Which i did as I just couldnt put it down once I'd started reading.

You have immediate empathy with
Gabby
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
Constantly looking for something to match up to The Cookie Club, by Ann Pearlman which I read last year. Cute romances & a cafe with amazing baking? This should do the trick! What made me actually decide to buy this was when it was on sale for $2.99 on iBooks, so I grabbed it (in which time I was half-way through, my phone broke, the sale ended and I had to buy it full price- ugh).

The start of this was promising, I enjoyed the characters and the story and then it just- bleh.

Every single ch
Luise
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm so 'the Cherry Tree Café' is not directly a café café story, but about Lizzie starting a new sewing-related life in said café. I'm not a huge seamstress myself, but the story was still quite cute.

A little problematic was the style of writing, though. You can really notice that this is the author's debut novel. It's not that fluent and feels a lot like written-by-the-rules. There's also a slight tendency to repeating the exact same expression twice in two following sentences. I think there's
Liz
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read with a good mix of characters. Yes, it’s fairly predictable and I felt the ending was a bit rushed but still enjoyable.
Anja
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about Lizzie, who gets dumped quite badly and therefore flees from London to her home town again. There, her best friend has just bought a café with her husband and needs every help she can get. It all seems to be the perfect distraction for Lizzie, until her former high school crush enters the scene...

Well, it was nice. But sometimes, Lizzie really annoyed me. Also, I thought it would be more about the café? I mean it was, but not about the baking or anything, only about Lizzie's s
Sheerie
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book encapsulates it all, family, friends, business, love, trust, humour, twists and turns....I could go in forever. A strong believable woman with a great heart. This book is a must read any time of the year. 5 blooming great stars.
Sharon Williams
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. I did start with the Xmas ones but now determined to work through the rest of them. They are such easy reading and I love wynbridge the little town it's set in and the characters. You just want to know more and more about this lovely place and everyone that lives here.
Whispering Stories
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When Lizzie Dixon was swept off her feet, and moved to London with her sophisticated boyfriend Giles, she never thought it would lead to heartbreak.

After a day of pampering and feeling gorgeous, Lizzie thinks that Giles is about to make her a very happy woman, with a proposal. Giles however breaks Lizzie’s heart, telling her that he’s leaving her for his ex Natasha, and to add insult to injury, informs her that they are soon to be married.

With her life in tatters, she finds solace in her best fr
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm a little late to the party with this one! It seems the whole world has read this book. And huge congratulations to Heidi for storming the Kindle charts and having a steady place in the top five!

The cover of this book is striking and instantly makes you want to pick it up and delve inside. So, delve inside I did! The Cherry Tree Cafe tells the story of Lizzie Dixon who is awaiting, rather excitedly, the moment her hot-shot boyfriend Giles is going to propose to her. But, instead of proposing
Alba
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on: http://www.albainbookland.com/2015/08...

When I first read The Cherry Tree Cafe's blurb, I knew it was my kind of read. I love baking and crafting so the promise of both mixed with a bit of romance is my idea of a perfect story. And after finishing it I can tell you that I was not wrong. As soon as I stepped into The Cherry Tree Cafe I felt like home. Even if when we first read about it, it still needs a bit of work, I completely fell in love with it through Lizzie's eyes. A
Stacey
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Heidi Swain. I'll be honest, I prefer Summer at Skylark Farm, for some reason I just absolutely fell in love with that book but saying that, I still really enjoyed this one. I enjoyed the character of Lizzie and of Jemma and their friendship.

The story follows Lizzie and her breakup from nasty totally-in-love-with-himself Giles (I don't even know how to pronounce that name!), Lizzie moves away to her hometown after this and starts falling back in love with high school crush,
Sam
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading the Cherry Tree books written by Heidi Swain in the wrong order, having read her most recent one first I am now playing catch up by reading the first one.

Lizzie life hasn't run the way she was expecting, resulting in her finding herself back in the small town she grew up in. Lizzie doesn't have any major plans so helps her old school friend Gemma to decorate and set up The Cherry Tree Cafe. Lizzie has always crafted, but in recent times it had been put on the back burner. Now she has
Bev
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Melissa
Lots of crucial conversations between the characters just didn't happen, and I can't really work out why. The relationships between the characters suffered and became a bit nonsensical as a result, so overall I felt pretty disappointed. I did, however, really like the setting in a small-town cafe, and the flat over the cafe where Lizzie lived sounded idyllic.
Diana
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
First half of the book was very good & highly entertaining. The second half of the book veered wildly off course, meandered all over the place & turned our once endearing protagonist into a very unlikable character. The ending was rushed & just a tad too precious for me. I think the author really had something special going on with 50% of the book, then it just went downhill from there.
Mandy Baggot
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great debut from Heidi Swain. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and swept through it in one weekend. A heart-warming sweet treat of a read!
Jo Shaw
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am relatively new to the books written by Heidi Swain, but I can safely say that I am in the process of rectifying that, and I actually think she is now one of my favourite writers. I do not think there are many writers that can create a world and such deep characters with as much ease; Heidi makes it look completely effortless.

This is my third book of hers to read, as I have ended up reading them out of order (although they are all standalones) and is actually her debut with Simon & Schus
the_queen_of_books24
2.5 Stars.
Let me just say I had high hopes for this book. It sounded SO GOOD. But it let me down stinking. (I read 64% of it and just couldn’t force myself through any more, so I feel qualified to rate what I read.)

This book was good to begin with, then I started realising that nothing was happening and that Lizzie was a bit of an idiot. I can name one plot point that happened - when Lizzie’s trivial decision of whether to do these crafting sessions (which was STILL being dragged out when I DN
Natasha
I originally gave this book four stars because I enjoyed it reading it but now I've finished it and had a bit of a think I decided to knock a star off for several reasons.

Reason one - the ending. I felt it was massively rushed, there was no real resolution of conflict or any book romantic moment and as a result I just didn't feel that Ben and Lizzie particularly gelled together, mostly they seemed to have fancied each other at school but didn't really seem to get along that well as adults. I don
Chelsea Lowe
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book sits somewhere between 2 and 3 stars for me.

I really liked Heidi Swain's writing style and I will continue to read her work, but The Cherry Tree Café fell a bit flat for me. It started really well, then the pace dropped and I lost interest.

The story centres on Lizzie who, on her birthday, is dumped by her posh boyfriend Giles. Their relationship began when he left his fiancée at the altar and swept Lizzie off her feet. This part of the story didn't gel for me, for two reasons: 1) Lizzi
Melissa Concannon
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have had this book sitting on my shelf for the best part of year, waiting to be read. I finally got round to it and I was really looking forward to it as I had heard such good things about it, but I have to say, I am actually quite disappointed by it.
I liked how it started, the beginning of the book was really good and really well written, but the further into the book I got, the less and less important conversations and things we actually wanted to know happened. I just felt like less and le
hana
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2019, libby
A book packed with friendship, love, crafting and of course CAKES!
With gorgeous cover AND title, this book absolutely heartwarming.

Lizzie Dixon's life feels as though it's fallen apart. Instead of the marriage proposal she was hoping for from her boyfriend, she is unceremoniously dumped, and her job is about to go the same way. So, there's only one option: to go back home to the village she grew up in and to try to start again.

Her best friend Jemma is delighted Lizzie has come back home as she
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• How to Stuff Up Christmas
  • A Christmas Cracker
  • The Chocolate Lovers' Wedding
  • Ivy Lane
  • Mistletoe on 34th Street
  • Letters from Lighthouse Cottage
  • The Little Bookshop Of Promises
  • Summer at Rose Island (White Cliff Bay #3)
  • The Great Village Show
  • Snowed in for Christmas
  • Make My Wish Come True
  • The Singalong Society for Singletons
  • The Things We Do for Love
  • The Cosy Christmas Chocolate Shop
  • The Chocolate Promise
  • The Lost Wife
  • A Merry Little Christmas (Christmas, #2)
Although passionate about writing from an early age, Heidi Swain gained a degree in Literature, flirted briefly with a newspaper career, married and had two children before she finally plucked up the courage to join a creative writing class and take her literary ambitions seriously.

A lover of Galaxy bars, vintage paraphernalia and the odd bottle of fizz, she now writes contemporary fiction and enj

Wynbridge (7 books)
  • Summer at Skylark Farm
  • Mince Pies and Mistletoe at the Christmas Market
  • Coming Home to Cuckoo Cottage
  • Sleigh Rides and Silver Bells at the Christmas Fair
  • Snowflakes and Cinnamon Swirls at the Winter Wonderland: The perfect Christmas read to curl up with this winter
  • Sunshine and Sweet Peas in Nightingale Square
“wasn’t there. No matter, I smiled to myself, as I imagined him sauntering back into the bedroom with a laden breakfast tray and wearing little more than his most seductive smile. Just what, I couldn’t help wondering, had he got planned for my birthday, which coincidentally was the same day as our anniversary? Two blissful years” 0 likes