Start by marking “The small BIG: Small Changes that Spark Big Influence” as Want to Read:
The small BIG: Small Changes that Spark Big Influence

The small BIG: Small Changes that Spark Big Influence

At some point today you will have to influence or persuade someone - perhaps ask a colleague a favour, negotiate with a contractor or get your spouse to put out the recycling. In the small BIG, three heavyweights from the world of persuasion science and practice - Steve Martin, Noah Goldstein and Robert Cialdini - describe how, in today's information-overloaded world, it i ...more
Published August 28th 2014 by Profile Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The small BIG, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The small BIG

Jenny Schwartz
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction
The Small BIG: Small Changes that Spark Big Influence is a pretty good book on the topic of ethically persuading people to change their behaviour. Grounded in research and mixing discussion with examples, the book intrigued me enough that I jotted notes and my own ideas as I read. This is pretty rare these days for me, and a sign of how engaged I was.

Running quickly through my notes.

Changing people's environment can change their minds. Context is important.
Focus on similarities - shared identity
Karly
Jan 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel as though this book persuaded me to read it...touché persuasive book, touché.
Jay
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed “The Small Big” from the library on audio. That wasn’t a good idea. “The Small Big” contains over 50 suggestions for how to present something in a more persuasive manner. Each of the suggestions is written up in a short chapter, with examples and with research described that illustrates the concept. Despite being chopped up in this way, I found the book quite readable due to the engaging topics covered. Part of the engagement comes about because some of the suggestions are not what I ...more
Will Once
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Small things can have big impacts. That's the theme of this book, and it largely delivers. We get 52 shortish chapters on a different aspect of persuasion.

Like this ... people are more likely to give money to a hurricane disaster appeal if the hurricane has the same name as them. Or if the name of the hurricane begins with the same letter as their name.

And to back it up each of these little nuggets is backed up with genuine research. Scientific research. By blokes with white coats and pens in th
Kelly
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reinforcement to read after Cialdini's prior books, Influence and Yes! My notes:

* People have an affinity for their name and even their first initial. Use their names more often in outreach and when you want a response
* Focus on finding uncommon commonalities to build rapport. Instead of asking someone's favorite TV show, ask for their top 5 and find the commonalities to get to more uncommon ones.
* In BD, don't isolate your accounts to one point of contact; invite others in your firm to
Justin
Mostly rehashes other books. Seemed focused on business
A
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful book to read with applications in many aspects of life and business to make life easier by changing simply things.
Ryan Dejonghe
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished THE SMALL BIG yesterday and have already implemented one of the 52 ideas today. I have plans to use another idea later today, and I’ll still be implementing these ideas tomorrow and the next day. Here’s my advice: buy this book and keep it near your desk.

Similarly-themed books feature studies done by other scientists—which is cool—but there was a surprising amount of research conducted by the authors themselves. The intimate feel of the self-conducted research and their writing m
Khaleel
Takes the principles of the book Influence by the same author (concerned with the science of persuasion) and presents them in 'bite size' chapters that explain how small changes can lead to big changes in results because of these principles (hence the title). The book is fairly interesting to read but I think Influence captures the principles better and makes a far more poignant and in depth case for how and why these principles work.

Overall worth a read but I felt the small chapters don't reall
Susan DeMartino
I received this book free from Firstreads. I was interested in looking at this book for a look at how to change people's mindsets, but it did not really discuss that on a large scale, only how to change small things that could affect things like your productivity or the productivity of those you work with or who work for you. It was an interesting look at the psychology of changing people's minds or thoughts with small switches that can have big results. I enjoyed reading it and I think it is so ...more
Clive Freeman
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and generally very practical book: 52 short chapters, each with a specific, straightforward, and tested, suggestion for how you might influence people to get a particular outcome.
- Having problems getting people to attend their appointments for your clinic? Get them to write down the time and date on a slip themselves, or read it back to you over the phone - this improves rates over simply giving them a printed slip with the details.
- Want to improve your own likelihood of goi
Manoj Arora
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is often not big changes, but small ones, that spark big influence in our lives. If ever there were small things that you could potentially achieve you extraordinary results, you ought to read this book. This book has the potential to impact your daily life by bringing in the minimal changes and achieving remarkable outcomes...
Do you already follow some of them?
Read on..

"The Small BIG" by Steve J Martin / Noah J Goldstein and Robert B Cialdini is an awesome read. There are 52 small changes m
Jock Mcclees
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to an audio version of this book. I want to buy the book so I can highlight parts. It had a lot of interesting ideas and insights. Probably most useful for people in larger companies but anyone can find things to use in it. I don't know if it was the person reading or the lame jokes the authors threw in from time to time but that kind of detracted from the book.

One interesting part about the book is the many of the ideas were counter intuitive. Without reading the book, you might be d
Edward
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
This book contains a number of suggestions (all 50 of them) on how to effectively persuade others (ethically) with different ways. Each suggestion is presented in a short chapter with engaging stories. The key theme of the book (and hence the title) is that a lot of times, small changes and efforts can lead to big impacts. We need to be smart about it and look for the right idea to implement depending on our situation.

I read this book as an audio book and will need to get back to it in an eBook
Yoric
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the latest on a series of three on the same topic.
In chronological order:
1. Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
2. Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
3. The small Big

I feel like I should read the first two before reading this one, and I feel like there might be some repetitions along the way.

What's appealing in this book is each chapter being concise and answering one specific question, so we can jump from one to another without a specific order.
Ronald J.
This isn't really a book, it's more a toolkit. There's lots of interesting human psychology principles, and if you enjoy behavioral economics you'll like this book. But it's a tedious read, one study after another, 53 in all. It's like they wanted to showcase every study that's ever been done. There's not enough theory, just studies and evidence.
Dixit Nagpal
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very well articulated and backed by research book. You can adopt multiple techniques not just in your business but personal life as well. It requires more than a single read to comprehend the pool of thoughts this book has.
Xiangchen Huo
A book of interesting ideas. Most of the proposed changes require little cost and potentially bring tangible benefits, whether they are big or small. However, as stated in the bonus chapter, a combination of maneuvers may not necessarily bring the desired effect. Practice with discretion.
Geoff Lanotte
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting pairing. Having so recently read "Influence", there is a good deal of overlap. This is a much more practical book about how to apply influence well. I took quite a few nuggets away from this and can see how some of my current behaviors are actually anti-influential.
Dannie Ray
Again, I didn't actually finish this because it was a book from my work and I quit my job, but I'm honestly not sure I would have finished it even if I had stayed. This book has a lot of cool little tidbits in it, but it's INCREDIBLY repetitive and just gets kind of annoying after awhile, honestly.
Darren
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Concise chapters on specific but simple changes that really do make a difference. Would have loved a summary for easy reference!
Mario Anolli
le solite idee di cialdini su persuasione, bene ma non imperdibile
Amr
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book
Vivek Dalal
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Gives you very interesting insights on how small changes can bring about bigger changes in the results.
Charly Troff (ReaderTurnedWriter)
I read this because I LOVE Influence by Robert B. Cialdini. This was an interesting book, but not as good (I thought) as Influence. I'm still glad I read it because I learned a lot.
Steve
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stuff...
Always Reading
Notes to self: read again and make check lists
Tri Santoso
Ada beberapa model pendekatan untuk sebuah ajakan atau imbauan. Salah satu yang umum dipakai yaitu dengan cara menyampaikan sebanyak mungkin informasi atau gagasan terkait. Semakin kaya informasi, semakin kuat daya magis nya untuk mengajak (mempengaruhi). Pada akhirnya orang akan terpengaruh untuk mengambil keputusan. Namun apakah semudah itu orang lain akan mengikuti apa yang kita inginkan? Jawabannya tergantung dari konteks informasi yang di sajikan–terlepas dari faktor di luarnya.
Mengingat
Amber Lea
I like reading books about persuasion to help me be more conscious of the ways advertisers and politicians manipulate people. To that end, this book didn't have much new information.

But something I really liked about this book was that it heavily focused on how to get people to do things that are good for them or the greater good. It wasn't all business all the time. There were even tips in here on how to trick yourself into doing things that are good for you that you're likely inclined to avoid
Arah
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are almost too many case studies in here to make his feel very in-depth. However, it's useful as a workbook or exercise. Using it as a companion to my work sheds new light on some persuasion already in play.
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong author tagged 2 16 Jan 30, 2015 03:26AM
  • Who am I?: 16 Basic Desires that Motivate Our Actions Define Our Personalities
  • Wiser: Getting Beyond Groupthink to Make Groups Smarter
  • Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What We Think and Do
  • Designing for Behavior Change: Applying Psychology and Behavioral Economics
  • Profit from the Core: A Return to Growth in Turbulent Times
  • Friend & Foe: When to Cooperate, When to Compete, and How to Succeed at Both
  • Hacking Happiness: Why Your Personal Data Counts and How Tracking it Can Change the World
  • The Power of Receiving: A Revolutionary Approach to Giving Yourself the Life You Want and Deserve
  • Decide: Work Smarter, Reduce Your Stress and Lead by Example
  • Mind Gym: Achieve More by Thinking Differently
  • Zone to Win: Organizing to Compete in an Age of Disruption
  • Innovative State: How New Technologies Can Transform Government
  • Waiting to Live
  • Captivology: The Science of Capturing People's Attention
  • The Surprising Power of Liberating Structures: Simple Rules to Unleash A Culture of Innovation
  • Powers of Two: Finding the Essence of Innovation in Creative Pairs
  • The Psychology of Attitude Change and Social Influence
  • Instant Influence: How to Get Anyone to Do Anything--Fast
Steve J. Martin is the co-author of the New York Times International bestseller Yes! 50 Secrets from the Science of Persuasion. His work in the field of persuasion science has featured widely in the media. His regular business columns for the British Airways in-flight magazine and the Harvard Business Review are read by over 2 million people each month. He is a guest lecturer at the London Busines ...more
“Regardless of whether you’re trying to convince someone to support your favorite charity, eat healthier, switch their business from their current supplier to your firm, or just adopt a new way of working at the office, one of the most common explanations for lack of persuasive success is also one of the simplest: People recognize they should change their behavior, but they just don’t feel like doing it right now.” 2 likes
“The researchers thought that recipients of precise offers are much more likely to believe that the person making that offer has invested time and effort preparing for the negotiation and therefore has very good reasons to support the precise offer they are making.” 1 likes