Start by marking “Ninja Baby” as Want to Read:
Ninja Baby

Ninja Baby

"Funny and pitch-perfect."—Publishers Weekly, starred review
From the day she was born, Nina was a ninja baby. She obliterated her applesauce. She concealed herself at bath time. And she was training herself in advanced infiltration (of movie night). Nina wants to do everything by herself, until the day her parents bring home a Kung Fu Master (a baby brother). Now with a si
Published November 3rd 2015 by Chronicle Books (first published October 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Ninja Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ninja Baby

Amy!
Jan 30, 2016 marked it as picture-books
This book is cute, but it would have been nice if the ninja baby had been, I don't know, maybe this is crazy, an Asian baby instead of a blond kid.
La Coccinelle
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is one of those picture books that will probably appeal more to adults than to kids. Nina is a precocious little kid. She's a ninja baby! Fiercely independent, she wants to do everything by herself and for herself. Soon, though, she's joined in the household by a Kung Fu Master. Suddenly, she's on her own not because she wants to be, but because the Master is taking all of her parents' attention. So she asks him what his secret is...

This is actually a pretty cute story about sibling rivalry
Tasha
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Right when she was born, Nina was a ninja baby. The doctor slapper her bottom to make sure she was breathing and Nina knocked him over with a ninja kick. Nina was immediately independent, working on her ninja skills even when taking a bath or having her diaper changed. But then everything changes when her parents bring home a new baby, a Kung Fu Master. He approaches everything differently, steadily taking over her parents’ attention and time, pulling them all under his power, and doing it all w ...more
Kid Lit Reviews
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reviews
Goode’s pen, ink, and watercolor illustrations deftly show Nina’s ninja movements and facial expressions, using sly humor and making great use of white space. Zeltser’s witty story contains perfect timing and a fun twist at the end. Sibling-rivalry has never had so much heart as in Ninja Baby.

To read more go to: http://kid-lit-reviews.com/2015/10/19...
Jason
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ninja, picture-books
There are now officially too many ninja picture books.
Kimberly
Very cute! My son is definitely not a ninja baby. Stealth is not his strong point. Is there combat type that involves yowling and big cheeks? He's got that one on lockdown.
Kirsti Call
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love the idea of a ninja baby who came out of the womb doing ninja kicks and "obliterating" her applesauce. Nina is an independent toddler who is later flummoxed by the arrival of a new Kung Fu master brother. How does he stay so focused and keep the attention of the parents so well? Nina's feelings as an older sister are beautifully portrayed in this zany, clever, and perfect read-aloud! There are several laugh-out-loud moments in this book that makes you want to know more about Nina, her broth ...more
Debra McCracken
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book made me giggle and smile. A book to be particularly appreciated by anyone newly becoming a parent, or who has ever been a parent of young children. Delightful and funny--a great gift to new parents!
Jillian Heise
Cute, fun, and my niece really liked the "surprise" ending. Would be great for a child who is about to become and older sibling. Enjoyed the ink and watercolor illustrations. Will make a good addition to the Ninja collection I'm starting for my students who lived Ninja! last year.
Kris
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, but not really spectacular. My littlest kiddo enjoyed it, but it’s not one that is particularly memorable.
Jesse Baggs
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous book, with an interesting take on familiar concepts (Ninja babies; feuding siblings á la “Boss Baby) that builds to an unexpected and satisfying conclusion. Great art, too.
Paulette
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great read for children but I also appreciated it from a (grand)parent's point of view. Ninja baby meets his match as a toddler, when a baby sibling joins the family.
Jenna Knepp
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was good but I thought it was very weird and ended different and it wasn’t the best but it was still a good part the beginning was good.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

With positive reviews from Publisher's Weekly and Kirkus, David Zeltser and Diane Goode's Ninja Baby makes a spirited entrance into the picture book sphere. Zeltser does a solid job here in his picture book debut: in precisely restrained text and diction, his text just springs to life with accomplished illustrator Goode's artwork. Diane Goode's illustrations are absolutely terrific: dynamic, fluid, and with just enough detail to capture all the essential elements of the story. With such an activ
Barbara
Nina has always been a bit of a handful, and as she gets older, she keeps her parents hopping with her ninja ways. But when a younger sibling arrives and charms everyone with his quiet ways, Nina decides that she might be able to learn something from him--and she might be able to teach him a thing or two. The pen, ink, and watercolor illustrations depict in humorous fashion her antics and her placid little brother while the text describes the different approaches to life of a Ninja and her littl ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What I Thought- This was a fun book. I really liked how it applied the ninja (and Kung-Fu) activities to real life. Mr. Zeltser has created a great story, and the illustrations are awesome for it! They have little details that make it pretty cool. I really like the feeling of the story and I like how Nina reacts to her new Kung Fu Master baby brother. LOVED the ending of the book. It made me smile, and I like that it leaves the ending open. I can see this book giving a kid who is getting an olde ...more
Kelly
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lrc-579, ninjas
3.5 Stars

Although this would not have been my book of choice, I picked up this title because I read to a first grade boy every week, and he only wants to read ninja stories. Fortunately for us, this book had more of a plot than some of the dregs of the library that we've been reading lately. Nina is a little ninja who is taken by surprise when a new baby infiltrates her home and parents' hearts. How she navigates her day to day life and adapts to a new member of the family is told with humor, ca
Sandra Guerfi
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Since the day she was born Nina has been an independent spirit. After all, she is a ninja baby. Then one day a new little brother arrives and Nina decides that he is a true Kung Fu Master able to command her parents without a word, he even gets them to carry him everywhere. And for the first time Nina feels all alone. But is she? As she studies the baby's ways he studies hers and soon both are stealthy and a handful for their parents. Will they be too much together or are their parents up to the ...more
Jillian
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was adorable. SO adorable.

The use of different martial arts styles for personality types is hysterical. The fact that the ninja's independence and the zen master's passivity are shown as both having their merits, with neither being the "right" way for a child to be. The adorable illustrations (seriously, there were a couple times I couldn't see Ninja Nina until I did a double take!). It all just rolls together to form a super cute book about being a family and finding out who you want
Julie
Nina (the ninja baby) learns all the art, stealth, and skill of ninjutsu and practices on her unsuspecting parents - until another baby, the kung fu master, comes along and disrupts the household. Like all good martial artists, they need to work together and learn from each other's respective disciplines to become a team. Funny and fast-moving narrative, with terrific illustrations; while humorous and light-hearted, they also show that the author and illustrator understand and love the martial a ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This book started off with a cute concept - a ninja baby. But then it turned into a book about jealousy over a new baby. Nina, the older sibling, is the ninja baby, and the new baby brother is a Kung Fu Master. He comes along and steals all of the attention. There is a weird exchange that magically resolves everything - I didn't get it, and suddenly the Ninja and Master are working together. It didn't work for me.

Ages 4-8

Maria
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nina the Ninja fights and sneaks her way through the world, winning every battle. Her understanding parents are gracious enough to get her a throwing-star mobile and allow her to express her extreme individuality. But when the Master comes along, Nina strives to first learn his secrets, then follow his teachings. Gaining a new younger sibling can feel like a hostile invasion, until you learn to befriend your enemy.

Kristen
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
Ninja Baby by David Zeltser is a wonderful little tale of Nina. From the moment she was born she liked to do things on her own and was called a Ninja baby. When her parents bring home a baby brother Nina learns that she is not the only Ninja baby in the home and indeed must learn from the new Kung Fu Master. The illustrations and story are perfect for any parent. I would suggest this story to anyone with a second little bundle of joy on the way.
Mary Ann
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Right from the start, Nina shows that she is a true ninja baby. She obliterates her applesauce; she stealthily conceals herself at bathtime. But everything changes when her parents bring home a new baby, who is a master at controlling his parents as a Kung Fu Master. At first Nina “flips out” with jealousy, but soon she starts to learn from him the ways of “baby-style Kung Fu.” Readers will especially enjoy the twist at the end, as Nina and her brother join forces.
James Aschbacher
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
David Zeltser has a way with words that will entertain you and your children. Wonderfully playful the story begins with the birth of Baby Ninja (a real Ninja!!!) but is soon enhanced by the appearance of her new baby brother, the Kung Fu Master (Yes, a real Master!!!). Zeltser's witty prose is smartly animated by the delightful watercolor drawings of Diane Goode. Together they tell the story of sibling rivalry that is both insightful and clever with surprising results. Two "sucked" thumbs up!!!
Kathleen
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some kids have a talent for mayhem! This books reminds us to embrace our strengths, and work on our weaknesses (with help!) Most sibling bonds won't be so explicitly a reciprocal master-student, but even an only child would enjoy this wild tale (and probably dress in black and sneak around for a while afterwards!)
Nancy Kotkin
Another ninja-themed picture book. It isn't clear to me why a very independent toddler suddenly becomes jealous of her baby brother being smothered in her parents' attention that she doesn't want anyway. The meeting of the minds is also not explained well within the text. This feels like one of those picture books aimed at the parents rather than the children.
Jessalyn King
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
These pictures are amazing. I think the book would be excellent without, but this brings it to fantastic. Little details like the father also being in a hospital gown at the birth bedside, or the adorable concealment tactics. (From a grownup perspective, I liked the shared parenting roles shown... just sayin'.)
Desiree
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ninja baby is a wonderful story that mixes growing up with the mastery of the art of kung fu. I loved the humor in the book and the illustrations are pretty cute. I laughed out loud in a couple of spots. This is a great cuddle up and read book for the preschool set. Also a great title for children who will be becoming a big sister of brother soon.
Hannah
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The book starts and ends strong, but the in-between is iffy. The main character, Ninja Baby, goes from hating to loving her little brother, Kung Fu Master, for seemingly no reason. Maybe my copy was missing a page? For such a simplistic story, it was very hard to follow.

I read this to a group of prek kids. It did not keep them entertained, but I enjoyed the beginning.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Little Miss, Big Sis
  • Ninja Bunny
  • The Monster Who Lost His Mean
  • It Came in the Mail
  • Planet Kindergarten
  • Samurai Santa: A Very Ninja Christmas
  • Is There a Dog in This Book?
  • Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed
  • Moon
  • Everyone Loves Cupcake
  • Dojo Daycare
  • Goodnight Lab: A Scientific Parody
David Zeltser is the author of Lug: Dawn of the Ice Age and its sequel, Lug: Blast from the North. The novels satirize mankind’s response to climate change and have been praised by Kirkus Reviews, School Library Journal and Al Gore, who called the first book “a great combination of humor and powerful insight.” David’s first picture book, Ninja Baby, was the Magnolia State Book Award runner-up, fea ...more