Start by marking “House Arrest (House Arrest, #1)” as Want to Read:
House Arrest (House Arrest, #1)

House Arrest

(House Arrest #1)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  6,906 ratings  ·  1,145 reviews
Stealing is bad.
Yeah.
I know.
But my brother Levi is always so sick, and his medicine is always so expensive.

I didn’t think anyone would notice,
if I took that credit card,
if, in one stolen second,
I bought Levi’s medicine.

But someone did notice.
Now I have to prove I’m not a delinquent, I’m not a total bonehead.

That one quick second turned into
juvie
a judge
a year of house arres
Published October 6th 2015 by Chronicle Books (first published September 6th 2015)

·  6,906 ratings  ·  1,145 reviews

BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
This book caught me by surprise in the BEST way. I started House Arrest thinking i'd just read a few pages before bed. Hours later after turning the last page, I found myself with tears streaming down my face, sad that the book was done.

Timothy is a 12 year old boy put under house arrest for stealing a wallet. Those are the facts and you might be thinking - a book about a juvenile delinquent, how good can this be? That's what I was thinking anyway, then you start to read.

It goes by quickly be
Hannah
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So when I saw Frozen for the first time, I started crying at "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" because I am not the heartless wench I pretend to be, and I literally did not stop crying until the end. Constant crying. Even during that Fixer-upper song.

When I read House Arrest for the first time, I started crying at page 3 and literally did. not. stop. crying. until the end.

And that is where the similarities end. Because Frozen is great and all, but it is no House Arrest.
Christina Mandelski
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
HOUSE ARREST by K.A Holt honestly took me by surprise. I got the arc at TLA, and thought I'd pick it up last night while waiting for dinner to cook. I didn't know that it would capture me entirely, that dinner would be a blur (what did I even make?) and that I would not go to sleep until the final line.

The story, told in verse, is about a 12 year old named Timothy who has gotten himself into some trouble with the law. Not because he's a bad kid, but because he is desperate. Tim's life is such a
J & J
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jona's rating = 5
Made me so sad, I didn't think I wanted to read anymore but I was drawn to it. I am glad I finished it; as a teacher, it was a great reminder that every single student has a burden...some, like Timothy, have far more on their plates than they can handle. As a human, my heart especially ached for Kevin and Levi's mom which is also a great reminder that all humans carry burdens as well.

Joslyn's rating = 3
Ari
I like reading about family.
I like reading about a kid who despite his/her age fights tooth and nail for his/her family.
I like reading about the good people who helped that kid, on their own way.
That kind of stories might left me in tears sometimes but also gave me warm feeling inside.

Timothy is twelve and he steal a credit card to buy medicines for his sick baby brother.
The court ordered him to write a journal so he's not going to juvie.
And through Tim's journal this heartbreaking story about
Gwen C
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
House arrest is really heartfelt and a deep book. I gave it only 3 stars, because I didn’t enjoy the ending. In my opinion the ending looked unfinished. However, the rest of the book was really good.
Kaylee D
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book a lot! This book is in a format of a journal. It's about a younger brother and an older brother. Levi (younger brother) is very sick and his mom is a single mom that is struggling money wise. So levis older brother took actions into his own hands and stole medicine to make Levi better. He felt relieved but a few hours after the police came and took him. He then was sentenced to 1 year in juvie and had to write in a journal while he was serving his time. Then his mom could not ...more
Brenda Kahn
Timothy may be on house arrest for stealing a wallet but he stole my heart on page one in this achingly lovely verse novel about the love and devotion of a brother.
Kyleigh M
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a little slow for me. I didn't feel there was enough action to keep me going. I am glad I made it through though because I think this book had a meaningful lesson about life. It teaches you that everyone almost always does something for a reason and that you shouldn't assume someone's character based on their mistakes. I would say this is a fairly quick read if you're motivated enough to want to finish it. This book is poetry also.
Lucija The Reader
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Abrams & Chronicle for sending me a copy of this book for a review. However, this doesn't affect my opinion.

This one was a bit hard for me to read. But not because it was boring. It was super interesting. But because the things happening in this book are someone's reality and someone's reality is even worse than that, so I felt sad while reading this book, while the ending made me happy. This book was also a very fast one to read, because of the way it's written. It looks like poet
Claire Johnson
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Powerful. Loved it. And for the first time, I actually enjoyed a book written in verse!
VAL
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This book just ended really suddenly. The writing isn't great, but overall it's an entertaining enough story. I loved the character development. The ending though sucked in my opinion. After everything that happened it was pretty lame.
Nicole Hewitt
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This is one of the best novels in verse I’ve ever read. It’s written as Timothy’s poetic journal that he keeps while he’s on house arrest for stealing a credit card to pay for his little brother’s medication. At first, I wasn’t sure how the journal style would work, but it turned out to be incredibly emotionally compelling. It’s impossible not to sympathize with him as his family struggles to deal with his little broth
Courtney
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first picked up House Arrest, I thought it was just gonna be another short, cheesy book. But, as I started to read it, I realised I could not stop reading page after page. This book was diffidently a five out of five star read. I was immediately swept into the lives of Timothy, the main character, and his dysfunctional family.

There are moments when you are hanging on to see what comes next, times when all you can do is pity the characters, and mostly, times when you can’t help but smile.
Jillian Vincent
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finished in one sitting. Loved everything about this book- that it was a journal written in verse, the characters, and the bravery of these brothers and their community. I hope my boys care for each other in ways like these brothers do! I loved that it exposed a scenario that reveals the best and worst of people, in unexpected ways. Just because someone is on probation or a nurse, that doesn’t make them either villains or heroes! And just being a neighbor who genuinely cares is heroic in itself! ...more
Sara
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's not often, as a middle school librarian, that I read a book that is pitch perfect, that doesn't miss a note. K. A. Holt's beautifully written, insightful, engaging novel of a family struggling with an ill child, through the perspective of the big brother's journal, is an amazing, uplifting experience. Thank you!
Leigh Anne
I don't know why there is not more buzz about this amazing book. Timothy makes a spur of the moment choice in order to help his brother who has health problems, and he ends up under house arrest. He writes in this journal for his counselor and probation officer, and we get to see straight path to his heart through his words. Amazing book! I will be shouting about this one for quite awhile.
Lilla
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Add this to your list of must read verse novels. You'll feel the anger Timothy feels, and fall in love with his little brother Levi. This book would create some great ethical discussions in your classrooms too.
Mrs. Davi
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story, but this one left me sad at the end. I was hoping to see more of a conclusion, but sometimes one day at a time is all that can be seen and read about. How fitting...
Vicki
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me start off by saying that this book is heartbreaking, a tear-jerker, and realistic. It's about love, doubt, unanswerable questions we have in life, and it's just a really well-written book!

Timothy is one of those boys who did something wrong, but the "right" reason. He has a newborn brother named Levi who was born with a life threatening illness in which he's unable to thrive. Timothy is just a little 12 year old boy who the author created so vividly and realistically that you forget he's
Samantha (WLABB)
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really powerful look at how a loved one's illness affects the whole family. Timothy shared the good, the bad, and the ugly sides of Levi's illness, but there was always so much love behind it. I really liked the way Holt took us through the year with Timothy, Levi, and their mom. I grew to love and appreciate their community of supporters, and was so happy they had them. I also like that Timothy's journal wasn't just filled with the family drama. He had normal kid worries in there too ...more
Crystal (Bookaholic Ravenclaw)
5 out of 5 stars.

Wow, what a way to start off 2019.

Okay, why is no one talking about this book? I decided to read a few pages of this book before I go to bed, and I ended up reading the entire thing in one sitting. (It's currently 2 A.M. when I'm writing this, BTW.)

I completely forgot about everything when I was reading this book. This book made me laugh and cry and ohmygod why is no one talking about this book?! It packs so much in such a short book (only 296 pages) and it's such a quick read (
Hannah R.
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a little confusing at first but then it was less confusing once you got to the end, also the set up of the book is weird
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is kind of confusing at first but once you get into the actual story line it's really interesting. The only thing is that THE END IS A CLIFF HANGER. (That's not a spoiler, right?)
Elliott Shields
May 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
I abandoned the book did not finish
I didn't not like this book because of how it was set up I didn't feel a story on this book it was like I was reading a journal.
I felt like there was no story in this book it was just after a few pages it was a new day and since he was trapped inside all the time there was nothing exciting happening
there was nothing special about this book nothing special about the character or anything
Kameron
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This wasn't a very interesting book but it was good enough to read. This book had a good story line and it was interesting to hear about. It was about a kid who steals money in order to keep his brother alive. Soon the cops find out and put him under this thing called house arrest. Overall I liked this book.
tiffany ☂︎ [ bookish brat ]
Timothy is given a year of house arrest and required to keep a journal the entire time for stealing a wallet to pay for his younger brother's medication. This is that journal and if reading it doesn't give you all the emotions, then I don't know what to tell you.

This. was. just. beautiful. I laughed. I cried. I cried a little more. I didn't want to stop reading about Timothy and Levi. Easily, five stars. Now it's time to read Knockout, the sequel to House Arrest.
Joy Kirr
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I am giving a book talk every year about this one. This book, written in prose, will appeal to any teenager, especially those with younger siblings. I love how Timothy's journal from house arrest (instead of juvie) out full of ANGER, and by the end was so full of HOPE! I actually chuckled out loud near the end, because I felt I really knew the character.
Kate
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Timothy
on house arrest
because his brother needed the medicine
writes his journal.
Shares his pain
desperation
fear
and love.
Powerful
from the minute you read
the first line
right to the very end.
I love the story behind the story, but oh how I wished for a different ending...
NZ Intermediate S...: House Arrest 4 21 Jun 29, 2017 01:51PM

• Jazz Owls: A Novel of the Zoot Suit Riots
  • The Seventh Wish
  • Booked

House Arrest (2 books)
  • Knockout (House Arrest, #2)
“I didn’t have the heart to tell her
she’s mistaking bravery
for flat-out
desperation.”
3 likes
“What good is it to be a teenager
if no one will listen to anything you say?”
1 likes