Start by marking “Land Shark” as Want to Read:
Land Shark

Land Shark

The only thing Bobby wants for his birthday is a pet shark. So you can imagine his disappointment when his parents get him...a puppy. Everyone knows shark lovers can never become dog lovers. Or can they? Full of humor and heart, this book explores the idea that sometimes, getting exactly what you don't want turns out to be exactly what you need.
Published August 4th 2015 by Chronicle Books

Start your review of Land Shark
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Bobby wanted a shark for his birthday. A shark! And Bobby had a “frightful, bite-ful, delightful plan” to make it happen. Hints and signs were left all around for his parents to see, but alas when his big day came, Bobby got a puppy instead. A puppy? Can Bobby’s new pet win him over with chomps, barks, and land destruction? :D

This clever and hilarious book showcases the whole family and house. Every room and family member plays a part. I like that. Be sure to look for subtle shark si
Ruth
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, 2016
This story about a young boy who wants a pet shark but gets a puppy instead is great fun. The text is visually appealing, and adds to the fun of the story as it changes size to match the action. The drawings are a ton of fun to look at, and the antics of the little puppy - who misbehaves in all the ways a puppy can - slowly converts this die-hard shark fan into a lover of puppies as well.

I'm really hoping we get a dinosaur story as well, as is teased at the end of this book.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

We often hear about kids wanting puppies, kittens, bunnies...maybe even snakes or tarantulas as pets. But what about sharks? Have you ever met a kid who was genuinely, seriously, hopelessly in love with sharks? So much so that that is all they dream about and hope to get as a pet? Well, get ready to meet Bobby, the adorably tufty-haired and determined protagonist of Beth Ferry and Ben Mantle's picture book Land Shark...

Bobby has a pretty simple two-step plan in place- a "frightful, bite-ful, de
Alecia
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this book does a nice job at sending the message to kids that "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might get what you need." In this case, Bobby really wants a shark for his birthday but ends up with a dog which is at first extremely disappointing. The entertaining words, the varying font, and clever illustrations all were great. I also like that the author chose to add the last four pages rather than ending it neatly concluded. Kids could even make some pred ...more
Liza Nahas
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Adorable! I enjoyed this fun story with lively illustrations. Kids will love Bobby's determination & scheming.
Stacie
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Bobby has a birthday coming up and he doesn't want the typical gift. He wants a pet shark for his birthday. So he creates a plan. Step 1: Convince Parents, Step 2: Get shark. What follows is a perfect plan that comes together...maybe not exactly how Bobby imagined it. It's full of silly antics sure to get your child giggling. The illustrations are top-notch and will keep you from turning the pages too fast because your child will want to look it all over. What a great book for a birthday boy or ...more
Erica
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Illustrations are awesome. Cute story about a boy who wants a shark for a pet and ends up with something unexpected. Great story for slightly older boys who would get a lot of enjoyment out of this story.
:Donna Marie
LAND SHARK Beth Ferry has done it again and Ben Mantle's illustrations help drive this book home! Her debut book Stick & Stone (illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld)hit the NY Times Bestseller list for good reason and I fully expect this one to follow right behind! If you never thought of sharks when you looked at chewy puppies, you will now! This is a must read and sure to be a family favorite :D
Amber
Oh Bobby! He wants a shark so bad and he feels confident that he's getting one for his birthday. However, when his birthday comes, he finds not a toothy shark, but a little puppy. Oh boy is Bobby upset. After all, "shark lovers canNOT be converted to dog lovers." Can the little puppy chomp it's way into Bobby's heart?
Note: The dog in this book reminds me of my mother in laws dog! She's a bit of a terror too! A cute terror! A lovable terror. She definitely has comped her way into our hearts!
Kristina Jean Lareau
Bobby wants a pet shark, but his parents get him a puppy instead.

With illustrations rendered in pen, ink and watercolor with a little digital help, the illustrations breathe detail and excitement. This is a fun book, with excellent pacing and offers and entertaining read. Pair it with The Octopuppy for an opposite approach.
Darlene
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For landlubbers and seafarers alike, this entertaining story of a boy longing for a pet shark will tickle your funny bone. After leaving not so subtle hints to his parents about the perfect birthday present, Bobby receives something quite different for his birthday. Can a shark-obsessed boy learn to love a land creature? Humorous illustrations add another layer of fun to a story you'll happily read over and over again.
Juliana Lee
Serenity
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really fun. A boy fantasizes about getting a shark for a pet, but instead gets a puppy. It isn't until the puppy takes a big bite out of his plush shark that he comes around to the idea that shark lovers can be dog lovers.

*I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher*
Juliana Lee
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Kristen
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun read aloud I can't wait to share with my nephew Dane, who is a huge fan of sharks. Our male protagonist (with cutely depicted nerd glasses) really wants a shark for his birthday, but instead gets a naughty puppy. Will he eventually win him over, or will his family get annoyed by all his destruction first?
Angie
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Maybe I loved this book because my son loved sharks when he was a preschooler..maybe it is the fabulous illustrations...maybe it is the fact that it is humorous for kids AND adults...or maybe it is the combination of all those things that made me love this book. If you have kids read this book to them.
Paula Hollohan
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the character of Bobby - he is "every boy" with a plan. And the puppy is a real puppy - no sugar coating here. Kids would come back to this story - could be a great story starter for some kids. Pre-k - Grade 3.
Viviane Elbee
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is delightfully written... love it! And the illustrations go well with the story.

My sense of humor might be a little darker than my kids - I thought it was really funny. My kids found the lovey chomping to be a bit discomforting.
Lynn
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Youngsters who want unusual pets will relate to Bobby's efforts to convince his parents of his desire for a shark.
Full color, expressionistic, illustrations done in watercolor, pen, pencil, and digitally retouched help us relate to Bobby. End papers help us get in the mood for the story!
Selena
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A delightful tale about a little boy with big dreams about having a frightful, bite-ful shark for a pet. Naturally a puppy can't fill those shoes or can it? A good "be careful what you wish for" story.
Bea Araujo
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING. Perfect read-aloud for K-4. I used it in Third.
Donna
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Really funny and looking forward to sharing with students.
Gerberta
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was awesome. All of my elementary school kids enjoyed it, too. It's fun, funny, and has a bit of an unexpected ending. Plus, sharks.
Laura Salas
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A funny reversal picture book--Bobby wants a shark for his birthday, and he's SO disappointed to get a puppy. No way can a shark-lover become a puppy-lover!
Mariah
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What happens if you want a shark for your birthday, but you receive a puppy instead? Initially, disappointment. But this is one special puppy.
Sunah Chung
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bobby is a boy who loves different kinds of sharks. He wants a pet shark for his birthday present. However, his parents give a dog to Bobby as a gift on his birthday, and his pouted facial expressions show his dissatisfaction and disappointment. As time goes by, the dog’s misbehaved mayhem opens Bobby’s mind. When the dog destroys Bobby’s shark toy, the size of the texts become larger, expressing Bobby’s impressions of the dog. He then learns to love dogs, and makes a plan in requesting a differ ...more
Rachael Monroe
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
Bobby wants a shark, NOT a dog. His plan was marvelous, magnificent, and could not have been any more thorough. Except, his parents didn't understand. Now, Bobby and his family has a puppy. What does he do with that thing?! Along the way, the puppy's actions start intriguing Bobby more and more...

This book is great for a read aloud to a classroom! Full of astounding colors, Land Shark has lots of illustrations that the children are able to look into detail. The front cover shows the
Haley
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sharks, birthdays, and a puppy!
Great artwork (I'm a sucker for detailed end pages and this book delivers!) and a unique story. I loved almost everything about this book except for a few points. Sometimes the font doesn't feel right for the art that's on the page. It's either too small or the wrong color. The words are broken up on the page and there were a few times where i missed a line or two because of this. This book is also a bit on the long side which can be fine depending on your au
Sunni Berbert
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(PICTURE BOOK)

Good vocabulary to go over. Lot's of inferences children could make about what Bobby's plan is using illustration clues. Goes over different kinds of sharks. Relate to lesson on sharks. Inside covers illustrate a calendar month. Could relate it to math lesson. Loved the visual character of Bobby (his hair looks like a dorsal fin on a shark). Cute relationship development between Bobby and the puppy.
Kat Harrison
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Bobby's fin-like coif says it all--this kid is a fan of sharks. The book's premise centers on Bobby's wish to get a pet shark for his upcoming birthday. Unsurprisingly, his antics go misread by his parents and they gift him with another pet instead (I'll spare you the spoiler). A sweet tale of falling in love with something you didn't know you needed.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Because
  • Giraffe Problems
  • Strictly No Elephants
  • The Storm Whale
  • Nothing Can Frighten a Bear
  • 7 Ate 9: The Untold Story
  • Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) (Junie B. Jones, #18)
  • Penguin Problems
  • Nanette's Baguette
  • Monkey with a Tool Belt and the Silly School Mystery
  • Otis and the Kittens
  • Don't Call Me Bear!
  • Mustache Baby
  • The Good Egg
  • School's First Day of School
  • Little Elliot, Big City (Little Elliot, #1)
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • Gaston
Beth Ferry is the author of the picture books Stick and Stone and Land Shark. Her family has cared for myriad pets, including two land sharks, a hedgehog, a blue-tongued skink, and a heap of hamsters, but her absolutely perfect pet is an English bulldog named Winston. She lives in New Jersey.