Start by marking “Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Yuletide Yahoos, Ho-Ho-Humblebraggers, and Other Seasonal Scourges” as Want to Read:

For fans of Laurie Notaro and Jenny Lawson comes an uproarious and oddly endearing essay collection for anyone trying to survive the holidays in one piece.

When it comes to time-honored holiday traditions, Jen Mann pulls no punches

In this hilariously irreverent collection of essays, Jen Mann, nationally bestselling author of People I Want to Punch in the Throat, turns her m
Published October 13th 2015 by Ballantine Books (first published October 2nd 2012)

Start your review of Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Yuletide Yahoos, Ho-Ho-Humblebraggers, and Other Seasonal Scourges
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Those Christmas books you see every one reading about love and shit? This is not one of those. This is the Holiday version for the 5% of us that really don't work up that much Christmas spirit. That stuff takes too much energy. I am a 5 percenter.

I LOVE Jen Mann. I read her other book People I want to Punch in the Throat and realized that I think we are sisters separated at birth. So then I started stalking her blog and Facebook.
In this book she talks about her over achieving Christmas loving m
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I love humor writing, and so when I saw the title of this book, I had to have it. My overall feeling after finishing it is that while it had lots of stories that made me smile, it felt a little forced and contrived.

This book is a collection of short stories about the holidays (duh), and all of the funny family interactions that took place. There are some really funny stories here (I liked the caroler one and basically anything that involves 80s mullets), but most were just mildly amusing. I wan
Kelli
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Hmmm. This had some truly funny parts to it but other parts felt a little contrived. I have found this with most blogger books...it often feels like there isn't quite enough material there for an entire book, so some essays get a little away from the theme or they just don't fit. I have heard the first book was better and I believe it is waiting for me at the library. I will circle back on that.

I got some laughs with this. The story about the carolers was hysterically funny. I attempted to retel
Dana

Unfortunately I found that this book was not able to live up to the hilarity of it's predecessor. Where People I Want to Punch in the Throat came off as witty and snarky, this sequel ended up going into the direction of bitter and exhaustive.

I think the issue was that there simply wasn't enough appropriate subject matter that fit into the theme of the book, and therefore every quip came across as far reaching. Complaining simply for the sake of complaining.

There were still some funny moments in
Natalie Monroe
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Shit My Dad Says
And a-one, and a-two!

On the twelfth day of Christmas
Jen Mann sent to me:
Five totally-true-but-we-don't-wanna-admit-it truuuuuths
Four decorating contests
Three grabby Santas
Two inappropriate Halloween costumes
and a hilarious, yet touching boooooook

ARC provided by Netgalley

Other song reviews:

The Last Ever Afte
Steve
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Perfect book for my Christmas in 2015: I’m pretty much home alone this December. Not to sound all schmaltzy or depressing, but my children (and granddaughters) aren’t coming home this year for Christmas, and my wife is out in California for most of the month helping a niece whose husband passed away this weekend after a three-year battle with cancer. So, not much holiday cheer in my household other than a Pandora Christmas stat
Cher
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir-bio, audiobook
2.5 stars - It was alright, an average book.

Not as enjoyable as People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges, but I felt like this one gave me more of a glimpse of what kind of mother I imagine I would have been, had I chosen to have children.

-------------------------------------------
Favorite Quote: I am offended by anyone who gets offended if they aren't wished the proper holiday.

First Sentence: So you think you might be one of the c
Mich
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a hoot. Loved the freakin holiday hilarity
I love her blog. Follow her on FB. This book does NOT disappoint and that it was .99 kindle was even better. After reading it I would've paid full price. Freakin funny. ( and freakin would be the PC term not necessarily mine for this review!) YEA!!!! Recommended it and they agreed with me!! Oh just go get it!
Heidi
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars: A hilarious and realistic look at the holidays.

For all you who are tried of all the mayhem, greed and keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to the holiday season, this is a must read book. It is a laugh out loud, realistic and funny book at the holidays and all the good, bad and ugly. If you are like me, and are tired of the rat race here are some reasons why you need to read this book.
The title: Seriously, how can you resist a book with a title like that?
You secretly want to pun
Lorilin
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, arc
I read People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges last year and really enjoyed it. That book was a bit rambling at points--and there were a couple of dud essays in there--but it did make me laugh. So I figured I would like the Spending the Holidays version, too. My only worry was that the one-note holiday theme would get old after the first few essays...

Far from being boring or predictable, however, Spending the Holidays with People
April
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely KNEW that I needed to read Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Yuletide Yahoos, Ho-Ho-Humblebraggers, and Other Seasonal Scourges which is essentially the longest title of all time ever, but you guys, this book is actually funnier than her first one. WHAT! I know! So, yeah, add this to your Christmas cart and get your read on. Read my review here ...more
Meredith Spidel
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book did exactly what I need a holiday book to do--lift me out of the hustle and bustle with a hefty dose of witty perspective to laugh the crazy away. Medicine for the harried soul along with the sweet gift of making you feel far more normal. Get your hands on this book!
Morris
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat” is a memoir in essays about Christmas and other holidays. It will make you laugh, cry, cringe, feel sorry for the author, and ultimately, make you feel nostalgia.

Most of the stories had me actually laughing out loud. Some of them made me snort. Quite a few of them left me wondering if we may be related. The point is: We have all been in her shoes, and we have also all been in the shoes of one of the other poor souls. No holiday is
J
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jen Mann's People I Want to Punch in the Throat is an example of blog to self pub to picked up by big publishing house working out well for some folks. Mann has found a topic that people can relate to and the type of self deprecating humor that makes her not sound holier than thou such that the book works ... in small snippets. The more concise she is, the better the story. The few times that Mann roams into longer territory, so too does the whole point of the tale. Thankfully the longer chapter ...more
Dirty Dayna
is this one of those books that sucks you into the couch and you lose track of what year it is? NO

however it is that typical coffee table book that its fun to open it read a few lines and then carry on with your date

I love the authors wit and sass most of all . I don't much care for her stories because they come off very spoiled brat like however the show stopper is whenever there is a lsit of something

the morale of this book is .. we all HATE holidays... and we all LOVE them and no one knows
SallyHP
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really funny and relatable. Her blog post about elf on the shelf was so funny! This is a quick, easy read but worth checking out.
Terra
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a real hoot!
Sandra "Jeanz"
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wit, wisdom, traditions and comedy all rolled into one fantastic book, not just to be read around Christmas!

INITIAL THOUGHTS
I was feeling like I needed a funny, maybe even laugh out loud book. When it feels like everything is going wrong I look for a "cheerful" read and this one sounds like it may fit the bill.

MY REVIEW
I received an e-copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. The cover is dominated by the title which is a long one! The other item on the cover is a ginge
Chris Torretta
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How to share my feelings about this book? It is so hilariously good. I wanted to cry it is so funny. I have so much of this highlighted to share and I cannot even choose which parts to share.

The first reason this is great is because Jen Mann is snarky. I really understood but also felt her anecdotes. It is her life with her family during various holidays but it is really everyone's life.

Who relishes recounting their favorite holiday story of the day their niece or granddaughter was a tyrannical,
Fluff Smut & Murder

Available: October 13, 2015

Thank you to NetGallery.com and to the publisher for the ARC of this novel in exchange for my honest review.

OMG. If Jen Lancaster spawned 2 children, she would morph into the amazing Jen Mann who I just discovered. I LOVE HER!!! I am clicking on her page at Amazon.com to get everything she has ever written (3 other books!) because she is putting my entire soul on a page and sharing it with the masses. Thank you Thank you Thank you Random House for the early birthday pr
SheriC (PM)
Middle class suburban mommy humor. I’m not the target audience. Or, according to the author’s intro, I must not have a sense of humor if I didn’t find her book hilarious.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library via Overdrive. Read by the author, which was probably a mistake. It might have benefitted from a professional performance.

I read this for The 16 Tasks of the Festive Season, Square 8: December 12th - 24th: Book themes for Las Posadas: Read a book dealing with visits by family or frien
La La
More like 2.5 stars. This isn't a story perse, it is a collection of the author's blog posts about different holidays spent with her friends and family. At points in the first half of the book I wanted to DNF because frankly it was boring, and swearing and being non-PC does not automatically make you funny; you actually have to be funny! Parts like eaves dropping on other moms conversing in a mall, and the fake Christmas "humblebrag" letter about the family with all the K names went on way too l ...more
Sally Hannoush
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't wait to read this book because I enjoyed Jen Mann's other book "People I want to Punch in the Face." It has the same feeling of hanging out with a friend while I read. I had a great time hearing about more of her thoughts and life stories. She tells them well. This book is great to read straight through or break up into parts and read a little here and a little there. I love the "conversations" in her book. Some of her own memories take me back to my own.
Christine Lussier
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If you love Jen Mann, you will love her latest book. Absolutely had many laugh-out-loud moments! A funny, quick read.
Gina
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
At times, I felt like I was reading a blog by one of the Bad Moms leading ladies - in a good way. Because this is, in part, collected from her blog, there are a few repetitious moments, but it's nothing too bothersome.
Kandice
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Mary Widdicks
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Spending The Holidays With People I Want To Punch In The Throat is the second collection of hilarious essays from author Jen Mann. In her first book, People I Want To Punch In The Throat, she laid waste to suburban scourges and Stepford wives. This time she’s taking on the pumpkin-spice latte-drinking, Black Friday shopping, Elf posing, holiday merrymakers by blending memories from her own ghosts of Christmases past with her usual brand of snarky observational humor.

The first thing I do whenever
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
This was such a fun read! I love to read Jen's blog: People I Want to Punch in the Throat and as soon as her book was released, I knew I had to read it. I love Jen's blog for her humor and snarky writing. She often says exactly what I'm thinking, and she's not afraid to speak her mind on anything. That's a trait I really admire!

Jen's book is about the holidays (obviously). I think that the inspiration for her book came from her hilarious blog post about the Elf on the Shelf (read that post here)
Kristina Aziz
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The author starts this book off in a way that implies she's assuming you've read her last book. This is not really an issue if, you know, you did. But if this is the first book you've read of her it comes off a bit cocky and ridiculous. The saving grace for this, though, is that I found out on the very first page that pumpkin spice EVERYTHING gets on both of our nerves.

As I went on, I got used to the author's voice and was able to focus on the stories themselves, which range from funny to exposi
Norine Dworkin-mcdaniel
When you've reached your limit on the seasonal treacle dished out by the Hallmark Channel, et al., lock yourself in the closet and let yourself gorge on this deliciously snarky holiday treat by humorist Jen Mann. Filled with seasonal goofs and gaffes, crazy faux pas and hilarious f*ck-ups, this is the anti-holiday reader for those who understand that Thanksgiving to New Year’s is the most stressful time of the year ... and that striving for "perfection" is an invitation to disaster.

Sharing her
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• I Just Want to Pee Alone: A Collection of Humorous Essays by Kick Ass Mom Bloggers
  • Donna Has Left the Building
  • Monster (Blood Trails #2)
  • You Better Not Cry: Stories for Christmas
  • Fowl Language: The Struggle Is Real
  • Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress: Tales of Growing up Groovy and Clueless
  • Noopiming: The Cure for White Ladies
  • Trust: America's Best Chance
  • How Do You Go to Sleep?
  • Fowl Language: Winging It
  • What Is the Story of Scooby-Doo?
  • What Is the Story of Looney Tunes?
  • American Crisis: Leadership Lessons from the COVID-19 Pandemic
  • Missouri Off the Beaten Path: A Guide to Unique Places
  • The Monsters We Make
  • The Key from Spain
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • Where to Begin: A Small Book About Your Power to Create Big Change
Jen Mann of People I Want to Punch in the Throat is the hilarious author of the New York Times best seller, People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges and Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat. She also contributes to and publishes the New York Times best selling I Just Want to Pee Alone series of books. Her b ...more