Start by marking “The Cicada Prophecy” as Want to Read:

Read Book

The Cicada Prophecy

FOR A SMALL PRICE, ANYONE CAN BE IMMORTAL.
WELCOME TO THE BRAVE NEW WORLD.

Dr. Richard Ross has discovered a miracle cure for aging. But it comes at a price. Everyone who wants eternal youth must undergo an operation before passing into adulthood that locks their body in the form of a preadolescent youth. When seniors die off, immortal juveniles rise to power and take over t
Published October 23rd 2014 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about The Cicada Prophecy, please sign up.
Nancy Foster Chapter 3 and 4 will probably bore your daughter. In chapter 3 the neurosurgeon Dr. Ross teaches a Bioethics class and talks about the biology of…moreChapter 3 and 4 will probably bore your daughter. In chapter 3 the neurosurgeon Dr. Ross teaches a Bioethics class and talks about the biology of telomerase. As a medical doctor I had to squint my eyes when I saw the part where there was no mention that ova have been stuck in Prophase of Meiosis II when us ladies were barely 10 week old fetuses and claim to be eternally dividing like sperm cells. The second polar body of the ova cell is expelled causing the cell to resume activities with a biochemical reaction that is triggered when a sperm of an artifical electromagnetic pulse is fed to the cell. Sadly we are born with a limited supply and most ova are long gone before we hit puberty. No mentioning of the whims of the mighty p53 and that cancer cells learn how to game the telomerase enzyme thanks to epigenetic markers thus becomming essentially immortal in a disorganized sort of way.
Okay, I'll stop being mean because the first chapter had it's neuroanatomy right and the jabs making fun of the poor athesthesiologt were funny. :P However getting back to your question the bioethics class begins to talk about a lot of cellular biology terms that are more aimed at med students without the fluidity that younger readers that don't have a medical background will be able to appreciate. In the 4th chapter you have a Biotech firm talking about stock options now that their monopoly of the hormone replacement therapy is reaching an end. I doubt the average teenager will find that chapter to be very enjoyable.

My bus arrived to the subway right when Part 2 of the novel begins so I don't know yet if anything improper or creepy happens in later chapters.(less)

A. Fae
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
By J.R McLeay

I have to say that the blurb for The Cicada Prophecy by J. R McLeay immediately grabbed my attention and got me excited in a way that not all blurbs do. I had high hopes for it: a proposed storyline that told the tale of the possibility of eternal life. I waited patiently for the genre to be picked and its’ turn in my queue. Although I can honestly say that as a whole it was definitely up to snuff, I did have a few issues with it as well.

The storyline was exciting
Russell Libonati
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I love hard science fiction and this book definitely qualified. I give credit for an interesting new idea and for the technical detail. Most of it was outside my area of knowledge so I cannot vouch for it's accuracy. I found myself sort of enjoying the book. Why would that be strange and why a 2 star review then? Well we're talking about eleven year old people. When the male protagonist talks about how attractive his love interest is, kisses her and even has sex with her, it just comes across as ...more
Celeste Magnificent
May 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was one of the worst books I have read in my life. The premise was interesting but the characters over-explained everything. Rick knows science but he uses words like "hip" to describe a nightclub. It was painful, like dental surgery. I have a background in science, so I followed all of the dialogue but it was still very boring. Never again.
Roberto
Nov 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Mjgriffor
The only reason I managed to finish this book was my sense of obligation to the book challenge started by a friend and the fact it was all I had to read during an all day stay in a hospital waiting room.
The writing is horrible. The prose is juvenile and clichéd. Surgeons stop in the middle of brain surgery to have a long inner monologue on just what they are doing. There is no character development to speak of and there is the lack of anything resembling a coherent plot.
The premise itself is v
John
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An original medical thriller/mystery.

I'm a fan of TV medical shows, but I'd never read a medical thriller book before. The concept of living forever sounded interesting and how it brings up all kinds of trade-offs and questions, like what is the role of religion if nobody dies?

The first part of the story sets up the characters and the underlying science, which seemed well researched. It was interesting to see how people reacted in the ethically-disturbing corporate boardroom (they go to the extr
harrie kd
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
oh dear. This book seemed promising. But it turned out to be an author humble bragging about all the big words and definitions he knows. The characters - a brain surgeon & endocrinologist, so people who would in reality have quite an in depth level of biological knowledge - kept explaining stuff to each other that I knew from middle school biology. It might be me but if I were getting brain surgery I’d want a doctor who didn’t need to have basic biological ideas explained to them as if they ...more
Brian's Book Blog
Find more reviews like this at Brian's Book Blog

Forever young… that was the plan, anyway

Humans have long tried to find the fountain of youth. In the future, it appears that doctors and scientists alike have found the proverbial fountain of youth and it literally involves keeping people young… very young. 11 years old (on the outside at least). There is a new surgery that is mandatory, allowing the world to live a young and full life much longer than their parents and grandparents were able to.

At
Joe II
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Talk About Putting All Your Eggs in One Basket...

In this genetic engineering techno-thriller, scientists have finally given humanity near immortality, having "fixed" the body's own propensity to mandate death sometime after adolescence. Almost the entire the population is made up of pre-adolescent eleven year olds.

But the now-common procedure comes with a terrible risk, and some consider it to be not only ill-advised but immoral. The drama arises when the infrastructure supporting this "peaceful
Antony Pegg
Sep 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mandy
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: eown
This author is VERY promising. The ideas he has are very thought provoking and I will definitely watch for his other books, but why only two stars? He clearly had put together a great plot, but I thought the ending came a little too quick with a sudden explanation of everything rather than letting the story play out. There were a couple of places where the descriptions got overly detailed and drug down the pace of the book. All this being said, the plot was so compelling for me, I put it at the ...more
Catherine Astolfo
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First I must confess that I sometimes skim through books. I am a voracious, eclectic and FAST reader. However, I did not skim through The Cicada Prophecy. There was far too much to learn. I didn’t want to miss a thing. In fact, I found myself looking up a few concepts online to see if they were true. (And they were.) You have to like medical thrillers, intelligent discussion, and challenging concepts, but I expect that most readers check the genre before they read. I loved this book for the prem ...more
Terri Trujillo dunlap
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book was awful and I only finished it by skimming large portions of endless boring descriptions of places, buildings and procedures. The writing is weak and the scenarios of 11yo bodies acting like adults is disturbing.
Christine Hasson
May 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
The plot was predictable and none of the characters were likable.....with no one to root for the book became less interesting. The author spent too much time explaining medical jargon and too little time developing the characters.
Bob
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and apparently based on some facts albeit speculative.
Lolly
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A+ story idea, C+ plot execution, F dialogue/writing style. Took me way too long to get through, despite wanting to know how it ended.
Ann237
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very pleased that I went ahead & read this book. The back cover description was successful in doing its job, it grabbed the possible readers. First it impressed me the amount of knowledge the author had. Knowledge in biology, trees, architecture & History. But then I realized that there was not the knowledge within myself to see if it was true, or he pulled a fake it to you make it moment. Now the topic was interesting, but I had a bit of a problem getting deeply involved with the c ...more
Burke Spencer
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Crichtonesque medical masterpiece!

The Cicada Prophecy: A Medical Thriller definitely lives up to its title. While I was reading this book, I thought J.R. McLean (the author) must be a doctor. He infused medical procedures, terminology, and theories masterfully into his utopian, possibly dystopian..., well written and compelling sci-fi thriller. I thoroughly enjoyed and came very close to giving it 5 stars, however for as a good as it was there were a couple areas I felt could've been bet
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Again, this is one of those books where I wanted desperately to like it! Its right up my alley in terms of ‘books I’m almost guaranteed to enjoy!’, but… I do not feel the author laid out the premise in a believable fashion, and that destroys this type of book almost immediately for me. At least, he did not provide enough backstory/documentation to make me believe that this could have possibly happened. I’m all for speculative fiction, but it has to be done in a orderly fashion. Where’s the ‘lets ...more
Patricia Romero
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Mcleay has taken our obsession with youth and longevity and has given us a wonderful novel of what the future could be.
With his scientific background he puts forth a hypothesis that will have you questioning the age old question of evolution vs. creationism.

Just because we can should we? Is it okay to mess with Mother Nature just because we can, or think we can?

The characters in his book are very real, well developed and I can see this actually happening someday. In the future children neve
Prathan
The author clearly did his homework in biology, but The Cicada Prophecy is lacking depth in numerous aspects, most notably social sciences; the extraordinary premise that in less than 30 years from now humanity as a whole will have discovered, developed and globally deployed a complicated medical operation with such far ranging implications (not to mention the minor issues of solving world hunger and nation-state aggression which would be prerequisite to such a deployment) requires extraordinary ...more
Cy Soto
Sep 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: I would recommend that you never waste your time with this pathetic attempt of a novel.
This book has ZERO redeeming qualities. The topic is poorly presented, the dialogue appears to have been written by an eleven-year-old child and the development of the story seems forced (at best).

This is, undoubtedly, one of the most poorly written novels that I have read in a long time. A one-star rating feels generous on my part...
Anthony Pratt
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Book was an interesting twist on the age old question of how to cheat death and live forever. J.R. does this in a new way with a little mystery, thriller, and medical science fiction. The middle of the book does have a little medical and chemical techno-jargon that left me a little bored at first but once you get through that, its back to the thrill of the mystery. Great Work!!!
Keith
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was a good story, but there was WAY too much science in this science fiction book. The constant in-depth technical explanations detracted from the story. At times it seemed I was reading a text book from a class I was about to fail.
Alison Emann
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a brilliant book. I really enjoyed all the science along with the story. I love a dose of learning along with my entertainment. Like a great thriller should, it unnerved me, and I hope mankind never steers this route. A riveting and fascinating read.
Richard E. Emery
Sep 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not thrilled

I hate to berate an author who has obviously put a lot of effort into research. But, the prose was just brutal. No one speaks like this. Especially a 50 year old 11 year old. The main character was about as likable as dishwasher. Although he was practically perfect in every way. Enough said. Anything more would be petty and mean.
Ginny Schimmel
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elegant theory of the future.

The premise of eternal youth is always an enticement. The story line is well-conceived tho language is inconsistent -- sometimes very enlightening as he When he describes the process of creating bonsai trees and stilted when characters are conversing. This book underscores how science has gotten ahead of our ability to discern how to use it.
Bill Royal
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it

I enjoyed this book. It had an interesting story which the author carefully developed. I thought the ending came a bit abruptly, but that didn't really detract from the overall appeal.
Dorothy Lewis-Jones
Cicada Prophecy

After gouging on useless books I decided to try something a bit highbrow. I label this book that because the author definitely rose above my head in many instances. However I truly enjoyed this story and am looking forward to reading more by this author.
Carl Mullins
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

This was a really great book. I’d highly recommend it to anyone who loves science and the exploration of mankind.
  • Solitude (Dimension Space #1)
  • The Dreamblood Duology
  • Behind Dark Doors (one): Six Suspenseful Short Stories
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Vessel
  • The Red Harlequin - Book 1 Of Masks And Chromes
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
  • gravity breaker
  • The Phantom of the Earth (The Phantom of the Earth #1-5)
  • The Moldy Dead (The Legend of ZERO, #0.5)
  • Clay's Ark (Patternmaster, #3)
  • Extinction (Alien Invasion #6)
  • Fragmented (The Game is Life, #8)
  • Emergency Exit: 2020 (2020 Series, #1)
  • Argonauts
  • Merkiaari Wars Series: Books 1-3
  • I'd Know You Anywhere, My Love
  • The Wolves of Freydis (Carter Devereux #2)
J. R. McLeay is an Amazon top 100 author who writes standalone stories across multiple genres.

His first novel, The Cicada Prophecy, was a quarterfinalist for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award and was selected as the best science fiction book of 2015 by the review site Books, Books, and More Books.

His second novel, the crime thriller Unlucky Day, was picked up by Kindle Press within a few month
“Well, if there will always be another tomorrow, doesn’t it go hand-in-hand that there was always a yesterday?” Rick suggested.” 1 likes
“Good morning everyone,” he announced, as he strode briskly into the wood-paneled room. Each of his direct reports were dutifully assembled around a huge, glass oblong table. Surrounding them on the walls of the boardroom hung giant original expressionist paintings by various 20th century masters.” 1 likes