Start by marking “Alone In the Dark (Romantic Suspense, #17; Cincinnati, #2)” as Want to Read:
Alone In the Dark (Romantic Suspense, #17; Cincinnati, #2)

Alone In the Dark

(Romantic Suspense #17)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  3,609 Ratings  ·  292 Reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of Closer Than You Think returns with a breathtaking new novel of suspense that crosses the line between danger and desire, and justice and revenge.

Mass Market Paperback, 721 pages
Published February 2nd 2016 by Signet (first published November 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Alone In the Dark, please sign up.
Annie It'll help a lot if you read them in order, but it goes like this:

It'll help a lot if you read them in order, but it goes like this:

Marcus shows up in Closer Than You Think at the end of the book after Corrine thinks Stone is the kidnapper in the woods near Jeremy's cabin and attacks him with a shovel. Marcus shows up in the parking lot at the edge of the forest where Corrine and Firoza have just exited the forest trying to escape before the kidnapper/serial killer can catch them. Marcus arrives in a Subaru and tries to help C and F get to safety but Corrine doesn't trust him at first. Corrine is about to attack Marcus because she's scared because he "has the same features" and must be a relative of "the murderer" (who was mistaken as the kidnapper because he just happened to be in the woods looking for them). But Marcus all of a sudden got shot twice by the serial killer in a mask from across the parking lot and then Stone who was also in the Subaru tried to run over the serial killer to save everybody and then the serial killer kidnapped Roza again and got away because he shot Stone's tires and escaped. So, since both Stone and Marcus were wounded, Corrine used Stone's phone to call the police and get them to safety and when the detectives arrived it was Scarlett's first meeting with Marcus and Stone. (and that's the short version, there are many more details I cut out.)

Does that help?(less)
Debbie I would recommend reading Closer Than you think before you read this one as it will then explain the relationships between the characters & it…moreI would recommend reading Closer Than you think before you read this one as it will then explain the relationships between the characters & it sets the storyline that links these two books. You maybe able to work out a rough link between the characters but personally I think you're always better to read the books in the order they're published. Hope this helps you.(less)

Kathleen
Evil Villain ~ 5 Stars
Romance Rating ~ 4 Stars
Heat Level ~ 3 Stars
Ending ~ 5 Stars
Overall Rating ~ 4.5 It Seemed Like The Right Thing To Do Stars!

Alone in the Dark Is the second book in this series and let me tell you, it was a long ass book that took me 13 says to read. This was not an easy read either, I had to REALLY pay attention because there were so many characters and so much happening at all times.

I really enjoyed readin
Mo
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.75 STARS.

It seemed to drag a bit towards the end. But overall, an enjoyable read. Liked both main characters. Hated his name O'Bannion!! It's the little things for me sometimes.

Homicide Detective Scarlett Bishop has seen enough bad guys slip through the cracks and too many innocent victims go unavenged to know good doesn't always prevail. So far she’s been able to lock away her rage and her vigilante fantasies. That lock is about to break.

Former Army Ranger Marcus O'Bannion is a fierce c
Jonetta
Newspaper publisher Marcus O'Bannion has a secret mission of restoring justice to those for whom the system has failed. Detective Scarlett Bishop has a similar vigilante streak but given that she's part of that system, she keeps it in check. That is until she meets up again with Marcus.

The crime this time is insidious as it involves human trafficking, more like bondage or slavery. I liked that we get not only Marcus and Scarlett's points of view but those of several villains. Even though we kno
CD {Boulder Blvd}
This is book #2 in the Cincinnati series and although I would recommend reading book #1, Closer Than You Think (it's a really good book); this book stands on its own.

And does it stand on its own. Wow! I loved this book - page after page of awesome writing to devour.

I'm going to get on a soapbox - my value for the money soapbox. I'm so tired of really expensive short books that bring nothing to the table, or 1 book divided into a thousand parts published every month or so, or books that are so
Emma♔☯ (Bookishfix)
*Trigger warning: Human Trafficking, Violence, Torture*
"The man. His wife. They.." She averted her eyes, ashamed. "They own us"

If you have read any of my reviews on Karen Rose and her books you would know how obsessed i am with this woman and her phenomenal writing. She is a romance/suspense/thriller writer and very quickly became one of my favourite authors. I'm slowly collecting all her books, and was so wrapped when i received confirmation from Net Galley to review her latest book - because
Julie
The story has many twists, incredible revelations, hot romance, and a stunning outcome. The author combines romance with family drama and crime drama, which sounds like an unlikely combination, but it works. This story is not for the faint of heart, as several uncomfortable topics are addressed, and of course it’s a little gritty, which means plenty of violence.

If you like uncompromising crime stories with lots of action and suspense, but also enjoy a human interest element, with a little roman
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
This is the second book in the Corcoran/Cincinnati series and I enjoyed it immensely. I will say though that I didn't love it as much as the last one, the first one in the series, which was absolutely the bomb! I liked both the hero and heroine, but didn't love them, and the crime also was a like, but not love. Overall, very enjoyable. Karen Rose is an auto buy for me, and I am very much looking forward to the next book.
Linda Strong
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Homicide Detective Scarlett Bishop and Marcus O'Bannion, owner of the local newspaper meet again over the dead body of a young girl who had asked for his help.

Even though he is a witness, Marcus somehow wheedles his way into a criminal investigation that leads them straight to a human trafficking ring.

Both of them are fierce champions of victims' right and both are ready to do whatever it takes to find all the people involved and shut them down once and for all.

There is plenty of mystery and sus
Lesley Book Lover
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 16000
Karen Rose does it again, what an amazing storyline this was. A very powerful subject dealing with human trafficking, it amazes me how she gets into the heads of such sick evil people, I felt like crying in some parts, such awful things happening, but at least there was a little humour to help keep my sanity. Truly brilliant.
Anita
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-supense
SLAVERY . Human trafficking is slavery. To call slavery human trafficking is nothing short of putting lipstick on a very dirty pig, and that is insulting the pig. Until people start calling this heinous crime what it is it will continue. I get that slavery is not the politically correct term, but then, I'm not a politically correct person. I'm calling out all authors for this. I love Karen Rose that she at least acknowledged that, unlike like many others. Her story in this book is more about wa ...more
Sophia
I first encountered this author's work when I read this books predecessor in the series. It was this huge, chunk of a book, but it was full of all things good for those who enjoy psychological thriller romances or darker romantic suspenses. It gave me the taste for more and particularly more with the team of good guys I encountered in Closer Than You Think so it was not a hard choice to snap up this next book.

It naturally follows the last book and establishes the inter-personal relationships fr
☕ Kimberly
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Five reasons to grab Alone in the Dark

Trigger Warning: This case deals with human trafficking, torture and there is violence. (view spoiler)
Lainy
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 10 days on and off

Pages - 608

Publisher - Headline

Blurb from Goodreads

Former Army Ranger Marcus O'Bannion and homicide cop Scarlett Bishop have met only briefly but when Scarlett receives a phone call in the middle of the night, she immediately recognises the hauntingly smooth voice asking her to meet him in one of Cincinnati's roughest areas.

On arriving, Scarlett finds the body of a seventeen-year-old Asian girl and Marcus injured. A fierce champion of victims' rights, Marcu
Sheyla ✎
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017

“ I couldn’t leave her alone in the dark ”

Nine months have gone by when Alone in the Dark begins. Both characters were introduced in Closer Than You Think.

Marcus O'Bannion is an ex-army Ranger. He suffered serious injuries while he was trying to protect a woman nine months ago. Now, he suspects another woman is in serious danger. A chance encounter at the park leads him to fear for Tala's life. He convinces her to meet him and to tell him how he can help her. When Tala agrees he calls the wo
Anne OK
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Karen Rose delivers the second installment in her Cincinnati series in a lengthy but first-rate complex and pulse-pounding psychological thriller. The villains are no less dark and twisted and crazed than you would expect. Rose definitely uses the true meaning of evil to the fullest extent in creating each and every one.

Both of our protagonists, who met briefly in the first book of this series, Closer Than You Think, are wonderfully appealing. Marcus O’Bannion owns a newspaper that serves as a
Terri Wino
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: year-2016
I really enjoy Karen Rose's books. They always have interesting, strong characters. I love how peripheral characters in one book become the main protagonists in another book, while she seamlessly introduces new characters who have a connection to the current story...and you just know will turn up in the next book. I also love that she gives you little glimpses of past couples from previous books as a sort of shout out to what happened to them after their story was told.

Alone in the Dark was a gr
Anne - Books of My Heart
Early review at The Book Nympho:

Karen Rose might very well be my favorite romantic suspense author. I never get bored or lose interest and her books are looooong. Her characters are so real to me. They may not be perfectly realistic with some horrible things happening and some characters have unbelievable money or contacts, but they have diversity and dimension. They make me feel.

Marcus and Scarlett, in this book, have faced some horrible things in their p
Elizabeth
****WARNING: This book contains graphic violence and sexual content that is definitely not suitable for readers under the age of 18. Because of the nature of the physical and sexual violence, the content may be uncomfortable for some readers****

ALONE IN THE DARK is a remarkably complex read. I can easily compare it to a dish of lasagna. There are many layers of mystery, intrigue, danger and suspense beautifully and intricately placed. Every layer just as important and vital to the plot as the ne
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Karen Rose can weave a story with so many characters and plots flawlessly. Even a simple scene of a group of people sitting around a table talking, bantering back and forth just flows effortlessly. She is for sure a talented author.

My problem is the stories aren't as engaging as they used to be. I miss her serial killer themed books. Of course that's a personal preference and others may like the story arc in this one. As I stated earlier one of her best qualities is having so many characters in
Dawn ♥ romance
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
I enjoyed this romantic suspense but after the beginning excitement it was slow going with all the negative ruminating on anger, guilt, tragedy and evil. I almost gave up but I'm glad I didn't. I started skimming all but dialog then the story really picked up. The second half was definitely worth the read. Newsman Marcus asks detective Scarlet to back him up when he goes to a bad part of town.
Keri
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I knew by page 85 that this book was going to be an all nighter and I was correct. I saw 4:30 this morning, but dang this book was good. A lot of twist and turns with the usual Karen Rose style. It took me awhile to work my way up to reading it because I knew at times it was going to be heart-wrenching and it was. The theme for this book was human traffic, a tragic and true event for sure. I am curious as to who our next couple will be, she has at least 3 for us to choose from.
Maggie Boyd
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Unbelievable villains, the authors detail orientation turning into TMI, and problems with pacing kept this from being a stellar romantic suspense read for me. See my full review at http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookRev...
Frances
really exciting continuation of this series
Sarina Morrhaye
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, thriller, 2017
BAM... Opnieuw een knalprestatie van Karen Rose. Het verhaal is opnieuw zo geniaal in elkaar gestoken dat het een echte pageturner is. En dan Scarlett en Marcus.... Wauw... jaja... daar moeten kinderen van verder komen hé 😉 Hup Karen, begin maar aan het volgende deel te schrijven van deze reeks.
Mojca
They met nine months ago when he woke up in a hospital bed with a hole in his lung. She was captivated by his voice, he by her honeysuckle smell. Neither has forgotten about the other, but neither had made a move either. Now, they're thrust together again in the investigation of a young woman's murder, but this time they just might give it a go...If they make it out alive.

The "incident" in which we met Marcus O'Bannion was a minor plot point in the previous book, Closer Than You Think, but the s
Kerry Bridges
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Marcus O'Bannion meets a young girl in a park. She won't come near him so he starts to sing. It takes a bit of time but she finally agrees to meet him. Unfortunately, Marcus isn't the only one there. Who was Tala and why was she so desparate to get away? What made it safer for her to be alone in the dark? Marcus and Detective Scarlett Bishop must find out, before the monster in the dark finds them first.

This is the second book in Karen Rose's Cincinnati series which started with "Closer Than You
Maria
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One young victim in a dark alley...Who is she? Why did she needed help? Was she alone? What is Malaya? More important... Why did they kill her?
These are just a few of the questions you will have at the beginning of the book, more and more after you enter inside the book, but of course the answers are waiting for you at the end...
Ready for the darkness?
I can say that I have read almost all of Karen Rose's books, some are more dark than others, but all of them with their own suspense and strong c
Debbie
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazon Description
Homicide Detective Scarlett Bishop has seen enough bad guys slip through the cracks and innocent victims go unavenged to know that good doesn't always prevail. So far she’s been able to lock away her rage and her vigilante fantasies. That lock is about to break.

Former Army Ranger Marcus O'Bannion is a fierce champion of victims’ rights. His secret past gives him good reason. He believes he’s seen the depths of human depravity, but then his investigation into the murder of a yo
Darcy
There was so much going on in this one and it didn't seem like a lot of it would connect, but as the story unraveled you started to see all the ties.

Marcus and Scarlett were so cute together with their secret crushes on each other. I liked how they acted around each other and finally clued in the other. It was the much needed levity needed from the dark story matter trafficking in people.

I was a bit worried at the start with all that Marcus was hiding, mostly because we didn't know what it was
Susa
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, 2017
If I could I would give 10 stars! It was such a great book! A real pageturner that I didn't want to put down. The story begins a little bit 'calm' but is gathering speed real fast! It was fascinating to read how Scarlett and Marcus find every puzzle piece, put it together and in the end they see the hole picture.
Scarlett is an amazing woman and Marcus is her perfect counterpart.
And I really really wished, I would be able to hear Marcus voice, hear him singing! ;-)

This is book Nr 17 in the susp
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question P 6 7 Aug 14, 2017 06:48PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 4 5 Aug 08, 2017 06:53PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 2 5 Aug 08, 2017 06:52PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 4 5 Aug 08, 2017 06:49PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question O 2 5 Aug 08, 2017 06:44PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 2 5 Aug 08, 2017 06:41PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 2 7 Aug 08, 2017 06:39PM
  • Barefoot with a Bad Boy (Barefoot Bay Undercover, #3; Barefoot Bay Universe, #14)
  • Dead By Midnight: An I-Team Christmas (I-Team #7.5)
  • Hot as Hell (Deep Six 0.5)
  • The Way Home (One-Eyed Jacks #2)
  • Black at Heart (Black CATs, #3)
  • Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5)
  • Guarded (Tidewater, #2)
  • Critical Pursuit (Critical Pursuit, #1)
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
  • Mercy (Beartooth, Montana, #5)
  • Free Fall (Elite Force, #4)
  • Shattered Duty (Deadly Ops, #3)
  • Kill Without Mercy (ARES Security, #1)
  • No Ordinary Man
  • In the Company of Wolves (SWAT, #3)
  • Out of the Blue (Stewart Sisters, #2)
OFFICIAL WEBSITE:
www.karenrosebooks.com

Internationally bestselling, RITA-award winning, author Karen Rose was born and raised in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC. She met her husband, Martin, on a blind date when they were seventeen and after they both graduated from the University of Maryland, (Karen with a degree in Chemical Engineering) they moved to Cincinnati, Ohio. Karen worked as an e

Romantic Suspense (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Don't Tell (Romantic Suspense, #1; Chicago, #1)
  • Have You Seen Her? (Romantic Suspense, #2)
  • I'm Watching You (Romantic Suspense, #3; Chicago, #2)
  • Nothing To Fear (Romantic Suspense, #4; Chicago, #3)
  • You Can't Hide (Romantic Suspense, #5; Chicago, #4)
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6; Chicago, #5)
  • Die For Me (Romantic Suspense, #7; Daniel Vartanian, #1)
  • Scream for Me (Romantic Suspense, #8; Daniel Vartanian, #2)
  • Kill For Me (Romantic Suspense, #9; Daniel Vartanian, #3)
  • I Can See You (Romantic Suspense, #10; Minneapolis, #1)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
“Incredulous, Marcus just looked at him. 'Are you kidding me? You have stormed enemy bunkers with bullets flying all over the damn place.' Marcus should know - he'd been shoulder-to-shoulder with Diesel every time. 'Are you seriously trying to tell me you're scared of "women stuff"? What the hell, Diesel? Just . . . what the hell?” 0 likes
“without batting an eye. She hated how much” 0 likes