Start by marking “Going Against the Grain - Italian Style!: A Gluten-Free Life Guide and Recipe Book for Staying Healthy and Eating Amazingly!” as Want to Read:

This two-part book is a vital adjunct to any home attempting to be gluten-free. The first part guides you through early diagnosis and is an essential guide for any beginner diagnosed with celiac disease or some form of gluten sensitivity. You will learn how to identify symptoms of the disease, how celiac disease is diagnosed, and the consequences if left untreated. It will ...more
Kindle Edition
Published January 7th 2015 (first published November 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Going Against the Grain - Italian Style!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Against the Grain - Italian Style!

Teresa
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow anyone who thinks they may have a problem with Gluten needs to grab this book, and if not grab this book for the recipes. I personally pretty much ruled out celiac disease, as my stomach problems from this book, it is a wealth of information. I have heard about celiac disease and Gluten sensitivity, but never had a good understanding of it. I have a really good understanding now. I really loved how she explained it all in laymans terms instead of medical mumbo jumbo I cannot understand.
I n
Vicki
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I don’t have a problem with gluten but know a few people who do. I was surprised to learn through this book that if you celiac disease there is a lot more to managing it than just avoiding gluten.

The first part of the book is a wealth of information about celiac disease from the symptoms to how to manage it on a daily basis. The author tells what celiac disease is, what the symptoms are, about her diagnosis, how to manage it, how to read food labels, what other health problems can occur due to c
LAWonder10
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Do you truly understand the severity of Gluten intolerance?
Are you - or someone you know - having problems with gluten products or have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease? If so, this book contains a wealth of information and wonderfully illustrated and delicious gluten-free recipes!

Author Nuccia Ardagna, not only shares with readers her personal experience with Gluten and the knowledge she has gained, but includes 123 mouthwatering Italian gluten-free dishes!.

Gluten intolerance is problem muc
Kathleen Kelly
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that can occur in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine.  It is estimated to affect 1 in 100 people worldwide.  Two and one-half million Americans are undiagnosed and are at risk for long-term health complications.

When people with celiac disease eat gluten (a protein found in wheat, rye and barley), their body mounts an immune response that attacks the small intestine. These attacks lead to da
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know a few people who have Celiac Disease and up until now I thought that they just have to stay away from gluten, but until I read this book I did not realize to what extent and how deeply it can affect one's life. Going Against the Grain is the perfect guide for someone who has just been diagnosed with Celiac, suspects they have the disease or who knows someone in their family who has it and wants to learn more.

Nuccia tells of her own experience of how she was diagnosed and then proceeds to
Angela Thompson
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ardagna devotes a large portion of the book to sharing information about living gluten free. She discusses her own celiac disease diagnosis and offers a number of tips for transitioning to a gluten free lifestyle in a gluten filled world. Her writing style is very open, honest, and conversational. She relates very well to readers facing a life changing, dietary change--and takes a lot of the fear and negativity out of the change. Italian comfort foods are a big part of many our diets and, with a ...more
Debra Schoenberger
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I looked forward to reading this cookbook by Nuccia because I am gluten intolerant and am always looking for new ways to improve my diet.

She begins with her own story about how she was diagnosed with celiac's disease and the measures both she and her family took to adjust to a new lifestyle that would help her feel better and heal. There is a section entitled "what is celiac disease?, what are the symptoms?, can celiac disease lead to other health problems and when will I start to feel better?"
Freda Mans-Labianca
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I do not have a reason to eat gluten-free. However, when I do eat gluten-free foods, I feel a difference in how I digest my food. I have always had digestion problems. Some foods just don't sit well or feel extremely heavy in my stomach. Eating less processed, more organic and yes, gluten-free foods have definitely helped. When given an opportunity to try new recipes that are gluten-free, I jumped at it.
Ironically, my hubby is Italian, and he also loves cake. It didn't take me very long to figur
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
It seems like Glutten-free is all over now days, but for some people they only do it because they have too. Those with Celiac disease have too and it’s not real fun when you can figure out how to cook things without glutten. I have a friend who has it and she says it so expensive to buy things without glutten. So it’s great to see more cookbooks that are helping these people.

The author of this book in Part one talks about her battle with Celiac disease and how to make sure your environment is fr
Rhiannon Johnson
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read my full review here http://www.ivoryowlreviews.blogspot.c...

I am lucky enough to not have a gluten allergy or celiac disease but I have several friends and acquaintances who do. While they are forced to follow certain dietary restrictions, I am simply interested in new recipes and ideas to inspire me to reduce my family's gluten intake. The author begins this book with her and her family's stories of why they needed to make changes to their diets. She then shares valuable insight into how y
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I'll admit it...I'm a cookbook addict. I love all these amazing recipes and being able to try them out for my family.

Now we do not have to be gluten free in my household, but that doesn't mean that those that need to live without gluten can't enjoy delicious foods too. There is a whole first section that discusses how to live a gluten free life and how to handle each meal and other occasions. with as many people now that can't tolerate gluten there are many options available.

There is a wide vari
Barbara Rindge
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Being that I am not gluten-intolerant, I wasn’t sure I’d be a good candidate to review this beautiful cookbook by Nuccia Ardagna, a celiac patient who happens to have deep roots in Italy! But because I am following the Dash diet which emphasizes lots of vegetables, fruit and lean meats, I knew that I would love these recipes! Nuccia, like me, grew up in an Italian family where Mamma and Nonna were excellent cooks, and therefore we know what good food is all about! When Nuccia was diagnosed with ...more
Sarah Rehmatullah
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: iread-book-tours
I do not suffer from any allergies, although I did once suspect I may, when I was bloated or cramped following consumption of bread or pasta. I was tested by the doctor, but all the tests came back as normal. I am aware that cutting out gluten from your diet is beneficial. As my favourite food is Italian, I wondered how I would accomplish the mission. Thus I am grateful to find Ardagna's cookbook to guide me through eliminating gluten and continuing to enjoy delicious Italian food. Going against ...more
Create With Joy
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
GIVEAWAY: For a chance to WIN 1 of 2 copies of Going Against The Grain – Italian Style, visit Create With Joy and enter the Rafflecopter Giveaway by 5/29/15. Full details on blog; giveaway open to residents of the US and Canada, except where prohibited by law.

If you love Italian food, but feel that you can no longer enjoy your favorite Italian dishes because you are now restricted to a gluten-free diet, I have good news for you!

Nuccia Ardagna – a lifestyle blogger who was diagnosed with celiac d
Brooke Showalter (Brooke Blogs)
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Reviewed for Brooke Blogs.

Going Against the Grain by Nuccia Ardagna is a cookbook focusing on gluten free Italian cuisine. While we do not eat a gluten free diet in our home, I think that eating gluten free can be beneficial, even for those without celiac disease. This book provides a lot of information relating to celiac disease and a gluten free lifestyle. Much of the information was new to me. This book was very easy to understand.

I liked that the book contained a variety of recipes, from ap
Darcy
Dec 15, 2018
Rosemary Anderson
Dec 29, 2015
elaine
Feb 21, 2016
Nuccia Ardagna
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Gia
Simona MRArchie
Jan 04, 2019
Carolyn
Feb 16, 2019
Growing up in an Italian home (more specifically a Sicilian one) cooking and eating was one of those things that we enjoyed doing the most!

Sitting around the table and chatting about anything and everything are moments I will always treasure!

The house was always full and baking and cooking was a part of our daily life.

When I was diagnosed with celiac disease, I felt like a big part of my life chan