Start by marking “The Labyrinth Makers” as Want to Read:
The Labyrinth Makers

The Labyrinth Makers (Dr David Audley & Colonel Jack Butler #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  200 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
David Audley is an unlikely spy. True, he works for England's Ministry of Defense, but strictly as a back-room man, doing meticulous research on the Middle East. This new assignment, then, comes as something of a surprise: A WWII-era British cargo place has been discovered at the bottom of a drained lake, complete with the dead pilot and not much else. Why are the Soviets ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Felony & Mayhem (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Labyrinth Makers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Labyrinth Makers

Susan
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, the first in the series, is set 25 years after WWII. David Audley is a desk man in British intelligence, who is suddenly asked to go into the field. During the war, a pilot was smuggling from war torn Berlin to Britain. He intended to do one last haul, of something so valuable that Russia have been searching for it ever since. His plane crashed on the way home and the pilot,the plane and the secret hoarde disappeared with him. Now, the plane has suddenly been unearthed, and the story ...more
^
For anyone with an agile brain this is a tense and thoroughly un-putdown-able thriller. I’m not going to write a review here, because a great review has already been written by Nick Jones; at http://www.existentialennui.com/2011/... Please respect his copyright © 2007–2016 Nick Jones.
Margaret
Reasonably interesting (especially once I found out what the treasure was), but not enough to get me to read the others in the series. Also, I really only have to hear once how flat-chested the hero's love interest is, please, Mr. Price.
DGT
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
David Audley is a reluctant field agent (and lover) when a Second World War Dakota reappears in a drained lake in Lincolnshire in the late 1960s. This event attracts spies in a Cold War drama which has a few intriguing twists and turns. The broad mores of the late 1960s come across but the social and political feel of the age is disappointingly thin, particularly given that Price pitches his contribution at the historical and research end of the spy-genre. The Audley-Faith Steerforth relationshi ...more
Derek
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well-written espionage novel set during the Cold War. It has links to archaeology and WW2, but the majority of the action, such as it is, is set in the late 1960's, I would guess.

It's the first in a long-running series that I've had recommended to me several times, so I decided to finally give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised by the characterization and the quality of the writing. While there is very little action per se (ie. car chases or explosions) there is a lot of subter
Ville Halonen
A ham-fisted first novel severely lacking in structure and hampered by a silly romantic side plot that is almost too prominent to be left only in secondary role.

On the plus side, the character of David Audley showed some promise, in that his approaches to interviewing people were quite varied and uncontrolled. He often does what he didn't want to do, and while it doesn't affect the book significantly—which is a fault—it does add to his character, and to the overall feeling of humanity and fragil
Pat Timpanaro
I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked the two main characters and enjoyed the plot, but found the writing to be ponderous and not fun to read. Also, and this is a personal issue, the physical book I got from the library was very dense -- small font, small margins, and physically tiring to read.

However, the plot was intriguing enough that I have requested the next in the series from the library.
Michele
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, espionage
Meh. At only 200+ pages, there wasn't enough plot or character development enough to really love this novel. I felt that, given more time, it could have been developed into a great story, but just fizzled out and too many plot holes were conveniently filled up in the last twenty pages. I liked it enough to read the next in the series, but if this trend continues that will be the end of it for me.
Tom Lloyd
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly enjoyable - a nice quiet tone Cold War novel reminiscent in parts of le Carre. It's older than me however so there are a few old fashioned attitudes, esp regarding women, that jar, while the ending rushed up on me somewhat however much I was looking forward to it. As a first novel it was very good however and certainly enough to make me want to read on - an interesting premise and well worked through which is crucial for a cold war novel.
Elizabeth
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This story brings back the days of the Cold War 25 years after end of WWII. The main protagonist is Dr Audley who is an expert on the Middle East but who is called to use his admirable sleuthing capabilities in a case of a fighter pilot believed lost at sea who. Is actually found in a drained lake. This is an excellent tale.
Tom Allman
I read this short gem in about 6 hours. For a first novel I felt that he pulled it off rather well. Interesting Hero and a slightly less interesting villian. I'm guessing Mr. Price as well as his Protagonist, David Audley, are very uncomfortable with women. Definately an entertaining page turner on a rainy June afternoon.
Julian King
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reality of post-war espionage in all its shades of grey is credibly brought to life by Price through the character of his reluctant hero David Audley, more a middle class Harry Palmer than any sort of James Bond. I'll definitely read 'em all.
Roxane
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Good book - though it was a bit slow going at times as there are a lot of details to take in....
Debra
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book on tape, a bit dated--British spy novel of the sixties. Less James Bond, more accessible than Le Carre.
Yuksel
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book... I enjoyed it very much. This is the first Anthony Price book that I have read. I am looking forward to reading his other books soon.
Steven Bass
Apr 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Not bad. Read it based on Jo Walton's review
Mark
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure the human relationships were all that realistic but the spycraft seemed quite good.
Amanda Wright
Aug 09, 2013
L. Johnson
Oct 16, 2016
Andy48
rated it did not like it
May 18, 2017
Russ
Oct 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Rose of Tibet
  • Midnight Plus One (Crime Masterworks)
  • Last Seen Wearing
  • What Bloody Man Is That?
  • Frequent Hearses (Gervase Fen, #7)
  • Sadie When She Died (87th Precinct, #26)
  • Smallbone Deceased (Inspector Hazelrigg, #4)
  • Beast In View
  • Bertie And The Tinman (Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, #1)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)
  • The Best of Father Brown
  • Hammett
  • Malice Aforethought
  • Summer Half
  • Green for Danger
  • The Devil in Velvet (1994 Ed)
  • Hamlet, Revenge! (Sir John Appleby, #2)
  • Gideon's Day (Gideon, #1)
Born in Hertfordshire in 1928, Price was educated at King's School, Canterbury, and Oxford. His long career in journalism culminated in the Editorship of the Oxford Times. His literary thrillers earned comparisons to the best of Graham Greene, Ernest Hemingway, and Robert Goddard.
More about Anthony Price...

Dr David Audley & Colonel Jack Butler (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Alamut Ambush