Start by marking “The Alchemist's Flame (The Final Formula Series, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Alchemist's Flame (The Final Formula Series, #3)

The Alchemist's Flame

(The Final Formula #3)

Now that the local hospital is using her burn salve, master alchemist Addie Daulton has become a celebrity. The positive press will go a long way in helping her redeem alchemy’s reputation, but Addie wishes the media would stop calling her the Flame Lord’s alchemist. She doesn’t need his sanction to validate her skills. Besides, having the name of the city’s premier Elemen ...more
Published February 8th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Alchemist's Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alchemist's Flame

cEe beE
This is one of those few times I loved the first book, had high hopes for the rest of the series only to have it fall flat on its face. *sigh*

After the Sookie Stackhouse/TrueBlood series, other contemporary paranormal book series sprouted up like mushrooms. Some good, many bad. Most of them like their predecessor, the sequels became stale and repetitive after the 3rd or 4th volume. This one started to spoil at the 2nd one.

I thought the initial premise held a lot of promise. Unfortunately, the w
Skk6+Groktest
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
GOOD !!
Kristen Otte
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Alchemist's Flame is another fun, action packed adventure with Addie. I loved the urban fantasy world that Becca Andre has created. Throughout each book, she slowly reveals one more layer of the world. The pacing is great. I never want to stop reading, and the dialogue keeps you laughing while you read. Love this series!
Randy
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the continuing story
Caitlin
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, adult
This series continues to be fun and exciting. Highly recommend if you are looking for a unique fantasy read that avoids the typical tropey relationship pitfalls like lack of communication and prolonged angst.
Lesley
4.5. The Final Formula books are so fun and easy to read!

Plot:
At first, things were starting to look up again for Addie. Her burn salve was working better than ever, she’s rebuilding her trust in Ian, and (perhaps most importantly) Rowan is no longer shunning her. Then everything kind of goes to pot. She learns that Neil is planning something big, Gavin (in Brian’s body) is no longer captive in the world of the dead, and Rowan is losing control of his powers. And, as you would expect, she takes
Cari Hislop
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a third book in a series you really need to read the other books first (including the short stories) otherwise it won't make sense. That aside, if you've enjoyed the other books you will have to read this one to find out what happens next. I love the characters. I love Andre's magic world and the various types of magical characters. I, a zombie bigot, have become a fan...at least of Andre's zombies and Necromancers...Ian Mallory in particular. Addie is brilliant. The Flame Lord is lovely, but ...more
Gwynn White
Forget Master Alchemist . . .Becca Andre is a Master Storyteller!

Genius, that is the word that springs to mind as I think about this book (and all the others in the series). Becca Andrew has crafted a plot so intricate, a world so believable, and a magic lore so fascinating that I truly stand in awe of her talent. She is anything but Untalented! She has won her place in my heart as my all-time favourite indie author. Pure brilliance.

The book picks up quite quickly after the last in the series, b
Diane Lang
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series has turned into one of my favorites. I love Addie! She is a refreshingly unique character who is turning out to have a great deal of heart. Her sidekick, James the Grim, is back with his partner in crime, Elysia, as well as Rowan and the other Elements. We learn more about Ian and his long lost family in this book. Necromancers, both evil and good, play a big role too.

Addie's quirky sense of humor and independent spirit are challenged again by the machinations of some very unpleasan
Lisa P
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's so hard to say which characters I'm changing my opinion of most- Ian, Cora, Doug, or Wayland. Elysia and other characters introduced in FF2.5 are seamlessly integrated into the story. There are also new Element characters introduced which put a spin on things. Neil, Xander, and Gavin continue to do their thing with devastating consequences. Each book- and the novellas- continues to reveal more layers and connections.
Janet Arroyo
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Addie

This is an excellent book. I love the characters. The storyline is great and cohesive. There is plenty of action and magic. The story involves the love and commitment of friends and family. The bad guy is totally wicked. Becca Andre has done an AwEsOmE job with this series. I hope the series is not done because I want more. I will definitely recommend this to all my friends.
Becca Andre
Feb 11, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-stuff
Available everywhere ebooks are sold! Print book coming soon.
Nikki
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
A Truly Exceptional Series

I do love this series, it just keeps getting better and better. In book 3 there are even more twists and turns, and even some surprises. Again, this is a fast paced book, with what seems like continuous action. All the characters are written so believably and the world building is exceptional. Becca Andre certainly has a way with words.

In this book, we are introduced to a few new characters, some of which, I have a feeling, we are going to see more of. Addie, as usual,
Chelsey Nixon
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
#SpoilerWarrior

This story is incredibly complex, with so many plot twists. Sometimes I’m nervous that it will turn out that I’m the bad guy. Who knows who it could be next.

As always, running thoughts:

I feel like a lot has happened between the ending of the last book and this book. I probably should have read the novella.

Okay I feel like I’m missing too much. I’m going to pause and go read the novella.

Okay, nevermind. Pretty sure that the novella isn’t going to catch me up on what is happening wi
Jan Niblock
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book of the series really is full of action. You learn more about the characters and what they are capable of, especially Addie. What is amazing is that she keeps finding out more about herself all of the time and in the end of the book she comes to a very profound realization.

The entire Mallory/Nelson family is very complicated and it seems to get more so with each book. You find that you are not sure which family members are the “good” ones and which are just downright evil. Their f
Cheryl
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! There is so much going on in this book and so many story lines and twists! Addie, Rowan, James, Ian, Elysia, Donovan, Cora, Era and even Doug are trying to change many things. Doug wants to help Elysia because he created a problem. So much action, humor, romance. Learn about Ian’s past and his relationship to Elysia . Learn about the Element families and the conference to be taking place. Neil and Xander are up to no good and creating evil. Many characters are learning to get alo ...more
C. Erani Kole
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This definitely took a turn towards Addie's past, and I'm glad its finally being looked at more closely. I love seeing everyone adjust and still accept her despite all the bad things that happened in the past books. The writing style was great, everything flowed, and it's a new way to look at the Others. It's a world full of things I've known and am constantly surprised about when something happens. Addie has major character development and she only seems to be getting better, though this one di ...more
Jessica
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
More action-packed paranormal fun with some good continuing character development. I do get lost in Andre's rules about who (alchemists, Elements, necromancers, lich kings, ghoul masters, hellhounds, etc etc) can do what with their powers and in what specific circumstances, but am able to enjoy the story anyway. I will definitely be continuing with this series.
Lisa Rector
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not tired of this yet!

Still super love this series! This world keeps getting deeper and more developed. Love ALL the characters, even the new ones. The chemistry between all of them is amazing.
Jennifer Roth
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Smokin' series!

The relationships between the characters is evolving so well, it's hard to stop reading! Love the addition of a magical librarian. On to the next book!
sue
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just brilliant.

The series has kept my interest and allowed me to immerse myself.
Becca Andre is a very skilled author and I can't wait to read the rest of Addies story. Xx
Katie
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The Alchemist's Flame was a big let down for me. I still like the story itself but there were a lot of inconsistencies. At one point James and Elysia find out something they already knew in the previous novella. It wasn't like they were hiding it, they actually acted like they didn't know. Another instance, there was a fire and it wasn't until he guy with the heightened senses turned around that they found out the house was on fire. How is it they couldn't smell it? Last complaint is that there ...more
Mary B. Grove
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
a good book that's slightly unbalanced

I never thought I'd complain about having too much happen in a book, but now I know why it's a problem. There's a needful balance between plot, character/relationship developing and world-building. If too much writing energy goes into making the characters do things, there isn't enough to sustain the other aspects of the story. This book has a touch of that issue. To some degree, the characters are being developed and the bonds between them strengthened and
Kim
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend the Final Formula series to urban fantasy fans who enjoy smart female protagonists, a cast of great characters, an exciting plot that will keep you reading, and dialogue that will make you laugh. The Alchemist's Flame is yet another great installment (the third full novel), though I highly recommend you read all of the previous books or you will be pretty confused.

All of the characters are distinctly lovable in this book, and I even found myself warming up to characters I prev
Nonsequitorian
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another good read. There were a couple of moments where something didn't quite make sense (example: Big meeting is planned, but there's no agenda or reason for the meeting. Despite the risks involved in exposing that many high level people to potential terrorist attack, nothing is ever explained about why the meeting needed to be held in the first place. Reason for meeting therefore appears to be to give the bad guys something to sabotage.)

Also, there is yet another sequel necessary to complete
Shiloh
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Alchemist's Flame does a really good job of balancing ongoing subplots (will Addie ever manage to heal Rowan? What exactly are the Necromancers up to?) with new main- and subplots and characters. As with all the books and novellas in this series so far, the character development is smooth and believable without those frustrating (illogical) setbacks that so many other authors use just to keep the tension up. I'm really enjoying this series and I'm not just saying that because Becca's a frien ...more
Ollivier
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is not a secret, I'm not fond of zombies (and thus it is not easy to read books about necromancy w/o zombies) but fortunately, there are not that many in Becca's series although we get plenty of necromancers.

I just love the series, both world and characters are nice and fun, lots of humour there and in the 3rd book, we get to learn more on both Ian and Addie. This book is full of action and twists and will leave you yearning for more.

Another well done, thanks!
Leah Speller
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book I must give a warning. Must have a carton of tissues where ever you are!!

Yep Becca is great at pulling the heartstrings whether it be good or bad. I enjoy how much she gets our attachment to each of the characters so much so you don't want to see any of them disappear.

I am enjoying how each of the characters are growing and still developing. With other books I have read in these type ot series normally the growth stops. .
Mike Wallace
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Not her best work. I felt the story got off track in the middle and the ending seemed to be in spite of who the main character was in the story and what she did or didn't do. It seemed to happen regardless of whether the MC was there or not.

That being said, all the books before this were really good and I'm hoping she'll get herself back in the zone with the next installment.
Alison
Too short!

Wow this book has everything: hell hounds, Grims, Elementals, ghouls, ghosts, necromancers, alchemists, reanimated bodies ...

James has a girlfriend, Addie finds Ian's family, Rowan is having difficulty controlling his emotions, Addie wears a dress and everybody finds out secrets.

Can't wait for the next one.

• Peacemaker (The Flash Gold Chronicles, #3)
  • The Storm Bottle
  • Half Life (Russell's Attic #2)
  • Turning Tides (Elements, #3)
Becca Andre lives in southern Ohio with her husband, two children, and an elderly Jack Russell Terrier. A love of science and math (yes, she’s weird like that), led to a career as a chemist where she blows things up far more infrequently than you’d expect. Other interests include: chocolate, hard rock, and slaying things on the Xbox. She also finds writing about herself in third person a bit stran ...more

The Final Formula (5 books)
  • The Final Formula (The Final Formula #1)
  • The Blood Alchemist (The Final Formula #2)
  • The Catalyst of Corruption (The Final Formula, #4)
  • The Fifth Essence (The Final Formula Series, #5)
“Addie? What’s wrong?” “Why do you assume something’s wrong?” “Your number showed up on my caller ID.” 1 likes