Start by marking “This Jazz Man” as Want to Read:
This Jazz Man

This Jazz Man

In this toe-tapping jazz tribute, the traditional "This Old Man" gets a swinging makeover, and some of the era's best musicians take center stage. The tuneful text and vibrant illustrations bop, slide, and shimmy across the page as Satchmo plays one, Bojangles plays two . . . right on down the line to Charles Mingus, who plays nine, plucking strings that sound "divine."

Published November 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about This Jazz Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Jazz Man

Luisa Knight
This isn't just a book - it's a fun experience! Usually the CD can be skipped and the book is still enjoyable, and I'm sure this one could be too. You'd just be missing out on so much wonderfulness. The CD more than just compliments the book, it gives you an entire lesson on the various instruments and jazz sounds. So don't short yourself, put the CD in and enjoy!

Each page goes over a famous jazz musician too so your children will be able to recognize their names if/when they pop up in conversat
orangerful
The only thing that would make this better is if it came with an audio bonus that had all the instrument sounds. Or even a mp3 of the melody using jazz instruments. I'm already plotting finding a way to get the high school jazz band to visit and maybe use them in a storytime...

but even without that, this is a really fun book. Sing it to the melody of "This Old Man" and have fun with it. I did it with the toddlers today and we counted every time we turned the page and then acted out the instrumen
Becky
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Karen Ehrhardt's This Jazz Man is a fun picture book that adapts the classic song "This Old Man." This is the kind of premise that could go either way--be really, really good and clever, or be really, really bad. In my opinion, This Jazz Man is successful in its attempt to make this song swing. Like all jazz books should, it starts with Louis Armstrong.

This jazz man, he plays one,
He plays rhythm with his thumb,
With a snap! snap! snazzy-snap!
Give the man a hand,
This jazz man scats with the band.

O
Jim
May 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children of all ages
Shelves: picture-books
This is the perfect book for any child, jazz lover or not. In fact, it is really two books in one. The first is a jazzy recasting of that familiar childhood tune "This Old Man" with the eponymous geezer replaced by the great men of Jazz: Armstrong scats, Bojangles taps, and Mingus is among us. Kids will love Ehrhardt's textual rendering of musical sounds that stand in for the non-sensical "knick knack paddywhack," and be mesmerized by Roth's perfectly paired illustrations (which feature a fun g ...more
Kathi
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
As the mother of two jazz bassists, this book just made me smile. I gave copies to both of my grown sons, proof that a picture book is not just for kids. The jazzy text is a perfect match with the jazzy art.
June
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jazz requests for young children
Recommended to June by: Katie Fitzgerald
Based on "This old man." More about the famous people appearing in the story is presented in the back
Eric
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
a really fun book to read with children. written to the rhythm of 'this old man', it's verses pay tribute to some of the greatest jazz musicians, including louie armstrong, charlie parker, etc. at the end of the story there are short bios on each musician -- great for kids that want to know these guys a little better.
Maria
May 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Oooh, this book made me what to rap and tap and beedle-di-bop! Which is quite somethin', since I don't have a musical bone in my body!
This is a great book-the text jives off the page and the illustrations thimp dumple thump right along. What a great way to teach kids about jazz legends!
Hats off to Ehrdhardt and Roth for a beautiful book!
Encore!
Ruth
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids and the kid in everyone
Recommended to Ruth by: Ann
Boy, if I were good at writing jazz charts for a band, I'd want to see to it that these "alternate words" to the children's song 'This Old Man' were accompanied by a kicking jazz combo! What fun! It makes you want to run out and teach these new words to everyone you know. And the pictures are darling.
Lynn
Recommends it for: anyone
My preschool kids love this book. It's catchy, jazzy and fun! A great read-aloud.
Laurie
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Caroline Beunier
Written to the tune of nursery rhyme “This Old Man,” this super funky picture book showcases infamous jazz musicians of color. The author uses rhythm, rhyme, and repetition to individually introduce the ten men in the band. The illustrator expressively uses movement, color, and various text sizes to spell out the sounds of the ten instruments. The last couple of pages include a brief biography of each musician. CBC Diversity has recognized this book for its multiculturality, but it has not been ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: music, picture-books
A book is sing, the words fit to "This old man", but are instead "This jazz man".

There are onomatopaeic music sounds on each page, too.

The book counts 9 different jazz men and then uses 10 to show them all together. It's not really a counting book because the only page where all are on the same page is on the "10" page and there are only 9 of them.

The end matter gives lots of lovely details of the lives of the jazz men that are represented on each page. We don't even get their names in the actua
Jessie
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
The identities of the nine men aren't revealed until the end notes (which are brief biographies of them all). If you know a bit about jazz, you can guess at least a few, though.

The book is to the "tune" of "This Old Man." As in the original song, the numbers are pretty irrelevant, despite being highlighted in the text. There's nothing that ties into the numbers, even in the illustrations. The most confusing case of this is that the 10 page shows the 9 men.
Krista Clinton
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This Jazz Man is a story is a tribute to jazz players who have played different jazz instruments throughout the years. This work of nonfiction incorporates counting, has some great sounds, and vibrant illustrations. It would be great for k-1st graders and could be used in a reading classroom to promote fluency.
Molly
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This picture book takes the traditional song "This Old Man" and gives it a jazz spin while giving tribute to various jazz musicians. It's a lot of fun to read and sing. The illustrations are great as well.
Jocelyn Brame
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent counting book featuring some of the greatest jazz musicians. Engaging illustrations and great scatting. There's also a mouse children can find on every page. Wonderful historical notes in the back about each musician. Highly recommended for children ages 3-6.
Ms. Shoshana
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: song-books
Nothing wrong with this, I'm just not a sufficiently talented singer to make this jazzy; it just comes out like regular This Old Man. Also, the illustrations aren't very bright. Nice end pages about the jazz stars referenced, though!
Elisabeth
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book and I don't even like jazz. Perfect for the Summer Library Program this summer, Libraries Rock, it's fun, upbeat, and lovely to look at. There's even a mini-bio in the back of the book of each of the nine men featured in the story.
Morgan
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This could be great for math since it counts the different members of the band and integration of music will be included throughout the lesson as well.
Adynah
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
So fun!
Gwen Marie
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
Fun jazzy version of "This Old Man." The pictures and jazz theme are exciting - opportunities for interaction.
Taylor
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity
A group of jazz men play some music. Has information in the back about each of the Jazz men in this book.
Natasha
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a huge favorite with my toddler. We love books that can be sung to those familiar nursery and folk song tunes, and this one also introduces nine jazz musicians!
Becky
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everything about this book is great. The illustrations, the story, the rhythm, the scat... all of it. Also provides just enough non-fiction info after the story.
Gloria Green
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
An engaging story in rhyme highlighting the Golden Age of Jazz and Be-bop.......
Shari
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A must be sung telling of the musicians in a jazz band.
Virginia
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So clever and the art is wonderful!!! I can't wait to read this to my kindergarteners! As I was reading it, I was imagining my kindergarteners pretending to play instruments during storytime. When I got to the end and realized that each jazz man was a real musician, it made the book twice as nice! A huge round of applause for THIS JAZZ MAN! Encore! Encore!
Ms. Jeane
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun book! Especially to read during Black History month!
Lori Gravley
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A sweet book based on "This Old Man." It includes bios of some famous Jazz men in the backmatter.
  • Jazz On A Saturday Night (Coretta Scott King Honor Book)
  • Before John Was a Jazz Giant: A Song of John Coltrane
  • Acoustic Rooster and His Barnyard Band
  • The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred
  • The Bat Boy and His Violin
  • Ellington Was Not a Street
Karen Ehrhardt doesn’t play an instrument and can’t sing a lick. But she’s probably listening to music right now at her home in the California redwoods, with her husband, their bouncing baby boy, and their dog.

Karen does assemblies for Preschool, and Kindergarten through 6th grade. Karen does writing workshops with students in grades 3-6. Karen is available to travel to schools throughout Californ