Start by marking “Three Twisted Stories” as Want to Read:
Three Twisted Stories

Three Twisted Stories

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  567 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews

From the hallucinatory noir story 'Go Deep' to the twisted short stories 'Necessary Women' and 'Remmy Rothstein Toes the Line,' this collection showcases the Sunday Times No. 1 bestselling author’s dark humour, limitless imagination, and masterly command of voice and character. ('Go Deep' and 'Remmy Rothstein Toes the Line' also available as single stories and 'Necessary W

Published February 10th 2015 by Cornerstone Digital

To ask other readers questions about Three Twisted Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Twisted Stories

Karin Slaughter
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I had a blast writing these stories, which are VERY DIFFERENT from what I usually write. Oh, except there are murders in each one, but other than that, different. So you have been warned.

GO DEEP, the first novella in the collection, is satire. I actually got the idea when I woke up from a drugged sleep after slipping a disc in my back (which I do not recommend) NECESSARY WOMEN is a story I wrote years ago, and it was really the kick-off to me writing a bunch of crazy stories with killer last lin
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
With these short stories, Karin has taken imagination then given it some acid and told it to have a nice trip.

Sometimes you read a story that truly transports you to another place in record time and you can't arise from that place until the last word on the pages has been read, this was how Three Twisted Stories was for me.

It's a book of three stories, the first and third being the longest, with a shorty in the middle. NOW, if you are a fan of Karin's work, throw out any preconceived ideas of
Brenda
GO DEEP

Charlie Lam owned a car dealership; he’d risen from a “nobody” to what he called a “somebody”, the only one of his siblings to make a go of his life. But Charlie wasn’t a nice person (that’s an understatement!) and when things went terribly wrong while he was picking up a suit from the dry cleaners, his life changed irrevocably.

NECESSARY WOMEN

Fourteen years of age was not a good age to watch her mother, (not quite thirty years old) die, but when her father informed her she was to be the
Sam Quixote
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had Karin Slaughter pegged as one of those novelists who writes police procedurals with extremely detailed autopsy scenes that are inexplicably popular (Patricia Cornwell, Mo Hayder, that sort of thing). That’s why I stayed away from her writing but on a whim decided to give her a shot with this collection of three short stories. I’m so glad I did because I was blown away! She is nothing like that (at least going by these stories)!

The first of the stories is Go Deep which is set in the 1970s.
Marianne
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Three Twisted Stories consists of a novella and two short stories by popular American author, Karin Slaughter, in electronic format. Go Deep is a brand new novella, while Necessary Women and Remmy Rothstein Toes The Line have been previously published elsewhere.

Go Deep features successful car dealer, Charlie Lam, a man weighed down by responsibility, whose deal with a mobster provides a little extra he deserves, even if the arrangement, involving a suit at the dry-cleaners and a client getting a
sue
Go Deep

What a great humdinger of a story was this!
This is about Charlie. He owns a car dealership, has a wife, daughter who love to spend his hard earned money.

He has a girlfriend on the side and nearly 70 employees.
A very busy man.

There is a fast paced unexpected crime that will happen that will knock your socks off.

Necessary Women

A 14 year old girl watches her Mother die in poverty. Her Dad is a truck driver who is gone for long periods before he goes to his next destination.
She tells her dad
Christine
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just LOVE everything Karin Slaughter writes. This time, we get three short stories to get our teeth into. They are quirky and dark, and had me hooting with laughter.

The first story is of a man who owns a car dealership, Charlie Lam. He is sexist and a rather unpleasant crook. He gets a taste of his own medicine.

Story number two is of a young teenager. A girl has taken over the running of the home, following the death of her mum. We see that the girl has interesting culinary skills. I will say
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
It's been a while since I read Karin Slaughter, but this has reminded me that I should get back to her books.
A collection of three short stories, all with a twisted theme.

In the first story "Go Deep", Charlie Lam has worked hard to make something of himself. But somewhere along the way he has lost his respect for other people. Someone thinks it is time he learnt to regain that respect.

The second story "Necessary Women" was my favorite. A 15 year old motherless girl has her father's girlfriend fo
Faye
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Go Deep - 4.5/5 stars
This was a quirky, magical realism story set in the 1970s and featuring a used car salesman. Loved it.

Necessary Women - 4/5 stars
Wow that was grim. The shortest story in the anthology but it definitely packs the biggest punch.

Remmy Rothstein Toes the Line - 5/5 stars
My favourite by a long way, it was laugh out loud hilarious, and full of awesome characters. The story follows our narrator Mindy Patel as she heads out to the deep south to verify a world record for the longest
Siobhan
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are very few things in the world capable of pleasing me more than finding one of my favourite authors on NetGalley with the chance to advance read one of their books. So, to start off, I will begin with the good news. NetGalley and the publisher made my day when I was accepted to read this – honestly, thank you for that – and I jumped straight in.

Unfortunately, after reading Three Twisted Stories, I find myself giving my lowest rating to anything by Karin Slaughter that I have read.

I’ve f
Judy Collins
When award-winning crime thriller author, Karin Slaughter writes, her fans listen! When she says, “THREE TWISTED STORIES” is different, “it is”.

No worries, Karin still brings her bold, edgy, and dark humor to a collection of twisted tales, with murder of course; and creativity and imagination only she can pull off!

You have to love her; being she is my favorite female crime author, and she lives and writes about Atlanta, another added bonus, since I spent most of my career there, before moving
Three Twisted Stories is a collection of twisted short stories written by author Karin Slaughter. I'm pretty new when it comes to Ms. Slaughter's novels but what I've read so far, I've absolutely loved. So seeing this easy audiobook collection pop up at my library had me excited. As you can see below, I loved them! I can acknowledge that they may not be for everyone - you will see that from the variety of reviews - but I am definitely a fan and will be reading many more of Ms. Slaughter's books ...more
Victoria Goldman
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I don't usually read short stories, but I am a big fan of Karin Slaughter's Will Trent and Grant County series, which is why I wanted to read Three Twisted Stories.

The book contains three stories - Go Deep (the longest story, with nine chapters), Necessary Women and Remmy Rothstein Toes the Line. Each story is well written and highly readable and I didn't feel like I was missing out by not reading a longer novel.

Go Deep was my favourite of the three stories. It was a little slow to start with, b
Skip
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much like her excellent series. These three stories are appropriately titled "twisted." Go Deep is the longest and best, with real character development, delving into the age-old issue of biases, and, like a Cracker Jack box, it has a surprise inside: it probably deserves three stars. The other two are stinkers in my opinion. Necessary Women is depressing, about a girl with a horrific existence, and Remmy Rothstein, which is written in a series of diary-type entries, a format that is usually ...more
Jo Ann
Karin Slaughter is a good writer, but this collection of shorts didn't appeal to me. Just a little too much like the Twilight Zone for my taste. I'm also not a fan of dark humor that borders on the vulgar side.
Carolyn
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
These are three very different off-beat stories from master of suspense, Karin Slaughter.

The first, a novella, Go Deep, is dark, very satirical and a little bit supernatural. Charlie Lam, a car salesman is a thoroughly despicable, sexist, racist character who thinks the world owes him. You’ll love what happens to him when he gets a serve of what he deserves.

The second, very short story, Necessary Women, about a young girl stuck out in the boondocks after her mother has disappeared, is also very
Brenda
Jan 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
These were too weird. If you're a Karin Slaughter fan, I'd advise you to skip this.
Holly Vine
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Karin Slaughter. I usually walk away from her books with a sense of unrest because I know it will be a long time until I can read another. I was excited to see Three Twisted Stories pop up on my friend Julie's reading list. Yay! New stories!!

The title is apt. These stories are twisted. Go Deep left me with an uneasy, WTF? sensation. I listened to Necessary Women previously but it still disturbed me. Remmy Rothstein Toes the Line had me laughing hysterically. (Belachew Girma holds the rec
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
Omg! These were SO FUN!!! I totally ran the whole gamut of emotions (skeeved out, mortified, cracking up, etc etc)... Now THAT is some GREAT writing, eh?!

I admit, at first all I could do was miss Will & Sara & drug my literary feet a bit before reading this. WHAT A DOOFUS I AM!

Seriously, if you are doing the same thing-waste not another minute! READ. THESE. STORIES.

I loved the "Three Twisted Stories". A LOT.

Record setting potential for most twisted short story? (Inside joke).

Karin Sl
Amanda
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

For fans of the Will Trent and Grant County Series, this is probably going to come as a shock to those who favored the strictly love and mystery story lines opposed to the other readers who found the darker parts just as intriguing to read. As a Karin Slaughter reader, I fall into the latter group, and I am not shocked by the twisted and dark nature of these stories.

These stories are equal parts clever and disturbing. The only reason this is not a complete 5 stars for me is because I f
Linda
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nobody writes shorts like Karin Slaughter. Take the leap of faith! You will be rewarded by an amazing reading experience.
Rowena Hoseason
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karin Slaughter normally writes crowd-pleasing, commercial mainstream thrillers which I rarely find too interesting. So I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Three Twisted Stories, especially the longest of them, Go Deep. It’s a wickedly witty depiction of justified retribution visited upon an utterly deserving, thoroughly despicable, unreconstructed chauvinist pig.

Set three or four decades ago, Go Deep is told from the perspective of Charlie Lam – a crook, a cheat, a bully and a bit of a brute
Emma Smith
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books, 2015
Karin Slaughter is a great American crime writer. I have read most of her previous books and even had a character named after me in Broken. This was an obvious choice for me. Karin's crime novels are of a high standard and always keep you guessing. Her short stories and novellas try something a bit different. They look at the weird and wonderful and jump straight in to exploring quirky people. These Three Twisted stories are no different.

The first story is about Charlie, the used car salesman in
Noelle
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well first and foremost I cannot stress how much I love Karin Slaughters' books...except, unfortunatley, this one.
The first story, Go Deep, started off really good. I liked the characters in that they were interesting and had a certain something about them. For me, this story reminded me a lot of something Stephen King would write. I liked the plot and thought it was clever in the sense of how it developed but the ending disappointed me. I know it is a short story but felt that just a little bi
Deborah
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A short and not-too-sweet review from me this time. Sadly.

I love Karin Slaughter. I struggled a little with Cop Town - which was a departure from her previous work - but appreciated the messages within the novel and I liked some of the key characters.

Sadly the same can't be said for ANY of the characters in Slaughter's three short stories.

I don't even know where to start. It's like Slaughter's REALLY tried to move away from her usual genre and more interested in shocking her readers than enter
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
As the title suggests this book is made up of three stories.

Go Deep the first of the stories is the longest story and was by far my favourite one. The storyline reminded me very much of Stephen Kings book Thinner which I also loved.

Charlie a cars salesman is your stereo typical male chauvinist and after a run in with a homeless man his whole world turns upside down.

There were no likeable characters in this story or really throughout this book that I particularly liked but that didn't stop me f
graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst)
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like the weird and wacky
Twisted? For sure. Also, sick, surreal, funny, disgusting, wtf?, bizarre, and just plain rad (that's what the kids say these days, right?). So we have three stores: Go Deep, set in April 1974, that stars a truly loathsome man who I sorta started to feel sorry for near the end. Very interesting and well-thought out tale. This is the longest story of the three. Necessary Women is the shortest and the one where I had inklings as it went on of where it would end up but it went even farther and surpr ...more
Nicky Morris
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, Karin promised us twisted and that's exactly what we get! Especially the first two stories, the language and content was not what I expected, but as a fan I insist on reading all of her work regardless. So, if you are easily offended, steer clear of this one. Overall, it's not my favorite of hers, but it's different and clever for sure!
The CurvyJones
Twisted would be right. Story one was classic Slaughter with a touch of paranormal. Two was odd... A bit of a twist I didn't see coming. I skimmed most of story three. Couldn't grasp the point of it.
Sheryl Willis
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first story was twisted but funny. The other two were just weird and crazy. Four stars over all. Mainly for the 1st story
  • FU Cancer
  • Why Doesn't God Fix It? - Shining Eternal Light on the Darkness of Chronic Illness
  • When He Fell
  • A Letter to My Cat: Notes to Our Best Friends
  • The Spider in the Corner of the Room (The Project, #1)
  • The Second Captive
  • Alchemy: a story of perfect murder
  • Humber Boy B (Cate Austin, #3)
  • Carnage (Frank Quinn, #8.5)
  • The Vault (DI Eleanor Raven, #2)
  • GodBomb!
  • I am Ella. Buy Me
  • Savages
  • The Misadventures of Grumpy Cat and Pokey, Volume 1
  • Hellbound
  • The Dalai Lama's Cat and the Power of Meow (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #3)
  • The Night and the Music
  • What She Never Told Me
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her eighteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated Cop Town and the instant New York Times bestselling novels Pretty Girls and The Good Daughter. Slaughter is the founder of the Save the Libr ...more
More about Karin Slaughter

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)