Start by marking “Classic Love Poems” as Want to Read:

Classic Love Poems

For anyone who's in love - or hopes to be - what greater celebration could there be than to hear the world's greatest love poetry read lovingly by Richard Armitage? With 15 poems by William Shakespeare, Edgar Allan Poe, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and more, Classic Love Poems is a listening treat for Valentine's Day - or any day.

Included in this collection are:
• "How do I
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 1 page
Published February 9th 2015 by Audible Studios

Start your review of Classic Love Poems
Madeleine
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Richard Armitage could read me the phone book and I'd be okay with it.
Iris P
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Classic Love Poems

This audiobook was a freebie Audible gave its members last year but I never listened to it before.
I should mentioned that when it comes to Poetry, I am pretty much a total illiterate, but I remain a romantic at heart and very much enjoyed these lovely selection.

Here are a few of my favorites ones, but believe me listening to Richard Armitage read them to you is WAY better. Seriously, the guy can make the writing on a cereal box sound romantic!

I Carry Your Heart With Me- By E
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Audible Freebie for Valentines Day, Classic Love Poems is FREE until 3/9/15.!! http://www.audible.com/pd/Classics/FR...

Included in this collection are:

"How do I love th
Amina
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
How Do I Love Thee? (Sonnet 43)
Elizabeth Barrett Browning, 1806 - 1861

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I
Malia
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic-lit
Love poems read by the lovely Richard Armitage... Need I say more?

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Marie Williams
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So, I rarely read a great deal of poetry... And audio books aren't my thing...

But these are Classic love poems read by Richard Armitage...

description

Yes, he of John Thornton. And Guy of Gisborne. And a voice like the very heavens have opened.

description

Edgar Allan Poe's Annabel Lee is my sole favorite poem and never have I heard anything so beautiful...

Accept perhaps, the equally beautiful Bright Star by John Keats.

description

This entire collection of well-known and well-loved poems are wonderfully done. A perfect few moments
Gillian Berry
I mean, it was Richard Armitage reading LOVE POETRY. 19 minutes of pure swoon. Particular highlights include dark, brooding Richard reading "Anabel Lee" in a very Thorin Oakenshield kind of angst, the gorgeous "Maud" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, and a Christopher Marlowe poem that I read and loved in high school and had forgotten existed. All the stars to Richard Armitage's voice. Mmmmmmmmmm. *heart eyes*
Christine
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ah, Richard Armitage reading love poetry, what more do you want? Well, keep your x-rated comments to yourself.

Nice collection. Bonus points for including work from the Bible that was not Song of Songs. Good definition of love.
Paula
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yeah, why not. It's almost Valentines'/ Singles Awareness Day anyway. Not really a big fan of poetry.... But, who am I kidding, it's Richard Armitage who's reading the poems. Of course I have to listen to this! Haha. Plus, it's free at Audible. Only, too bad they don't let you download the file in mp3 formats. But, I guess, it's okay. I've downloaded their app on my phone and I've been listening to this since this morning.

To Richard, "Come live with me and be my love." Teehee.
Robin Hatcher
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The audiobook is performed by the utterly fabulous Richard Armitage. Love poems and Armitage are a perfect match, believe me. He gets a five. Overall, the book gets a four since I wasn't enthralled by every poem, classic or not. This is such a short read, but well worth it. I will listen again some day.
Wendy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics, audiobook
Great reading...but I still just don't really like poetry, as most of these either annoyed or bored me. A couple were okay. All I could think of during the much-beloved 'She Walks in Beauty' was what douchecanoes Lord Byron and Percy Shelley were.

I don’t totally hate this collection, though, and if you like poetry, I think you will love this reading.
Maria
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Featuring 15 poems written by what we know consider to be some of the best writers and poets, such as Yeats, Browning, Shakespeare, Eliot and Poe to name a few, this collection runs about 19 minutes long at the 1.0 speed and it was just fantastic to hear them read by Richard Armitage especially when he reads Christopher Marlowe's 'The Passionate Shepherd to His Love'.

I fell in love again with a lot of these because of Armitage's voice and his cadence as he read these... this was too short-lived
Leigh
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, own
Beautifully narrated!
Kimberly
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020, classics
Narration - 5+++++ stars. It's Richard "John Thornton" Armitage reading love poems *swoon*

Poetry - 3 stars. It's a good sampler of love poems if you're in the mood, but it's a pretty mixed bag. There wasn't anything I was desperate to re-listen to, but there also wasn't anything that was awful. For me the real draw was the narrator, so take my two cents for what it's worth.
Lu
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful reading of classic love poems by Richard Armitage. My eyes filled with tears.
Stormi (Bewitched Reader)
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, poetry
Richard Armitage and classic love poems. How can this not be 5-Stars? I need Richard Armitage to be my GPS voice.
Anima
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection of poems is a beautiful pinctada maxima keeping inside 15 pearls which once touched by your sight will change their heart contouring shapes into invisible powerful waves that will instantaneously take you in the middle of the eye of a cyclone swirling around you breath taking mesmerizing images showing an impressive display of the never changing world of what poets define to be love. All the poems are hauntingly beautiful, but I think
Sonnet 116 by W. Shakespeare and 'I carry you
Ana
Just when the 'North and South' withdrawal symptoms were worsening, I found this little gem. A classic never feels outdated and I will begrudgingly acknowledge that there is good reason for it in the case of this collection. Given the narrator, there is no question that all the poems would be performed superbly.

Standouts: "Maud" by Alfred Tennyson, "To His Coy Mistress" by Andrew Marvell, "I carry your heart" by E.E. Cummings.
Danielle Robb
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, poetry
This made my month. Having a bad day? Listen to Thorin Oakenshield read you some lovely love poems!
Beth Dickey
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Lovingly read by Richard Armitage".
Luciana
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Richard Armitage narrating love poems should be considered a crime against ovaries.
Renee M
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully read, Audible freebie that will be a treat to revisit from time to time.
Nicole
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection and narration. All of these are such beautiful love poems. I can see myself listening to this frequently.
Angy Potter - Collector of Book Boyfriends
Beautifully read by Richard Armitage!!
Joshie
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, poetry
Nothing much to say about this collection other than it's comprised of popular love poems most people are familiar with from Elizabeth Barrett Browning's How Do I Love Thee to ee cumming's I Carry Your Heart. This does not take away the reputation of these poems. They're still as lovely as I remembered them when I first encountered them almost a decade ago. I do need the reminder of their existence.

But if you are looking to discover ignored, classic love poems this is not the place to start with
Amanda
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a free-bee from Audible on Valentines Day, which was really amazing of them. It was also beyond amazing to listen to. Love poetry, by Richard Armitage, on Valentines. Thanks. Yes. My life was beautiful. And I got to hear some of my favorite love poetry on the right day. It was glorious.
Kate
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, read-in-2015
Thank you, God and Audible, for Richard Armitage reading classic love poems aloud, allowing me to pretend he wrote them to me. ;)
Richard Armitage reading classic poetry. What more needs to be said?

(I'd have given five stars had it been a bit longer.)
Jessi
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To say I love poetry is a bit of a stretch. I’ll sit down and read Edgar Allen Poe or Shel Silverstein but that’s as far as my poetry loving goes. I’m also not a person to fawn over love poetry or love in general. Richard Armitage’s voice pulled me in. I may have bought this purely because of the man behind the audio but it was well worth it. I hung onto his every word and felt as though for once in my life I could believe in love. I also agree with another reviewer that said he could read the p ...more
AudiobookFiend
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was delighted to find many of my favorites here. Some of them didn’t dazzle, but I was introduced to a few beautiful poems that had escaped me before. A good introduction or re-entry into the eloquent world of poetry!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Yard Work
  • A Short Account of the History of Mathematics
  • Lives of the Scientists: Experiments, Explosions (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • Bluebird Memories: A Journey Through Lyrics & Life
  • Donor 9623
  • Dan Rather: Stories of a Lifetime
  • This Is Your Brain on Depression: Creating a Path to Getting Better
  • Bella Bella
British actor and audio-book narrator.

Richard Armitage was born in 1971, the second son of Margaret, a secretary, and John, an engineer. He grew up in a village outside the city. Some of his favourite childhood stories included The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

At the age of fourteen he transferred from a local state middle school, Brockington College, to Pattison’s Dancing Academy in Coventry

Articles featuring this book

Mindy Kaling is an actress, producer, and author of bestselling books, including Why Not Me? and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without...