Start by marking “Die Wissende” as Want to Read:
Die Wissende

Die Wissende

(Bookworm #1)

Sie allein kennt alle Geheimnisse der verbotenen Magie

Elaines magische Gabe ist bestenfalls durchschnittlich und reicht gerade aus, um ihr eine Stellung in der Großen Bibliothek der Goldenen Stadt zu verschaffen. Aus Versehen löst sie dort einen uralten Zauber aus, der das gesamte Wissen der Bibliothek in ihren Kopf überträgt. Obwohl Elaine die dazugehörige Magie fehlt, le
Published December 15th 2014 by Blanvalet (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Die Wissende, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Wissende

Start your review of Die Wissende
Mike
The main problem with this book is the spoiled protagonist.

I'm using "spoiled protagonist" as a kind of technical term (I wrote a blog post on it, partly prompted by this book: http://csidemedia.com/gryphonclerks/2...). In summary, a spoiled protagonist is a main character who is treated by everyone else in the book as if they were the Chosen One of prophecy, even though, in the book, they're not. The sternest authorities forgive their transgressions, people sacrifice their lives to save them, a
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
I rated this book as a 1* because of the unnecessary sex written into the book. If it is for young adults, and my grandchildren age 8 read books in this category, the sex in this book is not needed, does not add any thing to the book, and is completely fictional as well as unrealistic from the view of a 73 year old man. In the book the author makes fun of books written by teen age boys fantasy of sex, and then does the very thing he makes fun of in his books. I have no idea why Christopher G. Nu ...more
Deoro
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting fantasy adventure which moves at a good pace. The book is a complete story in itself but clearly will lead to future volumes as the larger plot is unfinished. The main character is a strong woman who is believable and likable. Refreshingly she is not all powerful. The world building for is particularly interesting and magic based.
Haydn
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unimaginative main character, depressingly male understanding of romance, and a magic system that is completely unexplained. The concept holds merit, but is lacking in follow through.
Morandia
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2016
I really enjoyed this. Must be the librarian in me
Billy Buttons
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book recently entered the Wishing Shelf Awards. It was awarded the GOLD MEDAL. This is what our readers thought:

FEEDBACK

Author: Christopher Nuttall
Title: Bookworm

COVER: 9/10
The readers thought that the cover was very good, even ‘spectacular’. They liked the title very much and they thought that the blurb was well-written and persuasive. One reader did feel the blurb was overly-long and ‘gave too much of the plot away’.

CONTENT 9/10
All of the readers thought Bookworm was a very exciting book.
Dee Martin
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judith
Why I couldn't finish this book (and why I wish I'd quit reading after 100 pages rather than 200)
1. one-dimensional characters--clumsy caricatures, really.
2. the world-building is very superficial. I'm happy to suspend my disbelief, but not in the face of such a lack of internal cohesion.
3. the endless repetition. The book would have been half as long if the redundancies had been eliminated.
4.female "characters" appear to have been created by a teenage misogynist. They're objects, and they're ei
Amy
Aug 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
A few issues with this book -

a) It's slow moving, with way too much telling, not showing.

b) Too much of the book is the main character's narration. She has the same internal monologue over and over, just to really hammer in the point that she's terribly shy, jealous of her pretty roommate, bullied by other people, and now has all of these tempting spells in her mind. Over. And. Over.

c) I'm not sure how old she's supposed to be, but apparently old enough to have graduated from school, and yet h
Patrick
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite sure where to put this series,

Another parallel universe that is just really really close to schooled in magic where the empire never disbanded, or another timeline?

There are way too many similarities to schooled in magic to be a mere coincindence.
Also the author is a fan of sanderson afaik so I just assume it's some form of connected prequel until somebody tells me differently.

Although there are several inventions that shouldn't be there, I guess you could make a point for roman empire
Siobhan Henn
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on audiobook. It was interesting and I kept going back to it which is something I rarely do to finish the series. Elaine is interesting, as is Dread and I'm tempted to get the next one. I enjoyed the series twists and turns.
Kristen
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was more a 3.5 star read for me as there were a few small things that I didn't love, but it got the fourth star for a combination of really clever detailed world-building, and a magical library with the librarian as our protagonist which I thought was cool and I loved it.

Elaine is every ordinary, unimportant "nobody" character we've ever met - in books or in life. She is nearly invisible in her job at the great library, in her society because she's an orphan of unknown parentage and in powe
Penny Wyatt
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, fiction
This review is also posted on my blog So Many eBooks, So Little Time

I picked up Bookworm by Christopher Nuttall for two reasons. The first was that it was, as the title suggests, about books and the second was that it involved magic.It is also largely set around a huge library filled with these books on magic, my interest was piqued.

Elaine No-Kin was brought up in an orphanage in the Golden City, never knowing her parents or where she came from. Although her magic is limited she attends and grad
Per Gunnar
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-fantasy
his is the third book from Christopher Nuttall that I have read and I have enjoyed them all. Unlike the first two books from Mr. Nuttal that I have read this one is a pure fantasy book without any science fiction component. The book is well written in the same general way as the previous books.

The book follows Elaine who, as the book blurb states, is a magician with limited talent. Elaine’s world is one where magic is abundant and he who has or controls magic is he who rules. The world is very m
M.L.
Feb 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever had a book that just killed the genre all together. Like one minute you’re interested in books about magic and then you come across one that just makes you hate it all together? Yep, this was it for me. It was The worst. The MC is weak. The thing is, you expect her to be weak, she is suppose to progress and evolve into a heroine. Nope.
She has all the knowledge regarding magic yet she becomes stupid and a sexually adventurous person who looses her virginity to a man she’s only seen
Robin
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this well-imagined fantasy from an independent press. Detailed world building and great pacing kept me reading. A teensy bit predictable and certain core elements were glossed over, but none of that got in the way of some nifty ideas about class, society, and privilege. And magic.
Wende
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I am glad that I found it.
Seregil of Rhiminee
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Christopher Nuttall's Bookworm was a pleasant surprise for me, because the author has woven an exciting and entertaining story of secrets, dark history, books, werewolves and magic, and knows how to keep the story on the move. I'm sure that this book will remind several readers of how much fun reading a fantasy book can be, because it's fluently written escapism.

Before I write more about Bookworm, I'll mention that I did a bit of research when I finished read
Summers
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Summary, this is about a magic world but skipping the usual stuff. Skips the bully, skips the school stuff, skips finding a job. MC done that already, and is not happy where she is, until a magic book fills her head full of knowledge. Characters are likable enough, its a small cast and that's good. Nothing really stands out but its a easy read, I suggest audiobook while doing something else.
The world is actually pretty dark but without harping on it like other books do. Since magic is everywhere
Eric
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book with some interesting world building, but also quite a few flaws.

The world is very interesting. It doesn't really map to a particular historical time in our world. Some things about it are very modern, some feel more Victorian, and others downright Medieval.

The main character is an interesting choice - a bookish, not-especially-good magician who works in a magical library. A magical accident leaves her no more powerful, but crammed full of forbidden knowledge. Sort of like a
Hollyberye
This book began with great promise, and I was raptly attentive. I picked that up again at the very end, but somehow once the main adventure started I lost some interest. Part of the problem was the completely unnecessary extremely explicit sex, which surely removes the book from a Young Adult Fantasy designation. I am from the school that believes that leaving something to the imagination is more intriguing and compelling. The main couple of adventures were more brutal than I expected. I have re ...more
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read other books by this author that I really enjoyed, so it was particularly jarring to read this book. It feels like it was published without ever being edited; at times I found myself skimming through paragraph after paragraph of information that added nothing to the story.

3 stars because I like the idea behind this book and I like the author in general.

You can tell that Elaine was written by a man. Her voice only comes across as female because the book says she’s a female—the unnecess
Christopher Ahlers
Creative idea but a bit hurried

Entertaining read with good characters around a creative approach to new perceptions but they don't quite give you clear angles and understanding. It is a bit sluggish with the plot development and build up to a vanilla bad trying to conquer the world so it feels a bit hurried like out of time and budget to deliver or my homework is late let's wrap this one up. Not quite as elaborate as Schooled in Magic.
Jim
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great series from Christopher Nuttall. Elaine is a well crafted character who grows and changes with the challenges she faces and information she gains. The world's magical mechanics are well thought out and stay consistent throughout the story.
The main villian is a worthy opponent to all the characters that were introduced in this opening chapter of the series.
Ronny
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ok book, but with some clear weaknesses, it doesn't fit together as well as his schooled books, and the protagonist is a less well made Emily (from schooled), that gets away with pretty much anything. 3 minus. The setting was ok (though again, less detailed than the aforementioned books), but he clearly skimped on the magic system compared to his latter works.
Jodi Wiese
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
At first I gave this 3 stars then I reduced it to 2. It was a struggle to finish this book and I found myself fast forwarding through it being thankful I borrowed it instead of spending the money. It appears to be a poor attempt of a Harry Potter fan fiction without explanation of their magical abilities. If you do read it borrow it from your local library.
Bobby Nichols
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, and a little depressing

Rally good book with believable characters. But that reality also brings the pain and despair thai real people get. It's the highest praise to say that I feel the same despair the characters feel.

Excellent book. I will be reading threw next one in the series.
Ruby Ridge
First let me state that I am a really big fan of Christopher Nuttall's magic books, second that this was a good read. So why only three stars? I had to lower my rating due to the unnecessary sex scenes, they were bad and detracted rather than added to the story.
Will carry on with the series as I really like the 'zero Enigma' and 'Schooled in Magic' series and want to like this series.
Robert Burns
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one! nothing like schooled in Magic. It went in a direction I didn't call, and Nuttall was able to take it to a very dark place without just describing a bunch of cut up bodies.

I can't wait to read the next.
Brigette
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. Unnecessarily trashy (didn't advance the story at all), even for someone who didn't go to the Peerless School. [If I had a nickel for every time I rolled my eyes about the Peerless School, I could afford to buy a better book.]
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Artful Apprentice (Schooled in Magic, #19)
  • The King's Man (The Zero Enigma #7)
  • The Service of Mars (Starship's Mage,  #9)
  • The Ancient Lie (The Unwritten Words, #2)
  • Knife Edge (The Empire's Corps #17)
  • Their Last Full Measure (A Learning Experience #6)
  • Rune Mystic (Rune Mystic, #3)
  • Runic Apprentice (Rune Mystic, #1)
  • Arsenal: A Divine Dungeon Series (Artorian's Archives, #4)
  • Bio Dungeon: Symbiote (The Body's Dungeon, #1)
  • A Sorcerer's Diplomacy (Song of Sorcery Book 3)
  • Rune Mage (Rune Mystic, #2)
  • A Snake's Life
  • A Sorcerer Imprisoned (Song Of Sorcery #2)
  • Shield of Terra (Light of Terra, #2)
  • Duchess of Terra (Duchy of Terra, #2)
  • Tau Ceti (Ell Donsaii, #6)
  • Condensation (Elemental Gatherers, #3)

Bookworm (4 books)
  • The Very Ugly Duckling (Bookworm, #2)
  • The Best Laid Plans (Bookworm, #3)
  • Full Circle (Bookworm, #4)