Start by marking “DIY, Dammit!: A Practical Guide to Curse-Free Crafting” as Want to Read:
DIY, Dammit!: A Practical Guide to Curse-Free Crafting

DIY, Dammit!: A Practical Guide to Curse-Free Crafting

Doing it yourself always seems so simple. Only 3 steps! Just 5 supplies! Less than 30 minutes! Yeah right.

The truth is, craftin’ ain’t easy. But it also doesn’t have to be an exasperating lesson in your own clumsiness.

Joselyn Hughes knows the struggle. She’s lived it. And now, with DIY, Dammit!, she offers up foolproof craftables that deliver maximum cute with minimal
Published December 3rd 2015 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about DIY, Dammit!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DIY, Dammit!

Start your review of DIY, Dammit!: A Practical Guide to Curse-Free Crafting
Cara's Craftsations
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All crafters
Shelves: favorites, crafts
Finally a crafting book that embraces the imperfections of crafting. You don't have to have name brand products, you are (most likely) not going to get it right on your first try and most importantly don't compare your finish creation to other creations on the internet.
Robin
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I usually don't include craft books in my read pile as those books do not usually lend themselves to be read front to back but I am including this one because I did just that. As a craft book it has some obvious blunders such as the two headed poncho cozy template that I had to stare at to make sure I was not reading the pattern wrong and some of the blithely written directions that encourage you to just google it if you need further instructions. The crafts are made to be simple and curse free ...more
Gladys Gonzales Atwell
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nerdgirlofficial
**This book has been provided by publisher/author for an honest review**

As many of the Nerd Girl fans know I am pretty old school. I collect my books but still keep my review books handy on my Kindle for the late night (lights out insomnia reading). I love to make things and always have!! It's a great way to relax!!

I always search the Internet for fun ideas, but then I will have to print them out, shuffle through unbound pages and stand to loose something along the way!! Well well well, just
Carol
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, this book was the most fun I've had for a while! If you've ever tried to do a craft and ended up wanting to take a hammer to your sewing machine (and be honest, who hasn't?) this is the book for you. Warning: Don't read if 4-letter words offend you, because there's a lot of 'em in here! I found myself laughing a lot as I turned through the pages. Here's the author's take on X-ACTO knives: "You're packing when you've got one of these in your craft den. I'm sorry, did you think I was just a ...more
Tina
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Anyone else sick of the same ole craft books? I was and so I picked up the e-galley of this one hoping for something new. While most of the crafts presented aren't new or spectacular, how they are presented will have you howling with laughter. I'm not sure which one liner I could label as my favourite since there are so many good ones, but definitely pick this one up and give it a flip.
Jess
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This boos is by far one of the best DIY Books I have read this year. I have been on the hunt for a DIY book that would spark my creativity and make me excited to craft. This book did all of that and more. The book was super detailed, super funny and the instructions are easy to understand and read with good pictures. Joselyn makes you feel like even if you fail you can still rock it later on something else. I normally get my books through my library but I will be buying a copy of this book for ...more
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun ideas that I have used in library displays and will adapt for DIY adult programming.
Beth
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, diy, crafts
not my kind of stuff..... some humor in the book but the crafts were kind of tacky I felt.
Mckinley
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun. Wide variety of projects to make or use as a starting point with own tweaks.
Joanie
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Glad that I checked this book out at my local library. It had a couple cute ideas and also some really ... not cute ... ideas, too. I'm looking at you (not so) Classy Clutch and(W T F) "Cute"-as-a-cupcake liner garland (dead serious). I guess (I'm being nice here) this would be a good book to laugh with (at) if you're a crafter, but not much else.

Also, in the author's attempt to be "hip" with her flippant attitude (which is usually fine by me), she's made a few big (rude) blunders. Some bigger
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor, crafts
Enjoyed the humor presented in the book; not so much the projects presented. The couple I were interested didn't give very detailed instructions (the author basically told us to "Google it")

"Wine is great for everything. Don't let the people around you say any different. People in Europe drink vino at lunch and it's considered classy and progressive. So, anyone who tells you different is closed-minded and probably racist." pg. 147

Vodka: It's basically Russian Windex. pg. 143

"See if you like it,
Rachel
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Cute colorful comical craft book! I perused it in about a half hour and determined that although it's kinda funny to read, I would not actually do the crafts. Good instructions and pictures though.
My problem was that they were crafts my daughters would do, but it was not a book I would let them have because of the language used in it. If you craft at a 5-10 year old level this could be the book for you. Or if you want your kid to know what crafts pair well with vodka.
Heather F
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has threatened to buy the "The Only Craft I do is beer" pint glass, I liked this book. The crafts were do-able and ones i would consider. The book is also funny (obviously, I suppose given Hughes is a comedian) and oddly inspiring. Also, Mamrie Hart has a great interlude on crafting cocktails. I bought this book because I am a fan of Hughes, but I would also buy it as a gift.
Lauren
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There are some really cute things to make in here, but nothing earth shattering. I liked how she made a point to talk about the problem with everyone making their craft attempts look perfect and pinterest worthy-- sometimes it does NOT work out that way and that's just life! Especially loved her alcoholic beverage/project pairings.
m klein
I was expecting more reasonable and usable craft projects. I will use maybe 2 projects. I hoping that I did not spend much money for this book.

Did not like most of the projects. Seemed like things that humored her and entertained her= a project. Her commentaries where funny at first. Became annoyed with it in end. Not much substance.
Sara
Feb 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Ah, well. Also good-looking (and she's even a funny writer!), but useless.
This is the book for people who think they can't glue pom-poms to a piece of cardboard without explicit instruction, and also they don't have access to the internet.
Sherry
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Many projects, most are shown in simple and how-to steps, I really like the Permanent Planter on page 73 and the Tablet Tote on 245. Extremely motivational, unique projects combine to make a good DIY book. However, the frequent use of 4 letter words abound.
Leigh
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
The crafts are extremely easy and Joselyn's banter is funny most of the time and insulting some of the time. She shows some ageism in her stereotyping of "old women". Watch it dear, if you're lucky, you'll be one some day.
Kristal
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I found a lot of fun ideas in this book. None of the projects seemed overly complex but a few seemed a little too simple. There were at least two I'm sure I made in elementary school. But overall, the book makes me want check out the writer's website to see what other ideas she has.
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
**I received this book as part of Goodreads Giveaways**

This book was very cute!

I felt like I was writing it, or we could be friends lol

I loved the mid section with drink recipes from Mamrie Hart!

I have plenty of great ideas now!
Autumn
Jul 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crafts
Totally basic craft ideas that you've seen a million times presented with ATTITUDE! Teen librarians will find some ideas in here, but don't buy it for your collection unless you want them to make F You in pompoms.
Chuck Knudsen
Jan 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
Didn't really do anything for me. Somewhat humorous banter in between mediocre crafting. Which, I guess is good, if you're looking for some good starter crafts, but none of them seemed like things where I would be particularly proud of the results.
Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell
Reverence guide, seriously

Not only does it have crafts, it also has good advice! Can take the p!ace of a bestie in a pinch. About the only down bit is its dependence on web sites that can poof in the blink of an eye. Other than that? Craft on!
Carrie
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Joselyn seems like a delight, and I've enjoyed her stand up, but this book was a bit of a swing and a miss for me. Though if she wrote another book, I'm sure I'd read it.
Marisa
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
The book has some cute craft ideas in it. I would not put it in the school library because of the curse words throughout the book.
Jowanda
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love that the patterns for the crafts are available online. So there is no photocopying needed!
Kathy
Oct 23, 2015 added it
enjoyed the book and crafts
Megan M
Jan 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
ugh. just ugh. This woman is fascinated by her own pseudo-cuteness. It's not working.
Beth White
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some cool crafts I want to try
Amber
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very cute ideas and along with awesome layout. I wish I designed it myself.

• Terrifying Tales to Tell at Night: 10 Scary Stories to Give You Nightmares!
  • Creating Really Awesome Free Things: 100 Seriously Fun, Super Easy Projects for Kids
  • Pretty Little Presents
  • Sticky Fingers: DIY Duct Tape Projects - Easy to Pick Up, Hard to Put Down
  • Rough Ride (Powertools: Hot Rides, #5)
  • Land of Wolves (Walt Longmire, #15)
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 10: Life is Too Short, Squirrel
  • Semicolon: The Past, Present, and Future of a Misunderstood Mark
  • Plum Lovin' (Stephanie Plum, #12.5)
  • Hocus Pocus & The All New Sequel
  • Zero Hour (Resident Evil, #0)
  • Only the Devil is Here
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF
  • Weight Loss Boss: How to Finally Win at Losing--and Take Charge in an Out-of-Control Food World
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Everybody Has A Book Inside of Them: How To Bring It Out
  • Witchnapped in Westerham (Paranormal Investigation Bureau, #1)
  • The Solar War (The Long Winter Trilogy #2)
Joselyn Hughes is a Los Angeles based writer and performer. She was recently named as one of "30 Under 35: Female Comedians to Watch" by JaneDough.com, "25 Female Comedians Everyone Should Know" by Flavorwire.com, "18 Funny Women You Should Be Following on Twitter" by the Huffington Post, and "30 Under 30: Comedians You Should Watch" by Splashlife and Funny or Die.

Joselyn has appeared on Chelsea