Start by marking “The Lies About Truth” as Want to Read:
The Lies About Truth

The Lies About Truth

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  2,178 Ratings  ·  333 Reviews
Sadie Kingston, is a girl living in the aftermath. A year after surviving a car accident that killed her friend Trent and left her body and face scarred, she can’t move forward. The only person who seems to understand her is Trent’s brother, Max.

As Sadie begins to fall for Max, she's unsure if she is truly healed enough to be with him — even if Max is able to look at her s
Published November 3rd 2015 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Lies About Truth, please sign up.
Talia =^_^= Well, since it just came out, you might have to wait a few weeks, but your local bookstore or library will probably have it soon.
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny HanThe Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie WestAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenSaint Anything by Sarah DessenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
2015 Contemporary YA
256 books — 1,358 voters
Faking Normal by Courtney C. StevensThe Lies About Truth by Courtney C. StevensMy Secret to Tell by Natalie D. RichardsThe Glass Arrow by Kristen SimmonsMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
NK-YA Fest
60 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Courtney C. Stevens does it again with another fantastic book! I'll admit that it took time for me to get completely sucked in. The characters felt a bit meh to me at the beginning, but they grew on me towards the middle of the book. It also took awhile for the story to really take off, but once it did, it soared! I can't wait to see what Courtney C. Stevens has up her sleeve next.
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
I officially dub Courtney C. Stevens as "The Queen of Hitting Me Right in the Feels." It's a mouthful, but it's totally appropriate. I'm not even exaggerating, guys--I've read both of her novels and they are both AMAZING and gorgeous and emotional and just deserve all the asdfghjkls your keyboard can possibly handle.

There are just so many reasons why I want to push you all to read her latest book, The Lies About Truth. First and foremost, we have an incredibly lovable heroine. Sadie has scars, a
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Actual rating : 3.5 stars

"Here's a secret. I want to matter. I want to be known. I want to be myself. I want you to write this day on a piece of paper and put it inside Big. And one day, when you open him, you'll read about me and think, 'God, that day with Trent was one of my favorite days ever."

LIE : This novel was an instant favorite of mine.
(hard) TRUTHS : a) There's nothing really original about this synopsis : a teenager overcoming grief, been there, done that.
b) The first 30%
Maggie
❝Sometimes the journey to let someone love you is the journey to loving yourself.❞

I had mixed feelings about this one and decided to stick with the rating of 3 stars. It started off well, knowing about the past of Sadie and how she got her scars, became sad, how she was looking back at the tragedy, and looking back at her past, missing her old friends and getting to have fun with them. But after reading a couple 100 pages or so, I was conflicted on my rating and thinking I wouldn't enjoy it as
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

Peace hid from me this year, and I'd searched for it at Metal Pete's, in therapy sessions, in long runs on the beach, and hours of Star Time. I hadn't found it hiding among that dark, black sea of sparkles or anywhere else. But tonight, in the gentleness of my friend stretched out next to me, breathing in and out so rhythmically that he sounded like breaking waves, it felt within reach again.

Okay so....I've been undeniably excited about another Courtney Stevens book coming out. After Faking

“Mom said when a person dies, you don’t get over it by forgetting; you get through it by remembering.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl who lost her best friend and her life as she knew it in a car accident.

I felt quite sorry for Sadie in this story, but I also wanted her to move on and change. The way she was so hung up on her scars seemed a bit superficial co
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

I had heard about this book through Twitter. There was a giveaway going on and I entered. Now I didn't win the giveaway but this book was always in the back of my mind. After reading several reviews I decided to buy it. I am happy to say that I enjoyed it!

The book begins with Sadie walking to the beach. Going to the beach in shorts is apart of Sadie's list of goals that she made with her therapist Fletcher. So far she's managed to do it
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

It's no secret I avoid books that are likely to upset me - I simply don't like being upset. My eyes get all puffy, my face turns red, there's snot. Getting upset makes me angry. This book achieved all those things and I regret none of them.

While I expected a slightly fluffy romance, what I actually got was a beautiful tale of forgiveness and hope.

I can agree with the reviews that thought the pacing was slow, but for me, it fit the story and characters journeys perfectly. There are no over the
aria [dear darling reader]
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it

RATING: B-

MANY THANKS TO HARPER TEEN FOR THE REVIEW COPY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW

"Best friends, even former ones, were supposed to understand crap like social anxiety and scar exposure."

reaction

First off let me just say that I liked this book. I liked the flow of the story and the characters. There were things here and there that made me wonder why anyone would ever do something like that. But overall, I really liked this book.

The Lies About The Truth dealt with pain. All types of pain
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)

An emotionally charged story about lose, friendship and love. In that order. Sadie Kingston is a girl who survives a car accident that killed her best friend Trent, scarred her face, and damaged his brother’s Max voice. She is now living in the aftermath of the accident and is trying to deal with the deep painful feelings of loss, her boyfriend's betrayal and the fact that her face took quite a beating. Moving on isn’t easy for Sadie, but I respect her journey and her will and courage to do so.
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Once upon a time, there were four friends, two couples, who stopped being friends before they stopped being couples. Little questions niggled the back of their heads like splinters buried in the skin. Questions of trust and intention. Who loved whom the most? What if he wasn’t the best person for her? What if she wasn’t?
No one talked about the questions, because talking ruined plausible deniability. Talking burst the bubble of innocence. Talking ended the happily ever after.
These were the trut
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
It was good, just didn't impress/shock/move me in any type of way. Will definitely pick up more from this author in the future.
Clara  Cheng
"When a person dies, you don't get over it by forgetting; you get through it by remembering."

I received an ARC of this book from HarperCollins via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 truthful stars.

Affectionate. If I was only allowed to describe the book with one word after reading, this would be it - affectionate.

This book was so beautifully written, so heartwarming that the smell of tears often lingered between the pages. It felt like I've walked through the stages of grieving, dea
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
ARC provided via edelweiss in exchange for an honest review
Jen Ryland
A very moving book about grief and loss and forgiveness. A touch on the melodramatic side for my taste with all the secrets, but loved the writing, the family dynamics, and the emotion underlying the story.

I was a bit confused about the ages of Sadie and Max. She's seventeen going on eighteen, so he's .... how old? (nvm - Danielle cleared this up for me - below).

Read more of my reviews on YA Romantics or follow me on Bloglovin

Thanks to Harper Teen for providing an advance copy for review!
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3.5-4 stars

I didn't *love* this one, but the writing by Courtney Stevens is once again fantastic. I just wasn't crazy about some of the story lines. I wanted more Max and Trent and less Gray.
Jasmine (Jasmine Pearl Reads)
Book: The Lies About Truth
Author: Courtney Stevens
Finished Reading: October 31, 2015 (Saturday - 12:19AM)

*I would like to thank HARPER COLLINS INTERNATIONAL for sending me an ARC of this book. This doesn't affect nor influence my review.

This review also appears on my blog.

Do you know that feeling when you finished reading a book and you were like, “What did I just read? What the f*ck did just happen to my feelings?” I felt this right after I finished reading The Lies About Truth.

I assure you tha
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 10/22/15: 4.5 stars
Well that was just beautiful, bittersweet, and so incredibly well done. I loved how the book was serious, deep, and emotional but still full of life and had some really delightful moments. THE LIES ABOUT THE TRUTH was incredibly well-rounded and really impressed me!
The characters were just so real. Each one really came to life and they felt like genuine people and feelings. I can connect with characters and still not feel like they're real live people. Sad
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-edelweiss

I may have been expecting something from this book because of how much I loved Faking Normal, but I don't know what that something is. While I am not really disappointed in this one because I feel like they're really different, I do like Faking Normal more than this one.

7 THINGS I LOVED ABOUT THE BOOK:

• The family aspect: Oh my gosh, the family aspect in this book is unbelievable! I love the relationship of Sadie's parents - it was clear that they loved each other very much and they have a gr
Alise  (Readers in Wonderland)
FAKING NORMAL by the same author was one of my favorite reads of 2014 so I had high expectations for THE LIES ABOUT TRUTH. Stevens’ new release has its good elements, but it just didn’t stand out to me as extraordinary, especially when compared to her debut.
“Maybe forgiveness was giving the past less power to hurt me. Or even building new memories that were stronger than the painful ones.”
This is an extremely character driven novel, but it does not have bad pacing. We spend so much time in Sa
nick
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Beautiful!
I loved Sadie's journey in overcoming her grief and her insecurities. I especially loved that her parents played a pivotal role in her healing. Her love interest, Max, was also the sweetest.
Full review to come closer to release date.
Christy
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!

Hey, Courtney Stevens

How do you do it? How do you write such honest characters that break my heart? This is the second book that I have read of yours and both of them are so real, so raw, and so touching. The Lies About Truth really caught me by surprise. I had a hunch that I would love it because I loved Faking Normal so much, but I didn’t expect to be so touched by these characters and their story.

Sadie

It was such an honor to get into Sadie’s head and to see where she was at after th
Gisbelle
description
My thanks to HarperTeen

--------------------------------------------------------------
Point of View: Single (Sadie)
Writing: First Person | Past Tense
Setting: Florida
Genre: Young Adult | Realistic Fiction
--------------------------------------------------------------

This one is such a heartwarming book. I absolutely enjoyed every minute spent on reading it. I loved Courtney C. Stevens when I read Faking Normal, and now this book has made me love her even more.

What's not to like when the book is a
Emma Jones
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a strong book on friendship, redemption and forgiveness. This book really made me think and that's one of the things I really liked about it. A really quick but gripping book.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight
This book. Where do I even begin. I have been going back and forth between 4.5 and 5 stars. I really, really liked this one, as you can tell. Can I give it 4.75 stars? Because that is really what it is. Almost perfect. I just don't know if I can make the five star leap, though I will give it 5 on Goodreads and Amazon and such.  Anyway, I digress. Sadie and her entire close circle of friends and family have been in mourning over the car a
Bee {Quite the Novel Idea}
Istyria book blog ~ B's world of enchanted books

At the end of 2013 I fell in love with Faking Normal and I knew I had to read any book written by this author because I knew it would be great. And then I got this one on Edelweiss and when I read it... I loved it even more than I thought I would. So. Many. Feels.

The Lies About Truth tells the story of Sadie Kingston. A year ago she survived a horrible car accident that killed her friend Trent and left her face and body scarred. She can't seem to m
Nara
Aaand with this book Courtney C. Stevens has landed herself a spot in my list of auto-buy authors. Congratulations, Courtney! You know what she's really good at?
Characters.
Characters that aren't one dimensional, no matter how minor they are. Characters who can recognise themselves as flawed but aren't able to take that step to change themselves. Characters who support others knowing that they're guilty. Characters that inspire, that embolden, that frustrate, that make you swoon.

Characters.

So the
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
That was fantastic. I loved Courtney's first book but this one I loved even more. What a great story of grief, live, loss and friendship. Read it guys! Review to come.
Karima chermiti
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it

Full review now posted

some people are hard to understand and easy to love.

The lies about the truth managed to do things that no other book has done with me. It managed
  • Truest
  • The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak
  • Every Last Promise
  • Thicker Than Water

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
“If nothing changes, nothing changes. If you keep doing what you're doing, you're going to keep getting what you're getting. You want change, make some.” 35 likes
“I feel myself shutting down, closing off, like I should tell people, "No, we don't use this heart anymore. It's too fragile.” 15 likes