Start by marking “Young Man with Camera” as Want to Read:
Young Man with Camera

Young Man with Camera

A picture is worth a thousand words--and with a unique photographic format, a stunning original voice, and a provocative portrayal of bullying, Young Man with a Camera is a book to get people talking.

T-- is used to getting grief. He gets it from his mom, who blames herself for his accident years earlier. He gets it from Mr. Lam, who suspects every kid of stealing from his
Published September 29th 2015 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Young Man with Camera, please sign up.
Emil Sher What kind of connections are you thinking of?…moreWhat kind of connections are you thinking of? (less)

Start your review of Young Man with Camera
jv poore
I want to say that Young Man With Camera packs a powerful punch because my heart is heavily bruised; but that cliché is actually inaccurate. Instead, it is like a snake bite. A shocking, searing-hot flash of pain first, followed by a false sense of ease, into the stinging sensation of venom in your veins. And I mean this as an unequivocally enthusiastic endorsement.

T— is clearly strong, resilient and courageous…yet I immediately experience an inexplicable urge to protect him. Deftly dealing with
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from the publisher for review.

Diversity Rating: 0 – What Diversity?

Racial-Ethnic:
1 (T–‘s best friend Sean is black)
QUILTBAG: 0 (one character is maybe-gay)
Disability: 1 (Homeless woman Lucy is mentally ill)
Intersectionality: 1 (Lucy as mentally ill and homeless; T–‘s facial burn scars)

Damn. I’m normally not one to lecture about inappropriate content in books for children because MG and YA readers aren’t that easily corrupted by
Traci Renner
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like to read a book that makes you think and feel, read Young Man with Camera. It's not an easy story. I was angry at the protagonist because he didn't react as I wanted him to, but he reacted in a way that isn't entirely unexplainable. I was viewing the story through my adult eyes and processing it with my adult mind. The protagonist, though, isn't an adult. He's a terrified kid in a horrible situation. He does what he thinks is best, even if the reader doesn't agree. Upon finishing, I ...more
Rachel Seigel
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am still processing this amazing book. It made me angry, it made me think, it made me smile. Every middle-school student should read this. Themes of justice, bullying and friendship are handled sensitively without being preachy. The language is beautiful and I found myself wanting to highlight several phrases as I was reading.
Lucas Stillings
A decent read, It has a lot of detailed words that really paint a mental image for readers of any age. I do think it could have a better ending and there could definitely be some things changed through out the book, but all in all it is a pretty good book.
Tara Downie
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Younge man with camera was amazing book, after the first really interesting part it just kept getting better and better, didn't ever want to put my book down. The book definitely put me through all the different emotion sad, scared, anxious but mainly anxious because I was so anxious to find out how it was going to end. Young man with camera was a jaw dropping book not knowing what might happen next was maybe my favorite part. The ending could have been a little better but besides that very ...more
Heather Jōb
HOLY COW.

This book is going to give you serious anxiety. And with the lack of closure or justice in the ending, that anxiety isn't going to go away. I can't decide whether I like the unsettled effect, or whether I want the book to be three times longer so I can walk away without my heart racing. I literally threw my arc across my room.

I mean this all in a good way.
Randy
I can breathe again, now that I have finished this book. T- is a remarkable character, and the author has crafted his story with great care. At first I thought this was going to be just another book about bullying. I was wrong.

Dave
This story surprised me. I was all ready to write it off as fluff that would be a way for the author to voice his views for one cause or another, but it wasn't like that. It was a real hard look at the effects of being bullied. A book for everyone. Not just a shout out for the LGBTQ, or people of a certain skin colour or people of a certain faith. No, this book represented everyone. Something I found quite refreshing. At least I don't remember the main character being identified as one thing or ...more
Kristen
May 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this one, I really did. Goodreads readers seem to either hate it or love it. Unfortunately, the only thing I really loved were all of the photographs.

This is hard to read...for a number of reasons. It's not a nice story at all--the blurb says that Ryan "torments" T---, but that's not really accurate. Ryan is a sociopath and borderline (or not so borderline) psychopath who harasses, assaults, frames, blackmails...and worse. And NONE of the adults realize it, which seems sketchy.
Paula
Nov 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is not a bad book. It is either a one-star or a five-star book. If you give it anything in between, well, I don't know what you're thinking.

I decided on one star. Too much figurative language (from a kid narrator!), too many staggeringly stupid adults, too much raw evil. Too little gained by characters or the reader by the end. Too few answers.

Was that a flicker of growth or redemption I just saw? Too late. Book's over. Missed it.

The role of the photos in the storytelling was interesting,
Megan02
Feb 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is a very interesting book. It is not a bad book, just kinda crazy.

It went from being a story about an average kid who gets bullied to a story about killing people.

Absolutely nothing happens in the beginning which makes the book seem much longer. By the time something is finally happening, you are fed up and don't care.

Overall this was a very wild and frustrating read for me but I do recommend you read it.
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline.

Books about bullying do not circulate well in my library, and this one had other aspects that make me inclined to skip purchase.
Trisha
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
While I did appreciate the photos in the book - I thought many of them were really fascinating to look at - I thought the deepness felt forced and the violence was awful.
Maria Antonia
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Basic Plot: T— is the young man with the camera. And he's dealing with a lot of issues, including a disfiguring scar, and the school bullies. He finds an escape in photography. Then he strikes up an unlikely friendship with a homeless woman.

WHAT'S COOL...
1) Love the stuff about photography. As a photographer myself, I enjoyed the analysis of various famous photos that the teacher shows to T—. In addition, we have the actual black and white photos scattered throughout the book show a young
Courtenay
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an intriguing book. It gave me nightmares one night, made me yawn another. I was drawn to it by the photos as illustrations. My favorite character? Lucy. Never felt too close to T- (how close can you get when you don't even know a character's full name?) Hated the parents and the antagonist (-s, collectively, bully central) but that's the point. A book I couldn't NOT finish, but I'm not clear whether I hated more of it (parts) or loved it (parts). Do I recommend it? Not to middle grade ...more
Tara
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one will be so hard to review. I obviously felt it deserved the full 5 stars but explaining what I thought of the book is much tougher. It’s rare for me to find a book that truly impacts me, in good ways or bad. This one did both.
The compassion that T has for Lucy made my heart smile. His friendships with a few characters felt genuine. And then there’s the one group of fellas. Oh my word. They made my skin crawl and literally sick to my stomach.
I have to give the author serious credit
A Person
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Young Man With A Camera

The book was about this character named T, T was a photographer and took photos of everything that caught his eye. He had many friends and foes, Ryan was the main person who bullied T. Ryan had bullied T since Kindergarten, Ryan was the type of person that only cared about himself and nobody else. T was a nice but quiet kid, cause of what Ryan had done to him.

I liked how the book could be random that it was almost impossible to guess what would happen. The characters
Liz Friend
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story: "T---" has been bullied all his life. His enemies are always waiting, ready to pounce, and ready to do their worst not just to T---, but to anyone else he cares about. When the 7th grader befriends a homeless woman, Ryan and his gang come in for the kill, and the terrifying results just get worse and worse. Is there anyone--ANYONE--he can turn to for help?

(NYP: September 2015.) June Cleaver's ratings: Language PG; Violence PG-13; Sexual content G; Nudity G; substance abuse PG; magic
Bailey
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought that this book was very suspenseful. After almost every chapter you read there was something new to figure out. Half the time I didn't want to put the book down! I wanted to continue reading and finish it. Although I liked this book, I did not like the ending. I did not like how it left you in the middle of a conflict. I do know that both Ryan and T- get out of Douglas Furrow at some point, but what happens when they get out? Are T- and Sean still friends? Does Ryan still have all of ...more
Alex
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unpredictable and thrilling, this book kept me gripped the entire time I read it (for the past two days, not for the several month gap.) It was the first book I can recall that, in my recent memory, compelled me to keep reading and not put the book down. The mystery-drama aspect was unexpected but well-written. The plot is deep and palpable, and emotions run high. A good read, for y'all "goodread"ers.
Lana
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great book it really got me into the story and got me thinking about life. Emil Sher is a great writer and I now want to read more of his books. Young man with a Camera was honestly the best book I have read in a while. I love this book it gives you great advice on how to look at things. Thanks to the book I now don't look at a bag for just a bag I look at a bag as something that holds my things and in return I hold it.
Emilou
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I did not like this book not because it was poorly written. This book was written very well, had a lot of good things in it and for the right person, would be a very good book. I just did not like how passive the main characters was. I do not enjoy books where people stand by while bad things happen.
Jenni
Aug 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF.

This was horrible. I dnf'd it half way through.

Worst book I've read in years.
Zoe
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyable.
Edwina
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what I want to say about this. I liked it, liked our main character. Read it, and see what you have to say about it. Made me want to take black and white photos.
Olivia
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book that changed the way that I thought about photography, art, and life.
Glenda
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked how part of the story is told through pictures taken by the "young man with camera".
Jaclyn
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful photographs, sad story about bullying and the people who are often overlooked.
Jyl Guessregen
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well written and wonderful characters. This book will stay with you for a long while
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Playing for the Devil's Fire
  • Pet
  • Shooter
  • Brooklyn, Burning
  • Everland (Everland, #1)
  • Leggings Revolt
  • Upstaged
  • Across the Floor
  • Last of Her Name
  • Operatic
  • Prison Boy
“Sometimes you can feel old-sweatshirt comfortable with someone you've just met and two-left-shoes awkward with people you've known for ages.” 3 likes