Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “What Remains” as Want to Read:
What Remains
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

What Remains

by
3.87  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
In less than a second...
... two of the things Cal Ryan cares most about--a promising baseball career and Lizzie, one of his best friends--are gone forever.

In the hours that follow...
...Cal's damaged heart is replaced. But his life will never be the same.

Everyone expects him to pick up the pieces and move on.

But Lizzie is gone, and all that remains for Cal is an overwhelmin
...more
Paperback, First Edition, 288 pages
Published May 8th 2015 by Flux
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about What Remains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Remains

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Sarah
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Flux and NetGalley.)

“Everything changes,” I whisper into her hair which smells a little like paint thinner. “It won’t always be this hard.”



This was an interesting YA contemporary story about a boy who loses his best friend.

I felt quite sorry for Cal in this story; it was easy to see why he felt guilty over Lizzie’s death, even if it wasn’t really his fault, and to then find out what he found out was e
...more
Kaya Dimitrova
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
„Парченца от нашия живот” е една от онези книги, които бих описала като топла прегръдка. На моменти романът наистина ми идваше по – тежичък, отколкото ми се искаше с цялата болка и вина, които държеше в себе си героят, но в по – голямата част от сюжета се прокрадваха онези слънчеви лъчи, или иначе казано - всичко, което доказа на Кал, главният герой, че заслужава да изживее своя „втори живот”: приятелите и семейството – неотлъчно до него, бейзболът – бягство и спасително въже и... да, любовта – ...more
Tedy
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bulgarian review: https://bookishipster.wordpress.com/2...

At first when i started this book i thought it would be really sad, but i'm glad i was wrong. Yes, 'What Remains' has its sad moments and thoughts but it gave me some happy feelings too. I overall really enjoyed reading it, it was different in its own way and i'm glad i got a chance to read it.
Iliana Simeonova
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Парченца от нашия живот" е книга, която ни кара да се замислим за важните хора около себе си, за това как бихме се чувствали след като някой от тях вече ги няма, дали бихме се оставили на болката, завличайки ни в бездната на отчаянието или да се борим за лъч надежда и да намерим начин да живеем с болката от загубата.
Колкото и тъжа да е историята на главния герой Кал и най-добрия му приятел Спенсър имаше моменти, в които се засмивах, не зареди моята безчувственост (ол не книгата здравата ми пов
...more
Sue Alieva
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Понякога да искаш е толкова хубаво, колкото и да имаш."
В една трета от книгата плаках, в другата една трета се смях, а в останалата част, изумена или възмутена се питах "Защо?????"
Книгата беше уникална и се радвам, че имах възможността да я прочета. Всеки има нужда от време на време да прочете нещо, което да го разтърси чак до костите, а тази книгата беше точно такава.
цялото ревю: http://queenoflunaelibri.blogspot.bg/...
Adiee
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
actual rating: 3.5*
Pamela Petkova
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Една много истинска история, която показна че не всичко е изпълнено с дъги. Хубаво е от време на време да се чете нещо такова, поне за разнообразие. Въпреки че не съм почитател на точно този тип истории, защото ме натъжават, но когато е написана добре умее да те докосне.
Helene
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A love story of three friends. I wrote this book for all those who know their friends will always be with them, no matter what. Follow your heart.
Lazar
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
"Парченца от нашия живот" разказва историята на тримата най-добри приятели Кал,Спенсър и Лизи.Те са неразделни и дават всичко един за друг.До фаталния миг,който завинаги променя всичко.След катастрофата,която убива Лизи,присаждат сърцето и на Кал и той започва да чува гласа и в главата си.




Още от началото книгата плени интереса ми и не ми позволи да я оставя до последната страница.Историята е разказана по увлекателен начин и стилът на писане е много добър.Чете се много бързо и въпреки че резюмето
...more
Антоанета
За да коментирам тази книга, трябва да издам някои неща от сюжета, така че предупреждавам за СПОЙЛЕРИ!!!




Много исках да ми хареса, но определено не се получи. Темата е много сериозна. Приятелство! Катастрофа! Смърт! Трансплантация на сърце!
И все пак не повярвах на тази книга. Изобщо не ми беше достоверна. Ясно, че е художествена измислица и може случващото се да се интерпретира както авторът си пожелае, но този начин мен не ме трогна, не ме докосна.
Кал, Спенсът и Лизи са най-добри приятели от как
...more
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
Source: Flux via Netgalley free of charge for honest review
I wanted to read this one because I liked the sound of their friendship, and the story of loss.... of one of his best friends and the sport that was such a huge part of his life are ripped from him. The promise of soul searching and figuring out his identity without what he had based so much of himself on.

I did like that it started in a place before his loss, and I got to see the depth of his friendship with Lizzie and Spencer. Lizzie
...more
Melissa Robles
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's official. Helene Dunbar's books have become my go-to reads if I ever want to read something extraordinarily touching, heart-breaking and inspiring. Just like with the first book I read of her, These Gentle Wounds, What Remains came into my life to beautifully ruin my happy state of mind. It's been several days since I finished this book and I still cannot recover from it.

There's no point of me explaining the book's plot since the summary does a good job of it, but I will tell you that even
...more
Holly
*eARC kindly provided by Flux via NetGalley*
This is a pretty spoilery one!


An emotional, and sometimes heartbreaking, journey told all in one boy's POV. A guy who has two best friends but is ripped away from one of them forever. A boy who has to come to terms, not just with Lizzie's death, but with the beat of her heart in his chest. I found his journey to be full of growth and acceptance. But I have to say, I was a wee bit disappointed with the romance. I would have liked it if the author had ex
...more
Naboukhodonosor
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-yes
finally a good book. i love love love it so much.
Brittany
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like be Dunbar’s writing. It knocks you on your butt with shock and honesty. Cal is struggling through a massive sea of pain and confusion after his life changes in an instant.

Cal’s vulnerability makes him such a poignant character that shook me, as a reader. This book really explores the complicated path of grief and how it’s cyclical and not just a straight arrow to relief.

It’s a beautiful book.
Мари
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
actual 4.5 stars.
Това е една невероятна книга! Обичам я.
Калина Минчева
Замисляща и емоционално наситена, моят тип тийн история!
Julie Shaul
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book What Remains is a story that is exciting, sad, and heartbreaking. The main character, Calvin (or Cal) Ryan, is a junior in high school. He has a promising career in baseball, and he could do anything he dreams of doing, even though his mom says sports are a hobby and not a good career. The book mainly follows Cal, but his two best friends, Lizzie and Spencer are also very important characters to the story. Spencer and Cal have spent their whole life taking care of Lizzie to make sure sh ...more
Megan
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on my blog http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk

I really enjoyed What Remains. I didn't really know what I was expecting but the journey the characters went on was fantastic and I wanted more of their story.

The Story

I haven't read a story about a heart transplant before and the effects it has on the recipient. But I found the concept really interesting and it really felt like the author has researched it really well. But this story is also about true friendship and Grief. I loved the
...more
Kayla
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-for-review
Thank you to NetGalley and Flux books for the advanced electronic copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Cal, Spencer, and Lizzie have always been friends. The three juniors have their own interests (baseball, drama, and art) but look out for and support one another. Lizzie’s home life isn’t that great, with an apathetic mom and her creeper boyfriends, so Cal and Spencer are always available for late night rescues. After taking their SATs, the trio set out on a weekend getaway with C
...more
Nina Rossing
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Helene Dunbar is so good at writing different relationships! In her previous novel, "These Gentle Wounds", she was terrific at sibling relationships, and in this one she has a lovely portrayal of friendship between two boys and a girl, and also a sweet, quiet romance developing.
I thought the story was slow moving to start with (I like this if it pays off in the end), and the story truly grew on me. The latter half of it flew by, in a good way, convincing me that this book is a gem.
The character
...more
Alyssa
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, realistic, arc, glbtq
Again pleasantly surprised. I wasn't going to pick this one up because I'm not big on baseball books, but I couldn't stop thinking of how interesting the heart transplant thing could be! I loved this one, especially the tension between Cal and Spencer after Lizzie's death. The friendship between Cal, Spencer, and Lizzie was unique and awesome. The ending tied up well and the closure was perfect after all of the emotions the reader experiences throughout the story.
Thanks NetGalley for the opportu
...more
Sarvenaz Tash
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, poetic writing tell a heart-wrenching story of loss and renewal. I love that the author took her time exploring all of the depths of the characters and the complexity of their feelings around a very complex situation and for each other. This was one of those books where I really had no idea where it was going to go next but felt like I was in very capable hands the whole time as the story unfolded.
Heather Hollister
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The character I can relate the most to is Lizzie. I had an alcoholic in my life growing up. I am glad that Spencer and Cal were there for Lizzie to help her when she needed it. Cal has been through loss in his life. I am glad that Cal is talking to Ally. I think she will be good for him. This book is well written. This book makes you wonder what will happen next. Give this book a try. I know I'm glad I did.
Alisha Klapheke
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As usual, Helene Dunbar's storytelling leaves me breathless. This surprisingly twisty tale is achingly sad, but it lifted me up first here, then again, before finally pulling me out of the dark completely. Believable characters, humor, and a heart laid bare puts What Remains with my top picks for contemporary YA fiction.
Chris Tower
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Helene Dunbar has written a beautiful and poignant love story with a literally "heart-wrenching" twist. Her deft touch graces every page. Her characters are engaging and vibrant. The story is an emotional roller coaster, and it made me cry. It's a rich and captivating novel.
Ralitsa  Koleva
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: others
Ревю: https://bloodyrosered.wordpress.com/2...

Според мен човек трябва да е в определен момент от животът си или да е преживял нещо близо до случващото се за да може да оцени напълно книги като тази.
Michaela
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very beautifully written story that can teach you how to love, to let go of things, be grateful for what you have and live life to the fullest! Loved every single bit of this book! ♡
Lala
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
"But I guess what remains after someone you love dies aren't the things you can reach out and touch. When you love someone, that love changes you for better or worse. So in a way, maybe they're never truly gone."

Wow, it was only towards the end of this story that Dunbar's prose really swept me away. I do truly enjoy her writing, but I can't say this one was quite as good as her first book, These Gentle Wounds, which was incredible.

I think my favourite thing about this book was being inside of C
...more
Aya
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Исках да ми хареса, дори очаквах да поплача, но книгата не успя да ме докосне. Историята буквално "тъпче на едно място". Сравняват книгата с творчеството на Джон Грийн, единственото което ще кажа е, че историите на Грийн са класи над тази книга.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
  • Nothing Left to Burn
  • Frayed
  • Just Friends
  • #famous
  • My Seventh-Grade Life in Tights
  • Higher Octave (Heavy Influence, #2.5)
  • The Gallery of Unfinished Girls
  • My So-Called Bollywood Life
  • Summer of Sloane
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
  • The Art of Getting Stared At
  • One of the Guys
  • Little & Lion
  • You Were Here
  • In a Perfect World
  • Dear Martin
  • Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru (Creative HeArts, #1; Sloane and Tru #1)
  • It Started With Goodbye
132 followers
Helene Dunbar is the author of BOOMERANG (2018), BLOOD MAKES NOISE (Sourcebooks 2019), and PRELUDE FOR LOST SOULS (Sourcebooks 2020) as well as THESE GENTLE WOUNDS, and WHAT REMAINS. Over the years, she's worked as a drama critic, journalist, and marketing manager, and has written on topics as diverse as Irish music, court cases, theater, and Native American Indian tribes. She lives in Nashville w ...more
More about Helene Dunbar

Young Adult Deals

  • Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Just a Drop of Water
    $7.99 $1.99
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • A Knot in the Grain and Other Stories
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »