Start by marking “Close Encounters of the Furred Kind” as Want to Read:
Close Encounters of the Furred Kind

Close Encounters of the Furred Kind

Have you ever moved house, over a distance of 350 miles, with four cats? If you haven't, and are thinking about it, I'll give you some advice: don't.

If you really must move, try to get the cats to arrange their own transport. Focus on yourself instead. You'll have plenty to think about as it is, and the cats will only get in the way with their sarcasm and hairballs. I mov
Published October 8th 2015 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about Close Encounters of the Furred Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close Encounters of the Furred Kind

Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
My current cat is often referred to as 'Eight pounds of tyranny' -- subject to change at the yearly weigh-in at the vet, though I think (I hope) we peaked at nine pounds of tyranny. I'm an unabashed cat lover, but I almost never read books about cats. I try, from time to time: there was Homer, and then Dewey, but I couldn't get through either because my tolerance for sentimental feel-good heroic animal stories is basically zero.

This is why Close Encounters of the Furred Kind is such a breath of
Lydia
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I was debating between a 3- and a 4-star for this because I tend to only give books that really affect me on an emotional level, or that are truly wonderful pieces of literature, four stars. But honestly I had so much fun reading this I just decided to go for the 4-star rating. This was just a joy to read and I laughed out loud in places. I think if you love cats then you'll probably enjoy this book. It was just super enjoyable to read and so much better than I was expecting it to be.
Kirsti
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As always, I love Tom Cox and his four cats, Roscoe, Shipley, Ralph and of course the Bear. His books about cats are laugh out loud funny, and especially true to anyone who owns a cat. I particularly like how Ralph calls his own name; when my cat Ivan was an only child he used to spend hours calling in the bathroom for 'Raoul'. When we got a new kitten. Forde, Ivan decided he'd spent enough time searching for the elusive Raoul and he's never done it again! It's stories like Ralph's that remind m ...more
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I sure enjoyed reading once again about Tom's cats. Its amazing that The Bear lives to be 20 years old! In this one he adopts a new stray cat and names it George. George is a great cat and very beautiful but his parent's cat gets killed and they want George. So his father trades him some FOOKIN' wood for the cat. Tom feels its a bad bargain but what can he do? George settles right in a makes a new friend of a white cat that lives there so it all works out.

My sister suggested the first book to m
Connie Fischer
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tom Cox and his girlfriend, Gemma, live in the UK in a fair-sized home. After having lived there for a number of year, they are ready for a move to another area. Tom takes the reader through the miseries of packing up and throwing out things in preparation for the move. Along the way, he introduces the reader to his four cats. He tells us little stories of each cat’s personality and how they all fit into the family and the neighborhood.

When it’s finally moving day, we share his agony of moving
Haneen
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A bittersweet read, since I picked up this book before The Bear died but started reading it after this sad event. I've read another of Cox's books (The Good, the Bad, & the Furry) in addition to some of his online writings and find him to be very talented. I first heard of his cats from Twitter and his account: @mysadcat, chronicling the life of sweet Bear. I love how he describes his cats with such quality characteristics and tells of their quirks and daily comings and goings. Each one: The ...more
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75*s for just the cute factor.
There is something a little odd to the level he anthropomorphizes his cats, but I do the same all the time with my own. It was just amusing to see it on the page. This is also a very 'cat' book. It's not light on it, so if you don't like cats then it's not going to be a book you'll enjoy. If you love them, and watch cat gifs for fun then this is the book for you. It was super easy and readable, exactly what I needed while I was sick. I'll definitely pick up oth
Hilary
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comfort-and-fun
What's left to say really?

Once you've become hooked on Tom and his cats, are devoted to The Bear and very fond of all the others there can never be enough books about them all. This one followed George's progression to his new and eventually very happy re-housing and so we had several great chapters with TOM COX'S DAD appearing and HE IS ALWAYS A JOY.
Becky Black
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The trials of owning a cadre of cats, moving house with them, getting them used to a new home and trying to integrate a new cat into the group - with only marginal success. Guest starring Tom's very patient girlfriend, lovely mum and VERY LOUD WOOD-CHOPPING DAD. Lots of fun for cat lovers. If you don't already have a cat, expect to start talking yourself into obtaining several after reading this.
Claire Davidson
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
No matter where you read this book - on a train or bus in rush hour traffic crammed with other people as you make the dash home from another bad day at work - it will make you feel as though you are wearing your comfiest pajamas curled up on your favourite sofa with a mug of hot chocolate.

Perhaps home is the safest place to read this wonderful gem, as it WILL make you laugh out loud, grin to yourself like that loon on the bus which nobody wants to sit next to, and maybe even shed a tear in plac
Janine
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not only do Tom Cox and Gemma wish to find the perfect home for themselves, they have four cats that they want to be sure will be happy as well. The ups and downs of house hunting from a distance and moving are told in Tom’s witty style. While reading, I found myself nervous and worrying just like they were. It was just like being there with them. I enjoyed learning about each of their cats and their personalities. Tom’s dad comes across larger than life with the capital letters he writes him in ...more
Peter Tillman
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cat people
Shelves: sci-tech
Cat memoir, his fourth, I think. 3.5 stars, but variable. Best parts approach 5 stars.

His account of living with 4 cats -- 5, for awhile -- in the English countryside. I can't imagine the disorder from 4 cats, and he discovers that 5 is over the limit. Not surprisingly.

His parents are pretty entertaining too, and also cat-fanciers. It's a pretty slim book, maybe 2 or 3 hours reading, when you skip over the filler stuff. Cautiously recommended for fellow cat lovers.
Bethnoir
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love sharing Tom Cox's cat life, the amusing and touchingly written book finished too soon.
Ruth
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sweet because it's about cats, but not especially well written. In fact, pretty lazy writing from a man who is a full-time writer.
Maj
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers, nature lovers, cat people
When I find a book series, or an author I enjoy, I tend not to gobble all up in one go, wanna savour it.
In the case of Tom Cox, I was about to read a book I also helped to fund (in a tiny, inconsequential way) via Unbound - 21st-Century Yokel. But then I realised I hadn't read the one preceding it.

And so I dove into what I think is the last cat-oriented book of Tom's oeuvre. For me personally, it's unique among the "cat books" preceding it, because it's the first one consisting of Stuff that I'
T.E. Shepherd
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You can't read this book, the fourth in the quartet of Tom Cox 'catoirs', without feeling the weight of sadness that it is nearing the end for The Bear aka @mySADcat who died almost exactly a year ago. Reading this book is therefore so much more like reading an epitaph to the adventure.

It is also a return to the form of the first two books. After the third book which I felt had lost its way somewhat from the story of a man living in with an uncontrollably increasing number of feline waifs and s
Andrea
Like its predecessors, this book chronicles the author's daily life and misadventures with his several cats in a series of humorous, contemplative essays. This installment finds them moving house and adjusting to new neighbors and environs, among other things. There is plenty of humor here, but also a depth of emotion; life isn't always pleasant, and the book deals thoughtfully with some of the difficulties that arise. I found myself laughing out loud at several points, but also choking up a bit ...more
Anthony
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally one for all the cat lovers out there this is! This is not said to exclude anyone but I think you have to be a bit of a cat person to appreciate Tom Cox's comedy and piss-taking where living with a cat or cats is or are concerned.

Shipley (one of Tom's cats) and Tom's Dad are the scene-stealers in this book. Whilst what takes place in the story is funny enough but it's the inserts between each chapter that made me LOL for real - there's "Ten Short Conversations I Have Had With Cats", "Adv
Holly
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir of the author and his cats and I cannot wait to read his others. I have enjoyed following him and his cats exploits online and it is satisfying to get a deeper look at these real life characters through his book. Even though the Bear and Shipley are no longer with us, their stories will live on through these works and I appreciate that so much.
Also a shout out to the author’s mother’s wonderful artwork!
Heino Colyn
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm always guaranteed of having a good time when I pick up a book by Tom and his gang. I'm also guaranteed of at least one lump in my throat and giving my cat extra hugs. This time, the experience was bittersweet because I know things changed a lot since this book was written. That said, I tried to ignore most of that and just enjoy hanging out with everyone, especially The Bear, who I still think of as my spirit animal.
Becky Bullock
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Firmly into a rhythm now, Cox describes the hecticness of normal life plus 4 cats to a tee. Despite being under a great deal of stress, he writes with his characteristic wit and blunt charm, telling it like it is and pawing no punches. Drama, mystery, excitement and suspense, all trundling along with a healthy dose of cynicism and sarcasm. A heart warming read.
Ben
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming hilarity in the form of simple, deftly observed daily adventures with a handful of cats. Cox also excels at creating an evocative and endearing sense of place; as for me, I immediately wanted to move to Devon the second the book was over.
Victoria Frow
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good. Easy to read. Recommend to any cat lovers.
Melissa
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Review to follow......
Carol
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tom relates his move to Devon from Norfolk in England with The Bear, Ralph, Shipley and Roscoe ... truly an adventure that should not be engaged by the weak of heart. The Bear is stoic as always. A new cat - George - tries to adopt Tom. The stories are laugh out loud funny... told as only a man owned by his cats can tell them...from the heart. The only thing that spoiled the book somewhat for me was the same thing that happened with the first book...the constant foul language. The story was good ...more
Vontel
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Not sure how I came to request this book of short stories from the library. It does have a waiting list. Definitely a book a cat lover-and anyone with an acquaintance with cats-would like. The book also involves selling a house and moving the challenges of rentals, especially with cats, and long commutes. Some good observations about people, interesting descriptions about Devon, part of the West counties of England. Otherwise, a bit fluffy. Definitely a low stress book.
Noelle Walsh
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was a fun read! Even though I'm reading it after the death of the wonderful feline known as The Bear, I enjoyed immensely another glimpse into his life while he was still here. Any fan of said The Bear will love catching those glimpses. Now I just want to go scoop up more of Tom's books and enjoy his other writings.
Sarah Carless
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prompts wistful memories of all the cats you've ever loved

I love Tom Cox's work. All his anecdotes & recordings nudge out your own recollections of beloved felines and ring resonating reminder bells of their exploits and characters.
Anna Belkovska
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love
It helps to deal with my tortures brain.
Monet
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humorous, memoir
I'd fetch a quote from it but I already loaned it to someone who needs to read it. Currently reading Tom's next book, and it's a loaner/keeper too.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
TwitBookClub: June 2016 - 'Close Encounters of the Furred Kind' by Tom Cox 1 1 Jun 18, 2016 10:47AM

• Animals Strike Curious Poses
  • The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat
  • The Cat Who'll Live Forever: The Final Adventures of Norton, the Perfect Cat, and His Imperfect Human
  • The Spotted Sphinx
  • Why Cats Paint: A Theory of Feline Aesthetics
  • On Cats
  • Adventures With the Wife in Space: Living With Doctor Who
  • The Cat Who Came Back for Christmas- How a Cat Brought a Family the Gift of Love
  • Elizabeth I: A Study in Insecurity
  • Nul Points
  • Strays: A Lost Cat, a Homeless Man, and Their Journey Across America
  • The Secret Teacher: Dispatches from the Classroom
  • Bomb Girls: Britain's Secret Army: The Munitions Women of World War II
  • A Letter to My Cat: Notes to Our Best Friends
  • Paw Tracks in the Moonlight
  • The Private Lives of the Saints: Power, Passion and Politics in Anglo-Saxon England
  • Good Birders Don't Wear White: 50 Tips From North America's Top Birders