Start by marking “Sex, Soldiers and the South Pacific, 1939-45: Queer Identities in Australia in the Second World War” as Want to Read:

Military and civilian worlds have an uneasy relationship. They inform and intersect with one another in complex and competing ways. Sex, Soldiers and the South Pacific, 1939-45 explores how life in and out of uniform shaped Australia's queer identities in the 1940s. Queensland – with its massive throngs of local and foreign servicemen – provides an unusually detailed tapes ...more
Published August 5th 2015 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published July 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Sex, Soldiers and the South Pacific, 1939-45, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex, Soldiers and the South Pacific, 1939-45

Start your review of Sex, Soldiers and the South Pacific, 1939-45: Queer Identities in Australia in the Second World War
Anna Hepworth
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sadly, I was only a chapter or so into this fascinating book when the library required me to return it. I have hopes of being able to access it elsewhere, and getting further through -- I found the details about erasure of identities to be particularly poignant.
Wolfram-Jaymes VonKeesing
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poc-characters, queer
A real eye-opener, this one. I was amazed to discover a community of queer men thriving in pre-war Brisbane and the effects left on our way of life by the American occupation. Some stories you'll want to believe more than others, but rest assure Smaal's sources are reliable. I found it pleasurable and informative, and recommend flicking through it in whatever order appeals to you most.
Carrie
Jul 02, 2019

• Moab Is My Washpot
  • Hear the Wind Sing
  • Medical Muses: Hysteria in Nineteenth-Century Paris
  • The Long Divorce (Gervase Fen, #8)
  • The Trauma Cleaner: One Woman's Extraordinary Life in the Business of Death, Decay, and Disaster
  • The Temple
  • A Place Called Winter
  • A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1)