Start by marking “Berserk, Vol. 5” as Want to Read:
Berserk, Vol. 5

Berserk, Vol. 5

(ベルセルク / Berserk #5)

He is Guts, the Black Swordsman, a warrior of legendary prowess — relentless, fearless, merciless. As cold and brutal as the iron of the massive sword he wields. Bent on revenge against the unholy forces that have branded him for sacrifice, but especially on Griffith, one of the demon lords of the Godhand. But Griffith was once a man, the leader of the Hawks, a renowned ca ...more
Published October 26th 2004 by Dark Horse Manga (first published March 31st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Berserk, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Berserk, Vol. 5

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriBleach, Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
Best Manga Books
504 books — 485 voters
Prince of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceThe Blade Itself by Joe AbercrombieA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinKing of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceLast Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie
The Grimdarks
352 books — 976 voters

More lists with this book...

Maria
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OHMYGKGJYIK WHAT A BEAUTIFUL GEM.
I’m living for the Guts/Griffith/Casca dynamics. I’m happy to see Guts finally learn to trust and rely on his comrades AND be respected and appreciated in return.
And don’t even get me started on the battle scenes!!!!! Epic as Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. SO GOOD.
I’m obsessed.
Hiba Arrame
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly cannot believe myself. I, a person who the sight of blood disgusts and who despises looking at it or at open wounds, am actually enjoying this.
It's certainly getting better with each volume.
توفيق عبد الرحيم
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
lets talk about the details i have never seen so much details in most of the panels in any comic book or manga before this one
i mean gantz had its moments
but the amount of detailed panels here is overwhelming
i laughed so hard at the naked water fun scene and it kind of settled me down that Griffith is a guy i am convinced since guts didn't shout oh my god you are a girl you got a ....
Nosferatu zodd fight was epic they got beaten badly and there was no way for them to win not at this level an
L. McCoy
… Holy fuck, I didn’t think this series could get better or more violent than the previous volumes. This is both.

What’s it about?
And we’re at that point where I’m not even going to try explaining that because I’d spoil all kinds of shit. I noticed that it seems to be that way after 3 or so volumes of a series!

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story is possibly the most gripping and well written story in manga and possibly even fantasy!
The art is so damn good! Maybe even the best art in manga! Also it can
Karissa
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the 5th volume in the Berserk series. In this volume we watch over the years as Guts takes greater responsibility in the Band of the Hawk and gains Griffith’s admiration through his awesome fighting skills.

This volume culminates in a confrontation between Guts, Griffith and Nosferatu Zodd..aka..Zodd the Immortal. What follows is a spectacular battle scenes that stretches the limits of both Griffith and Guts’ abilities. After the dust settles the Band of Hawk is in a better position than
Adelina
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, manga, horror
Things are going to get really bad, aren't they?
Monsour
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After a successful sneak attack on a certain job. Gut's becomes a full time member of the Band of Hawks. Time has pass and Gut's becomes Raider Captain of their mercenary group. Griffith's now taking flavors to the royal family of Midland. Now finally getting adoration for the nobility that he crave for along time.

Yet the fun ends there when a unknown individual give both of them the taste of the unknown.
C. Varn
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Artistically, Kentaro Miura hits his stride here. His line work and character design is far more consistent at this point. End of the Golden Age and Nosferatu Zod arcs make the extended flashback in the movement of the flashbacks seem justified, which some are frustrated by and which has been over-represented in other media. However, the Guts and Griffith's relationship becomes clarified as well as the dark undercurrents of Griffith's ultimate plan. Highly enjoyable.
Vrixton Phillips
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
yay a demon thingy
am I the only one really annoyed by Casca? or is that normal? I just don't see why she's mad at Guts for Griffin clearly not being into chicks lol. Or specifically her.
Michael Nash
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm convinced that Berserk has a fascinating plot because of seeing the outlines of it in the anime and hearing about it from friends. However, it has the myriad problems of the medium; weird pacing where plot scenes are over in a flash and combat scenes take page after page of blow-by-blow panels, and I can't figure out what's going on in the combat half the time anyway. The medium appears to lose a lost in translation as well. So I will be reading the next one, but probably not for a while.
Michael Sorbello
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So much went down in this volume. Guts has learned how to trust and open up to others after a life of physical, mental and sexual abuse. Griffith is an amazingly complex character who seems to share both brotherly and subtle hints of romantic feelings towards Guts. Guts cares about Griffith, but the romantic feelings Griffith may or may not have for him is one-sided. The Band of the Hawk is a very lovable group of characters all linked together through the power of Griffith's charisma.

Everything
Artemy
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
[This is my review for Berserk volumes 1–7]

So, this is the last volume of Berserk for me, at least for a while. I borrowed these from my buddy who is a huge fan of the series, and if he had more books, I would probably keep reading. Sadly, only the first seven volumes were published here in Russia before the publisher abandoned the project, so that's all that my friend has in borrowable paper format.

I can't really decide how I feel about Berserk, honestly. It has a lot going for it: the artwork
Malon
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
And here we see the web of relationships within the band of the hawk begin to form. Guts still goes from fight to fight, without having thought much about why he does this or why he keeps deliberately putting himself in harm's way. And he's beginning to feel some existential dread from not having considered why he lives the way he does. His unexamined and dangerous actions justifiably frustrate Casca. But because he does not understand his own motivations and feels the dread that entails, he las ...more
Darryl Knickrehm
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Miura has final found his stride. The artwork has become consistent and quite good. And I can finally see why we've gone to this lengthy flashback, because now it's finally linking together (with the necklace). A monster too has finally shown its ugly face, and is rendered amazingly well. I don't care for the Griffith character much. It feels really odd that he is drawn so extremely feminine, but is suppose to be a man. I think this whole flashback could have been much shorter (less than 1 book) ...more
Aleksandra
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
There are like three panels in this volume I would die for. They are too pretty, how dare you Kentaro Miura.

The rest of the volume bloody gorgeous, if it’s not clear.
Monika Spancheska
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Vol 5 aka the infamous nude water splashing scene.

So, I put this volume off a lot, because the last one left a really nasty taste in my mouth, between Casca's insufferable character and the blatant gay panic/queer baiting going on with Griffith and Gatts. However, this volume is back on track and, despite some minor complaints, I really liked it.

Let's get it out of the way. Griffith continues to flirt with Gatts, tough at least here, it's clear his motivations are a little more complex, and so
Reija
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating: 3,5 stars

Pros:
- Art is getting really amazing. Especially all the scenes with Zodd, the art was top notch
- Guts is showing his humanity and getting to show his emotions. He's becoming a more well rounded character
- More foreshadowing for future events with the Godhand

Cons:
- Breakneck pacing. Miura...It's okay to take your time and show character interactions and actually characterise your growing cast as opposed to making them caricatures...Could have used a chapter or two of Guts intera
Katy
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horror fans, manga fans
Not as strong as the previous volume, but it’s always fun to read about Guts and his antics. The art did get a little weird in this one, at times—for example, some panels with Griffith during the naked-water-fight scene, and Casca’s overly-pouty lips. Still, the detail is exquisite and there’s plenty of gore contrasted with pretty things to look at. In terms of plot, this volume is mostly set-up, although there’s quite a bit of action in the middle half with the introduction of Zodd. As always, ...more
Kassilem
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This volume picks up with the cliffhanger that Miura left us in the last volume and continues through Gut's past. Half of it is Guts as an adolescence and the other half is where he's a young man. I love both parts. There's more dialogue in this arc than in the first arc and the detail is clearer. And the story keeps getting more interesting. I like this volume because it shows that while Guts is a great swordsman, he's not invincible. And Zodd is the first supernatural creature that Guts goes u ...more
Ella
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, manga
Five stars in a row for five volumes is probably the kindest I've ever been to a series, and I'm a huge critic, and very hard to please. Miura's art here is incredibly consistent and clear, with clear emotion written into Guts' and Griffith's eyes and facial expressions really well. There's a lot of character development in this volume as well, with more depth into the relationship between Guts and Griffith. Casca is still disagreeable, and for some reason she gets a lot of flak for being a "bit ...more
Shane Kiely
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As impressive as always in terms of artwork (in particular how it depicts combat/large scale battle). Also impressive level of character development in the evolution of Guts relationship with Griffith & the Band of the Hawk. Slightly annoying how (like most of these tankobon volumes) it ends midway through a story arc.
M. Ashraf
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: berserk
Another good volume.
The story is moving forward.
We see the Behelit once again, The God Hand, Crimson Behelit / Egg of the Conqueror, and we get a prophecy from Nosferatu Zodd 3:) - great demonic fight - and it all come together to what will happen forward.
Liked the training, the gang around Gutts, the commander position, very detailed artwork ... Now waiting for the shit to hit the fan :p
Kyle
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What Berserk does an excellent job of doing early on is establishing the vulnerability, both phsyical and emotionally, of its protagonist, especially against Nosferatu Zodd. This volume outlines the relationship between Griffith and Guts well, and stands out as one of the strongest volumes presented as far, with action and character development to boot.
Luke Latimer-Palomeque
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Getting into familiar territory as the manga catches up with the anime I very much enjoyed!!

So, I already know what the next few books will entail but I can't wait to read them still!!

Awesome volume to an already awesome series! Just hope the next volumes aren't such a long wait to get at a decent price!

Reprints please!

5/5
Peter Barr
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The 5th in the series of the Berserk graphic novels continues as part adventure and mythology and the beginnings of intrigue. The characters are being revealed slowly. The main characters, Guts, his currently part of a band of mercenaries that are being legitimized by their leader. That's pretty much the story here without giving up too much.
Lateef Amodu
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This volume continues with Guts’ origin story, with the Band of the Hawks. The story gets exciting when Guts and the Band of the Hawk have an encounter with a 100-year-old mythical beast named Zodd. As always, brilliant illustrations.
Josh Broccolo
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Miura found his groove and I'm really enjoying it. The artwork can be inconsistent (strange proportions when attempting different angles), but overall it's gotten better; stronger lines and lots of 2-page spreads that look like they took a long time to flesh out all the details.
Rocco
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Plenty of action and a stronger focus on character development than the previous volumes. Great foreshadowing, and some surprisingly whimsical moments. Overall, this is a great volume that plants some seeds for future conflicts.
Chris Whybrow
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: awesome
In volume 5, we see insight into more of Griffith's character, the beginning of his rise to power, and an encounter with an enemy that cannot be beaten by screaming at it and cutting it in half.

Excellent, like the others.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Claymore, Vol. 4: Marked for the Death (Claymore, #4)
  • Vagabond, Volume 10
  • Hellsing, Vol. 05 (Hellsing, #5)
  • Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, Vol. 1 (Basilisk, #1)
  • Vinland Saga, Tome 4
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 13: Mirror of the Soul
Kentarou Miura (三浦 建太郎) was born in Chiba City, Chiba Prefecture, Japan, in 1966. He is left-handed. In 1976, at the early age of 10, Miura made his first Manga, entitled "Miuranger", that was published for his classmates in a school publication; the manga ended up spanning 40 volumes. In 1977, Miura created his second manga called Ken e no michi (剣への道 The Way to the Sword), using Indian ink for t ...more

ベルセルク / Berserk (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Berserk, Vol. 1
  • Berserk, Vol. 8
  • Berserk, Vol. 9
  • Berserk, Vol. 10
  • Berserk, Vol. 11
“Man takes up the sword in order to shield the small wound in his heart sustained in a far-off time beyond remembrance.

Man wields the sword so that he may die smiling in some far-off time beyond perception.”
1 likes