Start by marking “Berserk, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Berserk, Vol. 2

Berserk, Vol. 2

(ベルセルク / Berserk #2)

The evil Count uses his dark powers to transform a defeated guard captain into an inhuman horror to combat Guts, the Black Swordsman. Meanwhile, Guts' pint-sized elf sidekick, Puck, is captured and given as a gift to the Count's daughter, a sweet girl in a gilded cage, imprisoned by her father in her own room. Guts, determined to make mincemeat of the Count - and maybe bai ...more
Published December 21st 2004 by Dark Horse Manga (first published March 3rd 1991)

juan carlos
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Un monje que lleva en su interior un demonio lleno de tantaculos que le encanta devorar seres humanos, violarlos, partirlos en dos, decapitarlos y múltiples abominaciones más.

¿Para qué leer berserk 2?

1. Por que desde la primera pagina nos vamos a topar con llaves que despiertan demonios y referencias a la santa inquisición.
2. El protagonista un espadachín negro carga una espada más enorme que el que le servirá para romper huesos, liberar almas y enfrentar bestias demoníacas. En este caso a un
Michael Britt
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I forgot how much fun mangas are! Especially this one. I got into the anime because of my love for Dark Souls. This series is what influenced the creators of the Dark Souls franchise. You can really see the influence in these mangas.

There's not a whole lot to these stories, as they're rather short, but oh so much fun. Guts and his sword, Dragonslayer, are a delightfully dark duo. While I absolutely love the artwork, I do wish we could get a Guts story in the form of a novel. Mainly because I pr
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, manga
So Guts runs into this mutant doctor dude who begs him to kill a Count in revenge for murdering his family. You see, the Count ate his wife and child right in front of him.

Needless to say, this fucked the doctor dude up.

This Count guy, though - He's a real baller, and pretty much the entirety of this volume is him beating the shit out of Guts in one way or another.

There's also some cool stuff that goes down with Guts' little elf companion, Puck.

Again, like the first, this volume is full of demon
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jun 10, 2016 marked it as to-read
Berserk, Vol. 2 (Berserk #2), Kentaro Miura
Maria
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
holy mother of god. I’m SHOOK. this is the most gruesome and nasty thing I’ve ever read. I hope my boys Guts and Puck are okay.
Hassan
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD!!!
Carmine
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sui figli la colpa dei padri

Redenzione e riscatto non sembrano essere protagonisti di questo mondo; al massimo qualche viscido e aberrante senso di colpa ci scruta da dietro un muro, striscia nei vicoli e guizza via dalla nostra portata.
E mentre religione e ossessione giacciono in un mortale amplesso che spalanca orrori lovecraftiani, il mondo ereditato dai figli essuda sangue, sudore e merda; ma lo vedranno domani, oggi possiamo chiudere la finestra e distogliere lo sguardo.
José
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit! O_O
توفيق عبد الرحيم
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: رعب, manga
hmm why do i feel that every innocent character we see will be killed in cold blood
he cant kill off the elf though she is hilarious to watch all the time
but i don't know why i feel she might also get killed after she becomes old and not necessary anymore
anyway guts is beaten badly by the count
and the count's daughter escaped her confinement and i have a feeling that she will die and have an important part in the death of the count
anyway the journey is just getting started
and so far its amazin
Spencer
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story in this volume is more focussed and tightly written, improving upon the first. The art is amazing yet again and the violence/gore feels like it’s gone up another level! If you liked the first volume you’ll love this one.
Bookish Babbles
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so fun but the MC is such an ass to the poor elf😂 Very fun to read, nice and violent!!
Doğan
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gatts! o nasıl öfke o nasıl intikam arzusu. Mideniz sağlam değilse okumayın... :)
L. McCoy
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy who don’t mind gore.
So I just bought a bunch of comics and was going to wait until 2018 to read this because I have a bunch of stuff I’m currently reading and it would count towards my 2018 reading challenge but yeah, I couldn’t wait! This book’s freaking awesome!

What’s it about?
Gonna skip this bit because if you’ve read volume 1 you probably know what this is about and if you haven’t read volume 1 I’d just spoil a great book.

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story is dark, epic, interesting and growing.
The art is amazing! S
Karissa
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd volume in the Berserk series and continues the battle started in the first book. We find out that the evil Count is much more evil than even Guts first thought. The book is full of detailed battle scenes and we get a little more background on the brand Guts wears.

We also learn more about Guts as a character. Despite his bad attitude and the gruff and careless way he treats his companions, we find out that it does bother him some to leave the weak to their fate. However he’s fight
Malon
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As soon as the second volume, we're getting into an analysis of the protagonist's psyche. Guts is a broken human being that has been made monstrous by a cruel world. Throughout the volume, there's a theme of humanity overcoming monsters, flaws in all. But oftentimes, Guts's humanity is fleeting. Puck is used to underline this perfectly. They are well done opposites. A strong prick and a weak fairy with a heart of gold. Fargus's story is painfully tragic. His last conversation with Puck is touchi ...more
C. Varn
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While we have not yet reached the "Golden Age" arc and remain in the Counts storyline in the "Guardians of Desire"/"Black Swordsman", one can feel the writing getting slightly more complicated and Kentaro Miura's mythology begin to clarify. While the art is improving, some of the monsters are still somewhat over busy when combat begins. This arc is slower than the first, the Count backstory being hinted all and violence can be shocking. This builds up to some epic battles which go on for pages a ...more
Elias Alexander
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Holy crap that ending omg
Adam Spanos
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-horse, manga
In this volume, the battle with the Count continues from the first volume. Helping Guts is a strange man named Vargas, who wants nothing more than to see the count dead, yet is incapable of doing anything himself, as well as Puck, the little elf that constantly annoys/helps Guts throughout the manga. This volume also teaches us a little bit more about the brand on Guts's neck, as well as showing Guts rare, emotional side. And of course, it has heaps of violence, blood, and gore, along with a smi ...more
Michael Sorbello
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
An absolute slaughterfest. Guts and his massive blade against hordes of armored knights and demonic forces. The beginning of this volume sets up a lot of future plot points by introducing us to the Behilit, the God Hand, and the fact that even the demonic apostles are capable of emotions and having a family.

Guts is more complex than he leads people to believe as well. He's not a sociopathic anti-hero, he's a man that has no choice but to lie to himself to keep his emotions from crushing his spi
Chris
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
An improvement on the last one in story, at least. There still wasn't a ton of story, but there was enough to intrigue me. Main character is still a total ass. The elf/fairy guy is so-so (kind of annoying). Good action, but at times hard to parse. Some of the illustration looks amateurish at times.
Gilberto Soriano
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excelente historia de corte fantasía oscura. La imaginación de Kentaro no tiene límites al diseñar cada uno de los demonios o seres sobrenaturales de la historia. El guión avanza bien y te queda enganchado desde la primera viñeta.
Carolyn
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Getting more intrigued by this story!
Pardis Ahmadi
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
i just wish it was in colors :(
Markus Andersson
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To be continued ™ ...more
Ella
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, manga
Five stars five stars five stars. I'll scream it from the rooftops. This might be the best volume of Berserk ever. Pick it up and see why. Gruesome and loathsome to a tee, violently upsetting and emotionally destructive.
Nico
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Berserk follows a lot of typical manga/anime cliches, especially in the beginning. It's one of those that you could probably play a drinking game to! It'd be a shorter list to say what cliches DOESN'T Berserk have at this point.

So why read it? Well for one, it was the major inspiration for games like Dark Souls. Another is for the Golden Age arc. That arc alone is worth the read.

However, I'm not a fan of this volume. I'm only reading it again to have context for later volumes when the story ac
Andrew
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So, collecting these 'tankoban' volumes of Berserk has become a bit of an obsession for me. i read the first volume and got pulled into Miura's dark and amazing vision. however, i had a heck of a time finding this second volume so went ahead with vols 3 & 4. Glad i went back. as the story progresses, it seems that Miura has taken us back to a time when Guts was in his formative years under the torment of Gambino, onward to the eventual camaraderie and adventure within the Band of the Hawk. n ...more
Steve Magay
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Unlike the series and the OVA, the story is kinda slow, but readable since I wanna find out some of the story arcs the animation missed out. Though the pace is slow, the action in the pages compensates for it. The panel details and layout are terrific. The degree of violence still remains shocking. Now I'm starting to understand the original story was meant to be a fantasy. I'm glad they took that off from the animation and made it more subtle.
Jo Ladzinski
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I thought I would get easily annoyed by Puck, but his role in explaining the world of Berserk is so important. He provides a nice distraction from the unsettling horror that Guts fights in order to help the reader get a more human perspective. The exploration of the behelits is getting more and more interesting and it still really feels like I'm experiencing this epic work for the first time.
Diana Lynn
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Ok...it's already pretty epic. I really like Puck. I think he's a little like Guts' conscious. We see glimpses of guilt and sadness in Guts that make for a very interesting character. I've read two volumes tonight so far and I think I'm just going to jump right into the next one because this shit is good.
  • Gantz /10
  • Wolfsmund, Volume 1
  • Battle Royale, Vol. 05 (Battle Royale, #5)
  • エルフェンリート 6 [Elfen Lied 6]
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 10 (Deadman Wonderland, #10)
Kentarou Miura (三浦 建太郎) was born in Chiba City, Chiba Prefecture, Japan, in 1966. He is left-handed. In 1976, at the early age of 10, Miura made his first Manga, entitled "Miuranger", that was published for his classmates in a school publication; the manga ended up spanning 40 volumes. In 1977, Miura created his second manga called Ken e no michi (剣への道 The Way to the Sword), using Indian ink for t ...more

ベルセルク / Berserk (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Berserk, Vol. 1
  • Berserk, Vol. 8
  • Berserk, Vol. 9
  • Berserk, Vol. 10
  • Berserk, Vol. 11
“Living for the future is more important than trying to avenge the past.” 6 likes