Start by marking “Berserk, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Berserk, Vol. 1

Berserk, Vol. 1

(Berserk #1)

Created by Kenturo Miura, Berserk is manga mayhem to the extreme - violent, horrifying, and mercilessly funny - and the wellspring for the internationally popular anime series. Not for the squeamish or the easily offended, Berserk asks for no quarter - and offers none!

His name is Guts, the Black Swordsman, a feared warrior spoken of only in whispers. Bearer of a gigantic
Published November 4th 2003 by Dark Horse Manga (first published November 26th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Berserk, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Dannielle Considering Conan was one of the many inspirations for it, you'll most likely enjoy Berserk.

Ahmad Sharabiani
Berserk, Vol. 1 of 37 (Berserk #1), Kentaro Miura
The philosophical battle between Guts (the Black Swordsman) and Griffith (White Hawk), freedom vs. tranquility. The story centers on the characters of Guts, a lone mercenary, and Griffith, the leader of a mercenary band called the "Band of the Hawk". Themes of isolation, camaraderie, and the question of whether humanity is fundamentally good or evil pervade the story, as it explores both the best and worst of human nature. Both the manga and anime
EisNinE
Berserk: A Super-Dick Slaughterama the Whole Family Can Enjoy (Except Grandma and Grampa. And the Kids. And Probably the Significant Other. You Might Not Like it Either.)

[NOTE: This is really a review of the entire series. Reviewing every single volume sounds like one of those repetitive, mindless exercises used to break down the ego of a subject prior to brainwashing. Explicit and possibly offensive images and language follow, so don't scroll down if that sort of thing makes you feel twitchy
Ben
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This review will be my review of the whole series.

I think this is easily the best and most epic manga ever written. The drawing is grimy and it has this very old school 1980's feel even up to this day which i think gives it a little something extra. Pound for pound the most visually stunning and sometimes revolting thing I have ever read. Then there is the depth of the mythology. I think this manga has been running for something like 18 years and the story just gets deeper and deeper. I read all
Petros
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Medieval kingdoms, big swords, frenzied warriors, gore, nude, sex, intrigue, betrayal, demons, a quest for vengeance. Berserk is the encapsulation of the best parts of dark fantasy. You know how nowadays everything gets compared to Dark Souls? Even Dark Souls took heavy inspiration from it, if that is any indication for how well executed it is.

And why wouldn’t it be? If pretty images are all you care about, then you will never be disappointed as the artwork is amongst the best you can find in a
Michael Britt
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This is my first ever manga, and I really enjoyed it! And it was a super fast read! I've seen quite a bit of the anime and I really enjoyed how much more this added. Such a fun little read! I'll definitely be picking up Vol 2, later on.
Jokoloyo
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jokoloyo by: shanghao
Bloody gory dark fantasy. But don't underestimate this manga. This manga is not only selling gory scenes, but also there are some good promises in setting and characterizations. I don't know how the promises will be delivered, this series is still ongoing. When I write this review the series has been running for around 27 years.
Deanna
Since I have about a month till season 6 of Game of Thrones starts I decided I'd revist the other emotionally abusive, horrifically violent, series that I'm obsessed with. AND This series isn't yet finished either, maybe I'm a masochist.
KNIGHT
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
من جديد قررت اضافة المانجا اليابانية على هذا الموقع
خصوصا بعد ازدياد معدل قرائتي لها
مانجا بيرسيرك هي أحد أشهر المانجا المظلومة , فهي لم تجد استدويو يدعمها بشكل جدي لصنع انمي عظيم يليق بمانجا عظيمة مثلها
هناك عدة اسباب :
فمثلا المانجا تستهدف شريحة محددة من القراء وهم البالغين فوق ال 18 سنة
أيضا
فهي تستهدف فئة خاصة من هؤلاء القراء , القراء الذين ينغمسون في النفس البشرية و العالم المليء بالخطايا و أطماع البشر
/*/*/*/*
هي أيضا تمثيل قوي لأفكار دوستوفوسكي كما انها فلسفتها في التحدث عن الحياة فلسفة وجو
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, manga
With the release this summer of the newest Berserk anime, I decided it was time to revisit the Manga.

It's fun going back to the earlier Berserk stories. I forgot how different the original source material really is from the anime(s) they have made/are making.

The Manga is a lot more intense, it's more graphic and doesn't really worry about pulling punches. Hell, the very first panel, Guts is banging a demon slut...and it only gets worse better from there.

The art in this series is top notch and s
seak
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Blood, guts (in more ways than one), and huge swords (not even in the phallic symbol kinda way...okay it probably is). I haven't read a lot of manga, but this was great stuff.

Berserk is manga set in medieval times. It's straight-forward, good guy (who's kind of a dick) in pursuit of bad dudes doing bad things. It has it's mysterious elements that I'm interested in getting to know, but it's really all about taking people out...including slicing horses in half...and the dude has a crazy crossbow
Bogdan
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
When i read it for the first time, some years ago, I was really blown away.

Carmine
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Budella a colazione

Prima si fanno saltare teste e solo dopo si procede con le domande...sempre che qualcuno abbia il coraggio di porle senza trovarsi eviscerato prima di subito.
Mefistofelico e inesorabile come una sentenza, il mondo dell'incubo penetra nell'uomo senza trovare opposizioni di nessuna sorta.
Poco da salvare in questo mondo, forse niente; ed eventuali salvatori dell'umanità sono solamente sciacalli in fuga, abiette figure mosse unicamente da corrosive vendette silenziose.
Chiara
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Era un oggetto troppo pesante per essere chiamato spada.
Troppo spesso, troppo pesante e grezzo.
Non era altro che un enorme blocco di ferro.

BRIVIDI.
José
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to José by: Neo Marshkga
¡Impresionante! Fantasía oscura, un protagonista al que no le cabe una, demonios desagradables que comen gente y un escenario medieval... ¿Cómo carajo no me enteré de que existía este manga?

Los dibujos son impresionantes y el tono oscuro y pesimista de la historia es fenomenal; definitivamente lo recomiendo y me voy a poner a leer los siguientes ☺

(Gracias a Neo por la recomendación)
Bokeshi
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ah, Berserk: manga that dwarfs all other manga. Not all volumes of this neverending dark fantasy saga are equally gripping, but most of those covering the Golden Age arc are really outstanding, and when Miura is in top form he is unbeatable, much like his brooding anti-hero, the übermensch Guts.

The plot of Berserk is brutal and intricate, full of twists, turns and cliffhangers; the action is merciless, violent and gruesome; but the characters and their interactions are the crux that makes the s
John Wiswell
Mar 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
A messy little manga that feels like a graphic artist venting his Dungeons & Dragons empowerment fantasies. Here we follow Guts, the frowny badass with a giant sword, who kills a bunch of bad guys, gets caught and tortured for a little while, then breaks free and kills more bad guys. He goes on a trip and is jumped by skeletons, who he beats up, while frowning. He gets a fairy sidekick, who he frowns at. He’s in pursuit of more bad guys, for reasons we don’t know, but for obvious motives: he ...more
Garrett
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An awesome manga! I loved the art, the action and the mysterious character of the Black Swordsman Guts. Can't wait to read more of the series.
bookjunkie
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
***This is a review of the whole series***

Berserk is not for the squeamish. I tried to read a volume while eating once. I did not make that mistake again.

Dark fantasy apparently contains a subgenre called grimdark. It is what it sounds like: fantasy with a particularly grim and dark atmosphere, permeated with horror and dread. This accurately describes Berserk's gritty, violent, fantasy-medieval setting, but it is also realistic. I mean, humans created torture. Judas cradles, the rack, the wheel
juan carlos
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ahora entiendo por que me lo recomendaban tanto, tiene dosis de humor, acción, guerra y monstruos de corte lovecraftiano. Me gusto bastante.

¿Para qué leer berserk 1?

1. Por que desde la primera pagina nos vamos a topar con sexo y demonios.
2. El protagonista un espadachín negro carga una espada más enorme que el que le servirá para romper huesos, liberar almas y enfrentar bestias demoníacas.
3. tenemos una atmósfera de fantasía oscura que hace que la historia se vuelva escalofriante y adictiva.
Malum
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, fantasy
Berserk is an over-the-top splatter fest. While this is lots of fun, don't expect it to evolve much past that. The main character goes somewhere, brutally murders a ton of guys, and then goes somewhere else to repeat the process. If I had read this when I was a teen I probably would have loved it.
Peach Pettes
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Rusty Grey
This manga has violence , in its unadulterated form . Bloody , gory , gut-punching kind of violence . Berserk makes Game Of Thrones kinda fairy tale world . But it was intoxicating .

Berserk has a mercenary , Guts , as its protagonist . He's a master swordsman , with a big ass sword and an iron hand .

He is marked with a Brand which attract dark/evil forces to him . Thus he brings death and destruction wherever he goes . And we follow Guts on his bloodstained journey for vengeance .

Guts is despi
Sara
Wow, that was violent! A little too violent for me, but I thought it was well drawn and there was lots of comic relief with the little elf, Puck.

This is the story of a man with a brand. A warrior with mighty weapons who seems almost immortal. He's full of rage and sadness. The tale takes place long ago. We have the Inquisition, we have castles and dungeons and man-eating monsters who are almost invincible. We have corpses raised up as armies. The man has no name but Puck calls him Guts. Is his n
توفيق عبد الرحيم
amazing as expected
there are once in a life time stories and berserk is one of them the potential behind this simple manga the suspense the mystery of it all
what is a behelit?
what is the gods hand?
why demons are trying to kill guts?
how can you pencil pages so disgusting yet so beautiful
and using the inquisition trials was a very smart move
i love it cant wait to read more
Cheese
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent manga book which I picked up as a recommendation from Sarah.

I'm very intrigued and will start to look at the rest of the series.

I just wish it was in colour!
Maria
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
this is like lord of the rings of manga. I gotta dig it to educate (and respect) myself
L. McCoy
Holy crap... I have a new favorite manga!

What's it about?
In a brutal fantasy world there's this bad-a** anti-hero guy named Guts and long story short (or because I can't really come up with a good way of describing this story) this is his journey.

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story is super interesting, there is a lot more to it than I described just now (I just ain't the world's best describer of things and I don't like to give spoilers).
The main character is bad-a** and the other characters are also
Devin (Mostly Manga)
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorite-manga
This is merely an introduction to Berserk but wow. WOW. Guts is probably one of the most interesting characters I've come across. Obviously this guy's got some huge messed up history. The violence is awesome, and I'm expecting to see it get better as I read more. This, I believe is the Dark Fantasy I have always been looking for. Stuff that just makes me think "What the hell kind of a world does Guts live in?". That's the stuff I've been looking for. I was immediately hooked when (view spoiler) ...more
Hassan
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this is just right up my alley
Doğan
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kanlı, enteresan, bazen korkutucu, mide bulandırıcı ama güzel.
Ms. Bassett's P1A...: I wrote a review ! 6 22 Dec 05, 2012 06:27AM
  • Gantz /10
  • Vagabond, Volume 1
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 1: Blood of a Thousand
  • Blame!, Vol. 7
  • Battle Royale, Vol. 01 (Battle Royale, #1)
  • Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, Vol. 1 (Basilisk #1)
  • Claymore, Vol. 12: The Souls of the Fallen (Claymore, #12)
  • GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka, Vol. 1
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1: Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1)
  • Trigun: Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!! Vol. 1 (Trigun, #1)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 1
Kentarou Miura (三浦 建太郎) was born in Chiba City, Chiba Prefecture, Japan, in 1966. He is left-handed. In 1976, at the early age of 10, Miura made his first Manga, entitled "Miuranger", that was published for his classmates in a school publication; the manga ended up spanning 40 volumes. In 1977, Miura created his second manga called Ken e no michi (剣への道 The Way to the Sword), using Indian ink for t ...more

Berserk (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Berserk, Vol. 2
  • Berserk, Vol. 8
  • Berserk, Vol. 9
  • Berserk, Vol. 10
  • Berserk, Vol. 11
“If I have to worry about the ants I crush beneath my feet, I couldn't even walk around” 43 likes
“In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of God hovering above? At least it is true that man has no control, even over his own will. Man takes up the sword in order to shield the small wound in his heart sustained in a far-off time beyond remembrance. Man wields the sword so that he may die smiling in some far-off time beyond perception.” 11 likes